PG Music Home
Posted By: Mark K Don't Wanna Know About It - 08/13/19 10:20 PM
SoundCloud Link: https://soundcloud.com/user-327268453/dont-wanna-know-about-it

BBSoloist_Real 1949 Piano, Acoustic, Soloist PopRootsyJohn Ev16 100
BBSoloist_Real 2203 Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopPromiseBrent Ev16 100 (Used MIDI only for guitar solo)

Arranged and mixed with Studio 1. Vocaloid for vocals except male verse parts.

Lyrics

Verse 1:
Male: Is this love?
Female: I don’t wanna know about it.
Verse 2:
Male: Are you the one?
Female: I don’t wanna hear about it.
Chorus 1:
Not ready for commitment
Not ready to settle down
Give it some time to grow - slow
Go slow
Verse 3:
Chorus 2 and 3:
Not ready for commitment
Not ready to settle down
Give it some time to go slow
Go slow
Don’t wanna move too fast
Know from what I’ve learned –
In the past
Go slow
Posted By: rayc Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 08/14/19 12:54 AM
The drop from the piano only intro into extended intro was a bit odd.
You need to make the male vocal as clear as the vocaloid OR visa versa.
Interesting stuff.
Posted By: Mark K Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 08/14/19 10:42 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
The drop from the piano only intro into extended intro was a bit odd.
You need to make the male vocal as clear as the vocaloid OR visa versa.
Interesting stuff.

Hi rayc,

Thanks for listening and the critique. Regarding your comment that male vocal in verse not as clear as female, this was a conscious decision on my part. I wanted to convey that the man was in a dream world, glassy eyed, not thinking clearly, incapacitated with infatuation and that the woman was thinking clearly, and being real with the situation. To do this I put some delay and reverb with a long decay on the male vocal. Also, it’s volume lower to put further back in the mix.

I think the song ended up being a bit too long, so shortening the intro would be a good place to start, though I don’t think it would sound right going immediately into the “Oh Yeah”s.
Posted By: Jim Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 08/14/19 04:50 PM
Very interesting Mark...
Nicely done...
I wonder what it would sound like if you had the male/female voices...
Panned more right & left from each other...
Overall I enjoyed the listen...
BTW don't wait so long to post a new one...
The last one I heard was "A Worthless State of Mind" back in January smile
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 08/14/19 06:03 PM
Mark,
Unusual and interesting sounding tune. Retro on steroids smile
It is long, but it did not felt like it. Good stuff!
Enjoyed it.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 08/14/19 06:49 PM
Don't you just love studio one.
This is very different and original.
Look forward to hearing more. Rob4580
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 08/14/19 07:11 PM
Hey Mark, wowzers! Excellent mixdown on all of this and a solid key signature choice too. Love the effects on the vocals. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 08/14/19 08:53 PM
We don't hear enough Piano-Pop on the forum, I think. This is a very spritely number. The piano RT is clearly the star and flows over the rest of the backing with a lot of power and interest. I really enjoyed listening.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 08/14/19 08:56 PM
It's really cool to see your reasoning behind using the male vocal and saying that you wanted to give off the feeling of them being in a dream world. I think you definitely conveyed that!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 08/14/19 09:58 PM
Mark,
A bright pop sound. I liked the vocaloid- it suits the song. Your explanation of the male/female vocal balance makes sense, though panning the male voice further l/r might make it more effective."oh yeah`s"fit nicely.
Lovely rolling piano track.

Robert
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 08/15/19 03:18 AM
Mark,

This brings me back to—well, hate to date myself—but 80’s dance clubs; excellent vibe here. It’s not exactly my type of tune, but it’s an impressive effort, weaving together some compelling sounds. Liked it—nice production.

BTW, I have no idea what a Vocaloid is? Anyone have interest in educating a poor, ignorant soul? Thanks much.

Regards,

Deej
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 08/15/19 11:24 AM
Wow - what an interesting and captivating tune! Delightfully upbeat, and definitely a change of pace from the usual content found on the showcase. I thought the arrangement and mix was on point too - sounds really professional.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 08/15/19 11:25 AM
Also, Mark - Vocaloid is a singing voice synthesizer software original developed by Yamaha. Basically it makes an artificial electronic human voice, and it often very distinct.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 08/15/19 10:45 PM
Very cool tune. Excellent mix
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 08/16/19 03:41 PM
Cool hearing a markedly different genre on the forum.

Great display of digital power with both Biab and Vocaloid. Been a while since we've had a post with Vocaloid.

REALLY well done. Stick around smile

J&B
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 08/16/19 05:04 PM
Mark,

A cool musical piece. Obvious that a fair amount of work went into this...

Enjoyed it.

fj
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 08/16/19 07:30 PM
Great work and thanks for being a pioneer. The best way to push the tech is to use what we have, despite its limitations. Enjoyed it.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 08/18/19 04:11 PM
Very cool!! Very enjoyable!! What synth did you use? ....sounds great! Love the whole energy of this piece. Great job!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: jannesan Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 08/22/19 04:37 PM
Nice dance rhythm, brings some memories from the 20th century. That Vocaloid fits well in this type of song, I remember when it was trend to use the same vocal sample in several songs.

Janne
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 08/22/19 10:08 PM
Mark,
Great production. Show excellent ear for detail and creative arranging.
Yes, it brings back 80s memories.
Posted By: Mark K Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 09/07/19 08:27 PM
Everyone, thanks for listening and commenting.

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Mark,

This brings me back to—well, hate to date myself—but 80’s dance clubs; excellent vibe here. It’s not exactly my type of tune, but it’s an impressive effort, weaving together some compelling sounds. Liked it—nice production.

BTW, I have no idea what a Vocaloid is? Anyone have interest in educating a poor, ignorant soul? Thanks much.

Regards,

Deej

Deej, Vocaloid is vocal synthesis engine from Yamaha. You need a voice-pack for it to work, though the English offerings are few (most are Japanese.) For this song I used Amy and Chris. Cyber_Diva and Cyber_Songman are two other English voice-packs offered by Yamaha. Also, some third party voice-packs are available. They are expensive, so I only have the few.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very cool!! Very enjoyable!! What synth did you use? ....sounds great! Love the whole energy of this piece. Great job!! Take care. Greg

Greg, I used Studio-One Mai-Tai for the main synth with playing through the length of song (modified TOMITA Strings preset.) Another instance of Mai-Tai for the 2nd synth during the 1st and 2nd chorus (modified Pad - B. Jones preset.) ANA 2 with Epic Bells preset was used for the "bell" part and the end of most sections. Finally, another instance of Mai-Tai for the 2nd synth of the guitar solo, last chorus, and outro (modified Poly-Etheris preset.)
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 09/07/19 09:05 PM
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the ticket back to the 80s - I had a very nice travel back in time with good music produced by you! Please continue to produce tracks like this. I liked it a lot!

Thanks for sharing,
Will
Posted By: dcuny Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 09/07/19 11:26 PM
Drum machine, synths - nailed the 80's vibe.

I was going to be it was done at 3:30. And to be honest, you could probably fade it there and be fine. You've got a piano solo intro, you don't really need and extended solo at the end.

Then again, it's an 80's dance song, so it makes sense for it to be an extended cut. wink

I enjoyed it, thanks!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 09/08/19 06:20 AM
Not my genre but I really enjoyed listening to this one, really well done!

Vocaloid sounds better on this track than your other one, seems to "fit".

What did you use to build that drum track?

Nice work!
Posted By: Mark K Re: Don't Wanna Know About It - 09/09/19 02:59 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Not my genre but I really enjoyed listening to this one, really well done!

Vocaloid sounds better on this track than your other one, seems to "fit".

What did you use to build that drum track?

Nice work!

Hi Dave,

Drum track was built using all Studio One samples, either directly as audio (wave files) or using Studio One's sample player, then controlled with MIDI. I have a track for Kick, 2 snares, 2 claps, 2 hi-hats, and cymbals. Lot's of control over timing (especially the snare fills), but tedious work. [img:center]https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZGj7omB8G3qgTEPXA[/img]
© PG Music Forums