PG Music Home
Posted By: Rustyspoon# What's The Score? Blues colab. with Ray. - 07/26/19 11:38 PM
Hi Folks.
Here is a new tune, another collaboration with Ray (rayc on forum). I had the bed for the tune and Ray graciously agreed to help me to write lyrics based on phrasing. It was a fun, laid back project that came relatively painless. Constructive suggestions / critique are always welcomed. Thank you for listening! Misha.

What's The Score?

Lyrics:

Tell me something if you can,
Was it worth it kicking the can?
Memory trove that you kept well preserved.
Stockpiling love, building ladders to stars?
Now swollen tongue don't obey,
Feet in clay, Itchy old scars.

Was it just another mistake?
Like scratched records or stretched cassette tape.
I can see that it’s time we should talk.
Come out from the mirror and let’s take a walk.
I can’t tell any more,
What’s the score?

Tell me something if you can,
Did it work ignoring the plan?
Rejected the future like it wasn’t deserved.
Disposable truth, that got you this far.
Swollen memory doesn't obey,
Do I stay? Life in a jar.

Was it just another outtake?
Like Polaroids of another mistake?
I can see reflections and your outline in chalk.
I reach for you but at the last moment balk.
I can’t tell you any more,
What’s the score?

Tell me something, if you can…
Are you numb, rejecting pain?
Victory sword that you polished to gloss,
Playing with fate as a dabbler with chess.
Stolen fruit forgot to decay,
Rainbow turned grey,
Roaring primal chaos.

Was it just another retake?
Like digital photos or second wedding cake?
I can’t see but I feel this has gone wrong.
Come out come out you know I can’t wait for long.
I can’t tell any more,
What’s the score?

Tech things:
Lyrics: Ray C. / Misha.
Arrangement/ mix: Misha.
Recorded in Cakewalk.
BIAB:
2576:Bass, Electric, SurfRockSyncVintage Ev 165
1438:Piano, Electric, Soloist JazzFunkGroovin Ev16 110
1303:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm CelticJig Sw 110 (Drones only)
3096:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm AmericanaTremoloWaltzColin Sw 120
2669:Pedal Steel, Background CountryRockBoogie Sw 110
1316:Medley [Part Marker] Sax, Flute, Trombone, Guit, Trumpet, Vibes,
RealDrums [in style:BluesRockShuffle^1-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Open HiHat
Posted By: rayc Re: What's The Score? Blues colab. with Ray. - 07/27/19 01:29 AM
That was fun Rustyspoon!
What a cracker 1st verse to get things rolling.
Musically this goes from yiddish jazz to mid tempo rock.
The Rhodes Electric Piano is great and reminded me, in spots, of The Doors.
The reprise is wonderful too.
Posted By: PeterF Re: What's The Score? Blues colab. with Ray. - 07/27/19 02:28 AM
Misha / Ray

Loved the intro. A really interesting musical journey where all the pieces gel very well.
Excellent vocal and the choice of instruments was inspired.
Enjoyed it all.

Peter
Nice intro!

One of your best vocals I think, Misha, and very original (and good) lyrics from you and Ray.

Good arrangement and mix also.

Not a thing I would change, sounds great to me.

Very cool ending too BTW!

Well done, enjoyed the listen.
Misha & Ray,
Lyrics that make the head spin, some scintillating vocal phrasing that captures the mysterious vibe and an adventurous arrangement... this is way cool!
Great ending too.. I`d say the score is another big win for you.

Robert
Posted By: MarioD Re: What's The Score? Blues colab. with Ray. - 07/27/19 01:21 PM
This was excellent. As everyone has said that intro was great. Plus I loved that Door's Rhode solo! The vocals were spot on as was the mix. The lyrics took it over the top for me!

Great work.
Posted By: Jim Re: What's The Score? Blues colab. with Ray. - 07/27/19 02:00 PM
Ray & Misha...
You guys are becoming a Dynamic Duo...
I liked the jazz feel to the piece...
Coupled with the head-spinning lyrical images...
All I can say is...
Great job!

Ps...
Ray the images of this song is worthy of one of your videos (hint hint)
Misha/Ray...

I'll piggyback on Dave's comments here - he said everything I thought:

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice intro!

One of your best vocals I think, Misha, and very original (and good) lyrics from you and Ray.

Good arrangement and mix also.

Not a thing I would change, sounds great to me.

Very cool ending too BTW!

Well done, enjoyed the listen.

Awesome vocal - filled with passion and drama.

Such an interesting lyric - also, filled with passion and drama!!

Super arrangement. Cool outro! (Dave said that, too! smile )

A treat for the ears.

fj
Posted By: dcuny Re: What's The Score? Blues colab. with Ray. - 07/27/19 07:27 PM
Misha, you're always fun to listen to - you're great at putting emotion into you singing.

What they said: Interesting arrangement, great mix, well sung. laugh
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: What's The Score? Blues colab. with Ray. - 07/27/19 08:29 PM
Enthralling and very unique.
Gongrats to both of you. Rob4580
Strong melody and chorus. Lushious arrangement, I like that acoustic guitar giving the basic rhythm and the moody steel guitar. Enjoyable airy mix. Lyrical landscape is like watching a David Lynch movie, but luckily you manage to say everything in under 4 minutes smile

Janne
Peter, Dave, Robert, Mario, Jim, FJ, David, Bob, Janne,

Thank you for listening! I appreciate your comments very much!

Misha.
Posted By: edshaw Re: What's The Score? Blues colab. with Ray. - 07/28/19 11:17 PM
Great!
Posted By: Tangmo Re: What's The Score? Blues colab. with Ray. - 07/30/19 01:59 AM
Firstly, the mix sounds great on my head-phones. Clarity, spread, balance between the band members and the vocals.

Secondly, this is probably my favorite of your lyrical collaborations with Ray. It earns that "distinction" possibly because the unending imagery of the words is more easily absorbed even with the rapid-fire delivery. In this way it reminds me of some of the great works of the glory days of movie musicals and Broadway. But I think it is more likely that the "phrasing" you intended to write to is so pleasing. It is definitely an example of the more "unbalanced" end of the prosody spectrum and it just plain works.

Thirdly, the arrangement and musicality of the piece is perfectly emotional.

I really, really like this one. Thanks.
Superb!

The vocals add a special sheen to the already somewhat mysterious lyric.

It sounds ready made for the right film.

"Playing with fate as a dabbler with chess" We like that along with MANY other lines.

All of the above plus a pro arrangement and mix make for a most enjoyable listen(s)

Kudos y'all!!

J&B
Great job singing to make some complicated lyrics flow well. Enjoyed it.
Hi Misha and Ray,

the collab of you both really works... And it shows how effective it can be when peoople with an apparently different musical background throw their experiences together.

A very nice tune, as usuak well-sung, Misha, and greatly produced. Loved the PSG in the background. A very enjoyable listen.

Cheers,

Stefan
Really well done! Love the instrumentation on this one. It has a really spacey vibe to it, and the instrumentation is unique and flows gorgeously. Your vocals and the lyrics behind them are top notch too. Makes for a very enticing listen.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Scott C Re: What's The Score? Blues colab. with Ray. - 08/02/19 10:28 AM
Such a cool intro. Excellent vocal and lyric. Such a cool backtrack and mix. Well done.
Ed,
Thank you for listening!
--------
Tangmo,
Thank you very much for listening and your kind comments!
Funny thing, this was done fairly fast and even I am overall satisfied with the mix smile
---------
J&B,
Thank you for taking time and listening to this and you excellent feedback here and on SC!
--------
Stefan,
Thank you for words of support! I agree with you 100%, without Ray, it would never be what it is.
--------
Deryk,
Cool, I am glad you liked it! Thank you for listening!
--------
Scott,
Thank you for listening and your support!

Misha.
That is some awesome work Misha and Ray! I feel this is one of the best sounding tunes you have ever presented here! The music bed in this is a work of art! Beautiful sounds happening all over the place! I enjoyed this one to the max! Your vocal is great! Thanks, Torrey
Wonderful song!! The arrangement and vocal delivery are very theatrical! The vocal is just DAMN GOOD!! I like the mysterious, dramatic elements in the music. Mix/production are excellent! You guys really do some great stuff together! Enjoyed this A BUNCH!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: rayc Re: What's The Score? Blues colab. with Ray. - 08/05/19 08:50 AM
Thank you all for the very kind words regarding my small part in this song but Misha is due all kudos on this one: he sent me the 1st verse, asked for a chorus he could try and offered that if it was something that worked we'd develop it organically.
He sent me a sketch of the verse & chorus with music and we progressed from there.
The maestro had the music finished in no time and another verse as well. I had to scurry to get more sections written because I'm lazy. Misha ran his eyes over the parts as I dribbled them in. He suggested excellent thematic/mouth feel/stylistic tweaks and then BAM, he sent me the finished work.
I really enjoy the challenge of collaboration and, with Misha in particular, synching into a work flow that puts emphasis on freshness and spontaneity.
I'm a luck chap to have had the opportunity to have collaborated with Misha, Christian and Torrey.
Torrey,
It is a honor to get such comments form you! Thank you for listening!
----------
Greg,
Thank you for listening and awesome feedback!
----------
Ray,
It is always fun and challenging (in a good way) doing these musical experiments with you.
It would not be the same without your creative input.

Misha.
Posted By: Jim Re: What's The Score? Blues colab. with Ray. - 08/16/19 05:45 PM
I just had to come back & give you & Ray's collaboration another listen...
I'm glad I did...
Again nicely done guys
A lot to like here, one of your better vocals, the electric guitar, the horns and a nice ending.
Jim,
Thank you for taking another shot at this and your support!
-----

TuneMonger,
Thank you for listening and your kind comments!

Misha.
© PG Music Forums