PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/12/19 10:27 PM
The Reckoning Time

Years ago we were immersed in traditional bluegrass and playing in a frequently gigging band (Janice on guitar and Bud on upright bass in those days). It’s been a long and fun journey to our current bluesy Americana productions but it’s also fun to get back in touch with our music roots. So here we have a redo of a song we recorded 25 years ago with the great Randy Howard.

Recently we had an opportunity to share some time with floyd during which I played some of our bluegrass for him including the original recording of this tune. He suggested I create a BiaB version of it which we did…and we asked him to join in on the vocals which he did. smile And for which we are most appreciative.

Gospel songs have always been part of the bluegrass repertoire and we performed many in our live performances. We rarely wrote during those days but we did attempt to write this, hopefully, “traditional sounding” bluegrass gospel song.

For this remake we used two different structures of bluegrass harmonies within the song and I did a lot of comping to try for a traditional bluegrass rhythm guitar sound with the obligatory guitar “g runs” and a bass track that pretty much duplicated what we played on the original.

Whether or not bluegrass is to your liking we appreciate your comments!

Janice: lead and harmony vocals / Nectar 2
floyd: counter point vocal (third verse) and harmony vocals / Nectar 2
Bass: RT 592 is the basis with individual notes comped from RT 1393 for the walk up and down sections Logic Pro EQ / Waves Bass Rider / Waves CLA Bass
Guitar: RT 593 “G Runs” comped in from previous project / Waves CLA Unplugged
Fiddle Rhythm chops: RT 593 / Waves CLA Unplugged
Mandolin Rhythm chops: RT 599 / Waves CLA Unplugged
Fiddle Solos: Comped from multiple regens of RTs 596/2032 / Neutron 2 / EMT 140 Plate Reverb sim
Mandolin Solo: RT 820 / Waves CLA Unplugged
Posted By: Deej56 Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/13/19 02:50 AM
Janice & Bud (and Floyd):

What a nice sounding tune—generally I’m not a follower of bluegrass, but this has all the elements that attract me to a song: great melody, sweet, clean harmonies, and terrific instrumentation and backing. A total toe-tapper, this one. And terrific vox throughout. Outstanding!

My regards to you all,

Deej
Posted By: dani48 Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/13/19 03:40 AM
Hi, Janice, Bud and Floyd !:))

What a wonderful tune, that
tune can´t but put a smile
on everyone´s face !:))
Add to it that everything is
so professionally done as
it just can be , singing, harmonizing,
mixing, and , well, everything !!!
and it gives me great joy to listen
to !

Thank you all for this wonderful co-op !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/13/19 07:50 AM
Hi guys,

I know nothing about bluegrass, but this sounds good to me! Cool song.

Always a pleasure to hear Janice do her thing, and floyd is sounding good too.

Mix sounds good through the phones, Bud, and always interesting to read your production notes. I needed to google "G runs", never heard that term before! Learn something new every day smile

Good stuff guys and gal, enjoyed the listen!
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/13/19 08:14 AM
Janice Bud & floyd

You've done a superb job getting a wonderful sound. Looks like lots of comping there has resulted in a great track, and Janice sounds wonderful, loved the harmonies and Janice & floyd together always sound brilliant.

Top job on the production Bud leading to a terrific project and collaboration.

Peter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/13/19 10:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Janice & Bud (and Floyd):

What a nice sounding tune—generally I’m not a follower of bluegrass, but this has all the elements that attract me to a song: great melody, sweet, clean harmonies, and terrific instrumentation and backing. A total toe-tapper, this one. And terrific vox throughout. Outstanding!

My regards to you all,

Deej

Thanks! We appreciate that particularly from one who doesn’t follow the genre. Thanks for listening and taking time to comment.

J&B
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/13/19 10:31 AM
Nice work on this! Loving the classic bluegrass vibe on this. It flows perfectly, and as always the vocals are stunning. The harmonies are really smooth, and I thought it was perfectly catchy.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/13/19 10:57 AM
Janice & Bud / FJ
Nice collaboration. Very strong structure. Great harmony with FJ!and canon vocals. Janice, I am a fan of your voice!
Listening, I was very sure that some parts were played live smile Very good production and smart use of BIAB.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/13/19 11:51 AM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Janice, Bud and Floyd !:))

What a wonderful tune, that
tune can´t but put a smile
on everyone´s face !:))
Add to it that everything is
so professionally done as
it just can be , singing, harmonizing,
mixing, and , well, everything !!!
and it gives me great joy to listen
to !

Thank you all for this wonderful co-op !:))

Cheers
Dani

Dani, we thank you and even more for mentioning the harmony!

J&B
Posted By: Jim Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/13/19 12:42 PM
Man, oh man. oh man...
I love it...
I stand in awe...
The three of you know how to bake & ice a sonic cake...
Whew!
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/13/19 01:03 PM
Well done Janice, Bud, and Floyd! I admired the overall vibe on this. The arrangement is a pleasure to listen to and the mix sounds well polished too. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: 44kfl Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/13/19 01:48 PM
Unbelievably good!!!

feels and sounds very authentic to me

awesome, super vocals

excellent write

worth many listens,

enjoyed,

Kenny
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/13/19 05:15 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hi guys,

I know nothing about bluegrass, but this sounds good to me! Cool song.

Always a pleasure to hear Janice do her thing, and floyd is sounding good too.

Mix sounds good through the phones, Bud, and always interesting to read your production notes. I needed to google "G runs", never heard that term before! Learn something new every day smile

Good stuff guys and gal, enjoyed the listen!

Yeah, the FIRST thing you learn with bluegrass guitar is that run and then a zillion chord change runs. A great BG guitar picker once told me it him a year to learn the runs and 20 years to learn when not to do them! Thanks!

J&B
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/13/19 07:29 PM
This song has a lovely flow to it and, as always, the vocals are fantastic! Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/13/19 07:44 PM

Wow, you three, this is truly sublime.

A remarkable sound in all ways and on all levels.

Love it. And I DO love bluegrass. So I was happy.

Also, glad to all hear y'all three finally got saved.

I was worried there for a while. I hope Floyd did not corrupt you too much on the visit.
Posted By: Will Josef Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/13/19 10:56 PM
This genre is one that I know close to nothing about - I can just say that I really enjoyed listening to the song. I think the vocal performances sounded really good in my ears and I admire all the talent that the three of you have!

Will
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/14/19 08:55 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Janice Bud & floyd

You've done a superb job getting a wonderful sound. Looks like lots of comping there has resulted in a great track, and Janice sounds wonderful, loved the harmonies and Janice & floyd together always sound brilliant.

Top job on the production Bud leading to a terrific project and collaboration.

Peter

Thanks Peter for listening and the great review. Now back to the blues!

J&B
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/14/19 04:00 PM
WOW!! Lots of fun!! You guys have really captured the elements of that style...Could be on the Oh Brother, Where art thou soundtrack. Great job by all involved. Cool!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/14/19 10:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nice work on this! Loving the classic bluegrass vibe on this. It flows perfectly, and as always the vocals are stunning. The harmonies are really smooth, and I thought it was perfectly catchy.

Thanks for sharing smile

Thanks for saying that Deryk. The classic bluegrass vibe is exactly what we were looking for!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Janice & Bud / FJ
Nice collaboration. Very strong structure. Great harmony with FJ!and canon vocals. Janice, I am a fan of your voice!
Listening, I was very sure that some parts were played live smile Very good production and smart use of BIAB.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Thanks and we much appreciate you noting the live feel!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/15/19 01:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim
Man, oh man. oh man...
I love it...
I stand in awe...
The three of you know how to bake & ice a sonic cake...
Whew!

That was thoughtful and greatly appreciated!

J&B
Posted By: Chris37 Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/15/19 01:48 PM
All seems so perfect and evident in this bluegrass song !
I know there is a lot of work behind it.
Congratulations to you. Christian
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/15/19 07:44 PM
Is that Charlene Darling singing with the Dillards? smile Sounds might good to me. Thanks for sharing your prodigious talents here.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/16/19 10:39 AM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Well done Janice, Bud, and Floyd! I admired the overall vibe on this. The arrangement is a pleasure to listen to and the mix sounds well polished too. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for checking in, listening and commenting Joe. It’s appreciated.

J&B
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/16/19 01:17 PM
What's not to like here? Everything is properly placed, well written, extremely well sung by both Janice and floyd and mixed and mastered with professional ears, knowledge and knob twisting. The G runs sound perfectly placed and the bass sounds like the work comping it payed dividends. This is a fine example of Bluegrass Gospel and may be the only one ever posted on this forum. I have been studying Bluegrass lately so this was right up my current alley. Beautiful job by all three, Tom
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/16/19 03:55 PM
Thanks to everyone who mentioned my part in this - which was actually quite small. I just sang along smile

The real work here is, of course, all done by Bud and Janice. Pros, always.

Thanks for letting me tag along, y'all!!

I knew this was a keeper the first time I heard it!!
Posted By: RnAM Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/16/19 05:14 PM
Hi Janice, Budd and Floyd,

Such a happy and merry tune!
It's blue grass allright (would fit right into Deliverance/Southern Comfort wink
Top notch quality with outstanding backing vocals!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/16/19 08:06 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Unbelievably good!!!

feels and sounds very authentic to me

awesome, super vocals

excellent write

worth many listens,

enjoyed,

Kenny

Mighty nice of you to say all of that Kenny. It’s one of only 5-6 songs we write during our bluegrass years so it’s special to us that you like it.

J&B
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/17/19 09:54 AM
I love bluegrass music. It has such a cool feel to it. Feel good music. I got interested in blue grass music when I first saw and heard Alyson Krauss on tv..

This song is warm and inviting. Beautiful vocal and Floyds vocal was also so well done as well. Very cool track. Loved the mandolin and fiddle. So well produced as well.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/17/19 04:40 PM
Wonderful stuff, kids!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/17/19 04:43 PM
Great work folks! What a highly entertaining bluegrass tune! True to the genre in every respect and professionally executed by all involved! It's very obvious you are very comfortable in this style! Enjoyed it! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/18/19 09:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
This song has a lovely flow to it and, as always, the vocals are fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Ember!!

J&B
Posted By: Al-David Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/18/19 09:42 AM
Wow!!! This is just so good in every possible way! I never was a big Bluegrass fan before Nickel Creek, The Newgrass Revival and Alison Krauss. But in recent years, I've come to appreciate and like it.

And this is such a perfect example of the art. All three of you did an excellent job! That was three minutes of my life well spent and glad i could add it to my experiences. Just so good! best to all three of you ...

Alan
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/18/19 08:38 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Wow, you three, this is truly sublime.

A remarkable sound in all ways and on all levels.

Love it. And I DO love bluegrass. So I was happy.

Also, glad to all hear y'all three finally got saved.

I was worried there for a while. I hope Floyd did not corrupt you too much on the visit.

Thanks David for the great review! I’m happy to report that regardless of his best efforts we remain corruption free...well nearly smile

J&B
Posted By: furry Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/18/19 10:19 PM
FABULOUS song guys. This is the kind of song that would have gone down a bomb on Hee Haw years ago. A really good swingy toe tapper, nice melody and lovely harmonies too. Perfect recipe for a great song
Posted By: Tommyc Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/19/19 10:33 AM
Love your vocals, makes me wish I could sing! <3
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/19/19 11:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
This genre is one that I know close to nothing about - I can just say that I really enjoyed listening to the song. I think the vocal performances sounded really good in my ears and I admire all the talent that the three of you have!

Will

Thanks Will. Glad you liked it and that you enjoyed the vocals.

J&B

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
WOW!! Lots of fun!! You guys have really captured the elements of that style...Could be on the Oh Brother, Where art thou soundtrack. Great job by all involved. Cool!!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg. We lived and breathed that genre for many years - listening and gigging.

J&B
Posted By: rayc Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/20/19 06:49 AM
Smilingly good - the harmonies are spot on too.
Is there a different reverb or level of reverb on the fiddle? Its tone sounds great but it seemed just a little "different room" to me.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/20/19 10:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Chris37
All seems so perfect and evident in this bluegrass song !
I know there is a lot of work behind it.
Congratulations to you. Christian

Thanks for listening and commenting. We appreciate it!

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/22/19 07:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Is that Charlene Darling singing with the Dillards? smile Sounds might good to me. Thanks for sharing your prodigious talents here.

Thanks for your time to comment!

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/24/19 08:55 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
What's not to like here? Everything is properly placed, well written, extremely well sung by both Janice and floyd and mixed and mastered with professional ears, knowledge and knob twisting. The G runs sound perfectly placed and the bass sounds like the work comping it payed dividends. This is a fine example of Bluegrass Gospel and may be the only one ever posted on this forum. I have been studying Bluegrass lately so this was right up my current alley. Beautiful job by all three, Tom

Tom, you just made all the effort worthwhile. Thank you!

J&B
Posted By: rsdean Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/25/19 01:20 PM
Janice & Bud,

This is really outstanding! This would be completely at home on any Welch & Rawlings album...

Some great support from Floyd as well.

The usual high mix standard is all there - the clarity is really amazing.

Just the best!

Bob
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/25/19 09:23 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Janice, Budd and Floyd,

Such a happy and merry tune!
It's blue grass allright (would fit right into Deliverance/Southern Comfort wink
Top notch quality with outstanding backing vocals!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks y’all...we appreciate your support!

J&B
Posted By: edshaw Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/25/19 09:36 PM
What can I say that hasn't been said? You guys are
wonder-filled.
Posted By: cliftond Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/26/19 11:52 AM
Great song, love this style brings back some good memories!!! Cliff
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/27/19 07:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
I love bluegrass music. It has such a cool feel to it. Feel good music. I got interested in blue grass music when I first saw and heard Alyson Krauss on tv..

This song is warm and inviting. Beautiful vocal and Floyds vocal was also so well done as well. Very cool track. Loved the mandolin and fiddle. So well produced as well.

Thanks Scott...Janice and I once had the honor of sharing the stage with her. We appreciate your nice comments!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
Wonderful stuff, kids!

Thank you Don!!!

J&B
Posted By: animarorecords Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/28/19 03:54 AM
Janice & Bud, floyd,

What a fun classic bluegrass tune!
The music of this genre is rarely broadcast in Japan.
However, it appeared frequently in American movies I saw when I was a child. So they are familiar with my ears.
And it is fun to listen to anytime.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/28/19 06:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Great work folks! What a highly entertaining bluegrass tune! True to the genre in every respect and professionally executed by all involved! It's very obvious you are very comfortable in this style! Enjoyed it! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks Torrey...It was a fun trip back to the roots.

J&B

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Wow!!! This is just so good in every possible way! I never was a big Bluegrass fan before Nickel Creek, The Newgrass Revival and Alison Krauss. But in recent years, I've come to appreciate and like it.

And this is such a perfect example of the art. All three of you did an excellent job! That was three minutes of my life well spent and glad i could add it to my experiences. Just so good! best to all three of you ...

Alan

Thank you Al. We always appreciate hearing from you. There's a lot of good bluegrass out there and, like other genres, a fair amount of mediocre stuff.

J&B

Originally Posted By: furry
FABULOUS song guys. This is the kind of song that would have gone down a bomb on Hee Haw years ago. A really good swingy toe tapper, nice melody and lovely harmonies too. Perfect recipe for a great song

Thanks!

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/29/19 09:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Tommyc
Love your vocals, makes me wish I could sing! <3

Thanks!!!

J&B

Originally Posted By: rayc
Smilingly good - the harmonies are spot on too.
Is there a different reverb or level of reverb on the fiddle? Its tone sounds great but it seemed just a little "different room" to me.

Thanks Ray. I use Nectar 2’s verb module on all vocals and a few instruments. It’s a 140 EMT Plate reverb sim. On acoustic instruments I typically use Waves CLA Unplugged and its reverb which I did on this mandolin, guitar and fiddle. Perhaps I overlooked it a bit smile on the fiddle!

J&B

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice & Bud,

This is really outstanding! This would be completely at home on any Welch & Rawlings album...

Some great support from Floyd as well.

The usual high mix standard is all there - the clarity is really amazing.

Just the best!

Bob

Hey Bob, that is mighty fine company you put us in. We appreciate it!

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/31/19 02:33 PM
Originally Posted By: edshaw
What can I say that hasn't been said? You guys are
wonder-filled.

Originally Posted By: cliftond
Great song, love this style brings back some good memories!!! Cliff

Ed and Cliff, thanks for the spin and supportive comments!

J&B
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 03/31/19 05:04 PM
hi Janice&bud outstanding bluegrass tune loving the vocals great production to all involved thanks eric
Posted By: hitsman Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 04/01/19 08:40 AM
she has a great voice..this should be a radio play any day of the week
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 04/01/19 07:04 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Janice & Bud, floyd,

What a fun classic bluegrass tune!
The music of this genre is rarely broadcast in Japan.
However, it appeared frequently in American movies I saw when I was a child. So they are familiar with my ears.
And it is fun to listen to anytime.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks Shigeki for your time to listen and comment. Back in the 1970's several US Bluegrass bands had some success touring in Japan and from that came the creation of several excellent Japanese Bluegrass bands.

We appreciate your kind remarks!

J&B

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi Janice&bud outstanding bluegrass tune loving the vocals great production to all involved thanks eric

Originally Posted By: hitsman
she has a great voice..this should be a radio play any day of the week

Thanks y'all!!!!

J&B
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 04/01/19 08:27 PM
Kids, I SHOULD be able to arrange airplay in London and NZ with your permission. It's best to include a brief (about 50 word) bio.

Obviously, I can't guarantee anything but they play Josie Cooper's and my stuff.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Reckoning Time (with floyd) - 04/01/19 10:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
Kids, I SHOULD be able to arrange airplay in London and NZ with your permission. It's best to include a brief (about 50 word) bio.

Obviously, I can't guarantee anything but they play Josie Cooper's and my stuff.

Thanks Don. I’ll pm you.

J&B
© PG Music Forums