PG Music Home
Posted By: Will Josef I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 06/15/19 10:38 PM
Want to celebrate summertime with this tune... and show that minor chords can be used in a happy context too... smile

I hope you enjoy this track!

I Saw You Dance Last Summer

RealTracks used:
2325: Bass
1262: Piano
RealDrums: RetroPop
2556: Acoustic guitar
1265: Synth Pad
1950: Solo Piano
1540: Guitar soloist

Will
Posted By: furry Re: I Saw you Dance Last Summer - 06/16/19 03:12 AM
A cracking all round track. Slight latin feel to the rhythm which gives it a real kick !
Posted By: Scott C Re: I Saw you Dance Last Summer - 06/16/19 09:22 AM
Yes very cool rhythm in the song. Guitar was excellent
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I Saw you Dance Last Summer - 06/16/19 11:21 AM
Will,

This is a great listen. EXCELLENT use of BIAB!

I always appreciate when someone uses a RealTrack or RealDrums that we haven't heard before and brings to our attention. Those RealDrums are very cool! (I hadn't heard them before - so thanks for that!).

All the instruments sound good. Excellent mix.

Cool track.

fj
Posted By: rsdean Re: I Saw you Dance Last Summer - 06/16/19 11:29 AM
Will,

This is a great track. Awesome groove and outstanding mix.

Bob
Posted By: Jim Re: I Saw you Dance Last Summer - 06/16/19 03:12 PM
A happy feeling song...
All the parts fit so well...
And with a contagious rhythm...
Yeah... I enjoyed listening to it!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: I Saw you Dance Last Summer - 06/16/19 08:43 PM
Will,
Nice flamenco dance tune.
"minor chords can be used in a happy context" - liked that smile
Pretty complex arrangement for this genre. Mixed very nicely. Good job!

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Will Josef Re: I Saw you Dance Last Summer - 06/16/19 09:02 PM
Originally Posted By: furry
A cracking all round track. Slight latin feel to the rhythm which gives it a real kick !

Thanks Graham. I appreciate that you took the time to listen!

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Yes very cool rhythm in the song. Guitar was excellent

Thank you for your kind comment, Scott!

Will
Posted By: Will Josef Re: I Saw you Dance Last Summer - 06/16/19 09:04 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Will,

This is a great listen. EXCELLENT use of BIAB!

I always appreciate when someone uses a RealTrack or RealDrums that we haven't heard before and brings to our attention. Those RealDrums are very cool! (I hadn't heard them before - so thanks for that!).

All the instruments sound good. Excellent mix.

Cool track.

fj

Thank you, Floyd!

Yes, I have a lot of fun going through older RealTracks... there are a lot of gems hidden within BiaB.

Thanks a lot for listening!
Will
Posted By: Will Josef Re: I Saw you Dance Last Summer - 06/16/19 09:06 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Will,

This is a great track. Awesome groove and outstanding mix.

Bob

Thanks for your kind words, Bob!

Will
Posted By: Will Josef Re: I Saw you Dance Last Summer - 06/16/19 09:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim
A happy feeling song...
All the parts fit so well...
And with a contagious rhythm...
Yeah... I enjoyed listening to it!

Hi Jim,

Yes, I was hoping to spread a happy feeling with this track.

So glad that you liked it!

Will
Posted By: Will Josef Re: I Saw you Dance Last Summer - 06/16/19 09:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Will,
Nice flamenco dance tune.
"minor chords can be used in a happy context" - liked that smile
Pretty complex arrangement for this genre. Mixed very nicely. Good job!

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Hi Misha,

Flamenco? Well, maybe we can call it Flamenco-disco? smile

I really appreciate your kind comments! Thanks for listening.

Will
Posted By: rayc Re: I Saw you Dance Last Summer - 06/17/19 07:15 AM
Very uP.
The piano dominated from the right on my set up.
Reading my way down the page as I listened I'd have loved the piano part to be Flamenco guitar just for the fun of it but it's perfectly fine as is - similarly a clean solo would've served my fruit platter but your choices are excellent and I think you achieved your end.
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 06/17/19 12:36 PM
Hi Will, great work on this! This is beautiful and the mix sounds well polished too. The piano is a nice touch. Keep it up!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 06/17/19 05:56 PM
Great composition and choice of RT's and the RD. Gotta check out those drums for future ideas.

Minor key and happy feel = mission accomplished!

The mix sounds excellent on the monitors.

Kudos!!!

J&B
Posted By: dcuny Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 06/17/19 08:00 PM
Excellent - high energy interesting backing with frequent changing of the lead for variety.

Well done!
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Saw you Dance Last Summer - 06/17/19 08:05 PM
A great rhythm section you have going on here! Very nice guitar work also. An interesting selection of RTs and RD that were mixed to perfection.

Great job on this!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 06/18/19 08:15 PM
Great work utilizing all those RealTracks Will! They mesh together perfectly and that guitar solo stuff really puts this over the top! Great energy to this one! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 06/20/19 06:42 PM
Cool instrumental!! Really keeps you listening. I would put some verb on the lead guitar. Really fun, energetic tune!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: 44kfl Re: I Saw you Dance Last Summer - 06/21/19 01:15 PM
super arrangement!

the drums, percussion, and piano soar

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny
Posted By: beatmaster Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 06/21/19 04:57 PM
Great instrumental, yea drums are great and to be honest I would never have picked them for this track, but they do give it the x factor.
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 06/23/19 02:27 PM
Very nice funky track, I like that bass, great rhythm section. I also like those minor chords, they give nice nostalgic feel. I would like to hear a little bit more reverb, the guitars sounds bit dry for the summer dance.

Janne
Posted By: Will Josef Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 06/25/19 08:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Great composition and choice of RT's and the RD. Gotta check out those drums for future ideas.

Minor key and happy feel = mission accomplished!

The mix sounds excellent on the monitors.

Kudos!!!

J&B

Thanks a lot for listening (and sorry for the late answer...real life issues).

As always I appreciate you taking time to listen... and your comments are so nice, that it makes me blush!

Thanks!
Will
Posted By: Will Josef Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 06/25/19 08:43 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Excellent - high energy interesting backing with frequent changing of the lead for variety.

Well done!

Much appreciated! Thanks for listening!
Will
Posted By: Will Josef Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 06/25/19 08:46 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
A great rhythm section you have going on here! Very nice guitar work also. An interesting selection of RTs and RD that were mixed to perfection.

Great job on this!

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Great work utilizing all those RealTracks Will! They mesh together perfectly and that guitar solo stuff really puts this over the top! Great energy to this one! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks a lot for listening and your nice comments, Mario and Torrey!
Will
Posted By: Tangmo Re: I Saw you Dance Last Summer - 06/26/19 12:15 AM
Yeah, that is one happy-making piece. Well put-together. I loved the trade-offs between guitar and piano. Jammy, but not noodly. Really, really nice.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 06/26/19 08:39 PM
What a tune! Love the upbeat nature, and that groove is fantastic. It really is summery, and easy on the ears - and a great showcase of Band-in-a-Box's versatility. The percussion was an interesting choice, and the guitar solos added a ton of character also.

Wouldn't change a thing - thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Will Josef Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 06/26/19 09:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Cool instrumental!! Really keeps you listening. I would put some verb on the lead guitar. Really fun, energetic tune!! Take care. Greg

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Very nice funky track, I like that bass, great rhythm section. I also like those minor chords, they give nice nostalgic feel. I would like to hear a little bit more reverb, the guitars sounds bit dry for the summer dance.

Janne

Thanks for listening, Greg and Janne. Very much appreciated!

I might upgrade my SoundCloud to "pro" in the near future (running out of minutes) and if I do that I will upload a new version with more reverb on the guitar, because I think you are both right about that!

Thanks again for listening!
Will
Posted By: Will Josef Re: I Saw you Dance Last Summer - 06/26/19 09:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Yeah, that is one happy-making piece. Well put-together. I loved the trade-offs between guitar and piano. Jammy, but not noodly. Really, really nice.

Thank you for listening and your kind comments, Tangmo!

Will
Posted By: Will Josef Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 06/26/19 09:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
What a tune! Love the upbeat nature, and that groove is fantastic. It really is summery, and easy on the ears - and a great showcase of Band-in-a-Box's versatility. The percussion was an interesting choice, and the guitar solos added a ton of character also.

Wouldn't change a thing - thanks for sharing smile

Thanks for your nice comments, Deryk!

Will
Posted By: Steve Young Re: I Saw you Dance Last Summer - 06/26/19 10:54 PM
Great vibe! Like Floyd said, the drums are cool. And yes, you can make a happy song in a minor key! Good job!

Steve
Posted By: Will Josef Re: I Saw you Dance Last Summer - 06/28/19 09:47 PM
Thanks for listening and for your kind comments, Steve! Much appreciated!

Will
Posted By: Crossroads Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 06/30/19 10:40 AM
Hello Will,

I'm alwways amazed about your fabulous usage of BIAB. You always find exactly the style that expresses your intention best. Another very nice tune that really reflects the subject (although celebrating summertime is curently not on my mind: 40 degrees are more than an old middle-european guy can bear...)

All the best,

Stefan
Posted By: Will Josef Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 07/01/19 09:39 PM
Hi Stefan,

So good to hear from you again! I hope everything is well with you and your family. I - and probably many other people - miss your innovative videos and music a lot! I hope you will soon have the energy to produce again (I know the hot weather in Germany doesn't really help ones energy levels..)

Thanks a lot for listening and your kind comments! Now, please make some music for us...

Will
Posted By: Crossroads Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 07/02/19 10:01 AM
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Hi Stefan,

So good to hear from you again! I hope everything is well with you and your family. I - and probably many other people - miss your innovative videos and music a lot! I hope you will soon have the energy to produce again (I know the hot weather in Germany doesn't really help ones energy levels..)

Thanks a lot for listening and your kind comments! Now, please make some music for us...

Will

Dear Will,

those are really very kind and uplifting words - thank you so much for them.

Well, Maha is still very sick, but we are happy to at least see some light at the end of the tunnel (hoping it's not an oncoming train smile ).

But she is so brave and although she's still feeling very weak she insisted on trying to do some working on one of my new songs - ten minutes at a time, but that's such a great progress ! And as soon as she puts her hand on my music it immediately sounds twice as good as before!

Before she got ill I had started to work on several projects so there are some videos that only need her to take care of the song itself.

So I hope that I will be able to post a new video in the course of the next few weeks.

I really hope that you and yours are in good health and you can enjoy the summer. Today it's OK over here: about 24, 25 degrees - that's my idea of a lovely summer day.

All the best, dear Will, and thanks a lot again for your very nice message.

Take good care,

Stefan
Posted By: Will Josef Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 07/02/19 08:42 PM
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your answer! I really hope you understand that I was just joking (about you making more videos) - it is many times more important that you take care of Maha (and all my best wishes to her)... music is really just secondary to good health...

Thank you for wishing me a good summer but I don't mind if it will be rainy and stormy if that means some good energy can be transferred to Germany and Maha... I really, really pray for her to get better soon!

Take care!
Will
Posted By: Crossroads Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 07/03/19 02:53 PM
Hello Will,

oh no, please don't you worry !!!! I really appreciated your words so much and thought that they were VERY nice and uplifting. (And when in doubt, I try to take anything rather funny than serious anyway.)

Thanks so much for your very kind wishes and thoughts for Maha - she really was so delighted when I passed them to her.

Have a very nice evening and all the best

Stefan
Posted By: Noel96 Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 07/19/19 09:31 PM
Hi Will,

I'm very late getting to this one.

I have to say that I'm really glad that I didn't miss it altogether. This is an excellent listen. The overarching sound is highly professional from start to end.

You have a flair for taking BIAB into places I never ever dream of. I always learn something new from listening to your work!

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Will Josef Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 07/21/19 07:52 PM
Thank you, Noel!

Your very kind and warm comments make me blush! Thanks a lot for listening!

Will
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 07/25/19 07:30 PM
The chord progression is somewhat reminiscent of "Solenzara" (Enrico Macias) but more up-tempo and up-lifting. Works well. I like it.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 07/26/19 08:38 AM
Hi Will,

This is a very nice, swinging song. A nice guitar- and pianosolo in it. I almost felt Latin vibrations while listening to your song.
It's a very nice composition and smoothly played. I 'liked' it on SC,

Hans
Posted By: Deej56 Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 07/27/19 01:30 AM
Will,

Some brilliant chord progressions throughout which make this so engaging. And then that piano . . . my, my . . . just a perfect balance from start to finish, and an expert mix of different but compatible and complimentary sounds that makes it impossible to stop listening. I’m not much into instrumentals, and so don’t comment often on them . . . but I’m sure glad I gave this I listen. So well done.

My humble regards to you, sir.

Deej
Posted By: Will Josef Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 07/27/19 04:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
The chord progression is somewhat reminiscent of "Solenzara" (Enrico Macias) but more up-tempo and up-lifting. Works well. I like it.

Thank you! I don't know that song... I will check it out.

Thanks for listening!
Will
Posted By: Will Josef Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 07/27/19 04:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Will,

This is a very nice, swinging song. A nice guitar- and pianosolo in it. I almost felt Latin vibrations while listening to your song.
It's a very nice composition and smoothly played. I 'liked' it on SC,

Hans

Hi Hans,

Thank you for your kind words and for your "like". smile

Much appreciated!
Will
Posted By: Will Josef Re: I Saw You Dance Last Summer - 07/27/19 04:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Will,

Some brilliant chord progressions throughout which make this so engaging. And then that piano . . . my, my . . . just a perfect balance from start to finish, and an expert mix of different but compatible and complimentary sounds that makes it impossible to stop listening. I’m not much into instrumentals, and so don’t comment often on them . . . but I’m sure glad I gave this I listen. So well done.

My humble regards to you, sir.

Deej

Hi Deej,

I am very glad that you took the time to listen - even if instrumentals is not your thing.
Thanks a lot for doing that and also for your very kind comments!

Will
© PG Music Forums