PG Music Home
Posted By: Tangmo Of Two Minds - 04/04/19 04:44 AM
Of Two Minds

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Of Two Minds
Key=C , Tempo 85, Length (m:s)=1:24
Style is _CSTRBAL.STY (Pop String Quartet)

RealTracks in style: ~518:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~542:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Dreamy Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~362:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 2334:String Quartet, Rhythm PopChamber Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 3267:Cello, Background CelticAirFlowingNatalie Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 2327:Koto, Synth, Rhythm NewAge Ev 110
RealDrums [in style:NashvilleEven8^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
https://soundcloud.com/user-47797156/of-two-minds
This started from a simple experiment to hear the difference when a new tonal center was introduced under a chord. In the first section, I used a I vi ii V progression, but alternated by insterting "slash" chords with a /3 in the first two beats of every measure followed by two beats with the natural tonal center.

I could be wrong but I was attemtping to emulate a heavy Phrygian modal influence, and borrowed a common two-chord vamp in that mode to end the first section. The difference was striking, and I knew I had to make something other than an "experiment" with it. This is the result--a "film-score" kind of piece.

In the second section I used essentially the same progression, but changed the alternating "slash" chord to a /6.

I really don't "know" what I am doing with theory. I'm learning just enough to be dangerous, but I don't think this will hurt you even if it wanders occasionally and briefly into a hint of dissonance to western ears.

I mixed (and edited) in Reaper, and left out the drums. They just weren't needed.

If you've read this far, it took you longer than it would to listen, but I hope I've explained things both correctly and with enough info to make a listen of less than a minute and a half a bit more interesting. I hope you enjoy.

I think I have found a way to get to SoundCloud, and will try to get back into the swing of things here (and there) once a week or so.
Posted By: Jim Re: Of Two Minds - 04/04/19 01:31 PM
A very interesting piece...
Its fun to experiment with musical sounds...
And its even more fun to hear the experimental creativity of others...
Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: jannesan Re: Of Two Minds - 04/04/19 02:16 PM
Chord progression sounds interesting in my ears, not complex, forced or too artsy smile The string quartet follows nicely your experiment.

Janne
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Of Two Minds - 04/04/19 04:28 PM
Hey there Tangmo, great work on this! Excellent mixdown on all of this and I really dug the chord progression. Really enjoyed the movement of the strings with the rest of the instruments. Looking forward to hear more!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Of Two Minds - 04/04/19 06:33 PM
"I really don't "know" what I am doing with theory. I'm learning just enough to be dangerous, but I don't think this will hurt you even if it wanders occasionally and briefly into a hint of dissonance to western ears."

Ha! You've probably forgotten more theory in a day than we've ever known smile

We like what Janne said, "not complex, forced or too artsy."

Great to hear a composition from you. We enjoyed it.

J&B
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Of Two Minds - 04/04/19 06:36 PM
This song has an almost haunting quality to it that is rather captivating. Thanks for sharing it with us!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Of Two Minds - 04/04/19 10:46 PM
Tangmo, this was really funny:
"Im learning just enough to be dangerous, but I don't think this will hurt you even if it wanders occasionally and briefly into a hint of dissonance to western ears."

Very nice tune! I could not care less about the theory or "by the book" nonsense when I am listening to music. It either talks to me or doesn't. This one does. Pleasantly arranged and mixed. Good deal.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Of Two Minds - 04/05/19 03:50 AM
Thanks all for the listens and comments.

Concerning "theory". Yeah, I've picked up a bit of the lingo and a small (maybe even flawed) understanding of a few of the principles. But just because a man wears a cowboy hat, that doesn't make him a cowboy. wink BIAB makes the learning fun, and sometimes something quite more unexpected than usual pops out.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Of Two Minds - 04/05/19 04:30 AM
I'm lost with the science but sounds good to me. Rob
Posted By: Al-David Re: Of Two Minds - 04/05/19 05:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
This song has an almost haunting quality to it that is rather captivating. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Hello ...

Ember pretty much summed up my thoughts as I listened. Loved the strings! They blend in perfectly and enrichers the over-all sound so nicely. really, really nice! Wishing you the best ...

Alan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Of Two Minds - 04/05/19 10:04 AM
"We don't need no stinkin' theory..." smile

Music Theory = If music sounds good, it IS good! wink

This sounds good to me. It actually involved mt left ear differently than my right ear - two things happening at once, complimenting each other.

Good to see you back.

fj
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Of Two Minds - 04/05/19 10:45 AM
It has tensions that build and release

a good thing

sounds great,

Kenny
Posted By: rayc Re: Of Two Minds - 04/06/19 05:05 AM
Interesting experiment and lovely texture/timbres brought to it but the panning really doesn't allow me a point of focus.I'm old and stereo imapaired - if I don't hear a trad stereo image I begin to wonder at the motivation/causes and then a wander from the point of waht i was listening to. I'm ADHD maybe?
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Of Two Minds - 04/11/19 11:10 AM
Wow - this is stunning Tangmo smile It flows gorgeously, and I love how subtle and gentle it is on the ears. Simply put, it's a beautiful song. It has a certain cinematic feel to it as well. I can imagine it sounding right in place as part of a movie soundtrack or something.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Of Two Minds - 04/12/19 11:33 AM
Lovely song. Such a nice piece to listen too. Well done..
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Of Two Minds - 04/16/19 01:55 PM
Very pretty!! Nice melody, nice arrangement. Great score music!! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums