PG Music Home
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 How I Missed You This 4th - 07/10/19 04:14 AM
https://soundcloud.com/user-423212678/how-i-missed-you-this-4th
Was going for a 70s-ish acid-jazz/fusion al la Jean Luc Ponty, Wayne Shorter, et al.

It's not quite where I want it to be, but I've been crazy busy lately. Hopefully my time should be freeing up somewhat within the next couple of months and I'll have more time to work on my music so I'll probably revisit it at a later date.

That said, hope ya'll enjoy

RealDrums:
SouthernPopNeoSoulSw16^ (variations)

Loop:
HipHop\Old School - buckshott_92_a drums sw16

Bass:
~902-Electric, SmoothCool Sw16 075

Guitar:

2682-Electric, Rhythm ModernPopSwing16HighZane Sw16 075

Synth Pad

1840 PopModernGrooveMellow Ev16 075 (through Izotope Trash 2)

MIDI SuperTrack
2083-Piano, Rhythm, SmoothJazzCool Sw16 075 (through AIR Hybrid 3)

Soloists (custom medley)
Sax:
2357-Baritone, Soloist Slow128BluesGary Sw 060
Harmonica (1):
3213-BluesSlowEvenFieryLD Ev 085
Harmonica (2):
3293-BluesSlow12-8LD Sw 060
Fiddle:
1364-GypsyJazzBallad Sw 110 [Double-Time]
Posted By: Noel96 Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/10/19 05:13 AM
Hi DB,

For a work in progress, this is terrific! Your choice of instruments is excellent. I look forward to hearing the end product when a bit of time for music comes your way!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/10/19 05:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi DB,

For a work in progress, this is terrific! Your choice of instruments is excellent. I look forward to hearing the end product when a bit of time for music comes your way!

All the best,
Noel

Thanks so much, Noel!

It's actually been a crazy year for me, which entailed moving twice, and significant transitions/added responsibilities in my professional life (all of this ultimately for the better fortunately, but VERY time consuming!).

Things slow down towards the end of the summer though through the first quarter of the next year. I've no intention to move again the foreseeable future barring unforeseen circumstances (fingers crossed!) so I'm really hoping to get back into playing. I even got a entry-level keyboard because I always wanted to play the piano and also want to devote myself to that when some time frees up :-)
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/10/19 10:18 AM
This is a terrific display of RT's, loops, an RD and a MST.

A great illustration of what talent can do with this technology.

And a fine mix tops it off.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: floyd jane Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/10/19 10:51 AM
DB,

A nice, mellow listen. Mix sounds good.

fj
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/10/19 11:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
This is a terrific display of RT's, loops, an RD and a MST.

A great illustration of what talent can do with this technology.

And a fine mix tops it off.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

Wow, coming from you guys..I am humbled!
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/10/19 11:19 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
DB,

A nice, mellow listen. Mix sounds good.

fj

Much appreciated, FJ :-)
Posted By: Jim Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/10/19 12:16 PM
Nicely done...-
Laid back, cool, & very melodic...
I can only imagine what you will come up with...
When you find time to work on your music smile!
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/10/19 01:08 PM
Nice work DeaconBlues09, what a marvelous song I might say! Fantastic selection of instruments here and rhythm is easy to follow. Thoroughly enjoyed the fiddle to harmonize everything. Well done!
Posted By: dcuny Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/10/19 05:40 PM
Nice work!

Not only was the foreground music engaging, but the bits of burbling in the background helped create an interesting texture.

Glad you could find time from the trauma of moving to put this together. smile
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/11/19 11:59 AM
Wow - this is the kind of jazz I really enjoy listening to smile I'm admittedly not too much of a traditionalist in that regard - this reminds me of something off On The Corner or B..'s Brew. Really great grooves, and the instrumentation is simultaneously dizzying and intoxicating. It makes for a unique and rewarding listen.

I wouldn't change a thing - thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/11/19 01:49 PM
The fiddle/harmonica passage is very cool! This is has interesting layers throughout.
Thoroughly enjoyed.

Robert
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/11/19 10:15 PM
DeaconBlues,

Very nice soundscape! Hint of Gypsy + harmonica was a nice touch. Jazzy, acidic & groovy!
Enjoyed it.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/12/19 02:56 AM
Well put-together piece. Sweet solo turns over that pad and rhythm. Really appreciated the long, slow fade. Really, really nice.
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/12/19 04:06 AM
Originally Posted By: Jim
Nicely done...-
Laid back, cool, & very melodic...
I can only imagine what you will come up with...
When you find time to work on your music smile!

Thank you so much, Jim!
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/12/19 04:10 AM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Nice work DeaconBlues09, what a marvelous song I might say! Fantastic selection of instruments here and rhythm is easy to follow. Thoroughly enjoyed the fiddle to harmonize everything. Well done!

Thanks Joe, one of my favorite things to do with BiaB is throw a variety of instruments from one would often associate with different genres at together track with some flavorful chord voicings, press "generate and play" and watch (hear) the magic happen grin
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/12/19 04:13 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Nice work!

Not only was the foreground music engaging, but the bits of burbling in the background helped create an interesting texture.

Glad you could find time from the trauma of moving to put this together. smile

Thanks Dcuny!

That "burbling" background took me at least an hour to nail exactly how I wanted it in Izotope Trash 2 (purchased in the recent sale that a forum member kindly posted about in "off-topic"), so I'm most pleased it was noted & appreciated :-)
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/12/19 04:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - this is the kind of jazz I really enjoy listening to smile I'm admittedly not too much of a traditionalist in that regard - this reminds me of something off On The Corner or B..'s Brew. Really great grooves, and the instrumentation is simultaneously dizzying and intoxicating. It makes for a unique and rewarding listen.

I wouldn't change a thing - thanks for sharing!

Thanks Deryk,

This type of acid/fusion-y sound was actually my "gateway drug" to jazz back when I was a young teen, and, to be perfectly honest, I'm still not a huge fan of much "traditional" jazz. The philistine in me still needs likes nice funky rhythm or at least a synthy/textured pulse/sweeping pad to keep me grooving.
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/12/19 04:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
The fiddle/harmonica passage is very cool! This is has interesting layers throughout.
Thoroughly enjoyed.

Robert

Thanks, Robert. Appreciate the feedback :-)
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/12/19 04:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
DeaconBlues,

Very nice soundscape! Hint of Gypsy + harmonica was a nice touch. Jazzy, acidic & groovy!
Enjoyed it.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Thanks Misha!
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/12/19 04:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Well put-together piece. Sweet solo turns over that pad and rhythm. Really appreciated the long, slow fade. Really, really nice.

Thanks Tangmo,

I'm a HUGE fan of slow fades! To me, they're kinda like the long bittersweet lingering taste in your mouth after an exceptional desert you splurge on at an expensive restaurant...
Posted By: David Snyder Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/12/19 01:55 PM

Hey Deacon,

This is epic man! I loved what you did with this, and all the use of tracks and the mixing. Excellent.

I also love that picture. Is that where you live? I have some friends in Tel Aviv and have always wanted to visit.

This pictures puts me in the mood to make an epic journey!!!

smile

Maybe I will find myself at last.
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/14/19 04:36 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Hey Deacon,

This is epic man! I loved what you did with this, and all the use of tracks and the mixing. Excellent.

I also love that picture. Is that where you live? I have some friends in Tel Aviv and have always wanted to visit.

This pictures puts me in the mood to make an epic journey!!!

smile

Maybe I will find myself at last.

Thank you so much David!

This is the view from my porch in Eilat (southernmost Israel, about 6 and 11 kilometers from Jordan and Egypt, respectively).

It's not Tel Aviv (it's about a 4 hour drive from Tel Aviv or 1/2 hour flight from Ben Gurion airport), but it's widely recognized to have the best coral reefs in the northern hemisphere...as well as many other breathtaking places to visit!

They just opened up a new airport about 20-25 minutes away that accommodate international airlines, so visiting from the US and other parts of the world is now much easier.

If you (or any of the other of the lovely folks here on the forums, for that matter) do ever end up visiting here, I would be absolutely thrilled to meet up and hang out. There's a bar here with a great open mic every Monday night!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/14/19 04:52 PM
COOOOL Track!! Nice groove that you never get tired of with a great collage of interesting solos overlaid. I think it works great!! Enjoyed much!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/15/19 05:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
COOOOL Track!! Nice groove that you never get tired of with a great collage of interesting solos overlaid. I think it works great!! Enjoyed much!! Take care. Greg

Thank you so much, Greg!

I'm glad you enjoyed :-)
Posted By: PeterF Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/16/19 02:15 AM
Really nicely put together - and always engaging.
Very enjoyable composition.

Peter
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/16/19 10:43 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Really nicely put together - and always engaging.
Very enjoyable composition.

Peter

Thank you kindly, Peter :-)
Posted By: Crossroads Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/18/19 01:02 PM
Wow, this one is something really special.

Not just interesting, but also a good and enjoyable listen, because, regardless of its complexity, it flows.

It's remarkable, how excellently you work with BIAB. Very good!

Cheers,

Stefan
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/22/19 05:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Wow, this one is something really special.

Not just interesting, but also a good and enjoyable listen, because, regardless of its complexity, it flows.

It's remarkable, how excellently you work with BIAB. Very good!

Cheers,

Stefan

Thank you so much Stefan!

As a guitar and bass player, until only a couple of years ago I used BiaB mostly as a practice tool. However, I've been inspired as of late by this community (and Kenny Gioa's Reaper videos) to explore the world of MIDI, VSTs, and music production.

This was a bit of a 'practice run' and I hope to start developing more complex ideas and full-fledged songs (with vocals and all) in the near future when my time frees up somewhat (and I muster up the courage to record my singing voice, lol...)

Glad you enjoyed laugh
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/22/19 08:41 PM
DB, it's oh so obvious that a lot care went into this wonderful production! Everything sounds "right" and "in place"!! Nothing sounds "off" like you hear so many times when people construct a loop based song! I enjoyed every second of this one! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/22/19 09:30 PM
Cool jazzy thing you did there.
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/23/19 05:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Cool jazzy thing you did there.

Thanks GH!
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: How I Missed You This 4th - 07/23/19 05:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
DB, it's oh so obvious that a lot care went into this wonderful production! Everything sounds "right" and "in place"!! Nothing sounds "off" like you hear so many times when people construct a loop based song! I enjoyed every second of this one! Thanks, Torrey

Thank you so much Torrey!

BTW, is that a Godin Multiac you're wielding in your profile pic?

I'm assuming that's what you used on One More Sunrise? That track was AMAZING!!!
© PG Music Forums