PG Music Home

St James Infirmary Blues

“St. James Infirmary Blues” is a public domain jazz blues song with a storied past. Its earliest origins date back to a late 18th century English folk song “The Unfortunate Rake.” Later it assumed American variations that included a cowboy ballad and even later in the south as a jazz blues tune that was recorded by many including Louis Armstrong and Bessie Smith. There are so many versions of the lyric that we simply selected and tweaked a few we liked for this production.

Janice - Vocals and arrangement.
Bud - Production tips, arrangement, vocal recording engineer, liner notes and mixing assistance.
Peter - Guitar, arrangement and mixing.

The Band:
RealTracks in song: 564:Bass, Electric, Blues Monday Sw 065
RealTracks in style: 675:Organ, B3, Background Blues Monday Sw 065
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 1886:Piano, Solo-Accompaniment Bluesy12-8John Sw 060
RealDrums [in Song:BluesMondaySw8^06-a,b:Snare, HiHat

ST. JAMES INFIRMARY BLUES

It was down in Old Joe's barroom
On the corner by the square
They were serving drinks as usual
And the usual crowd was there

On my left stood Big Joe McKinney
His eyes were bloodshot red
As he looked at his friends all around him
These were the words he said:

"I went down to the St. James Infirmary
I saw my baby there
Laid out on a long white table
So young, so cold, so fair"

Let her go, let her go
God bless her, wherever she may be
If I search this wide world over
I’ll never find another true love for me

So when I die just bury me
In a fine suit with a Stetson hat
Put a twenty dollar gold piece on my vest
Let my friends know I died standin’ pat

I want six of my friends for pall bearers
A pretty girl to sing me a song
A jazz band to lead my hearse wagon
Everybody singing as we roll along

Everybody singing as we roll along
Let’s roll…
I've always loved this song! Didn't realize it was public domain.

I really like the arrangement on this, Peter, the way you start off with just the piano until the third verse. Nice way to bring in that solo at 3:24! And nice to hear you stretch out a bit there too.

Guitar sounds great, and of course Janice sounds great too.

Good job on the mix, love those drums! What are you running that midi piano through if you don't mind my asking?

Very, very good smile
Peter / Janice / Bud,

Wow! This is over the TOP good...

A classic song and a searing guitar line against Janice's smokey vocal - it does not get better than that.

The arrangement and mix is so beautifully textured. You all have remade a classic and made it yours.

More of this please!

Bob
Peter, Janice and Bud,

This is a very nice song. A good build up.
Strong performance. And the voice of course!
So, a successful collaboration the three of you

Hans
cant go wrong with a voice like that .Superb and the mix and arrangement are top notch
What a tune! As always, Janice's voice on this is stunning - but I love those smoky vibes on the instrumentation as well. I thought the slow progression throughout the tune was perfectly executed also. The way it builds and builds makes for a really inviting listen.

Not a thing I'd change - thanks for sharing smile
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

I really like the arrangement on this, Peter, the way you start off with just the piano until the third verse. Nice way to bring in that solo at 3:24! And nice to hear you stretch out a bit there too.

Good job on the mix, love those drums! What are you running that midi piano through if you don't mind my asking?

Very, very good smile

Thank you Dave!

Janice
Hi Peter, Janice and Bud,
It is never easy to play or to sing a famous song.
And you did it your own way very well. Congratulations. Christian
Peter, J&B,
Starting with the ending... WOW! I thought Janice had wrapped it up with that moody
"let`s roll" but you top it off with steamy guitar: a really sweet arrangement!
The lyrics on this are good - makes this non-jazzy guy curious about other versions.
Janice`s vocals are so right.
A fine,fine collaboration.

Robert
Great collaboration...
The plaintive vocals from Janice...
Quality backing tracks, production, & mix...
Topped of with some mighty tasty guitar work...
All very well done on this classic!
I also did not know this was PD... nice work
PB&J,

Super all around.

Excellent arrangement. The upright (I assume?) is the perfect piano sound for this. The drums sound great. Good mix.

The guitar outro/solo is gorgeous - musical, lyrical!

The vocal is typical to-die-for-Janice-making-it-look-easy... Star.

Excellent.

fj
I love this song. It has such a familiar sound to it. May have heard it in another arrangement a long time of it. Just couldn't put my finger on it. So glad you and Janice did it because it is a very neat song. Vocal was awesome and the backtrack was very cool. Drums were very cool. Such a neat mix.... Guitar was just perfect for the song. The solo just soared over the backtrack. So very well done. Great collaboration....
Absolutely stunning vocals, mix and production.
I was hoping that you would have went back to the verse..

I saw my baby there

After the instrumental at the end to finish, would also love to hear you record your own backing vocals to accompany your lead vocals.

Again all round Fantastic.

Thanks
Never heard it done better. Hey, J&B, is "Frankie and Johnny," PD ?? If it is, I have a request smile
Hello Peter, fantastic choice of instrumentation on this. This sounds very full and rhythm is easy to follow. Great effects on the vocals. Nice work!
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Peter / Janice / Bud,

A classic song and a searing guitar line against Janice's smokey vocal - it does not get better than that.

The arrangement and mix is so beautifully textured. You all have remade a classic and made it yours.

More of this please!

Bob

Thank you Bob! I was happy to be invited in.

Janice
Really great collaboration you guys!
Loved it.
I've heard literally scores of versions, this was one of the best.
Peter / Janice & Bud.
Super cool! A lot of drive in this tune. Janice, excellent vocals! (a bit jealous again smile ).
Peter, guitar playing is great and you got some signature tube sound, which I initially thought was a bit dry, but when solo came in I totally got the texture you were after. Production is top tier. Congrats to you all and thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Very, very good smile

Dave
Thanks for those comments appreciate them all. I used the True Pianos soft synth in Sonar for the midi piano.

Peter
Wow. smile

Good is so many ways.

I expected Janice's sultry vocals and excellent production, and was not disappointed. Piano sounds great.

I didn't expect the guitar solo - icing on top of an already scrumptious cake.
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Peter / Janice / Bud,

More of this please!

Bob

Thanks Bob - hopefully more to come.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Peter, Janice and Bud,

Hans

Thanks a bunch!

Janice
excellent cover, great song!

Janice, super vocals

the mix is top notch

Peter, I've never noticed before but I heard some ec (eric) influence in those solos

fine playing

I've been watching Peaky Blinders (early 1900s English crime drama)

and this song would fit in beautifully.

btw, I've played this one before, years ago in a club band.

I was just the quiet bass player in the background.
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Peter, Janice and Bud,

Hans

Thanks a lot Hans.

Peter
This is one of my favorite songs and you really kicked butt (PC version) on this!

The arrangement was perfect. The mix was perfect. Janice's vocal and Peter's guitar were phenomenal!

This version is as good as or better than most of the commercial versions that I have heard.

You all should be very proud of this one.
Everything in this is excellent Peter! You must have spent a lot of time tweaking and getting this one ready to go! All the instruments are perfectly placed and mixed well (loved that growling organ) and of course the guitar sounds great as well as that perfect vocal! Thanks, Torrey
WOW!

If there's a better version of this old classic anywhere out there, I've never heard it. That piano just weaves its way throughout the song like the subtle current of a meandering stream. This is so good in every possible way. I can't think of much else to say other than "WOW!" The talent in this forum is mind-boggling and this is a fabulous example of that. I'm stunned with the way this song overtakes me as I listen. Again, WOW!

Alan
Originally Posted By: Biglad
cant go wrong with a voice like that .Superb and the mix and arrangement are top notch

Thanks - it is indeed hard to go wrong with Janice and Bud's input and performance.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Biglad

Thank you for your time to listen and comment!

Janice

Killer version of this song and scorching guitar solo!

Really nice job y'all.
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
What a tune! As always, Janice's voice on this is stunning - but I love those smoky vibes on the instrumentation as well. I thought the slow progression throughout the tune was perfectly executed also. The way it builds and builds makes for a really inviting listen.

Deryk, thank you so much for saying that!

Janice
Love this song!! My son's jazz band plays this one....love the dark feeling of it. Never knew it had lyrics. You guys just knocked it out of the park!!! Janice can sing the hell out of this kind of tune (and probably about any kind!), and the guitar playing is sweet. Production/mix are tops!! Great job by all!!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music

Thanks Deryk appreciate the comments.

Peter
Peter (and Janice):

Superb. That piano is outstanding—really sets the mood, and it’s mixed so well against Janie’s excellent vocal. This touches all the blues bases and then some . . . really impressive collaborative production. Enjoyed it a lot!

My best to you both,

Deej
Originally Posted By: Chris37

Christian, I’m happy that you like our interpretation!

Janice
Originally Posted By: Chris37

Thanks Christian.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Peter, J&B,
Starting with the ending... WOW! I thought Janice had wrapped it up with that moody
The lyrics on this are good - makes this non-jazzy guy curious about other versions.

Robert

Thanks Robert. There are quite a number of versions out there. Certainly worth a "google".

Peter
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Peter, J&B,

Robert

Thank you Robert. There are hundreds of versions of this and it seems they all have different lyrics!

Janice
Originally Posted By: Jim
Great collaboration...

Thanks Jim appreciate the comments.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I also did not know this was PD... nice work

Thanks Herb.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Jim
Great collaboration...

Thank you Jim and that was, for sure, tasty guitar!

Janice
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
PB&J,

Super all around.

Excellent arrangement. The upright (I assume?) is the perfect piano sound for this. The drums sound great. Good mix.

Excellent.

fj

floyd

Thanks for the supportive review. Janice indeed does make it seem easy - and flawless.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Scott C
I love this song. It has such a familiar sound to it. May have heard it in another arrangement a long time of it. Just couldn't put my finger on it. So glad you and Janice did it because it is a very neat song. Vocal was awesome and the backtrack was very cool. Drums were very cool. Such a neat mix.... Guitar was just perfect for the song. The solo just soared over the backtrack. So very well done. Great collaboration....

Thanks Scott appreciate the comments on the guitar playing it's a nice progression to play over.

Peter
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Never heard it done better. Hey, J&B, is "Frankie and Johnny," PD ?? If it is, I have a request smile

Not sure but thanks for the suggestion.

Peter

Originally Posted By: beatmaster

I saw my baby there

After the instrumental at the end to finish, would also love to hear you record your own backing vocals to accompany your lead vocals.

Thanks

Thanks appreciate the comments.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hello Peter, fantastic choice of instrumentation on this. This sounds very full and rhythm is easy to follow. Great effects on the vocals. Nice work!

Thanks Joe.

Peter
Hi Peter
I have I to say Im not a big fan of blues but I can appreciate a well put together song and this is really great .The vocals and Electric guitar are super .The drums are excellent into the chorus and instrumental.Very pro production .You should be very proud Peter and Janice of this superb song.H
Lets Roll.........
Thanks Herb. There are websites devoted to trying to discover the origins of this song. Fascinating stuff.

J&B
Made me sweat. Janice sounds wonderful twisting the blues. "Let's roll" indeed, right back into that tasty guitar we'd had just a nibble off before. What a way to take it out.
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music

Thanks Ember

Peter
Originally Posted By: rayc
Loved it.

Thanks Ray

Peter
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
PB&J,

Super all around.

Excellent.

fj

Thank you so much. This was a FUN project and I’m happy you like it!

Janice
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger

Thanks.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Peter / Janice & Bud.
Super cool! A lot of drive in this tune. Janice, excellent vocals! (a bit jealous again smile ).
Peter, guitar playing is great and you got some signature tube sound, which I initially thought was a bit dry, but when solo came in I totally got the texture you were after. Production is top tier. Congrats to you all and thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Thanks a lot Misha, appreciate the comments on the guitar tone.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Scott C

Thank you Scott. Bud and I have listened to many versions of this over the years and it was a pleasant surprise when Peter suggested it for a collab.

Janice
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Wow. smile

Good is so many ways.

I expected Janice's sultry vocals and excellent production, and was not disappointed. Piano sounds great.

Very much appreciated David.

Peter
Originally Posted By: 44kfl

Janice, super vocals

the mix is top notch

Peter, I've never noticed before but I heard some ec (eric) influence in those solos

fine playing

Kenny

Appreciate all those positive comments.
EC - Janice / Bud often comment on my Clapton influences, been listening to him for a long time.

Peter
Originally Posted By: MarioD
This is one of my favorite songs and you really kicked butt (PC version) on this!

The arrangement was perfect. The mix was perfect. Janice's vocal and Peter's guitar were phenomenal!

This version is as good as or better than most of the commercial versions that I have heard.

Mario thanks for those very nice comments.
Peter
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Everything in this is excellent Peter! You must have spent a lot of time tweaking and getting this one ready to go! All the instruments are perfectly placed and mixed well (loved that growling organ) and of course the guitar sounds great as well as that perfect vocal! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks Torrey appreciate the review.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Al-David
WOW!

If there's a better version of this old classic anywhere out there, I've never heard it. That piano just weaves its way throughout the song like the subtle current of a meandering stream. This is so good in every possible way. I can't think of much else to say other than "WOW!" The talent in this forum is mind-boggling and this is a fabulous example of that. I'm stunned with the way this song overtakes me as I listen. Again, WOW!

Alan

Alan you are too kind - thanks for those encouraging words. I agree there is some wonderfully talented musicians on the forum (and it's great to be able to collaborate with them).

Peter
Originally Posted By: beatmaster

I saw my baby there

Thanks

Thank you! Your comments on the vocal are very kind.

Janice

Originally Posted By: edshaw

Thanks! Hmmmm. That would be fun!

Janice
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Really nice job y'all.

Appreciate the comments David.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music

Originally Posted By: rayc
Loved it.

Thanks y'all!

Janice
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Love this song!! My son's jazz band plays this one....love the dark feeling of it. Never knew it had lyrics. You guys just knocked it out of the park!!! Janice can sing the hell out of this kind of tune (and probably about any kind!), and the guitar playing is sweet. Production/mix are tops!! Great job by all!!! Take care. Greg

Appreciate those comments Greg, very impressed with your recent output.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Peter (and Janice):

Superb. That piano is outstanding—really sets the mood, and it’s mixed so well against Janie’s excellent vocal. This touches all the blues bases and then some . . . really impressive collaborative production. Enjoyed it a lot!

My best to you both,

Deej

Thanks a lot.

Peter
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Peter / Janice & Bud.

Misha.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Wow. smile

Good is so many ways.

I appreciate you three taking the time to listen and to write such nice comments. Thank you!

Janice
Originally Posted By: Hugh2
Hi Peter
I have I to say Im not a big fan of blues but I can appreciate a well put together song and this is really great .The vocals and Electric guitar are super .The drums are excellent into the chorus and instrumental.Very pro production .You should be very proud Peter and Janice of this superb song.H
Lets Roll.........

Appreciate the review Hugh.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Made me sweat. Janice sounds wonderful twisting the blues. "Let's roll" indeed, right back into that tasty guitar we'd had just a nibble off before. What a way to take it out.

Thanks a lot.

Peter
Im really late on this sorry Peter. Probably already mentioned but is very simular to the House of The Rising Sun.
Janice really breaths life into this great old tune.
Great band choice and production. Love the distorted guitar. Rob
Originally Posted By: 44kfl

Janice, super vocals

the mix is top notch

fine playing

Thanks Kenny. I often can see Peter doing the Eric “leg lift” during his solos. And we both thank you for mentioning Peaky Blinders! We’ve started watching and enjoying it.

Janice

Originally Posted By: MarioD

Mario, I much appreciate that. We all had a lot of fun with this!

Janice
WOW! This is so well done! Love the piano. Really, love everything about this one. Great job on the guitar, Peter! And Janice, your vocals are as good as ever (and that's always great).

Very well produced. I don't know how I missed this one before, but I'm sure I heard it now!

Steve
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
WOW! This is so well done! Love the piano. Really, love everything about this one. Great job on the guitar, Peter! And Janice, your vocals are as good as ever (and that's always great).

Very well produced. I don't know how I missed this one before, but I'm sure I heard it now!

Steve

Thanks Steve appreciate that.

Peter

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Im really late on this sorry Peter. Probably already mentioned but is very simular to the House of The Rising Sun.

Thanks Rob

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss

Thank you Torrey!

Janice

Originally Posted By: Al-David
WOW!

Alan

Alan, I’m so glad you liked This! I know you have a feel for blues.

Thanks!

Janice

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Really nice job y'all.

Thanks David!

Janice

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Greg, you're very kind and it’s my pleasure to introduce you to the lyrics!

Janice

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Peter (and Janice):

My best to you both,

Deej

Thanks a bunch!

Janice

Originally Posted By: Hugh2
Hi Peter
Lets Roll.........

Thanks! See the blues aren’t so bad smile

Janice

Originally Posted By: Tangmo

How nice of you! I do love singing those blues.

Janice

Originally Posted By: Rob4580

Thanks Rob!

Janice

Originally Posted By: Steve Young

Steve

I appreciate that Steve. And you are right - Peter really took it over the top.

Janice
© PG Music Forums