PG Music Home
Recently, I've been posting some things from the past. This is also one of those. A song I co-wrote with David Snyder.

A tribute, on this memorial day weekend, to the ones who didn't make it home, and to those who did come home but lost something "over there", the ones who wake up in the middle of the night soaked in sweat from the nightmares that won't go away or the one who walks down a city street and hears a truck backfire and is instantly back in the middle of a firefight in some distant, god-forsaken land........

Whiskey For Breakfast

All gave some, and some gave all. Semper Fi.

The lyrics:

Whiskey For Breakfast

It’s been the same way in this world since the dawn of time
When the first man said this land here is mine
He picked up a rock and there was blood on his hands
A curse on the ground his brother dying on the sand

They called him Johnny Reb and he wore that name with pride
It was brother against brother some fighting side by side
Antietam down to Vicksburg marching to the devil’s den
After all that time still wondering where the hell he’s been

Whiskey for breakfast they say it’s a sin
But they’ve never seen the places that I’ve been.
I’ve been dreaming about mountains and faces of the dead
I’m drinking whiskey for breakfast, until these nightmares end.

Nightmares that haunt me in the middle of the day
Closing my eyes I can’t chase them away
Some came home and some remain just names on a wall
Walking down a busy street I feel the darkness call

But they’ve never seen the places that I’ve been.
I’ve been dreaming of jungles and faces of the dead

In the devil’s sand box you can’t tell friends from foe
Death is waiting for you, everywhere you go.

But they’ve never seen those places that I’ve been.
I’ve been dreaming of deserts and faces of the dead
Herb & David,

Y'all both did a good job on this one. A solid lyric, good hook/title. Good production and good mix.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Remembering those who didn't make it home. - 05/24/19 11:53 AM
great song guys!

solid mix and production
Posted By: Jim Re: Remembering those who didn't make it home. - 05/24/19 01:17 PM
I seem to recall hearing the one in the past & being impressed by it...
Forgive me if I'm wrong...
Its a great collaboration & I enjoyed it!
This is a wonderful collaboration you guys did. Thanks for sharing.
Nicely done smile A really solid write - musically, and lyrically. A phenomenal story and the guitar work is stunning. It flows beautifully and the vocals are top notch.

Thanks for sharing!
Powerful stuff. It sounds full and clear and is well worth the "hearing" too.
Posted By: rayc Re: Remembering those who didn't make it home. - 05/25/19 07:21 AM
Classic stuff.
the intro is a bit trebly and strident as there's not much bottom end in it which resolves after the band comes in. It might be possible to automate the EQ to allow fullness for that part.
there's also a little vocal sound just before your 1st syllable - could be an intake of breath or similar but, again, might be worth excising.
A time or two the vocal seemed a little too hot but nothing outrageous.
All little things that matter little. Mind you the song is so good it may be worth your while touching it up a little bit. the song is THAT good.
Excellent! Great writing from you two.

Love your vocal on this, and I assume that is you playing that melodic lead guitar part? Very nice indeed.

Very powerful song, enjoyed the listen.
hi Herb&David great production great vocal perfect choice of instruments awesome work thanks eric
Hey Guitarhacker, wowzers! Who doesn't like breakfast? The different elements of the song glue together really well like maple syrup to pancakes. Thanks for sharing!
Hey everyone... thanks for listening....

I'll answer a few specific questions asked...

Jim, Yes, this was posted about 2 years ago.

Ray, you have good ears. There's a lip-smack in there....

Dave, yeah, I'm handling all the guitars on this.

Note: This was submitted to Gary Sinise, the actor, who fronts the Lt Dan Band. They listened to the song and replied back with a nice note that they loved the song but the Lt Dan Band was not a recording artist band. They only played covers and only played concert shows for the troops, and thanked us for thinking of them.
Good song with strong content, liked the guitar work, especially the triplets, and the whole thing, in fact.
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Good song with strong content, liked the guitar work, especially the triplets, and the whole thing, in fact.

Yes, a very good song with strong content. This song hit me hard as I lost my best friend from high school and a number of classmates in Vietnam. I also have a friend whom came back with PTSD.

You both should be not only very proud of this one but should be thanked for making us remember the horrors of war.
Never forget...

Thanks for sharing.

J&B
© PG Music Forums