PG Music Home
Posted By: Tangmo Mine the Mind - 05/16/19 10:47 AM
Mine the Mind

I've never written a big rock number in BIAB or elsewhere. This started as an attempt to write a progression in support of a harmonic minor descending scale. I laid it aside for months, so I can't really remember if it ended that way or turned into something else. Regardless, I reopened it a while back and in regenerating, this collection of riffs came out and I was hooked.

I'm posting it now, but I am wide-open for collaboration with either a rock singer or guitar player who might feel moved.

Mixed in Reaper. One "unusual" thing I did was render two versions of the chording organ, and pan one left and one right to try to "amp up" the play. You might also note that one is holding a Cm at the end while the other holds an Am.

****** Song Summary *************

Key=Cm , Tempo 90, Length (m:s)=3:30
Style is _NRTROCK.STY (Northern Rock Swing 16ths)

RealTracks in style: 1191:Bass, Electric, NorthernRock Sw16 075
RealTracks in style: 625:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Rascal Sw 075
RealTracks in style: 875:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm NorthernRockFuzzyA-B Sw16 075
RealTracks in style: 878:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm NorthernRockGrittyA-B Sw16 075
RealTracks in song: ~689:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 085
RealDrums [in style:RockNorthern^4-a:Snare, Loose HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Mine the Mind - 05/16/19 12:06 PM
Nice work Tangmo, this is excellent! Fantastic selection of instruments here and the mix sounds well polished too. The organ really helps piece it all together. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Jim Re: Mine the Mind - 05/16/19 12:56 PM
Interesting sounding piece...
I'll be looking forward to see where you & others take it.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Mine the Mind - 05/16/19 04:49 PM
Tangmo,

A good rock track. At times I thought the bass was a bit "overbearing". Everything else sounded good. The organ panning works really well. A good overall rock rhythm to it...

fj
Posted By: rayc Re: Mine the Mind - 05/16/19 06:11 PM
It's the bed for something interesting - hope you get it to a completed stage.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Mine the Mind - 05/16/19 07:00 PM
Tangmo, listening to this brings back shades of memories of tunes from the late 60's into the early 70's! I agree with Ray that you have the music bed started for something pretty good! I hope you can develop a great lyric to go with it! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Mine the Mind - 05/17/19 06:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Tangmo, listening to this brings back shades of memories of tunes from the late 60's into the early 70's! I agree with Ray that you have the music bed started for something pretty good! I hope you can develop a great lyric to go with it! Thanks, Torrey

Well, Torrey...I don't know if it's a "great" lyric, but I finally have one--at least 95% of one. Since in all likelihood I'll be listening to this song more than everybody else combined, I wrote it to entertain myself. That's why I do this. I get tired of waiting for other people to make the music I want to hear.

BUT...I've never had a "rock" voice...sometimes the blues, maybe...but never a rock song. What's worse is that I am so out of practice singing that I don't think I'd ever be to do it justice.

Then...I can probably cut a demo, and I think I can handle some rock harmonies in the chorus over this weird progression, but I'm serious about wanting a singer. Since "Last Man In Europe" hit the showcase, I think you may have it.

So...I'm calling you out publicly. Do or decline. I'll show you where to hang the syllables and help with pronunciation (to mine my mind on the reason for that, you'll have to commit).

OK...I'm only half-serious. But it's the serious half that wants to get this done. Next, I'm going to make ScottC and Dave wrestle to see who plays the middle. If it's a tie, I'll take them both. You watch this space.

wink

In the meantime, thanks all for the ears and the encouragement.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Mine the Mind - 05/17/19 07:28 AM
Sounds great to me, I like the progression and groove.

Might want to shoot Torrey a PM in case he doesn't see your comments.

As far as the guitar goes, sure I could give it a shot, or if Scott wants to do something that's totally cool with me. Not going to wrestle for it eek Time is tight for me though, only have a week then I'm on vacation for a couple of weeks.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Mine the Mind - 05/17/19 11:36 AM
Wow - this is the kind of tune I knew in about 15 seconds that I'd enjoy smile Really powerful groove - got a nice thump to it. Reminds me of classic rock from the 70's, which is always a good thing in my book. Some awesome progressions here too.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Skyline Re: Mine the Mind - 05/17/19 02:15 PM
Sounds like an excellent stem for some vocals and lead guitar - love the chord changes on the ascending parts, different!!

John
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Mine the Mind - 05/17/19 03:23 PM
Outstanding bed and there is assuredly the rock talent on this forum to finish it!

J&B
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Mine the Mind - 05/17/19 08:49 PM
This has a really great sound to it! Hope you find someone to collab with.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Mine the Mind - 05/17/19 10:51 PM
Tangmo,
Interesting progression! You forgot lyrics? You are usually very good at that smile
Organ was a classy touch.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Mine the Mind - 05/18/19 11:59 AM
Sorry was a little late responding to the post. Loved this backtrack. Was reading through the comments and noticed the shout to help out on the track. Send me a PM and I will chat with you then.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Mine the Mind - 05/19/19 12:10 PM
Thanks again, all. There is traction, so I'm feeling good.

And I hope Torrey can forgive me for pouncing on his post to make my naked plea. A single emoticon at the end of all that doesn't really convey just hard hard I was pulling legs. smile smile wink

I'm still half serious, though.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Mine the Mind - 05/19/19 02:32 PM
Tangmo,

Great progression and track selection. Love the feel of it...

I especially like the "Who" like vibe in a couple of the progressions - very nice!

Bob
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Mine the Mind - 05/19/19 03:09 PM
Good song. love the organ in the mix

Like the minor key sound, makes me think of Neil Young

except he'd probably drag the tempo down ( I like this tempo)

Kenny
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Mine the Mind - 05/21/19 12:43 PM
Hi Tamgo,

like Torrey and the others wrote: A very good and very interesting basis for a great song. And there's so many good singers around here... I'm really most curious about the result.

Take care,

Stefan
© PG Music Forums