PG Music Home
Posted By: BlueAttitude Wild Horses - 03/25/19 12:54 PM
Wild Horses

Something a little different from Chris and myself, just a fun party type tune this time up.

Wild Horses (2019, Christiane Spruit)

I want a good night out
cause it is Saturday night
I've got to ring my friends
we're going out, alright
I've got some wild horses (x2)
I've got some damn good arguments
to set them free

I've been working hard
Each day of the week
and a good night out is all I need
I am going all the way down now
to dance and howl and shout it out loud
I am going to have a good night out
to shake it loose

Bridge (instrumental)

I've got to pay my rent
I've got to pay my dues
But on a saturday night I've got to shake it loose
I've got some wild horses (x2)
I've got some damn good arguments
to set them free

Outro vamp: free free set them free

The band:

RealTracks in song: 1583:Bass, Electric, TexasBluesRockShuffle Sw 130
RealTracks in song: ~425:Organ, B3, Background Blues Sw 120
RealTracks in song: 2436:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm NewOrleansShuffle Sw 130
RealDrums [in Song:BluesRockShuffle^1-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Open HiHat

I'm playing the slide and straight guitars, strat processed with S-Gear.

The basic bed for this was one I did at the end of last year as a platform for PeterF and myself to have some fun with the guitars. That guitar jam is here: Blue Stew.

When Chris heard it she asked if she could do a version with vocals. I modified the bed to work better with vocals and added an instrumental bridge.

Mixed with reaper using plugins from waves, mastered with Ozone8.

03/26: Also uploaded to soundcloud, although the sound is always better on reverbnation IMHO. Here: Wild Horses

All comments welcome!
Posted By: rsdean Re: Wild Horses - 03/25/19 01:26 PM
Dave / Chris.

What a great sound! Some real cool swinging rock n blues...

Great vocals and stellar mix. Outstanding instrumentation and playing.

Bob
Posted By: Al-David Re: Wild Horses - 03/25/19 02:11 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Dave / Chris.

Bob

Bob sure did sum this up perfectly. Blues Rock is one of my very favorite genres and this blows it out of the water. Man, this is some great listening!!!!! Everything about this is spot on - the composition, the mix, the arrangement, the vocal delivery, the backing tracks, and that mean and nasty guitar. I think that about covers it! Super cool song and performance. Loved it!

Wishing you both the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Wild Horses - 03/25/19 08:30 PM
Dave,
Nice resurrection! I remember this. Christiane did fantastic work! So cool, how vector can change with idea from a different person. A lot of heart and energy in it. I like march-R&Roll guitar parts at 1:10. Overall great production!

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Wild Horses - 03/25/19 09:58 PM
Very nice song and production. I especially liked the vocal performance... I'm actually a little bit jealous that you have such a talented singer to work with.. wish it was me! smile

Will
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Wild Horses - 03/26/19 12:35 AM
You guys just keep the hits coming...

Everything about this sounds good. No surprise there.

A solid rock/blues write. Chris' vocals are excellent (again).

Nice guitar work. The mix is superb. You make the BIAB organs sound better than anyone. The bass is even and punchy (what do you do to that?).

All around goodness.

fj
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Wild Horses - 03/26/19 02:14 AM
Dave/Chris,

Some terrific blues going on here—the bar will be up on its feet grooving to this one should you play it live. Really well put together . . . great stuff!

Best regards,

Deej
Posted By: rayc Re: Wild Horses - 03/26/19 05:02 AM
Fun song indeed.
Mix wise I reckon a little more guitar on one side to balance the almost dominant organ on the other is warranted.
As it plays there's no real prob. at all.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Wild Horses - 03/26/19 10:42 AM
Another good job from the two of you. Well sung, great game work, excellent mix. Everything works together perfectly, Tom
Posted By: Belladonna Re: Wild Horses - 03/26/19 11:19 AM
Very COOL Rockin' Blues. You both always do excellent work. Love it!!
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Wild Horses - 03/26/19 11:25 AM
Hot slide!

very cool bridge

great vocals

one cool song!

Kenny
Posted By: Jim Re: Wild Horses - 03/26/19 01:07 PM
Excellent production & Chris did a great with the vocals...
You guys always do a great job...
I really enjoyed listening to your tasteful guitar playing & her fabulous singing.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Wild Horses - 03/26/19 04:49 PM
Very cool song. Love this backtrack. Great sound from the B3 track. Strat was awesome. Chris's vocal were so good as well. Nice to hear the slide as well. One of my favorites
Posted By: PeterF Re: Wild Horses - 03/26/19 06:09 PM
Dave / Chris

Excellent vocal, nice lyric and overall production.

Loved the slide (very tasteful) and the "Hideaway" like break.

Wonderful blues - always a pleasure to hear what you two come up with.

Peter
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Wild Horses - 03/26/19 09:39 PM
This song had a really great groove to it! I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Wild Horses - 03/26/19 09:53 PM
Fun, fun, fun, rocking fun. I dig the RT organ along with your guitar licks. Yeah!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Wild Horses - 03/27/19 07:29 AM
Dave / Chris.

Bob

Thanks, Bob! wink
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Wild Horses - 03/27/19 07:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Dave / Chris.

Bob

Bob sure did sum this up perfectly. Blues Rock is one of my very favorite genres and this blows it out of the water. Man, this is some great listening!!!!! Everything about this is spot on - the composition, the mix, the arrangement, the vocal delivery, the backing tracks, and that mean and nasty guitar. I think that about covers it! Super cool song and performance. Loved it!

Wishing you both the very best ...

Alan

Thanks for dropping by, Alan, we appreciate it smile
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Wild Horses - 03/27/19 11:41 AM
What a tune! From the first couple seconds I knew I'd be into this. The groove is infectious and impossible not to move with, and the vocals are playful and really engaging. The whole tune just sounds incredibly fun. Definitely an earworm!

Really well done - thanks so much for sharing smile
Posted By: jannesan Re: Wild Horses - 03/27/19 11:42 AM
Nice rocking party tune, great vocals and playing. Organ is bit too loud to my taste, but guitars sound great!

Janne
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Wild Horses - 03/27/19 01:02 PM
Great work on this BlueAttitude, this is excellent! The arrangement is wonderful to the ears and very soothing to hear. Adding the organ to this is a nice touch. Love the effects on the vocals. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: Wild Horses - 03/27/19 09:16 PM
I am playing harp with it as I type
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Wild Horses - 03/28/19 07:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Dave,
Nice resurrection! I remember this. Christiane did fantastic work! So cool, how vector can change with idea from a different person. A lot of heart and energy in it. I like march-R&Roll guitar parts at 1:10. Overall great production!

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Thanks, Misha! wink
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Wild Horses - 03/28/19 07:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Very nice song and production. I especially liked the vocal performance... I'm actually a little bit jealous that you have such a talented singer to work with.. wish it was me! smile

Will

Hi Will,

It was actually Chris that contacted me, she wanted to work with a blues guitarist and asked me if I wanted to do some music with her after she heard an instrumental I had done. That was four years ago, I think we have done around 40 songs together at this point.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Wild Horses - 03/29/19 07:52 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
You guys just keep the hits coming...

Everything about this sounds good. No surprise there.

A solid rock/blues write. Chris' vocals are excellent (again).

Nice guitar work. The mix is superb. You make the BIAB organs sound better than anyone. The bass is even and punchy (what do you do to that?).

All around goodness.

fj

Thanks very much, floyd!

I normally use CLA bass on the bass tracks, sometimes Scheps Omni Channel. But on this particular song I didn't use anything, that particular realtrack sounded great just the way it came. Unless you are hearing something that Ozone8 added to the low end when I mastered it?

Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Wild Horses - 03/29/19 06:00 PM
Where to start?

Chris definitely has more of a rootsy sound on this...a bit of a different edge/phrasing than we've heard. Kinda sassy. It's great! As are ALL of her vocals...just cool hearing something different. Different is fun and good.

That sassy sound brought an image to Janice of Chris and Mick Jagger dancing around each other singing a version of this tune smile

And the guitar...man, we've run outa accolades. Your playing is simply sublime.

Oh, and that's the best we're yet to hear from an RT organ.

Love it!

J&B

Edit: Just read where you said first time for slide...really? That makes it even more special.

Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Wild Horses - 03/29/19 09:51 PM
Beautiful work Dave and Chris!! This is a tune that once it kicks off you can't pull away, it holds you till the end! Once again a fantastic vocal from Chris and Dave, you own the blues around here!! Great guitar work!! There is some super music being presented on the forum ad this is among some of the best around here! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Wild Horses - 03/30/19 07:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Dave/Chris,

Some terrific blues going on here—the bar will be up on its feet grooving to this one should you play it live. Really well put together . . . great stuff!

Best regards,

Deej

Thanks, Deej!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Wild Horses - 03/30/19 07:50 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Fun song indeed.
Mix wise I reckon a little more guitar on one side to balance the almost dominant organ on the other is warranted.
As it plays there's no real prob. at all.

Hi Ray,

I have the two guitar tracks panned opposite the organ, so not balanced too bad I think.

I thought about having the organ in the middle and then panning the guitars left and right, but that's the way I always do it and I wanted to try something different for a change.

Thanks for the listen and comment smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Wild Horses - 03/30/19 07:51 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Another good job from the two of you. Well sung, great game work, excellent mix. Everything works together perfectly, Tom

Thanks for the listen and comment, Tom, always great to hear from you!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Wild Horses - 03/31/19 09:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Belladonna
Very COOL Rockin' Blues. You both always do excellent work. Love it!!

Thanks, Donna! smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Wild Horses - 03/31/19 09:53 AM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Hot slide!

very cool bridge

great vocals

one cool song!

Kenny

Hey Kenny,

Thanks for mentioning the slide, this is the first time I've ever played slide. Something a little different I guess smile
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Wild Horses - 03/31/19 04:56 PM
hi Dave&Christiane great production super vocal nice guitar chops this mix was excellent thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Wild Horses - 04/01/19 10:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Jim
Excellent production & Chris did a great with the vocals...
You guys always do a great job...
I really enjoyed listening to your tasteful guitar playing & her fabulous singing.

Happy you liked this one, Jim!

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool song. Love this backtrack. Great sound from the B3 track. Strat was awesome. Chris's vocal were so good as well. Nice to hear the slide as well. One of my favorites

Thanks, Scott!

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Dave / Chris

Excellent vocal, nice lyric and overall production.

Loved the slide (very tasteful) and the "Hideaway" like break.

Wonderful blues - always a pleasure to hear what you two come up with.

Peter

Hi Peter,

This is the first time I've ever played slide, so I needed to work out the parts ahead of time. Much harder than standard guitar, for me anyway; I know you are a wiz at playing slide.

And yeah, I was definitely thinking about hideaway when I did that little break wink
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Wild Horses - 04/02/19 07:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
This song had a really great groove to it! I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
What a tune! From the first couple seconds I knew I'd be into this. The groove is infectious and impossible not to move with, and the vocals are playful and really engaging. The whole tune just sounds incredibly fun. Definitely an earworm!

Really well done - thanks so much for sharing smile

Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Great work on this BlueAttitude, this is excellent! The arrangement is wonderful to the ears and very soothing to hear. Adding the organ to this is a nice touch. Love the effects on the vocals. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, PG Music guys and gal!

Joe, not much on the vocals. Compression, delay, doubler, reverb, and vocal rider. pretty much the same as I always use.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Wild Horses - 04/02/19 07:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Fun, fun, fun, rocking fun. I dig the RT organ along with your guitar licks. Yeah!

Thanks for the listen, happy you liked it!

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Nice rocking party tune, great vocals and playing. Organ is bit too loud to my taste, but guitars sound great!

Janne

Hi Janne,

The organ is about 3-4 db louder than I would normally mix it, plus it is also panned and I would normally have it in the center. Just trying some new techniques instead of using the same mixing formula I always use. I'll revisit in the future if we decide to do something more with this song.

Thanks for the listen and comments smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Wild Horses - 04/03/19 10:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Bob P
I am playing harp with it as I type

Cool, are you interested in doing a collaboration sometime?
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Wild Horses - 04/03/19 10:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Where to start?

Chris definitely has more of a rootsy sound on this...a bit of a different edge/phrasing than we've heard. Kinda sassy. It's great! As are ALL of her vocals...just cool hearing something different. Different is fun and good.

That sassy sound brought an image to Janice of Chris and Mick Jagger dancing around each other singing a version of this tune smile

And the guitar...man, we've run outa accolades. Your playing is simply sublime.

Oh, and that's the best we're yet to hear from an RT organ.

Love it!

J&B

Edit: Just read where you said first time for slide...really? That makes it even more special.

Thanks very much Bud and Janice! Chris had a blast doing the vocals for this one, just fun to do something different.

Yes, first time for slide. I practiced for a couple of days before I attempted to record, and even then needed to do some punch ins to get it sounding clean and tight. But, I really wanted slide on this one, I thought the song needed it.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Wild Horses - 04/03/19 10:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Beautiful work Dave and Chris!! This is a tune that once it kicks off you can't pull away, it holds you till the end! Once again a fantastic vocal from Chris and Dave, you own the blues around here!! Great guitar work!! There is some super music being presented on the forum ad this is among some of the best around here! Thanks, Torrey

Hi Torrey,

Thanks for the very generous review! There are a few people here that produce top quality blues material, and I always enjoy hearing what they come up with. That's what I love about this forum, it's not a competition, it's a community with everyone supporting everyone else, no other place like it that I have ever found.

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi Dave&Christiane great production super vocal nice guitar chops this mix was excellent thanks for sharing eric

Thanks for the listen and comment, Eric!
© PG Music Forums