PG Music Home
Hello forum friends. Been getting here more often lately and hearing a ton of great songs!! I have always been a big fan of Brian Wilson (and Dani, our forum's BW). This song seemed to go that direction melodically so I wrote it in that 60's style I'm so fond of.....still my favorite era. Hope you enjoy! Love "hearing" your comments! Take care. Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/summercomesalong

Summer Comes Along

You're that girl that I can't resist
Sometimes I wonder but you insist
That your hear belongs to me
That I hold that magic key

You hold me close when the cold wind blows
You hold my hand through the Winter snows
And your kisses keep me warm
As we shelter from the storm

But then Summer comes along
And you hear your favorite songs
I see the sun reflecting in your eyes
And you see those other guys
And it's not completely clear
If it will be me that's holding here
When Summer's gone
When Summer's gone away

I'm the guy who's been here with you
When those dark clouds would make you blue
When the season brings you down
Oh, you know I'll be around

I'll stay with you through the darkest night
And foolishly will believe in spite
Of everything you do
And you'll say you love me too

But then Summer comes...
Greg, you never disappoint! What a great song and performance! This song will touch the heart of any listener who really listens! You touch on so many tender moments of years ago! Beautiful work Greg! Thanks, Torrey
I agree with Torrey - it is a wonderful and touching song. For me it is also a time travel back to the 70s (which is nice)... Very well done, Greg!

Will
Excellent! What a great tune. Well done on the mix and vocals.
Rob
Magic!

Anyone that can chanell Brian Wilson def has some magic

absolutely love the melody and changes

beautiful vocals
Greg

Wonderful stuff - the songs just keep getting better on the forum.
Stunning vocal and melody, an excellent listen.
Brian Wilson would be happy with this one.

Peter
Greatness throughout this one, def Wilson bros, this song needs to go back in a time machine to become the hit it is.
I'm getting good vibrations about this one Greg.
The song, the arrangement and the production are superb but your vocals are the real standout.
Cheers,
Mike
Greg,

This is excellent! I love the song and the performance.

Outstanding arrangement and mix.

Thoroughly enjoyed!

Bob
Greg, any appreciation of Big Brian is worth tuning into.
I'm extra pleased I did because the chorus is purely Sunshine.
You did a fabulous job with the harmonies and the arrangement.
SsssWonderful. Simply wonderful.

I wrote a tribute to BW a few years back. I recorded, initially, to tape and mixed in mono. I had to remix to stereo becasue a whole bundle of people got a little upset about the idea of me doing mono. WEIRD eh? The song referred to hearing in mono but taht went over their heads. Well, that was a different forum and a yonk ago.
Here's my BW track though - in stereo sadly...
Nice!! Definitely has that 60's Beach Boys vibe happening. Special time for music!

Man, the way you handled the vocals ... very, very good indeed. And that chorus is outstanding!

Very, very good smile
What an excellent summer tune Greg! Very much a throwback to the 60s. Well done!
Your aim has hit the mark. Brilliant production. Once again, vocally superb, love the harmonies. The 60s are my favorite era for music too.
The level of songs on this forum is rising higher and higher all the time. This is a perfect example, maybe the best ever, should be part of BIAB marketing campaign. Excellently produced summer tune with amazing vocals, so clean on the high register... and the backing vocals are so carefully made. Mix and arrangement are very radio friendly stuff. The melody and lyrics are pure 60's magic.

Janne
I've told you already what kind of sacrifices I'd make to have your range. Killer vocals and BGV.

"I see the sun reflecting in your eyes" is not only a vivid picture, the prosody here is excellent and fresh.

Was that ukelele playing those chords? Or banjo? Or high-strung guitar? Anyway, nice flavor.

Sweet, sweet summertime, summertime song.
Greg,
Oh those are some sweet harmonies!
The melody and sunshiny message are pitch perfect for the style- very good!
Just had a thought/wish... to hear Greg and Dani singing up in the stratosphere together.

Robert
Yeah, that has a solid Beach Boy's sound to it.

I think you nailed the 60's summer of peace and love feel.

nice.... was that a uke stumming..... dead on perfect call on that instrument in there.
Well done greg ,perfectly captured the sound and essence of the 60s.loved the harmonys and quality vocal and production
thank you
I loved the song from the start - as you said, that warm and gentle sound that Dani does so well.

I was wondering about the Brian Wilson references. But not for long, because I got to the chorus.

Oh, man - sooooo sweet. smile
A nice well-done tribute...
One you should be proud of...
The verses seem to have a Burt Bacharach influence...
And when the chorus kicks in...
I'm hearing the Brian Wilson/Dani influence...
You done a great job on this one...
I enjoyed it!
Wow - what a tune smile Lovin' the 60's throwback, and the harmonies on this are certainly reminiscent of the Beach Boys. Got me smiling and swaying from the get go, and the mix job on this is stunning as well. It sounds extremely professional, and is beautiful in it's simplicity. There's a lot going on, but it manages not to sound overbearing.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing!
Wow! This is just spectacular! I have always loved Brian Wilson's work. Your harmonies are spot on. The arrangement is just right. Subtle and sweet. Very good feel for this song. I have to say, this is one of my favorite songs that I have heard on the forum, and that's saying a lot!

Good job!

Steve
Excellent song and performance. Very enjoyable.
Paul McCartney jams with the Beach Boys...nice!

The counter point singing is standout as are all of the vocal parts.

Everything about the production says "positive vibe." The "uke" if that is what it is was a perfect choice.

And you wrapped it all up in a fine mix.

Kudos Greg!

J&B
Here comes.. Summer comes along, Brilliant write and excellent vocals.

I loved the overlap on the vocals, and the feel of this one.

I am like you I love the sound of the sixties era, and hearing this just made my night.

This would have been a song that would've been snapped up in that era.

Enjoyed this again well done.

Thanks
Wow this is so groovy whistle ! A great flashback to the 60's for sure.

You did capture The Beach Boys groove and harmony for sure. This brought back many fine memories of that era.

This is a winner!
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Greg, you never disappoint! What a great song and performance! This song will touch the heart of any listener who really listens! You touch on so many tender moments of years ago! Beautiful work Greg! Thanks, Torrey

Hi Greg ...

Torrey commented so perfectly on this one. Indeed, you never disappoint. And, as I always say (and mean) ... what a great voice. You are a lyric's best friend. Simply amazingly good.

Alan

PS: I grew up in the 50s and 60s and I love this style. Wow, what memories ... thanks!
Greg,

EVERYTHING about this is OUTSTANDING!

What a great choice of instruments (Brian would be proud!)

The write is so good. Simple, yet well chosen words...

The melody is to-die-for.

And Oh. My. God. those vocals!!

Beach Boys captured.

One of the best things ever presented on these forums.

fj
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss

Thanks so much Torrey! Your words are very much taken to heart. Love your new one! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
I agree with Torrey - it is a wonderful and touching song. For me it is also a time travel back to the 70s (which is nice)... Very well done, Greg!

Will

Thanks Will! Yeah, if I could I'd time travel back to the 70's daily.....may even stay there, and only occasionally come back to this reality! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Excellent! What a great tune. Well done on the mix and vocals.
Rob

Thanks Rob! You have been an active contributor lately with some QUALITY stuff! Take care. Greg
hi greg this has pro sound so well done excellent work thanks for sharing this eric
Greg,
Great write! Enjoyed it very much. Vocal harmony flows beautifully. Lyrics are excellent. Feels like you put a lot of heart into this tune.
P.S. 60s surely is a magic period in music. If I did not know it was you, I would probably think that it is an older piece remastered smile

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Dear Greg !:))

Your reference to BW is absolutely right !
If I did not know this was written by you
I would have taken it as a product from BW:S
pen with the real Beach Boys backing up !
Greg, your ref to me, well I don´t think I
am worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence
as BW but, ol´friend, naturally I feel most humbled
by such most kind words !

Your tune is absolutely superb and among the absolute
greatest that I´ve ever heard here on the forum and
outside too ! I must congratulate you, Greg for
producing such a masterpiece !:))

Cheers
Dani
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Magic!

Anyone that can chanell Brian Wilson def has some magic

absolutely love the melody and changes

beautiful vocals

Thanks so much Kenny! I really appreciate that! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Greg

Wonderful stuff - the songs just keep getting better on the forum.
Stunning vocal and melody, an excellent listen.
Brian Wilson would be happy with this one.

Peter

Thanks Peter! I agree.....there's some incredible stuff on this forum! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Greatness throughout this one, def Wilson bros, this song needs to go back in a time machine to become the hit it is.

Thanks for you kind words! Means a lot to me. Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G)
I'm getting good vibrations about this one Greg.
The song, the arrangement and the production are superb but your vocals are the real standout.
Cheers,
Mike

Thanks Mike! I really appreciate your comments! Take care. Greg
In a word - WOW!!! l
I've been listening to Brian's "Love And Mercy" lately - I love the Beach Boys sound.
Greg, Everything about this is so beautiful - the chord changes, harmonies, arrangement - the whole production. Your falsetto voice is beyond gorgeous. I've already listened twice. grin And want to hear it again.
What a cool song Greg. Such a cool vocal. Loved when you went to your head voice. Definitely got the Beach Boys vibe. So well done Greg.....
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Greg,

This is excellent! I love the song and the performance.

Outstanding arrangement and mix.

Thoroughly enjoyed!

Bob

Thanks Bob! LOVE your newest!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: rayc
Greg, any appreciation of Big Brian is worth tuning into.
I'm extra pleased I did because the chorus is purely Sunshine.
You did a fabulous job with the harmonies and the arrangement.
SsssWonderful. Simply wonderful.

I wrote a tribute to BW a few years back. I recorded, initially, to tape and mixed in mono. I had to remix to stereo becasue a whole bundle of people got a little upset about the idea of me doing mono. WEIRD eh? The song referred to hearing in mono but taht went over their heads. Well, that was a different forum and a yonk ago.
Here's my BW track though - in stereo sadly...

Thanks Ray! Like your tribute! I did one using a similar idea to Pink Floyd. I think is sounds great, even though it is in stereo....lol.....Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice!! Definitely has that 60's Beach Boys vibe happening. Special time for music!

Man, the way you handled the vocals ... very, very good indeed. And that chorus is outstanding!

Very, very good smile

Thanks Dave! Just heard your new one.....WOW!!! Take care. Greg
Hi Greg,

what a lovely love song - actually one of the very best I've heard in quite some time. Very appealing melody, stunning vocals all the way! Fantastic number, congrats on this one !!!!!

All the best,

Stefan
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
What an excellent summer tune Greg! Very much a throwback to the 60s. Well done!

THanks for the listen and kind words Joe! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Your aim has hit the mark. Brilliant production. Once again, vocally superb, love the harmonies. The 60s are my favorite era for music too.

THanks so much! Yeah, it doesn't get better than the 60's, does it? Listened to your new one today....nice!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: jannesan
The level of songs on this forum is rising higher and higher all the time. This is a perfect example, maybe the best ever, should be part of BIAB marketing campaign. Excellently produced summer tune with amazing vocals, so clean on the high register... and the backing vocals are so carefully made. Mix and arrangement are very radio friendly stuff. The melody and lyrics are pure 60's magic.

Janne

THanks so much Janne! Really like Modulate! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
I've told you already what kind of sacrifices I'd make to have your range. Killer vocals and BGV.

"I see the sun reflecting in your eyes" is not only a vivid picture, the prosody here is excellent and fresh.

Was that ukelele playing those chords? Or banjo? Or high-strung guitar? Anyway, nice flavor.

Sweet, sweet summertime, summertime song.

Thanks Tango for your extremely kind words! Yes, that is a uke from one of the "world" RTs (I believe). Style is Lei I think. Take care. Greg
A delicate and vulnerable lyric. Simple a wonderful write and composition!

and the harmonies are delightful!
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Greg,
Oh those are some sweet harmonies!
The melody and sunshiny message are pitch perfect for the style- very good!
Just had a thought/wish... to hear Greg and Dani singing up in the stratosphere together.

Robert

THanks for the kind words Robert! Always enjoy your posts! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Yeah, that has a solid Beach Boy's sound to it.

I think you nailed the 60's summer of peace and love feel.

nice.... was that a uke stumming..... dead on perfect call on that instrument in there.

Thanks Herb! Yeah, I think the style is LEI under world music. Always liked the uke! Take care. Greg

Greg,

This is really good! Your vocals are outstanding! I really enjoyed this.

You really captured that Beach Boys sound!
Originally Posted By: Biglad
Well done greg ,perfectly captured the sound and essence of the 60s.loved the harmonys and quality vocal and production
thank you

Thanks so much for the nice review! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I loved the song from the start - as you said, that warm and gentle sound that Dani does so well.

I was wondering about the Brian Wilson references. But not for long, because I got to the chorus.

Oh, man - sooooo sweet. smile

Thanks David! Been digging your recent instrumentals! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums