Angela ooh la la
Ooh la la my angel Angela

Bass 1162
Fiddle 3158
Drums Bodran Celtic Reel
Guitar 3226 12 String
Loop Dubstep - yasso

Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/13/19 10:54 AM
Wow Kenny! This definitely had a good energy on this one. Really dig the Bodran too. Excellent harmonies on the vocals too. Well done!
Posted By: rsdean Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/13/19 11:07 AM
Kenny,

Yikes! This is tremendous!

It sounds like a lost track from The Band... You are a masterclass in songwriting and performance.

I love it!

Bob
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/13/19 12:28 PM
I got one too. A very fun listen. That rhythm is infectious and you laid in there with it wonderfully.
Posted By: Chris37 Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/13/19 12:53 PM
Hi Kenny,
There are few instruments but all sounds so wonderfully !
Your voice is a very nice instrument too.
I really appreciate this kind of folk music.
This is a great song.
Congratulations. Christian
Posted By: Skyline Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/13/19 01:29 PM
A superb track Kenny. Bob Dean said, this is Band-like and sounds just as good as their tracks, a very professional sound going on there. Great choice of instrumentation and the vocal delivery is just right.

Cheers
John
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/13/19 03:35 PM
Kenny,

Still ON FIRE. Each new track seems better than the last (and "the last" was killer).

Everything about this is top shelf.

Amazing write. Sounds like a instant classic.

Awesome BAND. Love the percussion. Excellent mix.

One of your all time best vocals. In-the-pocket energy (without the "too hot" thing ever). Whatever you are doing....keep it up!!!

Incredible stuff.

fj
Posted By: Scott C Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/13/19 04:44 PM
Another change up. Live it. I got a band vibe in this too. Maybe a bit of Cajun. Very cool song and awesome vocal
Posted By: Jim Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/13/19 05:22 PM
This one has the sounds of a loud band performance...
Nice job...
As always...
I really enjoyed the listen!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/14/19 12:10 PM
Yeah, I dig it. Had a listen yesterday but didn't have time to comment. Good reason to give it another spin smile

Always enjoy your lyrics, so well written! And that signature vocal too. I see a couple people mentioned a lost track from the band, I didn't notice that yesterday, but it does have that sort of vibe about it.

Very good, Kenny, as your songs always are!
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/14/19 12:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Wow Kenny! This definitely had a good energy on this one. Really dig the Bodran too. Excellent harmonies on the vocals too. Well done!

Thanks for the listen and kind words.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/14/19 12:37 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Kenny,

Yikes! This is tremendous!

It sounds like a lost track from The Band... You are a masterclass in songwriting and performance.

I love it!

Bob

Thanks Bob, I thought about Levon and the Band while putting this together.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/14/19 12:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
I got one too. A very fun listen. That rhythm is infectious and you laid in there with it wonderfully.

Hey Tangmo, you got one too? (an Angela? a morning singer that won't let you sleep?)

or a "The Band" feel

whatever it is I appreciate your listen and kind words
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/14/19 12:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Chris37
Hi Kenny,
There are few instruments but all sounds so wonderfully !
Your voice is a very nice instrument too.
I really appreciate this kind of folk music.
This is a great song.
Congratulations. Christian

Hey Chris,

Thank you for your listen and kind words.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/14/19 01:07 PM
Got me from the very beginning - great groove, excellent opening line. Hilariously subtle as a brick - great write. laugh

Love it.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/14/19 01:29 PM
Kenny,

Crackles with foot stomping energy! That`s a terrific use of the chopping fiddle style
and bodhran... but its your vocal that`s the highlight for me. I think you`ve found the way to record/mix your voice with nothing lost now.
Can`t think of anything that could be better on this fun song... except maybe to dance to it!

Robert
Posted By: cliftond Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/14/19 02:05 PM
Another great song Kenny, you have the touch here, has a good kick and good vibe.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/14/19 05:21 PM
Kenny,
First of all, cool tune! Sincerely enjoyed it!
Probably what's really important in my dilettante view is that you are trying different things musically. Meaning, you are not shy of experimenting with lyrics, styles and uncommon choices of instruments for the genres. That is what makes stuff interesting! "Angela" sounds great in all respects. I would not change a thing.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/15/19 01:22 AM
Great work Kenny. The use of the fiddle and bodran is inspired.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/15/19 02:41 AM
How do you turn out such quality so fast? Ooh la la and your raspy voice brought the Faces to mind, but it was nothing like that, it was its own good thing. Keep em coming.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/15/19 07:00 PM
Not getting that Band vibe here...maybe a little Mellencamp but mostly a LOT of Kenny!

We streamed it several times on a day trip today and it had Janice singing harmony immediately and talking about how "danceable" it sounded.

One word really comes to mind: Memorable. It just invites more plays. Listening now on the monitors and it sounds great as it did on the Subaru system (a good one).

This is one of those standout nothing left to add nothing left to take away mixes.

Fiddle is amazing...don't have that in the 2018 Mac...hopefully will when 2019 is released.

Percussion is perfect for the stripped down lyric and groove. And the lyric showcases your ability to say things in cool and unique ways.

Great!!!

J&B

Posted By: beatmaster Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/15/19 07:12 PM
I got a kinks vibe from this, and I loved the vocals and the band sound.

Enjoyed this well done .

Thanks
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/15/19 07:35 PM
Wow, Kenny! This is superb! I did pick up a little Band vibe in it. I've always been a fan of The Band, especially after The Last Waltz.

But Like Bud and Janice said, this is definitely YOU. Your craft is coming through loud and clear on it, and I really like it. The energy in this song is just right for the lyrics, and the choice of instruments and style is perfect. I wouldn't change a thing!

Steve
Posted By: PeterF Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/16/19 04:43 AM
Kenny

Superb! We are a lucky lot here to hear songs of this calibre.

Peter
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/17/19 04:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Skyline
A superb track Kenny. Bob Dean said, this is Band-like and sounds just as good as their tracks, a very professional sound going on there. Great choice of instrumentation and the vocal delivery is just right.

Cheers
John

Thank you John
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/17/19 04:45 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Kenny,

Still ON FIRE. Each new track seems better than the last (and "the last" was killer).

Everything about this is top shelf.

Amazing write. Sounds like a instant classic.

Awesome BAND. Love the percussion. Excellent mix.

One of your all time best vocals. In-the-pocket energy (without the "too hot" thing ever). Whatever you are doing....keep it up!!!

Incredible stuff.

fj

thanks Floyd,

my hearing is making a comeback, makes it easier to mix

I think it pales in comparison to your productions.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/17/19 04:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Another change up. Live it. I got a band vibe in this too. Maybe a bit of Cajun. Very cool song and awesome vocal

Thanks Scott,

I always appreciate your support, listens, and comments

great guitar on your new one with Robert
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/17/19 04:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim
This one has the sounds of a loud band performance...
Nice job...
As always...
I really enjoyed the listen!

loud? live?

it doesn't really matter

I appreciate your listen and comments Jim.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/17/19 04:48 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Yeah, I dig it. Had a listen yesterday but didn't have time to comment. Good reason to give it another spin smile

Always enjoy your lyrics, so well written! And that signature vocal too. I see a couple people mentioned a lost track from the band, I didn't notice that yesterday, but it does have that sort of vibe about it.

Very good, Kenny, as your songs always are!

Thank you Dave
Posted By: MarioD Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/17/19 08:33 PM
Kenny this is your best to date IMHO. Super groove and backing tracks and an outstanding vocal. Well done!

This sounds like a blend of Smookie and New Riders of the Purple Sage to me. But it really is Kenny at his best.

Super song!
Posted By: rayc Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/18/19 05:50 AM
Your vocal style is really perfect in this song.
Great arrangement and performance.
I have to admit to being disappointed by the lyrics of the chorus but that's probably because I'm verbose, at best, and way too wordy. If it were mine I'd see it as a missed opportunity to try to be a clever dick but to everyone else it's a humdinger.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/18/19 01:17 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Got me from the very beginning - great groove, excellent opening line. Hilariously subtle as a brick - great write. laugh

Love it.

Ha!

great comment (subtle as a brick) of course you're absolutely right

why not write a song as a 20/21 year old with a one track mind

thank you for your listen and kind words
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/18/19 01:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Kenny,

Crackles with foot stomping energy! That`s a terrific use of the chopping fiddle style
and bodhran... but its your vocal that`s the highlight for me. I think you`ve found the way to record/mix your voice with nothing lost now.
Can`t think of anything that could be better on this fun song... except maybe to dance to it!

Robert

Thanks Robert,

love your comments and appreciate them
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/18/19 01:20 PM
Originally Posted By: cliftond
Another great song Kenny, you have the touch here, has a good kick and good vibe.

Hey,

thanks!

love that jerry lee rocker you posted
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/19/19 01:58 AM
Kenny,

This has such a nice feel to it . . . don’t know why it reminds me of the Counting Crows--could see Duritz doing this . . . just has that vibe to me. Well put together production wise. . . and a nice hook and vocal keep my ears engaged. Nice work, good luck with it.

My best to you,

Deej
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/19/19 09:18 PM
Kenny, that rhythm section you put together for this is awesome! It really drives this great tune! Love the 70ish retro vibe in this! Loved the vocal! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/20/19 12:39 PM
What a tune! The first thing that caught my ear was the somewhat unusual percussion on it. The groove is absolutely infectious, and all the while unique. And of course, your vocals soar here - the harmonies on that chorus are fantastic.

Wouldn't change a thing - thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/20/19 03:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Kenny,
First of all, cool tune! Sincerely enjoyed it!
Probably what's really important in my dilettante view is that you are trying different things musically. Meaning, you are not shy of experimenting with lyrics, styles and uncommon choices of instruments for the genres. That is what makes stuff interesting! "Angela" sounds great in all respects. I would not change a thing.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Misha,

thank you so much for those kind words
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/20/19 03:03 PM
Originally Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G)
Great work Kenny. The use of the fiddle and bodran is inspired.
Cheers,
Mike

Thanks Mike
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/20/19 03:04 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
How do you turn out such quality so fast? Ooh la la and your raspy voice brought the Faces to mind, but it was nothing like that, it was its own good thing. Keep em coming.

TuneMonger,

thanks for your listen and kind words
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/20/19 03:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Not getting that Band vibe here...maybe a little Mellencamp but mostly a LOT of Kenny!

We streamed it several times on a day trip today and it had Janice singing harmony immediately and talking about how "danceable" it sounded.

One word really comes to mind: Memorable. It just invites more plays. Listening now on the monitors and it sounds great as it did on the Subaru system (a good one).

This is one of those standout nothing left to add nothing left to take away mixes.

Fiddle is amazing...don't have that in the 2018 Mac...hopefully will when 2019 is released.

Percussion is perfect for the stripped down lyric and groove. And the lyric showcases your ability to say things in cool and unique ways.

Great!!!

J&B

Thanks guys!

danceable is something I listen for and strive for

I want something that makes you wanna move
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/21/19 01:17 PM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
I got a kinks vibe from this, and I loved the vocals and the band sound.

Enjoyed this well done .

Thanks

The Kinks!!!

I get that, cool

Thanks for your listen and kind words
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/21/19 01:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Wow, Kenny! This is superb! I did pick up a little Band vibe in it. I've always been a fan of The Band, especially after The Last Waltz.

But Like Bud and Janice said, this is definitely YOU. Your craft is coming through loud and clear on it, and I really like it. The energy in this song is just right for the lyrics, and the choice of instruments and style is perfect. I wouldn't change a thing!

Steve

Steve,

Thanks so much, same for me , after seeing The Last Waltz I really got into discovering The Band.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/21/19 06:51 PM
Ooh La La indeed!!! This just feels real....has an excitement and spirit that just grabs ya! So much life, so much heart! The band is perfect....feels like a bunch of musicians in a room, feeling the vibe. Vocal is just right! Wonderful job Kenny!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/22/19 05:19 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Kenny

Superb! We are a lucky lot here to hear songs of this calibre.

Peter

Thanks Peter
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/22/19 05:20 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Kenny this is your best to date IMHO. Super groove and backing tracks and an outstanding vocal. Well done!

This sounds like a blend of Smookie and New Riders of the Purple Sage to me. But it really is Kenny at his best.

Super song!

Thanks Mario,

I haven't heard those references in a while,

appreciate your listen and kind words
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/22/19 05:22 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Your vocal style is really perfect in this song.
Great arrangement and performance.
I have to admit to being disappointed by the lyrics of the chorus but that's probably because I'm verbose, at best, and way too wordy. If it were mine I'd see it as a missed opportunity to try to be a clever dick but to everyone else it's a humdinger.

Hey Ray,

when asked what the perfect solo would be, Clapton replied "one note"

I really value your listens and opinions

and appreciate the kind words
Posted By: jannesan Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/23/19 02:54 PM
Great groove, fiddle, bodran and the loop work well together. Sounds like the first hit single, with modern commercial sound, from a follow-up album to the previous classic one smile Your voice just gets better every hit you make.

Janne
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/26/19 12:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Kenny,

This has such a nice feel to it . . . don’t know why it reminds me of the Counting Crows--could see Duritz doing this . . . just has that vibe to me. Well put together production wise. . . and a nice hook and vocal keep my ears engaged. Nice work, good luck with it.

My best to you,

Deej

Thanks Deej

love me some Counting Crows
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/26/19 12:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Kenny, that rhythm section you put together for this is awesome! It really drives this great tune! Love the 70ish retro vibe in this! Loved the vocal! Thanks, Torrey

Torrey,

thanks for the listen and kind words
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/26/19 12:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
What a tune! The first thing that caught my ear was the somewhat unusual percussion on it. The groove is absolutely infectious, and all the while unique. And of course, your vocals soar here - the harmonies on that chorus are fantastic.

Wouldn't change a thing - thanks for sharing smile

Hey Deryk,

appreciate your listen and kind words
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/26/19 12:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Ooh La La indeed!!! This just feels real....has an excitement and spirit that just grabs ya! So much life, so much heart! The band is perfect....feels like a bunch of musicians in a room, feeling the vibe. Vocal is just right! Wonderful job Kenny!!! Take care. Greg

Greg,

Thanks so much, I appreciate your enthusiasm

your kind words always mean a lot to me
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/26/19 02:15 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Great groove, fiddle, bodran and the loop work well together. Sounds like the first hit single, with modern commercial sound, from a follow-up album to the previous classic one smile Your voice just gets better every hit you make.

Janne

Thank you so much for taking time to listen and comment.

I always appreciate your kind words.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/26/19 02:17 PM
Cool... this has a folk groove to it. I like it.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 06/27/19 03:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Cool... this has a folk groove to it. I like it.

thanks Herb
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 07/11/19 12:00 AM
Hi Kenny,

I just went to have a listen to this but the link is not working.

I mention just on the off-chance that that's correct. (It occurred to me that maybe something might happened with Soundcloud that you did not know about.)

Sorry I missed my opportunity!
Noel
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 07/12/19 12:43 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
thanks for the listens and comments

https://soundcloud.com/kfl44/angela-ooh-la-la-2

Angela (Ooh La La)
© 2019 Kenny Leverett

Angela sings in the morning
Sometimes it’s the first sound I hear
Maybe she’s puttin’ on a fresh pot of coffee
Come back to bed now Angela dear

Angela ooh la la
Ooh la la my Angela

It’s Saturday and there’s no need to hurry
No reason to rush around at all
Bills are paid and there’s money for dancin’
Maybe make that trip to Montreal

Angela ooh la la
Ooh la la my Angela

If I was a poor man with nothing
Nothing in this world would I fear
With the sweet love you have just to warm me
Come back to bed now Angela dear

Angela ooh la la
Ooh la la my Angela
Angela ooh la la
Ooh la la my angel Angela

Bass 1162
Fiddle 3158
Drums Bodran Celtic Reel
Guitar 3226 12 String
Loop Dubstep - yasso

new link

http://kennyleverett.bandcamp.com/track/angela-oh-la-la
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 07/12/19 12:48 PM
Sounds great Kenny!

Awesome mix.

You are a really great lyricist man.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 07/13/19 09:04 PM
Hi Kenny,

Thanks for posting a new link.

Gosh this is very, very good!

I love that groove and your instrument choice is perfect! What's more is that everything about this sounds like a group playing on the radio. It's so easy to picture you, lead singer, and all the other band members on stage having fun... very enjoyable music.

As you have probably already realised, I often focus more on lyrics these days than music. That's probably because I'm pretty new to writing lyrics and I'm always on the look out for tricks and strategies to add to my toolbox.

You've done a couple of things with the words that seriously impressed me.

The "Angela ooh la la" line is almost a mirror reflection when you repeat it as "ooh la la my Angela" -- how clever is that! Firstly 'Angela' rhymes with 'ooh la la' and then 'ooh la la rhymes with 'Angela'. It's kind of like a sandwich of rhymes and it's incredibly effective! The 'lah' rhyme doesn't sound tired or overused at all even though it's used six times in two lines. What it did to me was that it pulled me into the song and made me sing along with it every time it was repeated! What a great device. That's now added to my toolbox smile I just have to think about some words to use it with.

And I love verse 3 where you end line 1 with "nothing" and then start line 2 with a different interpretation of "nothing". That's a terrific strategy, too. Again, it's added to my toolbox.

Thank you for a great listen and for giving me some lyric-writing inspiration.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 07/19/19 07:33 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Sounds great Kenny!

Awesome mix.

You are a really great lyricist man.

Thank you David, always love to hear from you.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Angela (Ooh La La) - 07/19/19 07:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Kenny,

Thanks for posting a new link.

Gosh this is very, very good!

I love that groove and your instrument choice is perfect! What's more is that everything about this sounds like a group playing on the radio. It's so easy to picture you, lead singer, and all the other band members on stage having fun... very enjoyable music.

As you have probably already realised, I often focus more on lyrics these days than music. That's probably because I'm pretty new to writing lyrics and I'm always on the look out for tricks and strategies to add to my toolbox.

You've done a couple of things with the words that seriously impressed me.

The "Angela ooh la la" line is almost a mirror reflection when you repeat it as "ooh la la my Angela" -- how clever is that! Firstly 'Angela' rhymes with 'ooh la la' and then 'ooh la la rhymes with 'Angela'. It's kind of like a sandwich of rhymes and it's incredibly effective! The 'lah' rhyme doesn't sound tired or overused at all even though it's used six times in two lines. What it did to me was that it pulled me into the song and made me sing along with it every time it was repeated! What a great device. That's now added to my toolbox smile I just have to think about some words to use it with.

And I love verse 3 where you end line 1 with "nothing" and then start line 2 with a different interpretation of "nothing". That's a terrific strategy, too. Again, it's added to my toolbox.

Thank you for a great listen and for giving me some lyric-writing inspiration.

All the best,
Noel

Thank you Noel for those very kind words

You're more than welcome to the tools,

I'm glad that you find value in it.
© PG Music Forums