PG Music Home
Posted By: sixchannel IN A GYPSY JAZZ CAFE - 02/27/19 12:39 PM
I recently re-strung my trusty old Yammy APX3 with some 'gypsy jazz' strings to see if I liked the tone.
This resulted in this little tune, like you might hear in a little wayside continental Cafe. A bit GJ, a bit Latin - a lot of Fun.

Style is _GYPSLAT.STY (Latin Gypsy Jazz w/ Drums) with mods as below -

RealTracks in style: 1445:Bass, Acoustic, GypsyJazzLatin Ev 165
RealTracks in style: 1450:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm GypsyJazzLatinJohn Ev 165
RealTracks in style: 1449:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm GypsyJazzLatinGonzalo Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 1173:Accordion, Rhythm PopCalypso Ev 100
RealDrums [in style:GypsyJazzLatinEv: a: GypsyJazzLatinEvb: GypsyJazzLatinEv

Footnote - the strings are now gone, replaced by my usual Elixir PBs.

https://app.box.com/s/lsnteatcco7n0kaheji3vcrwym9lzp8i

Ian
Posted By: floyd jane Re: IN A GYPSY JAZZ CAFE - 02/28/19 11:45 AM
Ian,

I thought the tone of those strings was nice. Clean, clear, mellow. The guitar sits REALLY well in the mix - nice playing, too... I would guess that this was recorded with the guitar direct (plugged in)?

fj
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: IN A GYPSY JAZZ CAFE - 02/28/19 12:42 PM
Ian,
Nice positive tune.
Very good APX action!
I would bring accordion a bit closer. But that is just me, I like accordions smile

Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Jim Re: IN A GYPSY JAZZ CAFE - 02/28/19 02:15 PM
Great sounding guitar & composition...
I'm impressed with you talents & of course...
I enjoyed listening!
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: IN A GYPSY JAZZ CAFE - 02/28/19 02:29 PM
Well done sixchannel, thanks for sharing this! The arrangement is wonderful to and thoroughly enjoyed the chord progression. The accordion blends with the rest of the instruments quite nicely. Great work!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: IN A GYPSY JAZZ CAFE - 02/28/19 03:57 PM
Very nice. That is a great tone.

Superb performance on those strings! And the Latin/Gypsy vibe is cool...

And you wrapped in a nice mix package.

Enjoyed the listens.

J&B
Posted By: sixchannel Re: IN A GYPSY JAZZ CAFE - 02/28/19 04:02 PM
Thank you for the kind feedback. Much appreciated.

Hi Floyd - the APX WAS recorded direct. I found the GJ strings a bit hard on the fingers so have gone back to the Elixirs. The compo uses some m7b5's in the sequences. Thats a trick I learned from you, going right back to "Claire".

Hi Misha - I really like the accordion RTs and will use more in future.

Hi Jim - glad you enjoyed the listen. Its a nice bouncy number to play Live too.

Hi Joe - The tune came first and then got modified as I filled in the chords in the SGU. Thats wheat I love about BB - the ability to make a change and suck it and see. If its not a Go-er, change back in a trice.

Ian
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: IN A GYPSY JAZZ CAFE - 02/28/19 09:46 PM
I feel like the accordion is such an underrated instrument. Really glad to see it getting some love! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Scott C Re: IN A GYPSY JAZZ CAFE - 03/01/19 04:08 PM
Guitar sounds great. Excellent tune
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: IN A GYPSY JAZZ CAFE - 03/01/19 08:01 PM
Nice little tune Ian!! Very nice playing! Very enjoyable!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: PeterF Re: IN A GYPSY JAZZ CAFE - 03/01/19 08:52 PM
Very nice composition and some pretty playing. The guitar sits really nicely in the mix.

Peter
Posted By: sixchannel Re: IN A GYPSY JAZZ CAFE - 03/04/19 01:32 PM
Hi All and thank you for the kind feedback.
I'm quite a Fan of the BB Accordion tracks and have used them quite a bit in Sound Files that I cant post on here - because they are "covers". But now and then I get a rush of blood and come up with an original.
Cheers
ian
Posted By: Crossroads Re: IN A GYPSY JAZZ CAFE - 03/05/19 02:50 PM
Hello Ian,

you're a fabulous and most versatile guitarist !!! This tune catches exactly the mood you mentioned - very, very nice. Great yet smooth chord progressions, the axe sounds gorgeous.

Have a latte macchiato on me !

Cheers,

Stefan
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: IN A GYPSY JAZZ CAFE - 03/05/19 04:39 PM

Nice clean sound, very relaxing.

Sergio
Posted By: sixchannel Re: IN A GYPSY JAZZ CAFE - 03/05/19 04:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hello Ian,

you're a fabulous and most versatile guitarist !!! This tune catches exactly the mood you mentioned - very, very nice. Great yet smooth chord progressions, the axe sounds gorgeous.

Cheers,

Stefan

Thank you Stefan for your very kind words.
LOVE your by-line "what do you mean its out of tune?" - Same with mine - I cant understand it either - it was in tune when I bought it!!
Posted By: sixchannel Re: IN A GYPSY JAZZ CAFE - 03/05/19 04:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Nice clean sound, very relaxing.

Sergio

Hi Sergio
The Yammy is a very clean sounding acoustic - perhaps TOO clean. Thank you for your kind words.
Ian
Posted By: Crossroads Re: IN A GYPSY JAZZ CAFE - 03/06/19 09:28 AM
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hello Ian,

Cheers,

Stefan

Thank you Stefan for your very kind words.
LOVE your by-line "what do you mean its out of tune?" - Same with mine - I cant understand it either - it was in tune when I bought it!!

Hi Ian,

so we're sort of 'by-line buddies', because you wouldn't imagine how much I owe to you:

It was your by-line that tickled my first fun song + corresponding video ever out of me:

The Older We Get, The Better We Were (video)

Since then writing funny or even weird songs and make even more weird videos has become the pleasure of my (and my wife's) old days. I think we once told each other that our visions are poor, so everything takes a lot of time, but that's absolutely OK with me.

Just in case you want to explore some more:

All the videos

I don't thin that any of them would ever have been written and produced without your by-line, so you wouldn't believe how grateful I've been to you ever since.

All the best,

Stefan
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: IN A GYPSY JAZZ CAFE - 03/06/19 12:19 PM
Really nice work! Loved the groove on this, and thought it flowed tremendously well. I thought the mix was professional and concise as well. It sounds really crisp.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: sixchannel Re: IN A GYPSY JAZZ CAFE - 03/06/19 07:45 PM
Hi Stefan -great fun video. Glad the by-line gave you the inspiration.
Hi Deryk - thank you. It worked out really well. I don't Master too much - most times I take the mix I like and just give it some classic soft knee compression.
Ian
© PG Music Forums