PG Music Home
My dad passed away almost 12 years ago. He was a wonderful father. I don't really remember that many of the gifts he gave me (although he gave me a lot.) But I will always remember how much he loved me. He constantly reminded me of how much he loved me, no matter what we ever were going through. I just finished writing this song as a tribute to him for Father's Day. I know many of us on this forum have parents that have passed, and I hope this song will touch you and help you this Father's Day.

Video...
Love That Never Dies - VIDEO

SoundCloud...
Love That Never Dies - SOUNDCLOUD

I played the piano and strings using various softsynths. The piano is actually 2 layered sounds both from Native Instruments (Grandeur and Gentleman), and the strings are a combination of Native's Session Strings and Logic Pro X strings. There is also Native's Vintage Organ in there. The rest are RealTracks...

RealTracks in song: ~2475:Bass, Acoustic, HeldSimple Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~367:Guitar, Electric, Background Dreamy Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 2028:Fiddle, Soloist CountryAndy Ev 065

Love That Never Dies
©Stephen W. Young

There's a picture on my wall
And It means the world to me
‘Cause that picture says it all
It’s not just faded memories

You taught me how to tie my shoes
Brush my teeth and comb my hair
And always stand up for the truth
And not forget to say my prayers

I haven't taken you for granted
I always wanted you to know
Just how deep your words were planted
They are deep within my soul

So let the evening breeze come gently
And sing your lullabies
'Cause I have so many memories
Of a love that never dies

You taught me how to treat my wife
How to work and be a man
The important things of life
You taught me who I am

You said to put things where I found them
'Cause I may need them again
And so I keep you where I found you
You're in my heart until the end

So let the evening breeze come gently
And sing your lullabies
'Cause I have so many memories
Of a love that never dies
Steve,

This is so touching and beautiful...

Bob
Beautiful song
Steve,

"You said to put things where I found them
You're in my heart until the end"

WOW.

Everything about this is beautiful.

fj
I concur Floyd's opinion...
WOW!
You've written a very powerful poignant song of love!
Such a beautiful song!
My father passed away last year but I never knew him (he left my mother when she was pregnant). Your song reminded me of how it could have been...

Very well done!
Will
Steve,
such a humble tribute. Amazing write and production!
I followed youtube link. Awesome photo with your folks by the car!

My grandfather had same years of birth and when he passed away... 12 years back. He was my mentor in many ways and just somebody who I dearly loved.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Steve

That was really lovely.

Peter
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
WOW.

What floyd jane said.
Lovely stuff Steve.
The decay on one side of the reverb/delay on your vocals gets a slight snare rattle sound that reminds me of the effect that happens when on stage and the snare responds to the vocalist talking etc. It's not bad or anything just interesting in the way it decays to a single side.
Really nice arrangement and mix.
You record your voice well.
hi steve this is so good wow!!! is not enough this song moves the spirit very well done thanks for sharing eric
Hi Steve, what a wonderful tribute to your father, I bet this was quite the process to write. Very sentimental lyrics too. Thanks for sharing!
beautifull and heart felt .what a fantastic write and a lovely tribute to your dad
god bless brad
Steve that was very beautiful. My mother passed away Dec 19th 2017 so your song brought tears to my eyes. My mom was the most important thing in my world. My father died when he was 28 years old fro lukima. (Bone and Blood Cancer) so my mom was mom and dad since I was 2 years of age. I was almost 50 when she passed away fro (brain cancer) a tumor in the brain called a gleoblastoma, and I have a love for her that never dies just like you talk about in your song. Thank you for writing this song, it really got to my heart strings.
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Steve,

This is so touching and beautiful...

Bob

Thanks so much, Bob! Always a pleasure to hear from you!

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Beautiful song

Thanks Scott! Glad you like it!

Steve,

WOW.

fj

Floyd, I always look forward to hearing from you. Glad you like that particular line from the song. It's my favorite. Very true of my thoughts of my dad. Every now and then stumble into a line that I like. smile

===

Steve
Your were blessed to have such a wise and loving father and he was equally blessed to have a son that learned from and appreciated him.

As floyd said "everything about this is beautiful." And the verse he quoted is also our favorite of the write - a write packed with thought provoking and well crafted lines.

We couldn't agree more and there is little left to say other than your vocal and instrumental performances perfectly delivered the sentiment.

Thank you for sharing it.

J&B
Originally Posted By: Jim
I concur Floyd's opinion...
WOW!
You've written a very powerful poignant song of love!

Thanks so much, Jim!

Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Such a beautiful song!
My father passed away last year but I never knew him (he left my mother when she was pregnant). Your song reminded me of how it could have been...

Very well done!
Will

Thank you for your time and posting your comments! I'm ever aware that not everyone has both parents around, and it is a sad situation. I'm sure your mother did all she could do to fill in the gap, and you were greatly loved. I hope this song was an encouragement to you, and you can apply your sentiments to your mom.

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Steve,
such a humble tribute. Amazing write and production!
I followed youtube link. Awesome photo with your folks by the car!

My grandfather had same years of birth and when he passed away... 12 years back. He was my mentor in many ways and just somebody who I dearly loved.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Thanks, Misha! I'm glad you enjoyed this one. Thank God good grandparents, too!

===

Steve
Great tribute, really beautiful and touching in all its simplicity, message deep from your soul. Marktree and solo fiddle are nice additions for the mood. Your vocal track is engineered very well.

Janne
WOW Steve, what a spectacular tribute!! I would smile down (or up, whatever the case might be) if one of my kids wrote something so beautiful about me. Such a pretty melody, such a sweet vocal, and a beautiful lyric. WONDERFUL!!! Take care. Greg
Gorgeous....absolutely, stunning, simply beautiful.

Simple and understated production made this shine. your piano skills are evident on this.

Nicely, nicely done.

Excellent all the way around from the simple production to the, lovely vocals to the touching lyrics.
Steve, I'm sure every father would love to hear his his son or daughter express what you have here.
It's a lovely song with great vocals. I loved the subtle use of the chime tree in the first instance of the chorus:
"So let the evening breeze come gently
And sing your lullabies".
Mike
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Steve

That was really lovely.

Peter

Thanks so much, Peter!

Originally Posted By: dcuny
WOW.

What floyd jane said.

Thanks, David (and Floyd) smile Really do appreciate your kindness, David!

Originally Posted By: rayc
Lovely stuff Steve.
The decay on one side of the reverb/delay on your vocals gets a slight snare rattle sound that reminds me of the effect that happens when on stage and the snare responds to the vocalist talking etc. It's not bad or anything just interesting in the way it decays to a single side.
Really nice arrangement and mix.
You record your voice well.

Thank you, Ray. Yes there is a slight delay that caused some artifacts on the rendering to streaming, that are not there on the wav file. Thanks so much for your nice comments!

===

Steve
Steve, this is simply put, as good as it gets! Your vocal has been sung in excellent fashion and with a genuine feel! The song is wonderful and is something that will touch many hearts! I appreciate your tremendous skill in producing this high quality work! Thanks, Torrey
Wow - this is a powerful tune, and a stunning tribute to your father. It is gentle, moving, and simply beautiful. Your vocals blew me away. There's so much emotional sincerity behind them. I loved how you kept it stripped down too. It adds a lot of merit to the message in what you were trying to say.

You should be very proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile
Steve, this is absolutely beautiful. Your voice is both soft and full of character. The backing is wonderfully subdued, and the chord changes are simple and fresh--especially that little delayed change at the end of the sections. It made me ache just a bit for "resolution", and that alone touched my heart.

Me and mine have had a rocky time of it. But even in rebellion and disobedience, I knew just what it was I rebelled against. And now as he has mellowed and I've grown up from a complete buggerhead, that feeling of love has grown to match the assumption.

Magic.
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi steve this is so good wow!!! is not enough this song moves the spirit very well done thanks for sharing eric

Thanks so much, Eric! Really appreciate your comments.

Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hi Steve, what a wonderful tribute to your father, I bet this was quite the process to write. Very sentimental lyrics too. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, Joe! I'm glad you like this one. It definitely was a heartfelt project for me to do!

Originally Posted By: Biglad
beautifull and heart felt .what a fantastic write and a lovely tribute to your dad
god bless brad

Thanks Brad, for your kind words! I really appreciate you taking the time to listen to this and say some nice words!

===

Steve
Great Song Cuz! <3
I've been out of town on pleasure and business, and found out about the loss of a close friend a couple days ago, so I've been out of pocket. Glad to be back...

Originally Posted By: trapper456
Steve that was very beautiful. My mother passed away Dec 19th 2017 so your song brought tears to my eyes. My mom was the most important thing in my world. My father died when he was 28 years old fro lukima. (Bone and Blood Cancer) so my mom was mom and dad since I was 2 years of age. I was almost 50 when she passed away fro (brain cancer) a tumor in the brain called a gleoblastoma, and I have a love for her that never dies just like you talk about in your song. Thank you for writing this song, it really got to my heart strings.

Thanks, trapper456. I'm glad the song touched you. I hope it brought some healing to your hurt. Blessings to you!

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Your were blessed to have such a wise and loving father and he was equally blessed to have a son that learned from and appreciated him.

As floyd said "everything about this is beautiful." And the verse he quoted is also our favorite of the write - a write packed with thought provoking and well crafted lines.

We couldn't agree more and there is little left to say other than your vocal and instrumental performances perfectly delivered the sentiment.

Thank you for sharing it.

J&B

Hey Janice and Bud, nice to hear from you! Really appreciate your wonderful words. Glad you like this one!

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Great tribute, really beautiful and touching in all its simplicity, message deep from your soul. Marktree and solo fiddle are nice additions for the mood. Your vocal track is engineered very well.

Janne

Thanks so much, Janne! Really appreciate your time listening and posting on this one. Glad you like it!

===

Steve
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
WOW Steve, what a spectacular tribute!! I would smile down (or up, whatever the case might be) if one of my kids wrote something so beautiful about me. Such a pretty melody, such a sweet vocal, and a beautiful lyric. WONDERFUL!!! Take care. Greg

Hey Greg, so nice to hear from you. My dad is definitely UP there. smile Really glad you like this one, and so appreciate your very kind words! (Love your latest work - you just keep getting better all the time!)

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Gorgeous....absolutely, stunning, simply beautiful.

Simple and understated production made this shine. your piano skills are evident on this.

Nicely, nicely done.

Excellent all the way around from the simple production to the, lovely vocals to the touching lyrics.

Thanks so much, Herb! So glad you like this one. Your input is so appreciated!
© PG Music Forums