PG Music Home
Hello Band-in-a-Box lovers.

I have to say I LOVE this product (and this forum). Noel did a post on the songwriting thread on a public domain poem by Mary Elizabeth Frye (1905-2004) and a Korean song that is based on this poem. Here is the link to that thread.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=539023#Post539023

That was what I needed to inspired me to also write a song. I purposely didn't listen to the Korean song and I wrote a melody, using my guitar. I then recorded a guitar and violin based version. Then I listened to the Korean song and I loved the simple piano accompaniment that the Korean songwriter came up with. I immediately changed the BIAB backing of my song from guitar to piano...In about 3 minutes flat...just by generating a single new piano track and muting the guitars and violin.

This is the result.

The very simple band is:
Bass 701
Shaker even8ths
Piano 2045
Hi Joanne,

This sounds wonderful! You've done a really great job. I love the backing it's very, very soothing to listen to. I find these words of Frye's very touching and you've done them justice.

I'm just about to head to work and hearing you singing this has begun the day in the best possible way for me.

All the best,
Noel
Joanne,
A beautiful interpretation of the poem.
Simple tasteful backing behind your unmistakeable vocal (and lovely harmonies).

Robert
Wow - just, wow. This is beautiful Joanne! You did some serious merit to that poem. Your vocals are absolutely flawless, and I love the modernity in the backing tracks. You took it and totally made it your own.

I wouldn't change a single thing. Thanks so much for sharing smile
Very nice, Joanne. Beautifully written with the poem. As usual, your vocals are very strong on this one.

So glad I got to hear it!

Steve
Interpreting poetry with music can be fraught but you did a lovely job. The harmony vocals are stellar.
That was done well. It's not often that one can take a poem and convert it directly to a song lyric as written.

Nice work.

On the band.... sometimes, less is more and that is the case here. I would have played a short and simple acoustic guitar solo in the short musical break. Nothing fancy... however, it's well done and stands on it's own as it is.
Hey there Joanne, this was wonderful! The different elements really glue well together and very soothing to hear. Very inspiring piece of music. Well done!
Well done...
I enjoyed your video & interpretation of the poem...
Thanks for sharing your creativity with me.
Joanne,
Super tune! I would put it among 3 top songs I have heard of yours.
Vocals and the way you mixed them is outstanding!

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
First time hearing you, what a terrific voice and the whole thing fit together great. Looking forward to hearing more of yours.
Great vocals with a stellar spare piano and bass backing. Lovely harmonies. A very nice sentiment in the poem interpreted well. Very much enjoyed the listen.
Wonderful, Joanne. Has a timeless sense, which fits the theme.
Outstanding production as always Joanne. I've been hooked on your voice for ages now, and this is a real beauty
Joanne

Lovely interpretation of the poem, and an excellent vocal performance.
Very nicely done.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Joanne,
A beautiful interpretation of the poem.
Simple tasteful backing behind your unmistakeable vocal (and lovely harmonies).

Robert

Robert has said everything that I hear and feel about this

except Wow!!!
Noel - thank you for listening and for posting about this poem int he first place. It certainly gave me some inspiration.

Robert - thanks. Nice to hear you always appreciate the harmonies..

Deryk - I am glad you enjoyed it.

Steve - thank you. I appreciate the listen

Ray - I never thought about that...I have sent quite a few public domain poems to music before but have generally change the lyric quite a bit. I didn't change a thing on this one. I think it was written with a song in mind smile

Herb - thanks. I did actually record myself playing guitar and did a sort of "solo" but as you know I am not the greatest guitarist in the world and decided afterwards that the song sounded better without it smile

Joe - Thanks. The "Glue" is, as always, BIAB

Jim - Thank you. Glad you enjoyed the video. It was made with a product called "Youtube Movie Maker". It is very quick and easy to make these types of video. The footage is from pixabay.

Rusty - Thank you. Funnily enough I wasn't all that happy with the vocal performance and recording. For the first time I could actually HEAR the room in the recording, especially before the hamronies come in. It was my own fault. I was too lazy to rig up my vocal shield before recording and then too lazy to go back a re-record afterwards.

TuneMonger - Thanks so much. I hope to do a few more during the 50 9 songwriting challenge.

Tangmo - I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you

Ed - Thank you. I enjoyed the "timeless" comment.

Graham - I do hope you are feeling better and glad to see you still active on the forum. Thanks for listening

PeterF - Thank you for listening and taking the time to comment so nicely.

Kenny - I appreciate the listen. Thank you!
Beautifully done Joanne!! Really pretty song and stunningly good vocals! Enjoyed a lot!! Take care. Greg
I agree with everything that has been said thus far so all I can add is this is fantastic!
© PG Music Forums