PG Music Home
Posted By: RichRayer Images for Sax - 03/24/19 05:27 PM
IMAGES -

https://soundcloud.com/richrayer/images

This is a little weekend project. I developed a chord progression and a melody to fit it than I recorded my sax playing and mixed it with the RealTracks listed below. That was all done in my DAW (Cakewalk by BandLab). It was a fun and relaxing experience.

Tempo of the piece was set at 92 bpm

RealTracks in style: 1901:Bass, Baby, Bolero Ev 090
RealTracks in style: 1905:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm BoleroMelodic Ev 090
RealTracks in style: 1903:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Bolero Ev 090
RealTracks in song: 2411:Sax, Tenor, Soloist BossaSlowJack Ev 085
RealDrums [in style:SalsaBolero: a: SalsaBolerob: SalsaBolero
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Images for Sax - 03/24/19 05:53 PM
Pretty nice Rich. Nice playing too.

Mike B.
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Images for Sax - 03/25/19 08:58 AM
Thank you Mike B. The piece was fun to practice and enjoyable to record.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Images for Sax - 03/25/19 10:51 AM
Wow - is this ever smooth smile Makes for a really good listened. The groove is fantastic, and your playing knocks it out of the park. It sound so vibrant and so textured.

You did a great job here - thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Images for Sax - 03/25/19 12:10 PM
Rich,
Nice smooth composition. Played and mixed very well. You poster image suits music, very relaxing smile
I would prefer more reverb on sax, but that is just my taste.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Jim Re: Images for Sax - 03/25/19 01:26 PM
Great composition & playing...
I certainly would love hear a collaboration from you & Mike B (cubanpete)...
Maybe you could even get Mr.BobaLew involved in a joint project...
Just thinking about the possibility sounds cool in my mind...
Perhaps this is a request you guys might consider.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Images for Sax - 03/25/19 02:14 PM
Hi Rich ...

As has been stated several times already ... so smooth. Love the sax ... it creates an edgy vibe on the fringes of the calm a real nice contrast! I've always loved Latin music and this combination of styles is especially great. That was real piece of ear candy! Totally loved it/

Wishing you the vert best ...

Alan
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Images for Sax - 03/25/19 05:01 PM
Thank you Deryk! It is always fun to get a chance to play my sax along with others. What you said about the piece "It sound so vibrant and so textured" is exactly what I was trying to achieve.
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Images for Sax - 03/25/19 05:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Rich,
Nice smooth composition. Played and mixed very well. You poster image suits music, very relaxing smile
I would prefer more reverb on sax, but that is just my taste.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Thank you for commenting on the sax playing. Recording in a home studio is not always the best place to get a decent sound. I am happy you thought it sounded good and relaxing. I will try a little more reverb and see how it sounds!
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Images for Sax - 03/25/19 11:12 PM
Thank you for the reply, Jim. They are interesting thoughts you have on collaborating on another piece. I am pretty sure that I wouldn't know how to begin to set that up. Seems intriguing though.
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Images for Sax - 03/25/19 11:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Rich ...

so smooth. Love the sax ... it creates an edgy vibe on the fringes of the calm a real nice contrast! I've always loved Latin music and this combination of styles is especially great. That was real piece of ear candy! Totally loved it/

Wishing you the vert best ...

Alan

Thank you for those comments. That edge is my tonal approach to saxophone. I can't seem to make it any more mellow (I really like that little edge) but perhaps a different mouthpiece would aid in that respect. This piece (even after being immersed in it all weekend) still has that quality you mentioned in your comments when I listen to it as well.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Images for Sax - 03/26/19 04:45 PM
Lovely song Rich. Sax sounds great. Really nice melody
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Images for Sax - 03/26/19 04:57 PM
Wow!

Very nice. The edge you speak of is what the two of us feel when a singer has soul or in this case the sax performance has soul.

That edge is hard to define but, man, you know when it's there! And when it's not.

Most enjoyable!
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Images for Sax - 03/26/19 05:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

The edge you speak of is what the two of us feel when a singer has soul or in this case the sax performance has soul.

That edge is hard to define but, man, you know when it's there! And when it's not.

Most enjoyable!

I know, trying to explain the sound of "the edge" is difficult. It is more something you feel and/or get expressed through performance. It is the soul of the music or maybe the person performing the music. I am not sure which.

Thank you for listening and especially commenting. :-)
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Images for Sax - 03/26/19 05:34 PM
Thank you, Scott. The melody was fun to develop as it almost flowed from me to the page.

I am glad you enjoyed it.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Images for Sax - 03/26/19 06:19 PM
Rich

Very nicely played and composed.
Most enjoyable.

Peter
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Images for Sax - 03/27/19 08:57 AM
Thank you, Peter. I am glad you enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Images for Sax - 04/13/19 05:28 AM
Rich,

What a great sax sound you have. As I wrote on Soundcloud, it's "shivers down the back" good!

In a nutshell, I thoroughly enjoyed your composition. It was a delightful experience to settle back, close my eyes and just let the imagery wash over me. Wonderful.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Images for Sax - 04/15/19 04:22 PM
"It was a delightful experience to settle back, close my eyes and just let the imagery wash over me."

Wow, I am glad you had a chance to listen and enjoy the piece. Thank you so much for those kind words.
Posted By: Riverbear Re: Images for Sax - 04/18/19 03:58 PM
Man, I love a sax... I used to have a sax player in my band. He did amazing things for the music I wrote. You did the same for yours. Kudos!!
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Images for Sax - 04/19/19 09:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Riverbear
Man, I love a sax... I used to have a sax player in my band. He did amazing things for the music I wrote. You did the same for yours. Kudos!!

I am glad that I brought back good memories for you. Thanks for listening and commenting.
© PG Music Forums