PG Music Home
Posted By: Troy Schiewe I Don't - 08/15/19 06:59 PM
Here is a bonus song for August (#9 in my song a month challenge for 2019). I had a day off and the mood hit me. Oddly enough I could write lyrics today, but couldn't come up with a proper title for the track ???

Band in a Box

Bass - 1036 Bass Electric NorthernRockBallad
Guitar 1 - 2169 Resonator Soloist CountryRob
Drums - NashvilleBrushedPush
Guitar 2 - 1037 Guitar Acoustic Rhythm NorthernRockBallad
Accordion - 1757 Accordion Ryhthm Pop8ths

Main Vocal - Troy Schiewe (me)
Harmonies - Generated with BIAB

Each track generated and saved as a wave file and then mixed with Reaper.

Link to song on [Link no longer valid]
I Don't
Words and Music by Troy Schiewe
Copyright 2019

I don't know I don't know
Where our love did go
Always knew you were the one
But now my life has come undone

I don't think I'll be the same
Every day I feel the pain
You went away and broke my heart
Should have known it form the start

All my friend's tried to warn me
Of all the things you you said and done
I didn't listen to the warnings
I've paid the price now it's done

I look back on happy times
When in this world you were mine
Our love was once like a song
But now it's over you are gone

All my friend's tried to warn me
Of all the things you you said and done
I didn't listen to the warnings
I've paid the price now it's done
Posted By: pianowillbebach Re: I Don't - 08/15/19 07:36 PM
I would change "of all the thing" to "'bout the things"!
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: I Don't - 08/15/19 08:27 PM
It sounds like inspiration hit you for the lyrics and it shows! Really great job and thanks for listening!
Posted By: Troy Schiewe Re: I Don't - 08/16/19 12:43 AM
After a listen, the song was sounding a little flat to me, so I've remixed it to build the song as it goes. I also added a third up on the vocals in the chorus.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: I Don't - 08/16/19 05:26 AM
Great band choice on this one.
Good effort on the vocal. Well done on the mix.
Rob4580
Posted By: rayc Re: I Don't - 08/16/19 08:56 AM
The build does help with the dynamics but the build is gentle and deceptive. I'd have liked to hear a bar or two when the rhythm section dropped out - or that was propelled just by the accordion - that sort of dynamic is easy to achive and can be effective - you could also opt for a modulation for a chorus - dirty old trick but it works.

I like the lyric choice of "..all the things.." as it carries from the previous line.
Mind you as a Grammar Nazi I'd probably prefer the use of you'd rather than you.

Regardless it's a lovely, slow, sad ballad.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: I Don't - 08/16/19 09:46 AM
Troy,
Beautiful tune. Excellent vocals and overall production!
PS The only thing, I wish accordion would come louder in some parts smile

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: I Don't - 08/16/19 11:31 AM
Nice work on this one smile It is really poignant, and your vocals are stunning here. I thought the harmonies on the chorus were absolutely stunning and that the progressions were on point as well.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: I Don't - 08/16/19 11:45 AM
Very nice acoustic stuff there. One of the most enjoyable songs on the forum in a long time IMHO.

Loved everything about this. The mix is really nice and clean. Stellar job.

Your voice is a natural..... solid performance.

The vocal harmonies are good. It sounds like you used a harmonizer on cloned tracks or something similar. They are just a little "too perfect" in my humble opinion and a tad too loud for the job they do in the mix. BUT... to keep them rather then mess around with them or have to record them again...... I'd simply drop their levels way down so they add a harmonic ambience to the chorus vocals. It makes it sound really good, fat and full, without being overly obvious. Lots of artists on the radio use this technique to add that kind of fatness to a chorus vocal part. In a DAW, the fast fix is.... I'd group the BGV into a separate buss and set the level at -10dB to -16dB as needed. That will git ur done.

Man, I loved this song and the work you did on it.

Just noticed harmonies generated by BB.... cool. I've never used that feature.
Posted By: Troy Schiewe Re: I Don't - 08/16/19 12:54 PM
Guitarhacker

Thank you for the kind comments. I'm learning so much on every new song I do (thru the process and from all of you here on the forum), that I've decided that I'm going to start a new project in December. It will be to remix, re-record, and re-write where needed, all of my songs from this year. Hopefully with everyone's help I'll continue to learn and hopefully I can fix/improve my songs.

Cheers

Troy
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: I Don't - 08/16/19 01:42 PM
Great work on this Troy, I admired the vibe on this and I dig the overall timbres. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: I Don't - 08/18/19 02:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Very nice acoustic stuff there. One of the most enjoyable songs on the forum in a long time IMHO.

Loved everything about this. The mix is really nice and clean. Stellar job.

Your voice is a natural..... solid performance.

The vocal harmonies are good. It sounds like you used a harmonizer on cloned tracks or something similar. They are just a little "too perfect" in my humble opinion and a tad too loud for the job they do in the mix. BUT... to keep them rather then mess around with them or have to record them again...... I'd simply drop their levels way down so they add a harmonic ambience to the chorus vocals. It makes it sound really good, fat and full, without being overly obvious. Lots of artists on the radio use this technique to add that kind of fatness to a chorus vocal part. In a DAW, the fast fix is.... I'd group the BGV into a separate buss and set the level at -10dB to -16dB as needed. That will git ur done.

Man, I loved this song and the work you did on it.

Just noticed harmonies generated by BB.... cool. I've never used that feature.

Agreed!! It is a very pretty song! I also agree about the production tips as well. Really sweet!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Mark K Re: I Don't - 08/18/19 06:56 PM
Like the simple but effective resonator guitar solos.
Posted By: Scott C Re: I Don't - 08/19/19 03:37 PM
Cool vocal Troy. Enjoyed the lyric. Gave me a George Strait vibe. Well done
© PG Music Forums