PG Music Home
Posted By: Birchwood It's so Confusing... - 07/12/19 05:41 PM
Hi everyone,

I thought it was summertime and more quiet on the music making front. Holidays...
But that was a mistake. The amount of new songs is breathtaking. And they are good!
Now I added my song as well, and hopefully also good: https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/confusing

It's called Confusing. A light song with some winks in the lyrics.
I wasn't sure if I had to sing it in C minor or E minor. I did both, but finally chose the latter.

The style is called Mumblin. The tempo is 95, key E minor.
I changed nearly all instruments, but the main one is the bariton guitar. I also have a fiddle in it and I used my keyboard for an extra rhythm section. And my wife sang along. (no, joke. It's me with some semitones). I hope you will enjoy it and don't mind my sense of humor.

Hans Berkhout

The lyrics:
Confusing
(c)HWBerkhout, july 070719

I had a romance, that ended one day
This kind of stories you hear everyday
But mine was painful, I got confused
I had love to offer, still hardly used

I told my story everywhere I go
Even a friend now don't wanna know
So wrote a book to expose you'd lied
But my expectations were outsized

Why can't I behave as normal as you?
Could you give me a clue?
And no shrink can't help me much
They all sounded Double Dutch

I started painting something undefined
What I hoped for was peace of mind
It did not work though, got more confused
And my love is still hardly used

Could you give me a clue?

Solo

Now I am lonely and very confused
What I can offer is still hardly used
I can try to discover
how to find me a new lover

Could you give me that clue?

I've decided to find me someone, looking just like you
Maybe it's confusing, but I am self assured
Have love to give and so much more
to go for, I'm pretty sure
Posted By: rayc Re: It's so Confusing... - 07/12/19 10:55 PM
Interesting narrative and a nice backing - double Dutch was a giggle.
For my ears your vocal is too loud and that emphasises the treatment used as well.
cool song.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: It's so Confusing... - 07/13/19 07:52 AM
Good writing on this one, Hans, I especially liked the chorus.

Nice vocal too!

Good song, enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: It's so Confusing... - 07/13/19 08:00 AM
Thanks Dave and Ray,

But Ray, I altered the volume of the vocals, but also sang them again. All to protect your precious ears! And, because you were right... a bit.
Dave, I hesitated some time about that chorus. At first it felt a bit childish, but then got used to it. And luckily you liked it ;-)

Hans
Posted By: Jim Re: It's so Confusing... - 07/13/19 02:16 PM
A nice one Hans...
There's so much creativity currently on the Showcase...
And I'm happy you added even more...
This place is really starting to Rock!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: It's so Confusing... - 07/13/19 08:38 PM
Hans,
A good rocker with an edge to the lyrics I enjoyed. You sing with conviction - the vocal effects suit the song.
Sounds like you had fun with this!

Robert
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: It's so Confusing... - 07/13/19 08:41 PM
Hello Hans. I can hear a Dylan and stones influence on this.
This is really a great write. Maybe rollback the vocal effects a touch.
Rob
Posted By: dcuny Re: It's so Confusing... - 07/14/19 12:27 AM
Hi, Hans.

I enjoyed the song - sung with conviction, and well mixed.

Reading the lyrics, I was wondering how you'd rhyme more with sure. Nice. laugh

All in all, a good listen.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: It's so Confusing... - 07/14/19 05:21 AM
Hello Jim, Robert, Rob and David,

Thanks for all your compliments!
This wasn't a song I usually make, but after some 'sorrowly' songs I had to do something slightly happier. A so-called inner drive.
And that I did with the conviction you mentioned. Although this time there was no real story to sing.
These kind of melodies allways handling about an ending of a relation, sorrow and how someone deals with that. Millions of songs cover that theme. I liked teasing a bit with that issue. Therefore there is that line about 'Double Dutch'. As being a Dutchmen myself. The term is meant as a bit of self-mockery.
But maybe that was not a very good idea. I don't think this song will draw much attention.

Then told my wife Rob also heard something of Dylan in this song, She fell in love again! Thanks Rob!
And when Jim wrote 'I'm happy you (I) added even more', she asked me out for a dinner... Thanks Jim!
Only to think that it was true wat Robert said: 'Sounds like you had fun with this'. Yes, indeed Robert. I
And David, phonetically more and sure go very well in a rhyme. At least, to me. Can you agree?

Thanks for listening,
Hans
Posted By: jannesan Re: It's so Confusing... - 07/14/19 04:45 PM
Very strong blues rock in minor key. Great band and your powerful vocals are perfect fit. Nice humorous edge in the lyrics.

Janne
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: It's so Confusing... - 07/14/19 05:17 PM
Cool tune Hans!! As I said before, I hear a lot of Lennon in your voice.....a great thing!! I love the Wurly and the lead guitar! Excellent vibe and mix.....vocals may be a bit crispy. Great stuff!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: It's so Confusing... - 07/15/19 11:41 AM
What a tune! I love the energy behind this one. It really packs a punch, and the vocals and the instrumentation both hit hard. It's definitely attention grabbing and really distinct in it's delivery. Loved the solos as well - I can't help but imagine this would sound unreal live.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: It's so Confusing... - 07/15/19 04:56 PM
Hey there Birchwood, I found this very easy to listen and rhythm is easy to follow. The vocals harmonize well with the other instruments. Great work!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: It's so Confusing... - 07/16/19 03:14 PM
You definitely have that 1997-2001 Dylan thing going here.

We are BIG fans of all three of his albums (particularly "Love and Theft") from that period so this was a real treat.

Fun all the way around...lyric, write and production!

J&B

PS That chorus really sticks with you.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: It's so Confusing... - 07/16/19 08:28 PM
I really like what you did with the arrangement of this one. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Birchwood Re: It's so Confusing... - 07/18/19 06:11 PM
Hi Janne, Greg, Deryk, Joe, Janice & Bud, and Ember,

Thanks for your reactions on Confusing.
It was fun making it, especially the lyrics. You were right about that, Janice and Bud and Janne.
And I did like making it this way. I also tried it in another lower minor key and hesitated which sounded better. This one gave the song more dynamics (or energy), so you're right about that Deryk and Joe.

But I realised these kind of songs are very transient. Therefore not so not much listeners.
The advantage these songs have, they are easy to listen to, as Joe stated. But of course the arrangement was very, very complicated (...). I'm glad Ember pointed at that. Where you on holidays, Ember? Misted you.

And Greg, at home I told them I'm compared with Lennon several times now. That's why I told them I want more respect now (didn't tell them only you compared me twice with Lennon). But no succes with my action, Greg. So please continue comparing me with important musicians!
Within some days a melancholic song will be posted by me. Maybe I'm Leonard Cohen then?

So, thanks again for listening and commenting the song,

Hans
Posted By: Scott C Re: It's so Confusing... - 07/20/19 12:22 PM
Really love this backtrack and vocal. Guitar was excellent as well. Super listen well done..
Posted By: Crossroads Re: It's so Confusing... - 07/24/19 12:43 PM
Hi Hans,

you're really coming up with amazing stuff. The song is a truely great rocker, and the way you sing it, makes it something very special. And I do like special stuff !!!! Nice lyrics, too !

Enjoyed the listen a lot.

Cheers,

Stefan
Posted By: dcuny Re: It's so Confusing... - 07/24/19 02:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood

And David, phonetically more and sure go very well in a rhyme. At least, to me. Can you agree?

100%! It was actually meant as a compliment. grin
Posted By: Birchwood Re: It's so Confusing... - 07/26/19 05:26 AM
Hi Scott, Stefan and David,

Scott, I'm not used to get a compliment without a -tiny- 'but...'. Now I'm glad.
And Stefan, is your comment made to make me blush? It was close, but in any case I'm happy as well.
David, I hadn't notice, so now I'm proud too!

Thanks for your very kind compliments,
Hans
© PG Music Forums