PG Music Home
Posted By: ROG 57 Chevrolet - 02/28/19 07:52 AM
Hi Folks.
Those of you who remember my song about a GT40 will be aware of my love for what my wife calls
"unsuitable cars". (If you missed it you can find it HERE) This new song was inspired by the 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air
which I think is fabulous, even though in reality I could barely afford to gas it up at UK prices, let alone buy one!

So, the project started out in Realband where I added RTs for the acoustic rhythm, the horn section and the lead sax.
The other guitars, synth bass and keyboards are down to me. The drums are our own samples triggered by midi.
The project then moved into Powertracks to have all the vocal tracks added and then finally into Harrison Mixbus 32C
for the final mix and mastering. I would have mixed in Powertracks, but some of my 64bit plugins won't work
under J-bridge.

57 CHEVROLET
I fell in love this morning
The way I always do
It hit me hard without warning
That was nothing new
She looked so fine, cool in every way
I fell in love with a '57 Chevrolet

Standing in the sunlight
She took my breath away
She looked so neat in red and white
It really made my day day

I knew I should have turned around and walked away, but it felt so right
I know it's wrong but all I wanted was to try to take her home tonight

I saw her move around the town
I followed all the way
My head was spinning round and round
There's nothing I could say

As ever, I'm grateful to everyone who has time to give it a listen.
Cheers,
ROG.
Posted By: Al-David Re: 57 Chevrolet - 02/28/19 08:04 AM
Hey ROG ...

Cool song with some late 60s vibes. Love that drivin' bass line. And the horns punctuate it perfectly.

I can relate to this. I came back from Vietnam with some money in my pocket. I passed repair shop a weeks or so after I got back and there was this 57 Chevy convertible. It was black with a white top. I asked the guy at the shop how much he wanted for it. He cringed and said "Well, they're gettin' a little pricey. I gotta have $400.00 for it." i whipped out my billfold and pulled out four one-hundred-dollar bills faster than the human eye could see. I no longer have but if I did, it would be worth about $60,000.00!

Anyway, that was one really cool listen. Loved everything about it. And yep, I had a love affair with mine, too! excellent work, ROG!

Alan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 57 Chevrolet - 02/28/19 12:04 PM
ROG,

Love the groove here right from the start. That opening riff grabs you deep right off the bat. The sax adds to it nicely.

Once the vocal starts, the underlying organ and horns are sweet!
The guitar licks are nice. I think they need to come up a bit (HA!)
Bass is super.
The sax solo - nice!
Good vocals and background vocals.

A really enjoyable song. Very catchy, very "pop".

Nice.

fj

Posted By: F.M.M. Re: 57 Chevrolet - 02/28/19 12:13 PM
hi rog great work I like all of it great mix totally engaging thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: 57 Chevrolet - 02/28/19 12:23 PM
Layers and textures!! PROPER job, mate.
Posted By: tommyad Re: 57 Chevrolet - 02/28/19 12:48 PM
Rockin ROG, this had me in the groove right off the bat. Great write and the vocals are excellent. Good job on the production as usual. Loved it, Tom
Posted By: Jim Re: 57 Chevrolet - 02/28/19 01:54 PM
I really enjoyed listening to your little rocking tune about your love affair...
Those drum samples sound great as they propel & keep this song in motion...
Great work on this one!
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: 57 Chevrolet - 02/28/19 02:26 PM
Great work on this ROG, what a marvelous song I might say! This sounds very full and I really dug the chord progression. The vocals harmonize well with the other instruments. Well done!
Posted By: 44kfl Re: 57 Chevrolet - 02/28/19 07:37 PM
A sexy song about a car

I love it!

"good in every way" describes this song

nice vocals

that bass line should be a RT

enjoyed the heck out of it,

Kenny
Posted By: Will Josef Re: 57 Chevrolet - 02/28/19 09:48 PM
Outstanding good song!

Very good and fitting choice of instruments. Very well mixed - it sounds incredible good!

It is one of those tracks which reminds me about how much I still have to learn in order to reach your standard!

Thanks so much for sharing!
Will
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/01/19 12:01 AM
ROG,
Wow! This is kept me awake!
Very refreshing! Such unusual airy and yet tight mix.

P.S. Is that Marimba in background?

Thank you for sharing this nice gift!

Misha.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/01/19 05:38 AM
Bit late to the party.
What a great track! I think we've all lusted after some car or other in our lifetime. For me it was the very first Lotus Elans.
Love the song (chorused vocals?) and those horns are terrific but the guitar work is superb - those creamy,wailing infills are awesome.
It really thumps along.
Cheers
Ian
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/01/19 08:45 AM
Man, so good!

You had me hooked right from the start with that great groove. Loved everything about this, great song, great performance, killer mix.

Totally pro all the way, well done.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/01/19 12:11 PM
It was 1962. My parents owned a '57 Bel Air. I took my driver's license exam with it and fell in love with it.

Later I fell in love with another 1957 car. Janice's maiden name is Carr smile

This is one of those songs that does not require any "entry period" or thought. It just grabs you and you're off for a great ride!

This is a fine rock song and has a fun, infectious groove that also has a cinematic feel to it. It would work wonderfully in a cool movie of the period.

The arrangement is strong and the vocals...oh man they had Janice singing harmony on the first listen!

Your performances (on all the instruments) and the RT's work together perfectly. The sax was a nice addition.

We've been enjoying the spins and look forward to more!

J&B

PS: Janice says she'll order up her 57 in turquoise and white smile
Posted By: jannesan Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/01/19 04:01 PM
I'm not into cars, but despite that, this is a great soulful pop song. Truly commercial sounding powerful mix, I wish I could create anything like it... nice horns and that bass line is a great hook. Excellent vocal harmonies.

Janne
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/01/19 07:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hey ROG ...

Cool song with some late 60s vibes. Love that drivin' bass line. And the horns punctuate it perfectly.

I can relate to this. I came back from Vietnam with some money in my pocket. I passed repair shop a weeks or so after I got back and there was this 57 Chevy convertible. It was black with a white top. I asked the guy at the shop how much he wanted for it. He cringed and said "Well, they're gettin' a little pricey. I gotta have $400.00 for it." i whipped out my billfold and pulled out four one-hundred-dollar bills faster than the human eye could see. I no longer have but if I did, it would be worth about $60,000.00!

Anyway, that was one really cool listen. Loved everything about it. And yep, I had a love affair with mine, too! excellent work, ROG!

Alan

Hi Alan,
What a shame you don't still have that car! I've done similar things with motorbikes and guitars which I sold
before they became collectable, but at least we have the memories. Thanks for sharing the story and many
thanks too, for the review and the kind comments.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/01/19 07:57 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ROG,

Love the groove here right from the start. That opening riff grabs you deep right off the bat. The sax adds to it nicely.

Once the vocal starts, the underlying organ and horns are sweet!
The guitar licks are nice. I think they need to come up a bit (HA!)
Bass is super.
The sax solo - nice!
Good vocals and background vocals.

A really enjoyable song. Very catchy, very "pop".

Nice.

fj

Hi Floyd,
I laughed out loud when I read your comment about the guitar levels.
Who'd have thought you'd ever need to say that to me! Being a typical guitarist,
I tend to mix the guitars so that it makes your ears bleed and then start reducing the level
to one that I think I can get away with. Obviously I was over-cautious this time.
So, many thanks for looking in and the positive review - much appreciated.
Cheers,
ROG
Posted By: PeterF Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/01/19 09:03 PM
Rog
Brilliant sound, loved the horns, the vocal and the overall composition.
Absolutely top notch in all respects.

Peter
Posted By: furry Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/02/19 11:07 AM
Like this one Rog. Great arrangement
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/02/19 08:41 PM
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi rog great work I like all of it great mix totally engaging thanks for sharing eric

Hi Eric,
Thanks for dropping by and the nice comments - much appreciated.

Cheers,
ROG
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/02/19 08:45 PM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Layers and textures!! PROPER job, mate.

Hi Eddie,
Thanks for that - always pleased to get your approval on things, old pal.
Cheers,
ROG.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/03/19 05:25 PM
What a quality production! The vocals are sumptuous. Everything about this is an aural grabber.
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/04/19 08:04 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Rockin ROG, this had me in the groove right off the bat. Great write and the vocals are excellent. Good job on the production as usual. Loved it, Tom

Hi Tom,
As I've said before, always pleased to hear your opinion.
Many thanks for looking in on this one and the positive comments.
Cheers,
ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/04/19 08:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim
I really enjoyed listening to your little rocking tune about your love affair...
Those drum samples sound great as they propel & keep this song in motion...
Great work on this one!

Hi JIm,
Thanks for the review - much appreciated. Those drum samples have been built up over
the past thirty years or so, and the early ones are actually 8 bit! Pleased that you enjoyed
the song and thanks for the comments.
Cheers,
ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/04/19 08:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Great work on this ROG, what a marvelous song I might say! This sounds very full and I really dug the chord progression. The vocals harmonize well with the other instruments. Well done!

Hi Joe,
It's always nice to get a review from the "staff" - many thanks for looking in and for
the kind words.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/05/19 12:28 PM
What a tune! Definitely picking up some Beach Boys influence here, which is always a good thing in my books. Very summery and warm, and the harmonies are perfect. Definitely a California cruising tune.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Sundance Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/06/19 12:06 AM
wow, what a fabulous sounding rhythm section and on these little cheap panasonic headphones - I'm listening through a tablet - not easy to pull off with such definition. So big kudos just for that. grin Cool doubling on the vocals and harmonies too. Great job. Much enjoyed.
Posted By: Crossroads Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/06/19 11:29 AM
Hi Rog,

very nice tune, well-arranged and I like your singing.
Sounds great.

Cheers,

Stefan
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/07/19 08:13 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
A sexy song about a car

I love it!

"good in every way" describes this song

nice vocals

that bass line should be a RT

enjoyed the heck out of it,

Kenny

Hi Kenny,
That's very kind of you, especially the comment about the bass line - maybe I'll have a go at that!
Many thanks for the review.
Cheers,
ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/07/19 08:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Outstanding good song!

Very good and fitting choice of instruments. Very well mixed - it sounds incredible good!

It is one of those tracks which reminds me about how much I still have to learn in order to reach your standard!

Thanks so much for sharing!
Will

Hi Will,
Many thanks for the listen and all the nice comments - much appreciated.
Cheers,
ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/07/19 08:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
ROG,
Wow! This is kept me awake!
Very refreshing! Such unusual airy and yet tight mix.

P.S. Is that Marimba in background?

Thank you for sharing this nice gift!

Misha.

Hi Misha,
It's not actually a Marimba, but there is a percussive synth backing up the bass line,
which is what I think you're hearing. You obviously have good monitors and good ears!
Many thanks for the review.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: Scott C Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/08/19 12:26 PM
Boy do I love the bass runs in this song. Very cool vocal. This is an excellent song. Got a Traveling Wilburys vibe on this. Maybe a little Jeff Lynne. Well done..
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/08/19 10:20 PM
Great vibe, great sound!! I'm a '57 myself. I think Queen has a song "I'm in love with my car"...knew many people myself who had a passion for fine autos. Great song!! Love the sax, and vocals are perfect! Take care. Greg
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/10/19 08:34 PM
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
Bit late to the party.
What a great track! I think we've all lusted after some car or other in our lifetime. For me it was the very first Lotus Elans.
Love the song (chorused vocals?) and those horns are terrific but the guitar work is superb - those creamy,wailing infills are awesome.
It really thumps along.
Cheers
Ian

Hi Ian,
I remember the Lotus Elan very well, but the one I wanted was the Lotus Europa, even though my father said it looked like a squashed van!
Never got one, sadly. At the time I was struggling to run an ageing mini.
Hey, glad you liked the song. Chorus on the vocals? Well yes, sort of. If you're ever in a position to splash out on just one expensive
plugin, then get the Eventide H3000 Ultra Harmoniser. That's what put the stereo onto the vocals without it sounding too electronic. Back in
the day I had a hardware Eventide 949 Harmoniser which was fabulous when it actually worked, but it was only mono and involved a lot of
track-bouncing. The new plugins are excellent and very versatile, but a bit addictive, so only do the free evaluation if you can afford one!
Anyway, many thanks for the kind review especially about the guitar - coming from an excellent guitarist that's worth even more.
Cheers,
ROG
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/10/19 08:35 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Man, so good!

You had me hooked right from the start with that great groove. Loved everything about this, great song, great performance, killer mix.

Totally pro all the way, well done.

Hi Dave,
Many thanks for the review and all the nice comments.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/10/19 08:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
It was 1962. My parents owned a '57 Bel Air. I took my driver's license exam with it and fell in love with it.

Later I fell in love with another 1957 car. Janice's maiden name is Carr smile

This is one of those songs that does not require any "entry period" or thought. It just grabs you and you're off for a great ride!

This is a fine rock song and has a fun, infectious groove that also has a cinematic feel to it. It would work wonderfully in a cool movie of the period.

The arrangement is strong and the vocals...oh man they had Janice singing harmony on the first listen!

Your performances (on all the instruments) and the RT's work together perfectly. The sax was a nice addition.

We've been enjoying the spins and look forward to more!

J&B

PS: Janice says she'll order up her 57 in turquoise and white smile

Hi there J&B,
I just KNEW you would have driven one of those, Bud!
Hey, thanks for all the nice things you said about the track - much appreciated.
Janice - turquoise and white sounds good to drive around in, but too many syllables to sing!
Thanks again, you two.
Cheers,
ROG.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/11/19 02:17 PM
Great vibe, awesome memories. The '57 Chevy was a beautiful car.

"Body by Fisher" if I remember correctly!?
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/12/19 08:01 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
I'm not into cars, but despite that, this is a great soulful pop song. Truly commercial sounding powerful mix, I wish I could create anything like it... nice horns and that bass line is a great hook. Excellent vocal harmonies.

Janne

Hi Janne.
Many thanks for the review and the kind comments - I think you're too modest about your own
work though, you're producing some excellent tracks.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/12/19 08:03 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Rog
Brilliant sound, loved the horns, the vocal and the overall composition.
Absolutely top notch in all respects.

Peter

Hi Peter.
Always pleased to get a review from you and many thanks for the nice comments - much appreciated.
Cheers,
ROG
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/12/19 08:04 PM
Originally Posted By: furry
Like this one Rog. Great arrangement

Hi Graham.
Thanks for the review - pleased you that liked it.
Cheers,
ROG
Posted By: Deej56 Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/13/19 02:49 AM
ROG,

Very, very cool! Love the production choices on this throughout. To my personal, and totally subjective taste, I think I would have liked the vocals to come forward just a tad more—just some really nice harmonies working there that I would have like to pop a bit more. But regardless it's thoroughly enjoyable as is. Great listen!

Kind regards,

Deej
Posted By: dani48 Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/13/19 03:45 AM
Hi, ROG !

Me too a bit late but not too late !!

What a superb tune ROG !!!
One of your absolute best
without any kind of doubt !

And your vocals are do fit
absolutely perfectly to the tune !

Love it !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: David Snyder Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/14/19 08:08 PM

Love the sound on this ROG.

Very warm. Stunning vocal mix. Really, really tasty.

Great job.
Posted By: RnAM Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/16/19 05:39 PM
Hi ROG,

Ok, you had our attention with that cool drum sound right from the start.
This is a very interesting cross-over of Travelling Wilburys, ELO and the Beatles.
Wrapped into a professional song like only you can do.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/19/19 08:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
What a quality production! The vocals are sumptuous. Everything about this is an aural grabber.

Hi,
Many thanks for the review and the positive comments - much appreciated.
Cheers,
ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/19/19 08:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
What a tune! Definitely picking up some Beach Boys influence here, which is always a good thing in my books. Very summery and warm, and the harmonies are perfect. Definitely a California cruising tune.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile

Hi Deryk,
I love the Beach Boys, so really pleased with that comment. Many thanks for the review and all the positives.
Cheers,
ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/19/19 08:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
wow, what a fabulous sounding rhythm section and on these little cheap panasonic headphones - I'm listening through a tablet - not easy to pull off with such definition. So big kudos just for that. grin Cool doubling on the vocals and harmonies too. Great job. Much enjoyed.

Hi Josie.
I'm always pleased to see your name on a review and so pleased that you liked this one.
Hey, it's good to know the mix still works on the Panasonics!
Many thanks for looking in and all the nice things you said.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/19/19 08:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Rog,

very nice tune, well-arranged and I like your singing.
Sounds great.

Cheers,

Stefan

Hi Stefan,
Thanks for the review -glad you liked it.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/19/19 08:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Boy do I love the bass runs in this song. Very cool vocal. This is an excellent song. Got a Traveling Wilburys vibe on this. Maybe a little Jeff Lynne. Well done..

Hi Scott.
That's very kind of you - I've been a big fan of the Wilburys since they started out in the 80s so I'm thrilled with that comment.
Many thanks for looking in, for the listen, and for the review.
Much appreciated.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/19/19 08:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Great vibe, great sound!! I'm a '57 myself. I think Queen has a song "I'm in love with my car"...knew many people myself who had a passion for fine autos. Great song!! Love the sax, and vocals are perfect! Take care. Greg

Hi Greg.
Yeah, those were the days - great cars and cheap gas!
Thanks for looking in and for all the nice comments.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/25/19 08:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
Great vibe, awesome memories. The '57 Chevy was a beautiful car.

"Body by Fisher" if I remember correctly!?

Hi Don.
Hey, glad it brought back some good memories for you my friend.
Many thanks for looking in and the review.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/25/19 08:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
ROG,

Very, very cool! Love the production choices on this throughout. To my personal, and totally subjective taste, I think I would have liked the vocals to come forward just a tad more—just some really nice harmonies working there that I would have like to pop a bit more. But regardless it's thoroughly enjoyable as is. Great listen!

Kind regards,

Deej

Hi Deej.
Many thanks for the listen and comments.
I've never been over-confident about my vocals, so I probably mix them accordingly!
Cheers,
ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/25/19 08:03 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, ROG !

Me too a bit late but not too late !!

What a superb tune ROG !!!
One of your absolute best
without any kind of doubt !

And your vocals are do fit
absolutely perfectly to the tune !

Love it !:))

Cheers
Dani

Hi Dani.
Very kind, my friend.
Always value your opinion - much appreciated.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/25/19 08:05 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Love the sound on this ROG.

Very warm. Stunning vocal mix. Really, really tasty.

Great job.

Hi David.
Many thanks for the listen and review. Pleased that you liked it.
Cheers,
ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: 57 Chevrolet - 03/25/19 08:08 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi ROG,

Ok, you had our attention with that cool drum sound right from the start.
This is a very interesting cross-over of Travelling Wilburys, ELO and the Beatles.
Wrapped into a professional song like only you can do.

Rob and Anne-Marie

Hi Rob and Anne-Marie.
You're very kind with those comparisons - many thanks for that.
Pleased you liked the song and thanks for all the nice comments.
Cheers,
ROG.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: 57 Chevrolet - 04/12/19 10:32 AM
Hi ROG,

I love the vibe you've created here. Musically it's very, very inventive and incredibly catchy to listen to. You've got my toes a-tapping.

You really are a master when it comes to songwriting, arranging and producing!

All the best,
Noel
© PG Music Forums