PG Music Home
Posted By: Torrey Bliss ISABEL - 08/03/19 04:22 PM
[Link no longer valid]

For this one I revisited a tune I posted a couple of years ago. This is a total re-do. It had a much heavier rock sound then but wasn't what I originally planned for the song. This one is much closer to the way I first heard it in my head! I am still hammering out the mixing on this but it's getting closer! I appreciate all of you who check out my songs and comment! It's never taken for granted!

BIAB
Drums-Country Shuffle
Ukulele-1142 Folk Swing
Piano-1791 Dixieland Medium
372-Acoustic Strumming Hank

Me
Vocals
Guitars lead and rhythm played through a Roland Gr55
Bass
"Clarinet" played on my Yamaha keyboard

Isabel
Words and music by
Torrey Bliss copyright 2017 BMI

You never could imagine
You were the center of attraction
To me you were a queen

Then we ended up together
With a love to last forever
But lately I have seen

That there's a longing in your eyes
Telling what your voice denies

Isabel you'd never leave me
But you never tell me that you need me
You have learned to hide your feelings oh so well
You have a dream that you must follow
Of a fairytale promised tomorrow
You hope it will come true but only time will tell

You said you couldn't help but wonder
What's left to be discovered
If you could just be yourself

You’ve given more than taken
Now you've been awakened
To desires you've never felt

What could I do to keep your love
Oh would it ever be enough

Posted By: RichardB1985 Re: ISABEL - 08/03/19 04:42 PM
I really like the chorus and the overall sound of this song. I especially enjoyed the way the music underneath the chorus worked with the main melody. Really enjoyed listening to it. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Jim Re: ISABEL - 08/03/19 06:17 PM
Simply delightful...
Melodically it reminded me of Randy Newman...
That should be taken as a pretty high compliment...
Well mixed & well produced...
But if its not what you're hearing in you head...
Keep polishing & I will be waiting smile!
Posted By: Greg Johnson ISABEL - 08/03/19 07:21 PM
WOW, what a potpourri of great old school rockers this brings to mind!!! When you sang the word "queen", I thought of Killer Queen (and the guitar solo is very Brian May). There's a little Lennon (particularly the vocal sound), and I hear some McCartney in the melody, along with some Billy Joel! It's like Torrey Bliss and the Superstars of the 60's/70's all rolled into one. A SIMPLY DELICIOUS LISTEN!!! Take care Torrey! Greg
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: ISABEL - 08/03/19 07:22 PM
Would you be able to post up the original to allow us to compare, if you're alright with that? I love being able to listen to re-makes and the originals one right after the other!
Posted By: MarioD Re: ISABEL - 08/03/19 07:37 PM
This is excellent. DO NOT CHANGE A THING!

Its like a perfect blend of The Beatles and The Kinks.

I really liked this and IMHO it is your best to date!
Posted By: PeterF Re: ISABEL - 08/03/19 07:44 PM
Torrey

Excellent. Really interesting to analyze all those influences but overall you've created a great song.
Lovely harmony guitars - thick & rich and really enjoyed the overall sound palette.
Great work.

Peter
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/03/19 09:47 PM
Thanks Richard for taking time to listen and comment! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Ronnie Fields Re: ISABEL - 08/03/19 10:36 PM
Wow, I hear the Beatles in this wonderful tune. Takes me back in time, I may have followed my dad to Country Jam Sessions, but I grew up listening and playing Beatle songs!!
Posted By: rayc Re: ISABEL - 08/04/19 02:19 AM
Plenty of Beatles in this - initially I heard lennon and Sgt. Pepper's & the dual leads have a touch Brian May.
Yet it is, most certainly, a Torrey Bliss tune as your stamp, (mainly the way you integrate your guitar & voice with BIAB), is all over this little firecracker.
Posted By: dcuny Re: ISABEL - 08/04/19 03:12 AM
Torry Bliss, The Beatles and Queen walk into a bar...

Wow. laugh

I can hear how you might want to tweak it a bit, but...

Wow.

Love the clarinet, and the bass, and the twin guitars, the vocals...

I don't have any suggestions, but my son walked in halfway through the song and said "McCartney", so I rewound it so he could hear it all. His input: "Those 'bop bops' at the end are really strong. There should be more of them earlier on."
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: ISABEL - 08/04/19 03:39 AM
To me it seems perfectly balanced and blended. I particularly like the guitar parts.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/04/19 08:12 AM
Thanks Jim! I've got it about where I want it except that I might add a couple more little guitar phrases toward the end and maybe a little more work on the vocals in places. T
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: ISABEL - 08/04/19 01:36 PM
I torrey awesome stuff very well done +10 eric
Posted By: Robertkc Re: ISABEL - 08/04/19 03:57 PM
Torrey,
This is really good!
I liked the rockier original as well; vocals here are more upfront to my hearing, and the arrangement with the clarinet sounds more Sgt Peppery.
Love that fuzzy guitar playing the melody thing you do.
No suggestions/lots of grins for your reworking of this.

Robert
Posted By: Birchwood Re: ISABEL - 08/04/19 05:39 PM
Hi Torrey,

I agree with everyone telling you not to change a thing in this song. It's nice, has good power, a nice amount of pleasure in it and the vocals are very good!
And especially I liked how long you just play that acoustic guitar before the other instruments come in. Gives a nice tension in someone's expectations, whether or not they come.

Hans
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: ISABEL - 08/04/19 07:25 PM
This really high class Torrey.
Love the fx's on the vocal.
Great mix. I really enjoyed my listen. Rob4580
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/04/19 08:23 PM
Thank you Greg!! Your input is valuable to me! I ALWAYS appreciate your comments! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/04/19 08:26 PM
Thanks for the listen Ember! Here is the link to the original.
https://soundcloud.com/torrey-bliss/isabel
Posted By: Will Josef Re: ISABEL - 08/04/19 09:53 PM
This is a really good song! I'm so "young" here that I haven't heard your original attempt but I don't care.. this really works for me... it is a song with a really good melody that just stays in the memory for a long time.

I absolutely love this kind of music!

Thanks for sharing!
Will
Posted By: Tangmo Re: ISABEL - 08/05/19 06:06 AM
Great song with a lot of "classic" flavor. That steady beat holding forth under the shifting progression and key-changes really fit the lyric well. Ever-interesting...just like Isabel.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: ISABEL - 08/05/19 10:26 AM
Torrey,

Excellent in every way.

Solid Pop-Rock write. An excellent vocal (and BGVs).

A wonderful musical bed. Excellent mix. Drums and bass - super. Guitars, too. The attention to detail is evident at every turn.

A terrific listen. A lot of people "write songs". You Make Music!

fj
Posted By: jannesan Re: ISABEL - 08/05/19 11:04 AM
For the 2017 version, I wrote "This has really classic pop rock sound, melody and chording", that hasn't changed with this new version - actually it has much better mix, clarinet sounds great and the solo guitarist sounds even more Brian May.

Janne
Posted By: David Snyder Re: ISABEL - 08/05/19 07:13 PM
Hey Torrey,

This song is really great! Excellent.

I want to apologize for being so absent from the forum. Also, I will be candid that this part of the post is kind of a generic “form letter” to my old and new forum friends.

In brief, work is very hectic right now and I am having a hard time keeping up with the forum and even writing new songs. There is also a lot of new material hitting the boards—more than I can listen to and reply. People are on a roll!

Instead of backing away from the forum I want to stay involved by just giving the equivalent of a “like” as opposed to full-fledged commentary.

This way, I can just keep listening, and enjoying and reply with a simple LOVE IT or something like that.

I do listen, love your stuff and really want to continue following those who are so dedicated to encouraging others, even if it is only with one word.

Hope this makes sense, thanks for your artistry and forgive my brevity going forward with massive time constraints.

Also forgive me if you see this message more than once until I know I have covered all my bases.

Peace!!

smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: ISABEL - 08/05/19 07:14 PM
Wow! We love what Greg said:

"There's a little Lennon (particularly the vocal sound), and I hear some McCartney in the melody..." Yep!

And, man, is your vocal ever engaging on this...so full and yet not too upfront. Excellent.

The guitar and "clarinet" performances are perfect for the vibe.

I'd call this thing done.

Kudos

J&B
Posted By: Scott C Re: ISABEL - 08/05/19 11:21 PM
I loved this Torrey. What a cool song. Very cool feel to this song. Love the clarinet. That was the very first instrument I learned to play.. Awesome vocal and guitar was cool as well. Nice redo.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/06/19 06:05 AM
Thanks for the positive feedback Mario! I won't change much except fix a couple of places where the vocal was a little flat and add a couple more guitar phrases toward the end. T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/07/19 05:51 AM
Thanks Peter for taking the time to listen and comment! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/07/19 05:53 AM
Thanks Ronnie! I readily admit that I had the Beatles in mind when I put this one together! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/07/19 05:54 AM
Thanks Ray! Your comments always mean a lot to me! T
Posted By: Crossroads Re: ISABEL - 08/07/19 07:06 AM
Hi Torrey,

you not only never disappoint, but you very often let me sit in front of my speakers, mouth wide open. And that's what just happened again. This is - sorry - just butt kicking good !!!

The song is just great and I'm sure it, like most good compositions, would work in different arrangements, too, but this way of presenting it seems to be optimal for me.

My first impression, having listened to just a few bars, was: That doesn't sound American at all, that's soooo British. The guitar part is such a perfect tribute to Brian May (as in Killer Queen e.g.), and whem I read Ray's post the scales fell off my eyes (resp. ears): A lot of Sgt. Pepper feel in it. Which in my mind is an ultimate compliment.

Like I said before: I'm the CEO of the German Torrey Bliss fan club - man, I just love your stuff so much.

And like Tom Lehrer once said (in 'Smut', 1965): 'More, more, I'm still not satisfied !'

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: ISABEL - 08/07/19 10:41 AM
Hey there Torrey, I found this very easy to listen and I really dug the progression. Very captivating lyrics too. Great work!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: ISABEL - 08/07/19 06:13 PM
Torrey,
Super cool! Listens very well.
Torrey, there are some tunes that are... "well crafted" and there are ones that are done from the heart. I believe this falls into the second. Clarinet and old time piano work very well on this.
Enjoyed it a lot. If it was me I would not change arrangement or the vocals. It is a little bit on the higher side of frequency to my ears, but it does not take it away, and I think that was your intention smile

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/08/19 05:17 AM
Thanks David for the kind words! I had one other place in the song that I had already planned to work in those "bops" when I had time to do it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/08/19 05:18 AM
Thanks Ghostgum for the listen and comment! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/08/19 05:19 AM
Thanks Eric for listening and commenting! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/08/19 07:11 PM
Thanks Robert for always giving my tunes a listen and making insightful observations!! T
Posted By: Al-David Re: ISABEL - 08/09/19 04:13 AM
Hi Torrey ...

Awesome song! I immediately thought of the Beatles, particularly McCartney. An interesting mix of tracks but they all blend so perfectly. As always, your vocal shines as bright as ever. Personally, I wouldn't change anything. But what you hear on your mental jukebox should lead the way for you. But, as is, it sounds fantastic! Great song and performance . Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: ISABEL - 08/09/19 11:25 AM
Nicely done! Delightfully catchy, and I love the upbeat vibes on this one. I love the groove, and the instrumentation is really lush and almost exotic sounding. Plus, your vocals are seriously top notch here - and the chorus on this one is really on point.

All the makings of a classic - wouldn't change a thing! Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/10/19 08:24 AM
Thanks Hans! I appreciate you taking time to notice different things in the song! I did repair a few "off/flat" places in the vocals and added a couple of guitar phrases that I felt were needed! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/10/19 08:24 AM
Thanks Rob! I appreciate the positive feedback! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/10/19 08:26 AM
Thanks Will for the kind words! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/11/19 03:29 PM
Thanks Tangmo for observations and positive words and taking time to listen! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/12/19 05:05 AM
Thanks Floyd for all the kind words! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/12/19 05:06 AM
Thanks Janne for listening and commenting! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/12/19 05:07 AM
Thanks David for your time and comments! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/12/19 05:08 AM
Thanks J&B for your comments! I always appreciate them! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/12/19 05:09 AM
Thanks Scott for the positive feedback! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/12/19 05:10 AM
Thanks Stefan all those kind words! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/12/19 05:11 AM
Thanks Joe for the listen and comment! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/12/19 05:12 AM
Thanks Misha for taking the time to listen and comment! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/12/19 05:12 AM
Thank you Alan! I appreciate that! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/12/19 05:13 AM
Thanks Deryk for the positive feedback! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: ISABEL - 08/14/19 09:21 AM
Hi Torrey,

I'm playing catch up here, been on vacation the last couple of weeks. Happy I didn't miss this one!

Great groove and vocal, and as always I loved hearing what you do with the guitar parts.

Excellent!
Posted By: Mark K Re: ISABEL - 08/14/19 02:57 PM
Great song. Especially love the clarinet.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: ISABEL - 08/15/19 03:18 AM
Torrey,

It’s been a tough time finding time to spend on the board—the real world keeps getting in the way. But glad I found time to listen to some tunes tonight, and particularly this one.

Got nothing to say or suggest—just really liked and appreciated what I heard. From the great vocals to the terrific layers of music you weaved into this. Is that a hint of Queen I hear? It’s pretty killer.

Great stuff!

My best to you,

Deej
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/16/19 07:17 AM
Thanks Dave! I appreciate the listen and comment! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/16/19 07:17 AM
Thanks Mark for taking the time to listen and comment! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 08/16/19 07:18 AM
Thanks DJ for the kind words! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: edshaw Re: ISABEL - 09/23/19 08:18 AM
Don't know where I've been. Stumbled upon this while surfing your SC page, Torrey. Wonderful song.
Posted By: rayc Re: ISABEL - 09/25/19 07:06 AM
Torrey,
The 2017 version is pretty flash. It doesn't have the Carnaby St pop Smarts of the latest version BUT it's a cracker in its own right.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: ISABEL - 09/25/19 09:50 AM
There is a great vibe delivered throughout this entire song.

Very catchy. Every part works great.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 10/25/19 05:00 AM
Thanks Ray for the listen and comments! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ISABEL - 10/25/19 05:00 AM
Thanks Videotrack for taking the time to listen and comment! I appreciate it! T
© PG Music Forums