PG Music Home
Posted By: Deej56 If I Stop Loving You - 04/07/19 08:38 PM
Hi, folks:

Feels like it's been a forever since I've been able to find some time to spend on the board. You've all been killing it if my listens today are any indication!

Anyway, here's a new one. This song was originally written by Dave Rice, a friend who asked if I'd be interested in giving it a try. Dave was kind enough to humor me with some small title and lyric changes, and here's the final result. Thanks in advance for the listen! Wishing you all the best!

Here's the song:

IF I STOP LOVING YOU

Here are the lyrics:

(V) If I stop loving you
my eyes will close forever.
If I stop needing you
the world will turn to dust.

(V) You are the only one,
we share memories made together.
Never doubt my love . . .
I love you ‘cause I must.

(C) We’ve known the road to riches;
had our moments in the sun;
we crossed a thousand ditches;
but when all is said and done . . .
I never will stop loving you.

(V) If I stop loving you
the streets will turn to brimstone.
If I quit being true
my broken heart will rust.

(C) And If moonlight fails to reach you;
and the darkness overruns;
when the end arrives to meet you,
I’ll be by you when it does.

And here's the band:

Drums: Country Even 8
Bass: Real 366, Electric, Country
Guitar 1: Real 522 Acoustic, Fingerpicking
Guitar 2: Real 405 Acoustic, Strumming
Guitars "Lead" 1 and 2: DJ Lekich

(C)2019 Words and Music by Dave Rice and DJ Lekich
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/07/19 09:23 PM
DJ Lekich & Dave,
Very nice collaboration. I like powerful vocals over mellow backing track. Interesting form of the song. Great voice control! Well performed and mixed.

Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Al-David Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/07/19 10:24 PM
Hello Deej ...

Dave is quite the guy ... great songwriter and all around nice guy.

This is a real nice collab. I agree with Misha about the strong vocal hovering over a mellow bed. That was a terrific listen ... i really enjoyed it. Hat's off to both of you ... wonderful song. Wishing you both the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/08/19 10:01 AM
Excellent vocal, man, you can sing!

Good song, enjoyed the listen!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/08/19 10:13 AM
Deej & Dave,

A very nice song.

I like that it is presented with a simple backtracks - giving emphasis to the lyric and vocal....an awesome vocal.

The stops (guitar) at times seem just slightly "abrupt"...I wondered if a hold would have worked better there? Like I said, though, it's a slight thing...

Enjoyed.

fj
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/08/19 10:22 AM
Wow - this is incredible! As others pointed out, the vocals on this are really stunning. Everything flows so well, and it carries some real emotion weight behind it. This is the kind of tune you feel in your soul.

You guys should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: rsdean Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/08/19 10:30 AM
DJ & Dave,

This is a great, great song! I love the lyrics.

The vocal is really outstanding...

Great mix and arrangement. So well done!

Bob
Posted By: cliftond Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/08/19 10:40 AM
Wow great song the vocal is amazing!!! love this style great job Cliff
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/08/19 10:49 AM
Nice ballad DJ!! Very reminiscent of Jim Croce! Great vocals and very appropriate backing! Good work!! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: 44kfl Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/08/19 01:36 PM
Sounds great

I agree with Torrey in that I hear a lot of Jim Croce, whose music I love.

a good emotional song and vocal

enjoyed,

Kenny
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/08/19 01:55 PM
Very, very nice. The music really supports the vocal well. It really reminds me of some of the great story teller songs. So cool!
Posted By: Jim Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/08/19 03:02 PM
Your wonderful vocal really gives this song its character...
Good backing tracks...
Like Floyd... I wonder what it would sound like without holds...
You & Dave did a good job on this tune!
Posted By: Deej56 Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/10/19 02:08 AM
Misha, Al-David, Dave, Floyd, Deryk, Bob, Cliff, Torrey. Kenny, HearToLearn, and Jim:

Thank you so much for stopping in. Glad this one worked for you all. I shared the link to the feedback with Dave Rice, and I know he’s equally appreciative of the kind words and the support.

Al-David: Dave is indeed quite the guy . . . this was our first time working together and I can’t say enough how magnanimous he was in tolerating my fiddling with his sweet tune. I’m hoping it’s just the start of additional collaborations.

Floyd and Jim: Yeah, that stop . . . well, I did do an alternative version with the fingerpicked guitar playing right through the stop. It sounded OK, but I preferred some degree of pause there (write it off to artistic choice). I didn’t think to try a hold instead . . . although I sometimes find the holds on a fingerpicked guitar track come off a bit loud and harsh, such that you need to fade them out a bit . . . I’d be a little worried about that . . . but if executed right, I agree it might make a subtle but important difference.

If I get the energy to revisit this one, it’s definitely worth giving it a try to see if it can soften it a bit. Nice ears, the both of you

Thanks all,

Deej
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/10/19 11:05 AM
The sparse arrangement and power vocal makes for a very engaging arrangement.

The lyric really allows you to showcase your emotional vocal.

And, it’s cool to see Dave’s name here at PG Music. As Al said he’s a good fellow.

We are all about soul and you are packed full of it!

J&B
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/10/19 11:35 AM
Hey there Dave and DJ Lekich, thanks for sharing this! Fantastic selection of instruments here and I dig the overall timbres. Very captivating lyrics and crisp guitar tone. Keep it up!
Posted By: tommyad Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/10/19 03:11 PM
DJ, nice collab. Very well sung. A good production and a very enjoyable listen, Tom
Posted By: PeterF Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/10/19 09:53 PM
Really pretty song, great vocal performance and a lovely set of lyrics.

Excellent work.

Peter
Posted By: jannesan Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/11/19 04:03 PM
I really like your voice and it fits perfectly the style of this song and the heartfelt lyrics. Beautiful chord progression and the acoustic guitar plays it nicely. Has some nice raw 60's vibe.

Janne
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/12/19 12:29 AM
Great singing, I keep coming back to this one. The first few notes you sounded like Cat Stevens to me, then it sounded folkier, then those belted parts and I realized you're just you! Really impressed with this.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/12/19 12:38 AM
Fantastic vocals delivering a very sweet lyric.
Posted By: Scott C Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/12/19 11:40 AM
Lovely song. Super vocal. Well done.
Posted By: animarorecords Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/14/19 03:03 AM
Deej & Dave,

Really nice song!
Very good melody and very nice chord progression.
I especially like this chord progression.
Your voice fits perfectly the style of this song and the heartfelt lyrics.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: musician17 Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/14/19 05:43 PM
Just one thing I'd like to add: I've heard much of Deej56's stuff on SoundCloud, including many of the songs he's posted on here. I honestly think he is a star and I, for one, am not fit to lace his boots - that goes without saying. Seriously, though - what a musician. The voice is distinctive - one of those voices that, if you switch on the radio and hear it, you'll immediately recognise it. The nuances and phrasings are out of this world because you can tell how heartfelt they truly are - and, especially when he writes his own lyrics and music, it's worth putting everything you're doing aside and listen. Through this song here, he's shown how good he is at singing other people's music, too.

I've asked some family members of mine to listen to your songs, too - just to get a "second opinion", so to speak. Every one of them concur - your songs are, in their words, classics. So please don't stop creating, that's all I want to say - you are unique with that distinctive voice of yours and your lyrics and music tell stories so worth listening to. I'm grateful I've come across your music.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/17/19 03:33 AM
Janice & Bud, Joe, tommyad, Peter janne, TuneMonger, Tangmo, Scott, Shigeki, and James:

Thank you all for taking the time to give this a listen and for your kind feedback. It seems you all enjoyed the tune, which makes me feel good knowing, hopefully, that I’ve done Dave Rice’s fine tune some justice.

James: A special shout out for your enthusiastic support . . . not sure I quite live up to your kind praise . . . but, boy, it sure is nice to read. Thank you so much for that . . . it’s not only made my day, but my week . . . and quite likely my year!

Like everyone here, I’m sure, creating music is not so much a choice, but what we are compelled to do. And so as long as I’m breathing, I’ll be giving it my best . . . and as long as there folks willing to give it a listen . . I’ll be game to share. Thanks again for the too, too kind words.

My best to each and all of you!

Deej
Posted By: musician17 Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/17/19 05:15 AM
You're welcome. I stand by every word I said. And, the other thing: exactly as you say, we all (the musicians that we are) don't really have a choice in the matter - we write because we wouldn't be able to carry on breathing otherwise; to us, creating music is as natural and as vital as that. I wish some others (such as some close to me that do not share this passion, to whom this "having to create" thing is quite foreign, alien, bemusing and even confusing) would understand this; i.e. that a musician HAS to live and breathe music, that it's not something you can switch on and off like a light bulb. So it's fantastic to see others that share this passion in the same way. I'll be doing the same as you, therefore - give it my best for as long as I'm around. I love listening to other people create, also, so I'll always have an ear open to hear new creations, too ... and, believe me, I can be quite direct if I don't like what I hear! haha. So: I know it's not really the done thing to praise others and express one's emotions in the way that I have about your music; but forget convention, if I find something amazing, I will say it (and if I find it rubbish, I will also say it!). So keep writing and sharing - and I will do the same :-)
Posted By: David Snyder Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/17/19 10:46 AM

Hey Deej,

Like others said, I really like the sparse arrangement here, very beautiful in its simplicity.

The vocals are outstanding. I love this tune.

smile
Posted By: furry Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/17/19 11:29 AM
Really lovely Song Scott, love the lyrics
Posted By: Deej56 Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/20/19 08:52 PM
David,

Thanks for stopping in and giving this one a spin . . . glad is was worth the listen, and appreciated the kind support.

All the best,

Deej
Posted By: Deej56 Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/20/19 08:53 PM
Thanks, again, James. Will do!
Posted By: Deej56 Re: If I Stop Loving You - 04/20/19 08:54 PM
Furry,

Thanks for the listen and kind words. . . at least, I think, as you may have intended them for Scott . . . but I’ll adopt them regardless!

My best to you,

Deej
Posted By: Noel96 Re: If I Stop Loving You - 05/11/19 08:33 PM
Deej,

This is absolutely splendid.

The melody, the lyrics, the arrangement and production and, most importantly, your outstanding performance left me speechless. This is first class music by every measuring stick. In all sincerity, I'm blown away by how wonderful this is. The build up of emotional intensity in the chorus resonated throughout all of my being.... very powerful listening!

I love the angst in your voice and that note where you stretch up into head voice left me spellbound.

If I had to use a single word to describe this, I'd say, "Exquisite".

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: If I Stop Loving You - 05/13/19 08:14 PM
Really pretty folky song!! Some wonderful lyrics. The style reminds me of so many songs I loved in the 60's/70's. Very passionate vocal! Wonderful job on everything!! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums