PG Music Home
Posted By: TuneMonger Wailing at the Arch - 08/02/19 10:43 PM
Hope y'all will indulge me, I'm going to post two harmonica instrumentals. This first one is with the JAZFRED RS and I'm playing a chromatic harmonica. It's a blues, but jazz's version of the blues. The one I post after this will be more of a straight blues with the little 10 hole harmonica.

https://soundcloud.com/user-770148857/wailing-by-the-arch
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Wailing at the Arch - 08/02/19 11:06 PM
That's some seriously good harmonica playing. Well done.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Wailing at the Arch - 08/03/19 01:35 AM
Gotta agree with Ghostgum ... some real serious harmonica playing. Perhaps just a touch of reverb might have been a good thing. But, I assure you, it's dang good as is! Great stuff .. loved it!

Alan
Posted By: rayc Re: Wailing at the Arch - 08/03/19 07:53 AM
Cool playing but there's some crackling going on under the harmonica lines for the 1st minute in particular - did it record dirty or is it triggering something?
I like a smidgen of delay on those things but you'll have to sort out the crackle 1st.
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Wailing at the Arch - 08/03/19 09:37 AM
Hi Tunemonger,

I know that this is not a good charcter trait, but I have to admit that all my life I've envied people who can play the harmonica, even if they played it less well than you do.

But the way you play is so top-notch - really enjoyed the listen a lot, love the jazzy vibe.

Looking forward to MORE !!!!

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Wailing at the Arch - 08/03/19 06:55 PM
Very nicely played!! My lips are tired just thinking about it! Nice job!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Jim Re: Wailing at the Arch - 08/03/19 09:04 PM
Ive' always enjoyed harmonica music...
Perhaps because I remember hearing "Peg O' My Heart" being played at my grandparents home...
I can only imagine how difficult a chromatic harmonica can be to master...
I will look forward to hearing the other version.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Wailing at the Arch - 08/03/19 09:46 PM
TuneMonger, I wish I could play one of those! I'll just have to do a cheap imitation on a keyboard for now! Great job on the tune! I love Jazz and it sounds like you do too! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: dcuny Re: Wailing at the Arch - 08/04/19 03:42 AM
Yep, nice harmonica blues! smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Wailing at the Arch - 08/04/19 05:31 PM
TM,

Well done. Good playing. Nice backing.

Enjoyed the listen.

fj
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Wailing at the Arch - 08/04/19 07:18 PM
Real nice feel for jazzy blues on that harp. Looking forward to hearing you play the 10-hole.

Robert
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Wailing at the Arch - 08/06/19 10:39 AM
What a tune! As others said, your harmonica playing is superb here. I also loved the groove and the backing instrumentation you chose for this one. Really easy to follow, and makes for an engaging and fun listen.

Great work and thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Wailing at the Arch - 08/06/19 05:19 PM
We used to play with a guy who could play a mean harp and man you are WAILING for sure!

Love it and the entire groove.

Well done!

J&B
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Wailing at the Arch - 08/07/19 03:04 AM
A happy-making piece. Enjoyed the blow.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Wailing at the Arch - 08/07/19 06:29 PM

Coool jazz blues.
Excellent, smooth playing!
Only thing, there are minor audio artifacts on the record, but I think it actually sounds interesting, gives sort of vintage sound to this tune.

P.S. I picked up an older Hohner super chromonica at local flea couple of weeks back. (could not resist) Cleaned it... have no idea how to play it. Your tune is very inspirational, will try to understand how it works.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Wailing at the Arch - 08/07/19 09:12 PM
Harmonicas are such an interesting instrument. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Wailing at the Arch - 08/08/19 11:36 AM
So cool. Love the sound of a well played harp. Well done
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Wailing at the Arch - 08/09/19 08:16 PM
Thanks to all for the encouraging words. Thanks also for the technical tips, they are appreciated just as much. I'm still sorting things out, hopefully I will figure out the noise problem.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Wailing at the Arch - 08/19/19 06:53 PM
Back for another listen...GREAT!

J&B
© PG Music Forums