heading out to face another day
   i seldom know what it's all about
   i'm just prayin'
   we'll figure it out

i don't know what's supposed to follow next
just making it up as i go

The BAND:
RealTracks in song: 1418:Bass, Electric, SouthernRock Ev16 085
RealTracks in song: 836:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm AltCountryRootsy Ev 075 (A:muted)
RealTracks in song: 3186:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm CelticSongwriterQuinn Ev16 080
RealTracks in song: 2444:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Background PopCountryBrent Ev 085
RealDrums [in Song:PopModernGrooveSync16^1-a:Snare on 4, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
Royalty free loops (from Studio One)

harmonies: Janice Merritt

As always... Huge Thanks to J&B!!!

Thanks for listening.
Comments always welcome.
Have at it.

fj

Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Figure It Out - 06/06/19 10:52 AM
Excellent!

Vocal is top notch, great tone and nice phrasing.

Tight harmonies! Janice always sounds so good.

I dig that baritone guitar with the tremolo, great sound and a cool line it is playing, and those drums sound awesome.

Ending was unexpected but cool.

Another nice one, floyd!
Posted By: Biglad Re: Figure It Out - 06/06/19 11:19 AM
another chicken dinner Fj winner winner.great production as always ,sparse but full sound ,how do you do that .love the harmonies and vocal.Drums are top notch.great write thanks.keep em coming.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Figure It Out - 06/06/19 11:20 AM
Strangely, this is the second time that I signed on to find you posted a song only minutes ago. I love that because if it's been up for an hour, I feel like I'm the 100th person to reply. wink

Anyway, this song is perfection. I'm not kidding. I seriously wouldn't even have a suggestion of something different to try.

First when I see FJ and J&B before even hearing the song...I know my chance of liking it are high. Really high. There is a chemistry there, no doubt. From writing, to backing, to mixing, to just everything that makes a song this damn good!

One specific thing I wanted to note, the delivery of the lyric is something I experience very rarely. For me, in the verses, it brought it to somewhere between hearing a conversation or story, to also emphasizing words by holding them out longer to give it more emotional lift. Then the chorus just sang! Wonderfully cohesive contrast! That's brilliance to me. What an absolutely cool effect.

Something I touch on lightly now and then, but here I'm going to go further. Drums. Those are some of the best drums I've heard on here. Not just one element, ALL of them. The processing and production are killer. But, man...I am a sucker for those ghost notes on the snare. It's all locked in with all of the other instruments so well that I would be impressed hearing it and not knowing at all that "drummer" wasn't in the room playing along. AND I would have thought he was doing the song perfect justice. I'm not sure if you took different parts and copy/pasted but the breaks in the chorus were EXACTLY as they should be. I'm seriously impressed by the treatment of the drums!

Love, love, love this song!
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Figure It Out - 06/06/19 11:23 AM
Nicely done! Really catchy, and your vocals are stunning. The harmonies on the chorus knock it out of the park for me. Really good lyrics on it too - it comes across as sincere and heartfelt.

Great work, and thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: rsdean Re: Figure It Out - 06/06/19 11:40 AM
Floyd,

This song is awesome! Love the sentiment in the lyrics and your vocal. A perfect selection of tracks as well for the band.

Great harmony by Janice - it's become such a classic sound within your music.

For my money, "Figure It Out" rises to the top of your already well stocked catalog it's just so good.

Bob
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Figure It Out - 06/06/19 12:02 PM
Sounds like you got this one all figured out. Nice work. Very pro sounding on the mix.
Posted By: Jim Re: Figure It Out - 06/06/19 02:04 PM
Your 1 to 6m chord changes really give your new tune a lot of clout...
IMHO Very catchy... Like a hook...
You have another talented write on this one...
I enjoyed listening to your song & ...
Of course, Janice's lovely harmonies.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Figure It Out - 06/06/19 03:53 PM
Floyd,

Terrific relaxed vocal (matched by the peerless harmonies- mixed just right).
I enjoy the alt country style ,especially that muted rhythm guitar.
Super drum sound... is that where the loops are?
Very solid write, performance & production!

Robert
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Figure It Out - 06/06/19 05:02 PM
WOW!!! Really captures the essence of the human condition in a way that is simple but deep!! I'm reminded of a Todd Rundgren lyric "We're all homeless boys and girls, and we are never heard". That line, like many in this song, strikes at the core of how vulnerable we can feel at times. Love the musical change in the chorus which kind of lightens it a bit....don't know where I'm going, but.....I'm going...carry on. The vocal is rich and warm, and ......PERFECT (aided nicely by our forum queen!!). Great stuff FJ!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: PeterF Re: Figure It Out - 06/06/19 07:03 PM
floyd

Certainly nailed that one! Lovely mix - sounded like you were in the room singing.
Great set of lyrics, wonderful harmony by Janice, some tasty guitar parts, and an excellent vocal.
I'm running out of superlatives.

Peter
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Figure It Out - 06/06/19 08:33 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Excellent!

Vocal is top notch, great tone and nice phrasing.

Tight harmonies! Janice always sounds so good.

I dig that baritone guitar with the tremolo, great sound and a cool line it is playing, and those drums sound awesome.

Ending was unexpected but cool.

Another nice one, floyd!

Dave - as always, thanks for weighing in on my efforts... we are SO fortunate to have the many amazing RealTracks available to us to realize our vision of our music. Those baritone guitars are so versatile and so "supportive"!! (like the cello - they fit almost everything!)

The RealDrum track is a miracle track. So perfect. I've said before... the program is worth the price JUST for the drums... amazing stuff.

Of course, my copy of BIAB comes with a "Janice doing harmonies" RT. You have to pay extra for that (and it is PRICELESS). smile
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Figure It Out - 06/06/19 08:53 PM
The vocals on this are really great!
Posted By: dcuny Re: Figure It Out - 06/07/19 12:48 AM
As already mentioned, there's a very laid back an conversational vibe to this song. Your vocals always sell me on the song - they feel effortless and honest.

I love the baritone guitar.

The arrangement is lean without sounding like anything is missing, and the mix is crystal clear. Nice.

Maybe PGMusic will offer the _JANICE_BGV RealTracks in the 2020 release. wink
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Figure It Out - 06/07/19 01:58 AM
FJ & Janice,
Nice, easy listener! Vocals and production are excellent.
Lyrics reads as a poem. I actually read the lyrics first and then followed with music smile
I liked that:
"I don't know if you love me
so I pretend not to care
in my heart I have to admit
I'd be lost if you weren't here"

Tremolo guitar was cool touch. I liked the ending too.
Janice was nice and loud on this, but personally, I think her vocals are a little dry. Maybe I am hallucinating.. smile

Thank you for sharing,

Misha.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Figure It Out - 06/07/19 07:08 AM
Usually when I listen to/hear a country song (at least one that doesn't on the surface have anything to "say" beyond trucks, bars, and rowdy friends) I can only sense a "message" about relationships and all that goes with that. Nothing wrong with any of that. But that's as far as the song will carry me (right or wrong).

What you've done here, though, while it retains meaning to a relationship and is couched in those familiar relationship "tropes", opens up to a universe of implied and applied meaning. Part of the time I joined the song as a father. Part of the time as a citizen. Part of the time as a man who has faith, even if he lacks religion. And the rest of the time in the cracks and overlap between those things.

I can't know for sure if that was your intention in the writing, but I can testify that this has been the result. Moved me. Thanks.
Posted By: rayc Re: Figure It Out - 06/07/19 07:18 AM
As close to perfection as a country rock'n'ballad can get.
I do have ONE complaint though...
you wrote
"Been thinkin'..."
and I desperately wanted to hear that just before the 1st verse.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Figure It Out - 06/07/19 04:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Biglad
another chicken dinner Fj winner winner.great production as always ,sparse but full sound ,how do you do that .love the harmonies and vocal.Drums are top notch.great write thanks.keep em coming.

Thanks, John. Good to have you drop by... (make mine KFC!!! Original recipe)
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Figure It Out - 06/07/19 06:59 PM
Hey there Floyd, I admired the overall vibe on this. The arrangement is wonderful to the ears and the vibe is very appealing. Fantastic work on the vocals. Well done!
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Figure It Out - 06/08/19 12:57 AM
Love the baritone guitar, not just the sound but how you used it. And, of course, you always sound like radio gold.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Figure It Out - 06/08/19 11:03 AM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Strangely, this is the second time that I signed on to find you posted a song only minutes ago. I love that because if it's been up for an hour, I feel like I'm the 100th person to reply. wink

Anyway, this song is perfection. I'm not kidding. I seriously wouldn't even have a suggestion of something different to try.

"perfection"? well what can I say to THAT? smile

Quote:

First when I see FJ and J&B before even hearing the song...I know my chance of liking it are high. Really high. There is a chemistry there, no doubt. From writing, to backing, to mixing, to just everything that makes a song this damn good!

It is always a treat to have Janice sing with me...

Quote:

One specific thing I wanted to note, the delivery of the lyric is something I experience very rarely. For me, in the verses, it brought it to somewhere between hearing a conversation or story, to also emphasizing words by holding them out longer to give it more emotional lift. Then the chorus just sang! Wonderfully cohesive contrast! That's brilliance to me. What an absolutely cool effect.

As both a "singer" and a "songwriter", I take that as a real compliment...

Quote:

Something I touch on lightly now and then, but here I'm going to go further. Drums. Those are some of the best drums I've heard on here. Not just one element, ALL of them. The processing and production are killer. But, man...I am a sucker for those ghost notes on the snare. It's all locked in with all of the other instruments so well that I would be impressed hearing it and not knowing at all that "drummer" wasn't in the room playing along. AND I would have thought he was doing the song perfect justice. I'm not sure if you took different parts and copy/pasted but the breaks in the chorus were EXACTLY as they should be. I'm seriously impressed by the treatment of the drums!

The drumtrack is pretty much as it is played out of BIAB. A Shannon Forrest track which simply "DOES ALL THE RIGHT THINGS"...right outta the box. No cut and paste involved. I drop the Studio One "S1 Drumgroup" preset on it - like I always do - an EQ and a MultiBand Compressor that accentuates the kick and snare slightly...
To have a guy who drums be that impressed with the drum track is a treat. The credit goes to Band-In-A-Box (and Shannon Forrest, of course).

Quote:

Love, love, love this song!

Music to my ears!!
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Figure It Out - 06/08/19 11:21 AM
Hi Floyd, this is a nice piece of work!
Strong voice(s) and very nice deep beats.
Enjoyed it,
Hans
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Figure It Out - 06/08/19 06:19 PM
just about perfect!

love the chord progressions

the wonderful laid back mix

all vocals are present, mixed well, and pleasing(how bout that description)

I love this write!

Kenny
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Figure It Out - 06/08/19 07:06 PM
Dave, Biglad & HTL,

Thanks for mentioning my small part in this wonderful production!

Janice
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Figure It Out - 06/09/19 11:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nicely done! Really catchy, and your vocals are stunning. The harmonies on the chorus knock it out of the park for me. Really good lyrics on it too - it comes across as sincere and heartfelt.

Great work, and thanks for sharing smile

Deryk - thanks for that very fine review!!

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

This song is awesome! Love the sentiment in the lyrics and your vocal. A perfect selection of tracks as well for the band.

Great harmony by Janice - it's become such a classic sound within your music.

For my money, "Figure It Out" rises to the top of your already well stocked catalog it's just so good.

Bob

Thanks, Bob...can't ask for nicer comments than that!...
Posted By: Scott C Re: Figure It Out - 06/09/19 10:04 PM
Just love this song style. Very warm and comfortable. A super vocal and lyric. Janice's harmony was excellent as well. Just loved that guitar. Very cool song
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Figure It Out - 06/10/19 01:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Sounds like you got this one all figured out. Nice work. Very pro sounding on the mix.

Thanks, Herb...

Originally Posted By: Jim
Your 1 to 6m chord changes really give your new tune a lot of clout...
IMHO Very catchy... Like a hook...
You have another talented write on this one...
I enjoyed listening to your song & ...
Of course, Janice's lovely harmonies.

Thanks, Jim...
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Figure It Out - 06/10/19 01:49 PM
Another hit. Your vocals sound particularly good on this one. Honest, pure sound. What I like to hear in good vocals.

Like the tremolo guitar. And Janice is always a treat.

Glad I heard this one!

Steve
Posted By: jannesan Re: Figure It Out - 06/10/19 02:40 PM
Bit mysterious song, have to figure it out smile Very tight mix, especially drums sound great. Great vocals, including harmonies. I'm listening on headphones, there's a low thump at 0:48, everytime I heard it I had to check is somebody coming in smile

Janne
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Figure It Out - 06/11/19 11:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,

Terrific relaxed vocal (matched by the peerless harmonies- mixed just right).
I enjoy the alt country style ,especially that muted rhythm guitar.
Super drum sound... is that where the loops are?
Very solid write, performance & production!

Robert

Thanks, Robert. It is always wonderful to have Janice singing with me.
The drums are RealDrums. The loops I used were guitar loops - kind of a high "bell-sounding" thing to give some atmosphere....

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
WOW!!! Really captures the essence of the human condition in a way that is simple but deep!! I'm reminded of a Todd Rundgren lyric "We're all homeless boys and girls, and we are never heard". That line, like many in this song, strikes at the core of how vulnerable we can feel at times. Love the musical change in the chorus which kind of lightens it a bit....don't know where I'm going, but.....I'm going...carry on. The vocal is rich and warm, and ......PERFECT (aided nicely by our forum queen!!). Great stuff FJ!!! Take care. Greg

Greg - thanks for the thoughtful review. I wore out a couple of the early TR records...And a Runt record or 2...
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Figure It Out - 06/11/19 06:47 PM
Deryk, Bob, Jim & Robert

Thank y'all for including mention the harmony in your nice reviews of floyd's great song. It was my pleasure!

Janice
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Figure It Out - 06/12/19 11:46 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

Certainly nailed that one! Lovely mix - sounded like you were in the room singing.
Great set of lyrics, wonderful harmony by Janice, some tasty guitar parts, and an excellent vocal.
I'm running out of superlatives.

Peter

Thanks, Peter... "in the room singing" - boy, I wish I could capture that all the time!!

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
The vocals on this are really great!

Thanks, Ember...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Figure It Out - 06/13/19 03:40 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
As already mentioned, there's a very laid back an conversational vibe to this song. Your vocals always sell me on the song - they feel effortless and honest.

I love the baritone guitar.

The arrangement is lean without sounding like anything is missing, and the mix is crystal clear. Nice.

Maybe PGMusic will offer the _JANICE_BGV RealTracks in the 2020 release. wink

Thanks for the nice review, David. I'm really trying to keep Janice so busy she has no time for anything else... smile

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
FJ & Janice,
Nice, easy listener! Vocals and production are excellent.
Lyrics reads as a poem. I actually read the lyrics first and then followed with music smile
I liked that:
"I don't know if you love me
so I pretend not to care
in my heart I have to admit
I'd be lost if you weren't here"

Tremolo guitar was cool touch. I liked the ending too.
Janice was nice and loud on this, but personally, I think her vocals are a little dry. Maybe I am hallucinating.. smile

Thank you for sharing,

Misha.

Thanks, Misha. I can understand someone wanting more reverb on the harmony, but in this case, I wanted Janice to sound like she was "right there beside me" (not back a step).
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Figure It Out - 06/14/19 10:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Usually when I listen to/hear a country song (at least one that doesn't on the surface have anything to "say" beyond trucks, bars, and rowdy friends) I can only sense a "message" about relationships and all that goes with that. Nothing wrong with any of that. But that's as far as the song will carry me (right or wrong).

What you've done here, though, while it retains meaning to a relationship and is couched in those familiar relationship "tropes", opens up to a universe of implied and applied meaning. Part of the time I joined the song as a father. Part of the time as a citizen. Part of the time as a man who has faith, even if he lacks religion. And the rest of the time in the cracks and overlap between those things.

I can't know for sure if that was your intention in the writing, but I can testify that this has been the result. Moved me. Thanks.

Wow, Tangmo... I could not ask for a better "review" than that!! Thanks so much for putting YOUR thoughts into words here. Heartwarming for me...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Figure It Out - 06/14/19 02:33 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
As close to perfection as a country rock'n'ballad can get.
I do have ONE complaint though...
you wrote
"Been thinkin'..."
and I desperately wanted to hear that just before the 1st verse.

Thanks, ray... nice of you to say.... (when the tour happens, I'll introduce the song that way... smile )
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: Figure It Out - 06/15/19 01:56 AM
Floyd, how can you sound so laid back and not fall over? I just can't Figure It Out!
This is very nice. All the moving parts work together as one.
Love the baritone/tremolo guitar.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Figure It Out - 06/15/19 11:05 AM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hey there Floyd, I admired the overall vibe on this. The arrangement is wonderful to the ears and the vibe is very appealing. Fantastic work on the vocals. Well done!

Thanks, Joe...

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Love the baritone guitar, not just the sound but how you used it. And, of course, you always sound like radio gold.

Appreciate it, TM...
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Figure It Out - 06/15/19 07:06 PM
Floyd again you have delivered a great song, the space you leave in your mixes are what give the pro sound you achieve each and every time.

The lyrics are well worked on and not churned out, the vocals are laid back and relaxed just the way they should be for this style.

You keep the bar high for us all, and that's a good thing.

Thanks
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Figure It Out - 06/16/19 11:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Floyd, this is a nice piece of work!
Strong voice(s) and very nice deep beats.
Enjoyed it,
Hans

Thanks, Hans...

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
just about perfect!

love the chord progressions

the wonderful laid back mix

all vocals are present, mixed well, and pleasing(how bout that description)

I love this write!

Kenny

Kenny - that is so nice to hear...thank you...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Figure It Out - 06/17/19 03:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Just love this song style. Very warm and comfortable. A super vocal and lyric. Janice's harmony was excellent as well. Just loved that guitar. Very cool song

Thanks, Scott. It is always nice having Janice back me up on theses things....

Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Another hit. Your vocals sound particularly good on this one. Honest, pure sound. What I like to hear in good vocals.

Like the tremolo guitar. And Janice is always a treat.

Glad I heard this one!

Steve

I appreciate that, Steve...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Figure It Out - 06/18/19 08:15 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Bit mysterious song, have to figure it out smile Very tight mix, especially drums sound great. Great vocals, including harmonies. I'm listening on headphones, there's a low thump at 0:48, everytime I heard it I had to check is somebody coming in smile

Janne

Thanks for stopping in, Janne....
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Figure It Out - 06/18/19 05:17 PM
Greg, Peter, Ember, David C, Misha, Joe and Hans,

I do appreciate y'all mentioning the harmony! It was a small but FUN part.

Janice
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Figure It Out - 06/18/19 08:59 PM
Very creative intro Floyd! Your vocal sounds like you took a little different approach on this, maybe its all in the attitude for the tune! A little more subdued than your usual sound, but it really is appropriate and works well for the song! We in the forum probably take the high quality of your work for granted at times because you always bring it on every tune, but there is simply not one thing out of place in this one and I really appreciate your skills! Janice compliments your lead vocal so well also! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Figure It Out - 06/19/19 02:01 AM
Floyd,

Another sweet tune—really nice write. I like your vocal on this particularly—very focused, very rich. Nicely done, and kudos to Janice on the stellar harmony. Well, well done! Good luck with it.

All the best,

Deej
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Figure It Out - 06/19/19 04:45 PM
Originally Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G)
Floyd, how can you sound so laid back and not fall over? I just can't Figure It Out!
This is very nice. All the moving parts work together as one.
Love the baritone/tremolo guitar.
Cheers,
Mike

Mike - thanks for having a listen and for the nice comments...

Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Floyd again you have delivered a great song, the space you leave in your mixes are what give the pro sound you achieve each and every time.

The lyrics are well worked on and not churned out, the vocals are laid back and relaxed just the way they should be for this style.

You keep the bar high for us all, and that's a good thing.

Thanks

beatmaster - thanks for the fine review... good to see you back around...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Figure It Out - 06/20/19 03:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Very creative intro Floyd! Your vocal sounds like you took a little different approach on this, maybe its all in the attitude for the tune! A little more subdued than your usual sound, but it really is appropriate and works well for the song! We in the forum probably take the high quality of your work for granted at times because you always bring it on every tune, but there is simply not one thing out of place in this one and I really appreciate your skills! Janice compliments your lead vocal so well also! Thanks, Torrey

Torrey - that is very nice of you to say... Thanks...
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Figure It Out - 06/21/19 01:04 PM

Great work, Floyd!

Really outstanding work on the mix on this one. The drum sound is killer.

Totally infectious song. The ending is cool man.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Figure It Out - 06/21/19 04:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Floyd,

Another sweet tune—really nice write. I like your vocal on this particularly—very focused, very rich. Nicely done, and kudos to Janice on the stellar harmony. Well, well done! Good luck with it.

All the best,

Deej

Thanks, Deej. We both appreciate that...

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Great work, Floyd!

Really outstanding work on the mix on this one. The drum sound is killer.

Totally infectious song. The ending is cool man.

Thanks so much, Mr Snyder. Good to see you around....
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Figure It Out - 07/08/19 05:40 AM
Hi floyd,

Once again you and Janice strike gold! How do the two of you manage it so comfortably and so often? I wish I knew smile

This is a wonderful listen in every possible way -- writing, arranging, performing, producing and presenting; and the band was seriously well chosen. First class EVERYTHING from start to end!

Right now I'm sitting here doing some heavy duty thinking about a couple of the strategies that you've used that really made me sit up and pay attention.

Firstly, it was lyric-writing magic how you used point-of-view to develop these lyrics. I've never written a set of lyrics where perspective seems to change as the song progresses. As I see it, that’s pretty advanced stuff and to get it to work requires a bit of skill. I’ve always subscribed to the theory that the perspective stays consistent from beginning to end. While I suspect that you might have done this in the past, and I’m going to have to go and revisit your songs to find out, it’s just today that my brain fully appreciated what you have done.

These lyrics started out using the perspective of a first person narrator; that is, “this is my story and how it happened to me”.

Quote:
i don't know what's supposed to follow next
just making it up as i go
some things work some things don't
there's a whole bunch i still don't know

none of that stops me from moving on
though sometimes i get stuck in the past
i do my best to deal with the demons
hoping the scars don't last

Then, at the end of the chorus you introduce first person plural with “we”. Now, all of a sudden, the lyrics become inclusive of someone else. This change in perspective landscape worked for me.

Moving on to verse 2, you introduce us to the character ‘you’. Now, all of a sudden with this new addition, I formed the impression that the ‘I’ character was working his way through a relationship bump by kind of talking to himself while addressing the woman called ‘you’ who is not actually present. In this regard, you’ve used the poetic literary device called Apostrophe.

I know I’ve mentioned your use of apostrophe in a couple of other posts. This particular use, though, really stood out to me because I thoroughly liked the delay in understanding how you’d devised these lyrics. The effect of using perspective that seems to move, but in reality does not, was very, very clever. I hope I don’t sound too envious but I’d love to have the kind of brain that could be inventive like that!

Secondly, the other thing that caused me to think, “floyd that was magnificent – a spark of genius”, was the ending. It is incredibly effective that you throw harmonic and melodic resolution out the window and leave the song hanging in mid-air. It suits the 'I'm working my way through a problem' nature of these lyrics. As the lyrics say, "I'm just praying we'll figure it out"... and the lack of musical resolution is a hand-in-glove match the lack of resolution of that lyric phrase.... wonderful writing and arranging!

You've given me a couple of really great ideas to reflect on and to play around with. Thank you!

Just today I learnt to say a bit of Korean that resonated with all that I thought about this composition and your and Janice’s performances...

우수한 솜씨

(I'm presently trying to teach myself a bit of Korean using Youtube just to see if I can.)

May good things come your way,
Noel
© PG Music Forums