PG Music Home
Posted By: edshaw Gospel Blues in CMajor - 06/19/19 07:14 PM
Gospel Blues in CMajor
Instrumental
Featuring Band in a Box Real Tracks pianist John Jarvis

Treid a little something different on this. Isolated John's piano on a separate track with piano high level and backing track very low.
Recorded over the bass line. Brett's guitar still audible but kind of covered. Original BB drum track audible.

Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Gospel Blues in CMajor - 06/19/19 07:53 PM
Hello edshaw, what a marvelous song I might say! Excellent mixdown on all of this and I dig the overall timbres. Good use of EFX on the guitar. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: edshaw Re: Gospel Blues in CMajor - 06/19/19 08:43 PM
Hey, Joe. Good ear & thanks for the comments. I'm not sure what you're hearing, but since the guitar tracks are essentially dry (a little reverb) if you have a second, I'll relate why I think you might be hearing.
I set the recording up with four guitar tracks. Track:
#3 = Bass line, 2nd position (finger 2 on 3rd fret C.)
#4 = Chord comps. Positions 2-3-4.
#5 = Melody, low-mid range, 3rd pos, 5th fret C.
#6 = Melody, high range, pos. 5 & 6, frets 10 & 13.
I go through this because I think what sounds like an effect just might be phasing of the melody lines. Earlier this spring I was fooling around with layering, playing the same melody, not improv'd, in different positions and danged if I didn't wind up with phasing. I thought, "Aha, this is how Les Paul and Mary Ford discovered tremolo!"
Other than that, once the 4 guitar tracks were finished, I EQ'd and Compressed them, but I don't think that changed the effect.

Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Gospel Blues in CMajor - 06/19/19 08:47 PM
A really lovely instrumental. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: edshaw Re: Gospel Blues in CMajor - 06/19/19 08:56 PM
Thanks, Ember. I love that C/Am D7/G7 C/G7 turnaround. Isn't it cool?
Posted By: Jim Re: Gospel Blues in CMajor - 06/20/19 12:24 PM
Nice one Ed...
Do you plan to add any lyrics & sing along with it?
Posted By: edshaw Re: Gospel Blues in CMajor - 06/20/19 07:11 PM
At one time, Jim, I was considered almost prolific in the song writing field. I had the knack of producing lyrics to rhythmic sounds as diverse as from a railroad train passing to running water from a faucet or shower head.
It must of had to do with an emotional association with a rhythmic line. Gibson has a model named "Songwriter," which I take to mean chord strumming machine. In fact, I wound up chord comping on keyboard.
Not to go on, or to give you the idea I'm seeking analysis, that knack drifted away. This was coincident with a new found interest in melody. At first, I thought it was a passing phase, but you know, I really have not been able to write for some years, now. I have one BB collab on the docket that just sits there, awaiting inspiration. (Maybe the curse of R & R.)
The melodies on this "Gospel Blues ib Cmajor" mainly consist of 1-3-5 lines in C-F-G. Maybe that will strike a happy medium and get me going, again.
Thanks for the comment.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Gospel Blues in CMajor - 06/20/19 08:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
A really lovely instrumental. Thanks for sharing!

A BIG +1
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Gospel Blues in CMajor - 06/21/19 11:39 AM
I'll say it again - just a lovely, pleasant, and easy to take tune. Flows like water and is easy to close your eyes and get lost in.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: edshaw Re: Gospel Blues in CMajor - 06/21/19 12:54 PM
Thank you Mario and Deryk. Where would I be without you?
I have plans to use the classic progressions to do a few more. The learning process seems to have been magnified.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Gospel Blues in CMajor - 06/21/19 06:37 PM
Nice tune Ed!! A bit on the long side, but very pleasant...rolls along very nicely. Enjoyed it!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: edshaw Re: Gospel Blues in CMajor - 06/21/19 07:17 PM
Thanks, Greg. That is definitely a concern, If I cut them at 3:10, the audiences say they are too short. They want to hear a couple of improvised verses. However, in the case of instruental versions, that should not apply. Good suggestion.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Gospel Blues in CMajor - 06/23/19 08:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
I'll say it again - just a lovely, pleasant, and easy to take tune. Flows like water and is easy to close your eyes and get lost in.

Thanks for sharing smile

Ed, Deryk said exactly what I was thinking! I almost missed this one! Keep at it! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Scott C Re: Gospel Blues in CMajor - 06/24/19 10:28 PM
Cool tune Ed. Nice change up in instruments. Well done
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Gospel Blues in CMajor - 06/25/19 12:16 PM
Nice tune. May be the internet on my end or on Instaudio, but I hear a tremendous amount of artifacts on the song. Also, the volume level is extremely low. I had to turn up my volume almost all the way to get a good level of sound. Like I said, could just be a temporary anomaly.

Otherwise, enjoyed the song.

Steve
Posted By: edshaw Re: Gospel Blues in CMajor - 06/25/19 05:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Nice tune. May be the internet on my end or on Instaudio, but I hear a tremendous amount of artifacts on the song. Also, the volume level is extremely low. I had to turn up my volume almost all the way to get a good level of sound. Like I said, could just be a temporary anomaly.
Otherwise, enjoyed the song.
Steve

Oh, yeah, Steve. I see. It wasn't like that at first, though the volume is something I continue to work on. I recorded it as a 64kbs MP3 and that just doesn't cut it. I just load a version of "Leaning" recorded at 128 kbs MP3. Maybe that will do it. Even at that, the file is under 5Mb.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Gospel Blues in CMajor - 06/29/19 07:14 PM
Ed,

Great instrumental... Excellent mix and arrangement.

Bob
Posted By: rayc Re: Gospel Blues in CMajor - 06/30/19 06:06 AM
Nice melody but it sounds, to me, like there's a tap running in the background. I assume that's the partially muted backing. I'd opt for a "vinyl" crackle effect or radio EQ to give it an old timey feel rather than the slightly distracting nature of what's there.
© PG Music Forums