Outro vamp:
Let the old ways

The Band:

RealDrums: PopModernGrooveSync16^1-a:Snare on 4, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
1827:Bass, Electric, PopModernGrooveA-B Ev16 075
1839:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopModernGrooveA-B Ev16 075
1831:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopModernGrooveBrightA-B Ev16 075
878:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm NorthernRockGrittyA-B Sw16 075
1525:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopPowerPushDirty Ev 120 (see notes)

I'm playing the guitar lead and Chris is playing all of the piano parts except during the guitar solo. I changed my mind about what chords I wanted to play the solo over after Chris had already sent me her piano track, so instead of making her redo that part I just used a realtrack piano.

Production Notes:
For realtrack 1525, which mostly plays during the outro, I selected the held chords option and also the DI option, and then processed through the Waves PRS amp sim plugin.

Mixed in reaper using native plugins (side chain compressor) and plugins from Waves and iZotope, mastered with Ozone8 and LMC.

I found this one difficult to mix, mostly because of conflicts between the piano and the rhythm guitars clogging up the midrange, plus the distorted guitars were adding lots of harsh high end frequencies. I couldn't hear it but Chris could, she has much better range in her hearing than I do.

So any comments about the mix, or any other aspects of the song are appreciated!

Also up on soundcloud: Better Days

Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Better Days - 07/30/19 12:36 PM
Hey there Dave, thank you for sharing this! The arrangement is wonderful to the ears and the vibe is very appealing. Quite enjoyed those guitar licks too. Thanks for sharing
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Better Days - 07/30/19 01:10 PM
Hey Joe,

Hmmm, you left a comment on Jannesan’s song, on Chris37’s song and my song all at 11:36.

Did you actually listen to any of them??
Posted By: Jim Re: Better Days - 07/30/19 01:32 PM
"There’s no way -to teach hard luck bones to fly"...
What a line...
Every once in a while I will spot one of these...
And think let's file that away for a future song...
Thanks...
As always I really enjoyed to your & Chris' collaboration...
Both of you compliment each so very well...
But I can't help but wonder what your song would sound like with Chris' piano part.

Quote:
Hey Joe,
Hmmm, you left a comment on Jannesan’s song, on Chris37’s song and my song all at 11:36.

I've notice the same thing but have never mentioned it...
He also commented on tschiewe song 1 minute earlier...
Perhaps he listened to all of them & then made comments...
You think smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Better Days - 07/30/19 03:19 PM
Dave & Chris...

Man! Y'all do this stuff (Bluesy Rock?) SO well!

A solid, interesting write. An excellent vocal. The chorus vocals are especially nice...

The mix sounds really good to me. Balanced, full, quite "easy on the ears", in fact.

Dave, your guitar is SINGING! on this!! Loved it!

Another solid performance from you both. Awesome.

fj

(The way the forum is going these days, we should be thankful to be getting any comments at all. An awful lot of people only concerned with their own stuff...funny how they think we should be listening to their stuff, though...)
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Better Days - 07/30/19 06:25 PM
A slight nudge from blues rock to rock blues -- a bit anthemic in nature we think.

And extremely well done.

Chris really has the power vocal thing going AND with great dynamics. A somewhat rare combo nowadays.

And as always you are so good at complementing the vocal with your playing. The fills and solos and the vocals are interlaced so nicely.

Your work with the difficulties of the mix you described paid off big time -- the band lays out an excellent soundstage on our monitors.

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: Better Days - 07/30/19 06:50 PM
Dave / Chris
First the mix sounds very good to me.

Loved the vocal Chris sounds great nice complimentary piano - and man the guitar is superb, great tone and some wonderful note choices.

A really top notch and interesting blues rock write with an great solo(always love that)and a wonderful ending.

Peter
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Better Days - 07/30/19 07:40 PM
Dave & Chris,
I am a big fan of your music and this was a pleasant surprise. I feel this is excellent addition to your portfolio. I like the dramatic piano on the start. Chris vocals shine. Dave, excellent playing! Mix is A+
But most importantly, I see shifts and experiments in your music and my belief, it is #1 rule musicians should stick to, is to find new ways & different approaches. That what makes it fun or interesting to listen. Keep up great work!

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Better Days - 07/30/19 09:37 PM
I really enjoyed your lyrics - I think it's a feeling mos can relate to. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Better Days - 07/30/19 10:02 PM
Hi Dave. This is really well done.
Congrats to all involved. Rob4580
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Better Days - 07/31/19 12:56 AM
Really enjoyed it, a big tune with great lyrics which you don't often see in blues based stuff. Liked the guitar at the end esp. but throughout as well.
Posted By: rayc Re: Better Days - 07/31/19 03:39 AM
COOOOL. This has a bit of Maggie Bell in it - she did a great line in blues informed rock (Suicide Sal - great album).
the backing vocals are a real treat.
Loved it all.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Better Days - 07/31/19 07:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Jim
"There’s no way -to teach hard luck bones to fly"...
What a line...
Every once in a while I will spot one of these...
And think let's file that away for a future song...
Thanks...
As always I really enjoyed to your & Chris' collaboration...
Both of you compliment each so very well...
But I can't help but wonder what your song would sound like with Chris' piano part.

Thanks very much, Jim! Well, most of the piano is Chris. It's only during the guitar solo that I used the realtrack piano.

Originally Posted By: Jim

Quote:
Hey Joe,

I've notice the same thing but have never mentioned it...
He also commented on tschiewe song 1 minute earlier...
Perhaps he listened to all of them & then made comments...
You think smile

Well, if I was a betting man .... wink
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Better Days - 07/31/19 01:41 PM
Dave & Chris,
You deliver again... with a non-preachy poetic relevance to the lyrics that adds to my enjoyment of another fine blues rock opus ( can`t think of a better word for how your guitar soars).
At first I thought the vocals sounded a bit far back, but ... this needs to be played loud, then it gels.
Love the chorus harmonies especially at the close behind your lead.
Fine work!

Robert
Posted By: PeterF Re: Better Days - 07/31/19 10:33 PM
This should be back at the top.
whistle
Peter
Posted By: dcuny Re: Better Days - 08/01/19 12:35 AM
I've been gently corrected by floyd jane enough times not to comment on the mix. whistle

I will say that everything "works" for me - nothing sticks out, too hot, or out of place. I didn't notice the replacement of the piano tracks.

I enjoyed the listen - a moody track, the lyrics a good contrast with the upbeat title. smile
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Better Days - 08/01/19 01:57 AM
Powerful piece. The guitar intro works great leading into that classy vocal. Nice build throughout until the end, where it turns reflective. Wonderful leads that really "lead". Has that classic feel. Very much enjoyed.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Better Days - 08/01/19 08:36 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Dave & Chris...

Man! Y'all do this stuff (Bluesy Rock?) SO well!

A solid, interesting write. An excellent vocal. The chorus vocals are especially nice...

The mix sounds really good to me. Balanced, full, quite "easy on the ears", in fact.

Dave, your guitar is SINGING! on this!! Loved it!

Another solid performance from you both. Awesome.

fj

Floyd,

Yes, I would call this blues/rock music.

Thanks for the positive comments , means a lot to get that kind of feedback! smile

Originally Posted By: floyd jane

(The way the forum is going these days, we should be thankful to be getting any comments at all. An awful lot of people only concerned with their own stuff...funny how they think we should be listening to their stuff, though...)

Yes, I've noticed that too. Lots of people posting songs but never giving feedback on other peoples music, which is what this forum used to be great for.
My policy is simple, support me and I'll return the favor wink
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Better Days - 08/01/19 10:00 AM
Hi Blue Attitude, hi Chris,

this is a really good one, and really well-performed. The melody with its large interval is anything but easy to be sung,(esp. the last two lines in front of the chorus), but , Chris, you did an awesome vocal job! And

The chorus is very, very nice - the harmony singing us excellent.

Ah yes: good lyrics, too.

Daave: I really liked your guitar parts, very nicely written (or improvised) and played - love the tone of the guitar. To me, a guitar doesn't have to sound in a way everybody says, 'Ah, never heard something like that before', to me it must fit the song. And this tone fits the song perfectly, it's authentic.

The production sounds very appealing to my old ears - so to sum it up: Great song, enjoyed the listen very much.

Cheers,

Stefan
Posted By: jannesan Re: Better Days - 08/01/19 12:57 PM
Simply amazing. This song and especially with Chris's voice reminds me of a band Skunk Anansie. Her singing has so much dynamics, maybe her best interpretation so far I have heard. Admirable and enviable collaboration - that voice and that singing blues solo guitar playing and talking together. Interesting chording with some nice surprises. Better days are already here.

Janne
Posted By: cliftond Re: Better Days - 08/01/19 01:02 PM
Great guitar work on this, vocals are top notch, lyrics work well here!!! Cliff
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Better Days - 08/02/19 07:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
A slight nudge from blues rock to rock blues -- a bit anthemic in nature we think.

And extremely well done.

Chris really has the power vocal thing going AND with great dynamics. A somewhat rare combo nowadays.

And as always you are so good at complementing the vocal with your playing. The fills and solos and the vocals are interlaced so nicely.

Your work with the difficulties of the mix you described paid off big time -- the band lays out an excellent soundstage on our monitors.

J&B

Yes, it started out as being more blues but ended up being more rock by the time we were done. And for the fills, that's my favorite part, trying to compliment the vocal. More so than playing solos actually.

Thanks Janice and Bud! smile

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Dave / Chris
First the mix sounds very good to me.

Loved the vocal Chris sounds great nice complimentary piano - and man the guitar is superb, great tone and some wonderful note choices.

A really top notch and interesting blues rock write with an great solo(always love that)and a wonderful ending.

Peter

Always great to get comments like that from a player of your caliber!

Thanks, Peter!

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Dave & Chris,
I am a big fan of your music and this was a pleasant surprise. I feel this is excellent addition to your portfolio. I like the dramatic piano on the start. Chris vocals shine. Dave, excellent playing! Mix is A+
But most importantly, I see shifts and experiments in your music and my belief, it is #1 rule musicians should stick to, is to find new ways & different approaches. That what makes it fun or interesting to listen. Keep up great work!

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Hi Misha,

Well, it is always about the song for me, not so much trying to push the envelope. Although when that happens it's great! But, next one could end up being a three chord blues song, I'm pretty sure I have a few of those left in me wink

Thanks for the listen and comments, I appreciate it!

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
I really enjoyed your lyrics - I think it's a feeling mos can relate to. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Ember!
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Better Days - 08/02/19 10:44 AM
Really well done! I love the progressions on this, and the guitar work is stunning. And wow, what chorus is incredible! It is so powerful, and perfectly catchy - and the mix job sounds perfect. Seriously sound ready for the radio.

I could go on - but you should be really proud of this one. Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Better Days - 08/02/19 01:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Hi Dave. This is really well done.
Congrats to all involved. Rob4580

I appreciate that, Rob. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Really enjoyed it, a big tune with great lyrics which you don't often see in blues based stuff. Liked the guitar at the end esp. but throughout as well.

That was my favorite guitar part to play also, always fun to swap licks with a vocal line. Happy you liked it!

Originally Posted By: rayc
COOOOL. This has a bit of Maggie Bell in it - she did a great line in blues informed rock (Suicide Sal - great album).
the backing vocals are a real treat.
Loved it all.

Thanks, Ray, happy you liked this one!

And also thanks for turning me on to Maggie Bell! Man, what a voice! Great songs too. I see she has been around forever but for some reason she slipped under my radar.

I watched a few of her videos yesterday and also downloaded the Suicide Sal album from spotify, going to listen to it while I'm travelling tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Dave & Chris,
You deliver again... with a non-preachy poetic relevance to the lyrics that adds to my enjoyment of another fine blues rock opus ( can`t think of a better word for how your guitar soars).
At first I thought the vocals sounded a bit far back, but ... this needs to be played loud, then it gels.
Love the chorus harmonies especially at the close behind your lead.
Fine work!

Robert

"blues rock opus", I like that!

Thanks, Robert, I appreciate the listen and comments.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Better Days - 08/02/19 08:22 PM
Awesome tune. First loved the backtrack. Chris’s vocal wow. Dave your guitar parts were awesome. The intro, the solos very well done. Your guitar tone and phrasing was perfect for the song
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Better Days - 08/02/19 09:35 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I've been gently corrected by floyd jane enough times not to comment on the mix. whistle

I will say that everything "works" for me - nothing sticks out, too hot, or out of place. I didn't notice the replacement of the piano tracks.

I enjoyed the listen - a moody track, the lyrics a good contrast with the upbeat title. smile

Thanks, David!

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Powerful piece. The guitar intro works great leading into that classy vocal. Nice build throughout until the end, where it turns reflective. Wonderful leads that really "lead". Has that classic feel. Very much enjoyed.

Thanks, Tang! (I'm not mad about the intro guitar myself, I think it's weak. I'll probably rework it at some point)

Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Blue Attitude, hi Chris,

this is a really good one, and really well-performed. The melody with its large interval is anything but easy to be sung,(esp. the last two lines in front of the chorus), but , Chris, you did an awesome vocal job! And

The chorus is very, very nice - the harmony singing us excellent.

Ah yes: good lyrics, too.

Daave: I really liked your guitar parts, very nicely written (or improvised) and played - love the tone of the guitar. To me, a guitar doesn't have to sound in a way everybody says, 'Ah, never heard something like that before', to me it must fit the song. And this tone fits the song perfectly, it's authentic.

The production sounds very appealing to my old ears - so to sum it up: Great song, enjoyed the listen very much.

Cheers,

Stefan

Well, the chances of hearing something technically new or exciting from my playing is slim. I always just try and do what is right for the song to the best of my ability, and my chops are not as good as they were 20 years ago. Getting old and all that fun stuff! But hey, can't stop the clock, just have to make the most of it smile

Thanks for the listen, happy you liked it!

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Simply amazing. This song and especially with Chris's voice reminds me of a band Skunk Anansie. Her singing has so much dynamics, maybe her best interpretation so far I have heard. Admirable and enviable collaboration - that voice and that singing blues solo guitar playing and talking together. Interesting chording with some nice surprises. Better days are already here.

Janne

Hi Janne,
I had never heard of that band but I checked them out on youtube, I see the similarity. And I passed along your comments to Chris, turns out she is a fan smile

Thanks for your awesome review!

Originally Posted By: cliftond
Great guitar work on this, vocals are top notch, lyrics work well here!!! Cliff

Thanks Cliff, happy you liked it!

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Awesome tune. First loved the backtrack. Chris’s vocal wow. Dave your guitar parts were awesome. The intro, the solos very well done. Your guitar tone and phrasing was perfect for the song

Very happy you liked this, Scott, and thanks for the comments on the guitar!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Better Days - 08/02/19 09:37 PM
Thanks to everyone that took the time to listen and comment on our song.

I'll be mostly offline for the next 10 days or so, I'll catch up with what everyone has been up to once I get back.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Better Days - 08/03/19 04:07 PM
A great song by a talented duo!! Great guitar work Dave, in fact it's super!! What a great vocalist Chris is! She is a real talent! Enjoyed the tune! Loved the refrain on the end! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Better Days - 08/03/19 07:13 PM
Sweet (more bittersweet) tune!! Chris seems to always get better with vocals, and Dave, not to be outdone, steps up the guitar work! This is so well done in every way.....delicious bluesy tune! Great job guys!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Better Days - 08/03/19 11:01 PM
Back for more listens. This is deserving of resting at the top of a blues chart!
© PG Music Forums