PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD The Sad Fairie - 07/25/19 09:22 PM
The Sad Fairie

You are a Fairie that was born with small wings and no "Tinkerbell" abilities.
You are very sad.

BiaB style - Oceans - Very Slow New Age

The drums were deleted.

Presonus Pro EQ and Breverb, preset classic hall, warm orchestra was used on all of the following tracks:

Piano - Kontakt - Ethereal Harp
Guitar - Kontakt - Pure Jazz Vibes
Strings - AAS String Studio VS-3 preset Dreamy State
Bass - Sonivox - Contra Basses
Me - Keyboard controller - Kontakt - Amadeus - preset Full Choir
Me - wind controller - Kontakt - Fairytale flute, additional effect - Waves Vocal Rider

Master effects - Presonus Pro EQ and Multiband Dynamics

Let me know what you think.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/25/19 09:27 PM
Hello Mario. This Ferry well done. This very melodic and a touch haunting.
Rob4580
Posted By: rayc Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/25/19 10:45 PM
A song about a disabled fairy? Interesting.
It's a very melancholy melody and the arrangement reinforces that.
I'd have thought the fairy'd be angry, upset and kicking but sad resignation may be post anger.
Nice work on the controllers.
Posted By: dcuny Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/26/19 01:25 AM
So I'm not the only one who ponied up for the Amadeus library. There's some nice stuff in that library!

The mix seemed a bit loud, although the balance was good. Perhaps a bit overly compressed?

Or not.

I enjoyed the listen, even though I'm sad. laugh
Posted By: Birchwood Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/26/19 08:17 AM
Hi Mario,

It's a sad melody, but with some tension in it on certain points. That gives that 'haunting' feeling Rob mentioned. I agree on that.
But the sentences: 'You are a Fairie that was born with small wings and no "Tinkerbell" abilities. You are very sad' are so nice. They triggered my fantasy during your song (and afterwards), so that is nicely done. Only that woodwinds/flute-sound was a bit to loud compared with the other instruments. To me it worked a bit distracting to the melody.
But having said that, to me this is a very nice fairytale,

Hans
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/26/19 11:24 AM
With a song title like that I didn't think I'd say this - but the tune actually suits the name of the song. It has a really magical, and almost surreal beauty to it. I can definitely hear it fitting perfectly in the soundtrack of a fantasy movie. It has a cinematic feel to it, and as Birchwood said before me - it definitely has some tension to it despite the sadness in it's tone.

I really enjoyed this one - thanks so much for sharing smile
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/26/19 12:22 PM
Very emotional song Mario. Well done. Such a lot of feeling in this song.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/26/19 12:32 PM
Mario,
Interesting progression that moves this beyond the NewAge style. I enjoy your wind controller work and its the highlight on this... tend to agree with others; it might be mixed a tad high.
Funny intro and title!

Robert
Posted By: Jim Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/26/19 12:45 PM
Very nicely composed & executed...
It could be an excellent candidate as a backing track for a video (hint hint)...
At least as it played I could see images in my mind...
As always...
Another good job well done Mario!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/26/19 12:53 PM
Magical, mesmerizing, emotional, cinematic and so well produced.

The flute is great and it was interesting to note that you used the vocal rider on it.

Ultimately, as is your signature, it is nicely melodic!

J&B

PS Ray's comment about the disabled fairy.... smile smile
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/26/19 01:04 PM
hi Mario well done great movie track for sure eric
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/26/19 03:17 PM
Mario,

This is beautiful track. Well done in all respects.

The mix is well balanced.

Interesting that some are finding it "loud". I played it at 100% of the Soundcloud volume controller - and it seemed fine - after having to turn Hans' ballad down to 30%... Oh well..

I really enjoyed this...

fj
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/26/19 05:14 PM
Mario,
Beautiful relaxing tune. Mixed very well.
.... and that controller of yours sounds very impressive! Good work on this!

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: edshaw Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/27/19 01:32 AM
Ear candy, Mario.
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/27/19 02:16 AM
Mario

A lovely composition with some very nice sounding parts.
Pretty (sad) and enchanting.

Peter
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/27/19 01:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Hello Mario. This Ferry well done. This very melodic and a touch haunting.
Rob4580

Rob I'm Ferry happy that you liked it!
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/27/19 01:39 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
A song about a disabled fairy? Interesting.
It's a very melancholy melody and the arrangement reinforces that.
I'd have thought the fairy'd be angry, upset and kicking but sad resignation may be post anger.
Nice work on the controllers.

Thanx Ray. The Fairy went to anger management prior to this song.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/27/19 01:41 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
So I'm not the only one who ponied up for the Amadeus library. There's some nice stuff in that library!

The mix seemed a bit loud, although the balance was good. Perhaps a bit overly compressed?

Or not.

I enjoyed the listen, even though I'm sad. laugh

Thanx Dave. Yea that Amadeus library is a good one. Funny in that it doesn't sound loud here. I only added a touch of compression on the master track. I have to look into this.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/27/19 01:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Mario,

It's a sad melody, but with some tension in it on certain points. That gives that 'haunting' feeling Rob mentioned. I agree on that.
But the sentences: 'You are a Fairie that was born with small wings and no "Tinkerbell" abilities. You are very sad' are so nice. They triggered my fantasy during your song (and afterwards), so that is nicely done. Only that woodwinds/flute-sound was a bit to loud compared with the other instruments. To me it worked a bit distracting to the melody.
But having said that, to me this is a very nice fairytale,

Hans

Thanx Hans. I'll have to look at that flute volume. I sounded OK here but I'll check it out. Thanx for pointing that out.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/27/19 01:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
With a song title like that I didn't think I'd say this - but the tune actually suits the name of the song. It has a really magical, and almost surreal beauty to it. I can definitely hear it fitting perfectly in the soundtrack of a fantasy movie. It has a cinematic feel to it, and as Birchwood said before me - it definitely has some tension to it despite the sadness in it's tone.

I really enjoyed this one - thanks so much for sharing smile

Thanx Deryk. I think that the MIDI side of Biab get looked down on by some members but I find it more exciting than the RT side. Different stroked for different folks.

But on occasion I do use RTs.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/27/19 01:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very emotional song Mario. Well done. Such a lot of feeling in this song.

Thanx so much Scott.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/27/19 01:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Mario,
Interesting progression that moves this beyond the NewAge style. I enjoy your wind controller work and its the highlight on this... tend to agree with others; it might be mixed a tad high.
Funny intro and title!

Robert

Thanx Robert. I do like to use some jazz chords in NewAge music. IMHO it makes it a bit more interesting.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/27/19 01:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim
It could be an excellent candidate as a backing track for a video (hint hint)...
As always...

Thanx so much Jim. I wish that I could do either video or animation, but I can even trace my hand correctly!
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/27/19 01:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Magical, mesmerizing, emotional, cinematic and so well produced.

The flute is great and it was interesting to note that you used the vocal rider on it.

Ultimately, as is your signature, it is nicely melodic!

J&B

PS Ray's comment about the disabled fairy.... smile smile

Thanx J&B. I have found that the vocal rider can be very effective on a number of tracks such as bass, woodwinds or brass.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/27/19 01:52 PM
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi Mario well done great movie track for sure eric

Thanx so much for listening and commenting.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/27/19 01:53 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Mario,

This is beautiful track. Well done in all respects.

The mix is well balanced.

Interesting that some are finding it "loud". I played it at 100% of the Soundcloud volume controller - and it seemed fine - after having to turn Hans' ballad down to 30%... Oh well..

I really enjoyed this...

fj

Thanx Floyd, especially about the volume part. It sounds OK here also.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/27/19 01:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Mario,
Beautiful relaxing tune. Mixed very well.
.... and that controller of yours sounds very impressive! Good work on this!

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Thanx so much Misha.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/27/19 01:55 PM
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Ear candy, Mario.

Thanx Ed.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/27/19 01:56 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Mario

A lovely composition with some very nice sounding parts.
Pretty (sad) and enchanting.

Peter

Thanx Peter for listening and commenting.
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/28/19 03:54 AM
Beautiful, mesmerizing, cinematic, melancholic. You are really a master of MIDI orchestration with ability to create beautiful melodies and harmonies.

Janne
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/29/19 01:08 AM
Beautiful emotionally evocative tune!! This SHOULD be in a film!! I feel like I want to become a film maker just so I can use your songs in the score. I LOVE THIS!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/29/19 02:27 AM
This is absolutely beautiful! All the instruments perfectly utilized and expressed.

Well done, Mario!
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/31/19 01:58 AM
I absolutely loved this and wish there was more stuff like it on the Showcase.
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/31/19 01:21 PM
Hey there Mario, this was wonderful! Fantastic selection of instruments here and very soothing to hear. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Jim Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/31/19 01:48 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
As always...

Thanx so much Jim. I wish that I could do either video or animation, but I can even trace my hand correctly!

Now that is funny!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: The Sad Fairie - 07/31/19 03:33 PM
Very nice.... I can hear the cinematic aspect to this as well.

The fade kinda left me setting here naval gazing.... as it is supposed to be.... It took me there.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 08/03/19 07:43 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Beautiful, mesmerizing, cinematic, melancholic. You are really a master of MIDI orchestration with ability to create beautiful melodies and harmonies.

Janne

Thanx so much Janne. I'm not a MIDI master. I'm still learning.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 08/03/19 07:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Beautiful emotionally evocative tune!! This SHOULD be in a film!! I feel like I want to become a film maker just so I can use your songs in the score. I LOVE THIS!!! Take care. Greg

Thanx Greg. Please do become a film maker, I'll give you my songs for your films.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 08/03/19 07:45 PM
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09
This is absolutely beautiful! All the instruments perfectly utilized and expressed.

Well done, Mario!

Thanx so much for listening and the very nice comments.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 08/03/19 07:46 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I absolutely loved this and wish there was more stuff like it on the Showcase.

Thanx! It isn't that hard to come up with these.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 08/03/19 07:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hey there Mario, this was wonderful! Fantastic selection of instruments here and very soothing to hear. Thanks for sharing!

Thanx so much Joe. With BiaB it is easy to come up with songs like this. All it takes is a good sound source and BiaB MIDI.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 08/03/19 07:49 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
As always...

Now that is funny!

Unfortunately its true cry
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 08/03/19 07:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Very nice.... I can hear the cinematic aspect to this as well.

The fade kinda left me setting here naval gazing.... as it is supposed to be.... It took me there.

Thanx, I think wink
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: The Sad Fairie - 08/03/19 09:31 PM
Mario, what a visual that title gives this! The wonderful soundscape you have created is a good match for the title! Beautiful surprising changes throughout! The song just carries the listener to another place! Very creative and mood setting! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 08/05/19 07:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Mario, what a visual that title gives this! The wonderful soundscape you have created is a good match for the title! Beautiful surprising changes throughout! The song just carries the listener to another place! Very creative and mood setting! Thanks, Torrey

Torrey, thanx so much for that wonderful review.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: The Sad Fairie - 08/06/19 10:48 AM
Hey Mario,

This song is really cool man! Excellent.

I want to apologize for being so absent from the forum. Also, I will be candid that this part of the post is kind of a generic “form letter” to my old and new forum friends.

In brief, work is very hectic right now and I am having a hard time keeping up with the forum and even writing new songs. There is also a lot of new material hitting the boards—more than I can listen to and reply. People are on a roll!

Instead of backing away from the forum I want to stay involved by just giving the equivalent of a “like” as opposed to full-fledged commentary.

This way, I can just keep listening, and enjoying and reply with a simple LOVE IT or something like that.

I do listen, love your stuff and really want to continue following those who are so dedicated to encouraging others, even if it is only with one word.

Hope this makes sense, thanks for your artistry and forgive my brevity going forward with massive time constraints.

Also forgive me if you see this message more than once until I know I have covered all my bases.

Peace!!

smile
Posted By: Tangmo Re: The Sad Fairie - 08/06/19 03:08 PM
I don't really appreciate you telling the world about my small wings and lack of tinkerbellishness. And you're assumption that I must be "sad" because of it is off-putting, even if occasionally accurate. I feel what I feel, with or without permission.

I feel this is a thoroughly engaging listen. The instrumentation, progression, and mix were mood-inspiring and kept me with it to the end. Really nice.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: The Sad Fairie - 08/06/19 03:14 PM
Man, this is beautiful AND haunting. It seems to dance between something I would think is happy but also has elements of melancholy. I think that's truly brilliant! There are sooooo many uses for something like this.

Wonderfully done Mario!

Wait...is there going to be an 8-bit version of this? wink
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 08/06/19 09:20 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Hey Mario,

This song is really cool man! Excellent.

I want to apologize for being so absent from the forum. Also, I will be candid that this part of the post is kind of a generic “form letter” to my old and new forum friends.

In brief, work is very hectic right now and I am having a hard time keeping up with the forum and even writing new songs. There is also a lot of new material hitting the boards—more than I can listen to and reply. People are on a roll!

Instead of backing away from the forum I want to stay involved by just giving the equivalent of a “like” as opposed to full-fledged commentary.

This way, I can just keep listening, and enjoying and reply with a simple LOVE IT or something like that.

I do listen, love your stuff and really want to continue following those who are so dedicated to encouraging others, even if it is only with one word.

Hope this makes sense, thanks for your artistry and forgive my brevity going forward with massive time constraints.

Also forgive me if you see this message more than once until I know I have covered all my bases.

Peace!!

smile

Thanx so much David for listening and commenting.

Also no need to apologize. We have been busy with family in from the west coast this past month so I also didn't have a lot of time to listen.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 08/06/19 09:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
I don't really appreciate you telling the world about my small wings and lack of tinkerbellishness. And you're assumption that I must be "sad" because of it is off-putting, even if occasionally accurate. I feel what I feel, with or without permission.

I feel this is a thoroughly engaging listen. The instrumentation, progression, and mix were mood-inspiring and kept me with it to the end. Really nice.

grin grin grin

Thanx so much for listening and commenting.

FYI - I got all of your personal information off social media! Ducking and running for cover. whistle
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Sad Fairie - 08/06/19 09:28 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Man, this is beautiful AND haunting. It seems to dance between something I would think is happy but also has elements of melancholy. I think that's truly brilliant! There are sooooo many uses for something like this.

Wonderfully done Mario!

Wait...is there going to be an 8-bit version of this? wink

Thanx so much HearToLearn!

If you can hold on for a couple of days I have a version of this coming out on Beta and 8 Track!
© PG Music Forums