PG Music Home
Posted By: Mr.BobaLew Bob's Waltz - 05/07/19 09:34 PM
Bob's Waltz - Copyright © & ℗ 2019 Bob Lewis ASCAP

Found this in my sketchbook ... from over over 40 years ago! BIAB provided the guitar, bass, drums.
Style is _JWALTZG.STY

RealTracks in style: ~546:Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Waltz Sw 140
RealTracks in style: ~549:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Jazz Waltz Sw 140
RealDrums in Style: JazzBrushesWaltz: a: Brushes b: Snare, Ride

Exported sound files to DAW for tracking, mix, master.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/07/19 11:14 PM
Great piano jazz number. Tasty backing for the keyboard which shines with a very peppy melody.
Posted By: Mr.BobaLew Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/07/19 11:22 PM
Thanks. I was peppy myself back in those days!
Posted By: rayc Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/07/19 11:27 PM
Mr BL,
it's a lovely jazzy melody - bright and fresh.
Give the small ensemble I reckon you could do a really cool mono mix of this to place the melody front and center.
Sweet and cool at the same time.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/08/19 01:21 AM
Hi Bob ...

Totally loving this ... Jazz Waltzes are a favorite genre/sub-genre of mine. This is a really cool piece! Great mixing on a great song. Loved it!

Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Mr.BobaLew Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/08/19 01:54 AM
Say hey, ray!

Jazz waltzes are just fun. I'll check out a mono mix one of these days.

BL
Posted By: Mr.BobaLew Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/08/19 01:57 AM
Al-David-

In real life I'm a bass player and jazz waltz is the most fun to play! Glad you like it!

BL
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/08/19 09:54 AM
Bob,

A real joy to listen to. Jazz rarely get me "dancing in my chair", but this did.

Excellent mix. (Though, like ray, I would have liked the melody line to be a bit more centered). Nice work on the keys...

Nice!

fj
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/08/19 11:12 AM
Nice! I played upright for years and always found waltzes fun but perhaps, at least for me, a bit more demanding on the instrument.

What's the source of the keyboard?

Enjoyed it.

J&B
Posted By: Jim Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/08/19 03:14 PM
Nicely done waltz...
I enjoyed listening to your composition...
I'll bet you've got a lot more tunes in your old sketchbooks smile
Posted By: Mr.BobaLew Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/08/19 05:02 PM
FJ-

I think the off-center is an artifact of an edit process that I didn't clean up. I can explain. You see, I'm trying to cut back on my coffee in-take.

BL
Posted By: Mr.BobaLew Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/08/19 05:17 PM
J&B-

I have played upright for 50 years now, which is amazing for a guy who is only 45 years old.*

The piano was the Steinway patch in Logic. I'd rather play the actual Steinway, but it is suffering from the springtime weather changes and is awfully in need of tuning just now. I use a StudioLogic weighted keyboard which >>almost<< feels real. (There is a Roland Fantom XR in the rack, but it involves a few more steps to patch in.)

The BIAB bass sounds so good that I usually just keep it. I can get a really good upright sound and perhaps tailor the bass lines a little more to my liking, but I can't improve things enough to justify the effort. BIAB is just that good!

Glad you liked it! Hope you still drag thumper out now and then!

BL

*That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Posted By: Mr.BobaLew Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/08/19 05:26 PM
Jim-

So much of what I have was occasional stuff, you know, written for a specific event or a particular performer - always delightful at the moment and then quickly forgotten.

I once wrote a tune for a retirement ceremony where I rhymed "precious metal vacuum deposition on ceramics", a remarkable feat that has now itself been unceremoniously retired.

But now and then I find a nugget in the slag heap! (There's a country song in that line somewhere ...)

Glad you liked it!

BL
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/08/19 07:50 PM
Hello Mr.BobaLew, thanks for sharing this! The different elements really glue well together and a solid key signature choice too. Thoroughly loved the basslines. Well done!
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/08/19 09:49 PM
The piano sounds fantastic. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/09/19 01:00 AM
Very nice! Great job on the piano. I look forward to hearing a lot more from you!

Steve
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/09/19 11:58 AM
This is a really solid piano jazz number - flows gorgeously and a lot of character. Really subtle but the more I listen the more it really stands out. The bassline on this is awesome as well.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Mr.BobaLew Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/09/19 11:48 PM
Joe, Ember, Deryk-

Thanks for giving it a listen!

Concerning the bass, that is BIAB all the way. BoxBass swings its' anatomy off, if you know what I mean!

Cheers!
Posted By: Mr.BobaLew Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/10/19 12:07 AM
Steve-

Thanks for the kind words. Piano has always been a fascinating instrument to me. From whisper to roar, from demure to bombastic, from hopeless weeping to exultant joy - what a range! But my prime instrument is double bass.

Cheers!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/11/19 11:37 AM
Great resurrection!
Pleasant piano playing and mix. Listens very well.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Buja Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/19/19 01:14 AM
Enjoyed your Waltz, Bob!

Though you are a accomplished bass player yourself, from the age of 5 wink you used the BIAB bass player.

That says a lot about the quality of the Real Tracks.

And this composition says a lot about your musicianship!
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/19/19 12:31 PM
Hi Mr boblew,

liked this jazzy thing a lot. Great composition, awesome piano job. Very, very nice.

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/19/19 03:15 PM
Gorgeous piano--quite the centerpiece, and the BIAB tracks fit so seamlessly around it.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/19/19 07:52 PM
Loved this, listened over and over. Wish I played any instrument as well as this, your second instrument, no less.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/20/19 08:18 AM
Very cool listen. Bass runs with the piano were very special. Well done
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Bob's Waltz - 05/20/19 11:26 AM
the Texas jazzman,

this sounds great, lively and refreshing

moves along with a nice pace and feel

love the piano melody,

When I was down there the bluebonnets weren't blue yet,

only the rust colored and yellow ones were out.

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny
© PG Music Forums