PG Music Home
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) NEW SONG: Everything Comes in Threes - 05/02/19 11:08 PM
Hi all,
Here is my latest contribution to the forum:

https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172/good-things-come-in-threes

The song is in 3/4 (and 6/8) but I wanted it to sound unlike a traditional waltz. It features guitar, accordion, piano, strings, bass and RealDrums (a mixture of 'Nashville' RealDrums).

As always, I encourage and welcome comments on the song, arrangement and mix.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: Tangmo Re: NEW SONG: Everything Comes in Threes - 05/03/19 12:33 AM
This is really lovely. Wonderful progression and melody. The ebb and flow in instrumentation as they joined and left the "band" kept this very fresh. I loved the slow-down at the end. It's one of my favorite things when it happens.

A minor crit...the ending might work better with a little editing to extend the notes at the tail end. Two bars is really not enough to always get a natural decay.
Posted By: olemon Re: NEW SONG: Everything Comes in Threes - 05/03/19 08:46 AM
The selection and blend of RT's is solid. Agree that the ending is too abrupt.

Very pretty song and arrangement. Enjoyed it.
Hi Mike, this was wonderful! I found this very easy to listen and rhythm is easy to follow. Excellent guitar riffs too. Great work!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: NEW SONG: Everything Comes in Threes - 05/03/19 12:56 PM
Mike
beautiful and cinematic. Very nice composition and instrument choices.
Accordion almost always makes things better smile

Suggestions... not much on this but two minor things. I think accordion would benefit from stereo width or reverb and so are strings. My 2 cents...

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Jim Re: NEW SONG: Everything Comes in Threes - 05/03/19 01:44 PM
Its been a while since you last song...
I'm glad you're back with this cool composition...
I enjoyed listening to it!
BTW... I couldn't find a problem with the ending...
I thought it sounded great.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: NEW SONG: Everything Comes in Threes - 05/03/19 08:53 PM
Hi Mike,

I'm sitting here at the moment listening as I type and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I absolutely love that interplay between 3/4 and 6/8 it's hypnotised me. You've done a great job with this composition. Your choice of instruments and those orchestral strings really sit really pleasantly on the ear. The mix is excellent.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: cubanpete Re: NEW SONG: Everything Comes in Threes - 05/03/19 09:30 PM
Nice blend of instruments and progression. I enjoyed it.

Mike B.
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
This is really lovely. Wonderful progression and melody. The ebb and flow in instrumentation as they joined and left the "band" kept this very fresh. I loved the slow-down at the end. It's one of my favorite things when it happens.

A minor crit...the ending might work better with a little editing to extend the notes at the tail end. Two bars is really not enough to always get a natural decay.

Thanks for listening Tangmo. I appreciate your kind and considered comments.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: Steve Young Re: NEW SONG: Everything Comes in Threes - 05/04/19 04:52 PM
Very nice, Garry!

I like the arrangement. The interplay between 3/4 and 6/8 goes well. The accordion really compliments the strings.

Really enjoyed this listen.

Steve
OLEMON:
Thanks for listening. I'm glad you enjoyed my song.
Cheers,
Mike

JOE (PG Music):
Thanks Joe for your comments. I love getting feedback from PG Music staff because you must hear so many submissions.
Thanks for taking the time to give some feedback.
Mike
Posted By: rsdean Re: NEW SONG: Everything Comes in Threes - 05/05/19 08:14 AM
Mike,

I love the arrangement on this - the rhythm is very cool.

Good track selection and a wonderful mix.

Much enjoyed.

Bob
Posted By: jannesan Re: NEW SONG: Everything Comes in Threes - 05/05/19 08:26 AM
Very nicely flowing rhythm, the chording is also nice. Lots of things happening in the arrangement, thus keeping the interest very well. Is that bass a RealTrack? I really like its sound.

Janne
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Very nicely flowing rhythm, the chording is also nice. Lots of things happening in the arrangement, thus keeping the interest very well. Is that bass a RealTrack? I really like its sound.

Janne

Hi Janne,
Thanks very much for your comments. The bass is not a RealTrack. I wrote the part (I played bass in a previous life). I used the Kontakt electric bass to get the sound I liked.
Cheers, Mike
Posted By: floyd jane Re: NEW SONG: Everything Comes in Threes - 05/05/19 05:26 PM
Mike,

A very enjoyable listen. The arrangement keeps the ear engaged throughout. Nice, consistent musical theme, creating an excellent instrumental.

Excellent mix.

I wouldn't know the difference between 3/4 and 6/8 if it bit me on the butt, but...I certainly enjoyed this... smile

fj
My question about the title was immediately (and sweetly) answered!! This is really nicely done. Love the way the bass and the melody play off each other! Lovely melodic piece! Wonderfully crafted Mike!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: NEW SONG: Everything Comes in Threes - 05/05/19 08:29 PM

This is delightful.
I very much enjoyed this. Nicely done. Rob
Posted By: rayc Re: NEW SONG: Everything Comes in Threes - 05/06/19 02:38 AM
Nice, though I think the hesitant bass, as well as it's slightly growly tone, in the intro is a little off putting.
Rustyspoon may be right about the accordion and strings benefiting from a little sweetening.
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Mike
beautiful and cinematic. Very nice composition and instrument choices.
Accordion almost always makes things better smile

Suggestions... not much on this but two minor things. I think accordion would benefit from stereo width or reverb and so are strings. My 2 cents...

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Thanks for listening Misha. Your comments are always so thoughtful, positive and helpful.
Cheers,
Mike
Originally Posted By: Jim
Its been a while since you last song...
I'm glad you're back with this cool composition...
I enjoyed listening to it!
BTW... I couldn't find a problem with the ending...
I thought it sounded great.

Thanks Jim. Your comments are much appreciated.
Mike
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Mike,

I'm sitting here at the moment listening as I type and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I absolutely love that interplay between 3/4 and 6/8 it's hypnotised me. You've done a great job with this composition. Your choice of instruments and those orchestral strings really sit really pleasantly on the ear. The mix is excellent.

All the best,
Noel

Thanks Noel. I'm glad you enjoyed the 3/4 and 6/8 interplay.
Cheers,
Mike
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Nice blend of instruments and progression. I enjoyed it.

Mike B.

Thanks for listening Mike.
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Very nice, Garry!

I like the arrangement. The interplay between 3/4 and 6/8 goes well. The accordion really compliments the strings.

Really enjoyed this listen.

Steve
Thanks Steve. The 3/4 and 6/8 interplay was my way of writing a 3/4 piece that didn't sound like a traditional waltz.
Cheers,
Mike
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Mike,

I love the arrangement on this - the rhythm is very cool.

Good track selection and a wonderful mix.

Much enjoyed.

Bob

Thanks for listening Bob. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.
Cheers,
Mike
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Mike,

A very enjoyable listen. The arrangement keeps the ear engaged throughout. Nice, consistent musical theme, creating an excellent instrumental.

Excellent mix.

I wouldn't know the difference between 3/4 and 6/8 if it bit me on the butt, but...I certainly enjoyed this... smile

fj

Thanks Floyd. I appreciate your comments. I guess you could say 3/4 and 6/8 are very similar but with different accents. In the end though, music is all about what it SOUNDS like.
Thanks again for taking the time to listen and comment.
Cheers,
Mike
Very nicely done, Mike!

I like the mix of instruments, just a top notch instrumental.

You had me counting beats to pick up the 3/4 and 6/8 timing smile I mostly think in terms of 4/4 and 12/8, but when my songwriting partner comes up with the basic song idea it is often in 6/8. Took me a while to get my head around it the first time she did that!

Good stuff, enjoyed the listen.
Wow - what a pleasant and calming tune smile The MIDI work on this outstanding. It sounds really lush, and really vibrant. Definitely peaceful on the ears, and love the groove and odd time signature you chose.

Really well done - thanks for sharing!
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
My question about the title was immediately (and sweetly) answered!! This is really nicely done. Love the way the bass and the melody play off each other! Lovely melodic piece! Wonderfully crafted Mike!! Take care. Greg
As always Greg, thanks for your considered comments. Cheers, Mike
Originally Posted By: Rob4580

This is delightful.
I very much enjoyed this. Nicely done. Rob
Thanks for listening and commenting Rob.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: 44kfl Re: NEW SONG: Everything Comes in Threes - 05/13/19 10:26 AM
very nice composition,

threes...I get it

makes for a very nice listen,

thanks for sharing,

Kenny
Posted By: Scott C Re: NEW SONG: Everything Comes in Threes - 05/13/19 10:59 PM
Loved this Mike. So very cool melodies playing back and forth to each other. Excellent listen. Well done
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Very nicely done, Mike!

I like the mix of instruments, just a top notch instrumental.

You had me counting beats to pick up the 3/4 and 6/8 timing smile I mostly think in terms of 4/4 and 12/8, but when my songwriting partner comes up with the basic song idea it is often in 6/8. Took me a while to get my head around it the first time she did that!

Good stuff, enjoyed the listen.
Dave, thanks for giving the song a good listen. Glad you liked it. Your comments are very encouraging.
Cheers,
Mike
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - what a pleasant and calming tune smile The MIDI work on this outstanding. It sounds really lush, and really vibrant. Definitely peaceful on the ears, and love the groove and odd time signature you chose.

Really well done - thanks for sharing!

Thanks Deryk. Your comments made my day.
Cheers,
Mike
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
very nice composition,

threes...I get it

makes for a very nice listen,

thanks for sharing,

Kenny
Thanks for listening Kenny and thanks for your kind comments.
Mike
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Loved this Mike. So very cool melodies playing back and forth to each other. Excellent listen. Well done
Thanks Scott. I appreciate your taking the time to listen.
Cheers,
Mike
Originally Posted By: rayc
Nice, though I think the hesitant bass, as well as it's slightly growly tone, in the intro is a little off putting.
Rustyspoon may be right about the accordion and strings benefiting from a little sweetening.
Thanks for listening rayc. Your comments are always illuminating and constructive. Cheers, Mike
That was a wonderful listen.
We both have a long standing love of waltzes...even untraditional ones smile

It's very obvious that a lot of thought and work were put into this production.

And it paid off...big time.

Very nice,

J&B
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
That was a wonderful listen.
We both have a long standing love of waltzes...even untraditional ones smile

It's very obvious that a lot of thought and work were put into this production.

And it paid off...big time.

Very nice,

J&B
Thanks guys. I always look forward to your perceptive critiques of my songs. I certainly appreciate your thoughtful and kind comments on Everything Comes in Threes.
Cheers,
Mike
I’m not sure if this is the right forum to mention this but…
I’ve noticed some great partnerships on User Showcase recently and was wondering if it is appropriate to ask here if there is a lyricist/vocalist interested in working on my instrumental songs or wait to see if someone approaches me.
Anyway, here goes.
Does anyone have any advice on how I could go about finding a lyricist/vocalist interested in putting words/vocals to my song, GOOD THINGS COME IN THREES: https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172/good-things-come-in-threes - or any other of my songs I’ve submitted throght the PG forum on Soundcloud.
Feel free to offer advice on whether this a foolish adventure or not suitable for this forum.
Thanks,
Mike
Posted By: floyd jane Re: NEW SONG: Everything Comes in Threes - 05/28/19 09:38 AM
Originally Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G)
I’m not sure if this is the right forum to mention this but…
I’ve noticed some great partnerships on User Showcase recently and was wondering if it is appropriate to ask here if there is a lyricist/vocalist interested in working on my instrumental songs or wait to see if someone approaches me.
Anyway, here goes.
Does anyone have any advice on how I could go about finding a lyricist/vocalist interested in putting words/vocals to my song, GOOD THINGS COME IN THREES: https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172/good-things-come-in-threes - or any other of my songs I’ve submitted throght the PG forum on Soundcloud.
Feel free to offer advice on whether this a foolish adventure or not suitable for this forum.
Thanks,
Mike

Mike - I think it's a great idea to seek collaborators on the forum (though, in this case, I would call them co-writers... "collaborator" always seems to me to denigrate the importance of what an actual co-writer does).

But... I think you would be better served by putting a new thread in the Songwriting forum (maybe the Recording forum if only looking for instrumentation "help") with an appropriate thread title... "Co-writer wanted!" or "Seeking Collaborator".

Putting the request at the "end" of a thread that has been on the Showcase for a while might not find "the right person", since many folks only visit a thread once and do not necessarily read the follow-up responses. A specific thread with a "Wanted:.." title would be more likely to get read by those who would be interested in being a part of it. And there are a bunch of very talented people in this small community....

(Also, those forums (Songwriting and Recording) see fewer posts, so your request would "stay on top" more easily and longer - without the flurry of activity that occurs in the Showcase)
Thanks Floyd for your advice Floyd. Your suggestions are very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to help out.
Cheers,
Mike
© PG Music Forums