PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Working My Way To The Top - 05/08/19 04:25 AM
A short piece I wrote to spec as the intro song for a musical talent show. The various tracks are introduced in layers as the piece progresses. It was forwarded a couple of months ago but haven't heard back. I wonder which trash can they tossed it in! It's just 1:21 in length as that's what they wanted (1:20 to 1:30). I've considered making it a full piece of about 3:00. Haven't yet decided.

Working My Way To The Top

The Band:

File:Working My Way To The Top.SGU
Key=A , Tempo 120, Length (m:s)=1:20

Style is _BRIGHTP.STY (Bright Pop Rhythm Section)

RealTracks in song: 995:Bass, Electric, HardRockLA Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1729:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment PopBalladJohn Ev 110
RealTracks in song: 2911:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryPopBrent12-key Ev 085
Loop in Song: Chillout\Chillout - lounge_85_fx_f_sharp_minor.wav
Loop in Style: HipHop\Old School - neon_drums_95_g ev16.wav
RealTracks in song: 1853:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopUpliftA-B Ev 120
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleEven8^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/08/19 05:04 AM
I like the buildup and think has that "theme" music structure and progression you were aiming for. Sounds good, too. I'm not sure you should have ended on such a "sad" chord, but what do I know? I think it would work great fleshed out to a more "song-sized" arrangement.
Posted By: rayc Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/08/19 05:19 AM
It works and I can hear it doing as designed but you have a very truncated guitar chord at 0.09 that sounds like an error in editing.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/08/19 05:20 AM
Hi Tangmo ...

Thanks for the listen and comments. Glad you like it ... thanks for letting me know. As far as that last chord/note: By not resolving to the tonic chord, I think it leaves a sense of anticipation or a "hunger" for more. Since it was for a TV show, I thought that might be the feel it left. But, I could be wrong. I sometimes am ... my wife will testify under oath to that. I'll see what others have to say. I appreciate the feedback very much. Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/08/19 06:08 AM
Hi Ray ...

It seems you were replying as I was answering Tangmo. I'm aware of that issue @ :09. Every time I would attempt to get a "new" sound there with a rerecord, I got the same thing each time. I have a couple of Real Tracks like that for some reason.

But thanks a bunch for the listen and feedback ... and the good ear. Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: rsdean Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/08/19 07:02 AM
Alan,

Great piece! I love the way it kicks into high gear around the 34 second mark...

Awesome mix - you can clearly hear the way this is layered.

Loved it!

Bob
Posted By: Al-David Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/08/19 07:08 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Alan,

Great piece! I love the way it kicks into high gear around the 34 second mark...

Loved it!

Bob

Good Morning, Bob ...

Thank you so much. Glad it works for you. And that's the way it was planned ... layers up to the final one and then ... GO! Thanks for the very nice words! Wishing you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/08/19 07:22 AM
Sounds good to me Alan! I like the way it builds, and I think not resolving to the tonic is the right thing to do for a piece designed as an intro.

I could see this as full length piece, it has good bones.

Best to you and Di!
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/08/19 09:15 AM
Sounds good Alan. Well worth expanding. I liked the last chord. I think it worked well.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/08/19 10:00 AM
Alan,

Well done - as are ALL of you instrumentals.

Smokin' guitar that is fit very well in the mix. I could definitely see this being used for a show intro.

The very beginning could have used a pick-up note or two - it was a bit "abrupt", everyone-jump-in-at-once...

fj
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/08/19 10:17 AM
Sounds good to me,

as usual an excellent mix

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/08/19 10:41 AM
Very thematic for sure. Hope you hear from them!

J&B
Posted By: Al-David Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/08/19 11:13 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Sounds good to me Alan! I like the way it builds, and I think not resolving to the tonic is the right thing to do for a piece designed as an intro.

I could see this as full length piece, it has good bones.

Best to you and Di!

Thanks Dave! Appreciate the listen and your feedback. Sounds like the jury is calling for a full track ... just might do that! And thank you for the well wishes. Di has felt noticeably better the past 2 days. I'll pass your greeting on to her. Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/08/19 11:14 AM
Originally Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G)
Sounds good Alan. Well worth expanding. I liked the last chord. I think it worked well.
Cheers,
Mike

HI Mike! So great to hear from you! I'm delighted it works for you. I appreciate you letting me know. Woishing you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/08/19 11:17 AM
Nicely done - short, sweet, and to the point. Never a bad thing! I can definitely imagine this as the background music to a TV show intro or something similar. It definitely has a cinematic feel to it.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Al-David Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/08/19 11:19 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

Well done - as are ALL of you instrumentals.

Smokin' guitar that is fit very well in the mix. I could definitely see this being used for a show intro.

The very beginning could have used a pick-up note or two - it was a bit "abrupt", everyone-jump-in-at-once...

fj

Floyd ...

Thank you very much! Good call about a couple of pick-up ticks at the beginning. The prevailing thought seems to be it's worth a full song. SO, I think I'll do that just as soon as I can. I'll keep your comments in mind when I do ... thanks for the input. Best to you & yours ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/08/19 11:22 AM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Sounds good to me,

as usual an excellent mix

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny

Good Morning, Kenny ...

Thank ya so much for the listen and very nice comments! Hope you're enjoying your vacation in Texas. I know you have family down there close to where I used to live.

Just watched the morning weather report ... hope the predicted storms aren't too bad! Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/08/19 11:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Very thematic for sure. Hope you hear from them!

J&B

Howdy Friends In The Next State Over ...

Thank ya so much! Sometimes when you think they've forgotten your song you hear back with a nice surprise. And if you don't hear back, it's NOT a surprise! You know how that is!!!

Wishing you both the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/08/19 11:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nicely done - short, sweet, and to the point. Never a bad thing! I can definitely imagine this as the background music to a TV show intro or something similar. It definitely has a cinematic feel to it.

Thanks for sharing smile

Good Morning, Deryk ...

You're up bright and early out there on the West Coast! Thanks so much for the listen and your encouragement. I appreciate all that ... very much! Wishing you & yours everything good ...

Alan
Posted By: Jim Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/08/19 03:05 PM
Good job...
I can't think of anything more than what others have already said...
Its good & I do hope you get a call-back.
BTW... Give Di a hug & best wishes from me.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/08/19 08:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim
Good job...
I can't think of anything more than what others have already said...
Its good & I do hope you get a call-back.
BTW... Give Di a hug & best wishes from me.

Thanks Jim ... much appreciated. You never know about those film & TV music directors. I'm always the optimist but never get down if I don't get the call. Life brings what it does (or doesn't) and I deal with it! Again, many thanks. Wishing you the best ...

Alan
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/08/19 09:50 PM
I feel like it's really appropriate for a talent show! If you do ever make it in to a full song like you want to please make sure to share it with us. grin
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/09/19 01:14 AM
Sounds really good to me, Alan! Have you submitted it anywhere?

As to the guitar chord at :09, what I will often do is find a measure on this instrument that's not a "come in" measure that has the same chord in beat 1, and it is generated differently - so I copy that 1 measure, and paste it in place of the offending measure. You probably already do this, and perhaps this particular rt is stubborn. smile

Love this one!

Steve
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/09/19 07:54 AM
Nice piece. I like the end chord. Because it is a talent show, I agree with you that it builds the anticipation of what is to come, the excitement of the competition. If this were an intro for a sitcom, then I think it wouldn't work.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/09/19 02:53 PM
Nice little instrumental Alan!! Very spirited song! Good luck on the pitch!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/09/19 06:45 PM
Alan, I can see this fulfilling it's intended purpose! Everything sounds right to me! You have a remarkable ability to write to many different needs for songs and seem to be able to it quickly! Good work! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: gruverider Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/09/19 09:42 PM
Wonderful vibe! And when the lead guitar kicks in it's captivating!

Great composition!
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/09/19 09:56 PM
I think it is a very good piece of music and it is their loss if they do not respond to you.

Well done!
Will
Posted By: Scott C Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/10/19 08:35 PM
Awesome guitar work Alan. Well done
Posted By: Al-David Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/10/19 08:40 PM
Many thanks to all who have commented since my last reply. I sincerely appreciate all the kind words. Di's medical issues have kept me away from the boards other than very short look-ins. But ... she is getting better!

Again, thanks so very much!

Alan
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/19/19 12:46 PM
Hi, dear Alan,

whatever song you write, they're all great and I haven't heard a single one which I wouldn't have liked a lot. This one is no exception: very, very nice. I can't imagine it was put in a trash can; I'd rather put it on a mantlepiece ;-)).

I definitely would love to listen to a longer version - the material is just too good to leave it at that.

Al, please excuse the shortness of this comment - I do hope that you and most of all Di are good.

All the best to you and Di, dear friend,

Stefan

PS: I'd like to have rayc's ears...
Posted By: Al-David Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/20/19 07:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
I feel like it's really appropriate for a talent show! If you do ever make it in to a full song like you want to please make sure to share it with us. grin

Thank you, Ember! It's great to know the PG Music folks look in our use of your great software! Berst to you ...

ALan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/20/19 07:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Sounds really good to me, Alan! Have you submitted it anywhere?

As to the guitar chord at :09, what I will often do is find a measure on this instrument that's not a "come in" measure that has the same chord in beat 1, and it is generated differently - so I copy that 1 measure, and paste it in place of the offending measure. You probably already do this, and perhaps this particular rt is stubborn. smile

Love this one!

Steve

Hi Steve ...

It's just a stubborn track! No matter what I put in that measure, it comes out truncated. I've even tried different instruments and get the same results. But thanks for the suggestions anyway! Gl;ad you like it! Still haven't heard back. Oh well!

Wishing you & yours the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/20/19 07:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Nice piece. I like the end chord. Because it is a talent show, I agree with you that it builds the anticipation of what is to come, the excitement of the competition. If this were an intro for a sitcom, then I think it wouldn't work.

Good Morning!

Thank you for the very nice comments! Sure do appreciate them! Best to you & yours ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/20/19 07:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Nice little instrumental Alan!! Very spirited song! Good luck on the pitch!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg! Still haven't heard anything back, yet! If it's accepted, that's good. If it's not accepted, my life won't be ruined! I've always believed that things happen the way they do. I can live very comfortably with that.! Best to you. Wishing you and yours nothing but the best ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/20/19 07:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Alan, I can see this fulfilling it's intended purpose! Everything sounds right to me! You have a remarkable ability to write to many different needs for songs and seem to be able to it quickly! Good work! Thanks, Torrey

Hi Torrey ...

Thank you very much. I appreciate those very nice words! We'll see what happens with the pitch! Best to you, my friend!

Alan
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Working My Way To The Top - 05/28/19 03:46 AM
Alan,

Great sound!
I also think it would make a good opening song to a musical TV program.
I agree with Dave.
I also could see this as full length piece, it has good bones.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Working My Way To The Top - 06/14/19 10:25 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Alan,

Loved it!

Bob

Hi Alan,

I agree with Bob. When you opened full throttle, my first reaction was "This is great!". Arrangements such as these seem to come so very easily to you. you definitely have the knack for fine and diverse music.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: dcuny Re: Working My Way To The Top - 06/14/19 11:31 PM
Late to the party, but hopefully not to late to say I like it.
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Working My Way To The Top - 06/20/19 12:32 PM
Good work on this Al-David! That piano really does shine through the mix. Thanks for sharing!
© PG Music Forums