PG Music Home
Posted By: Ghostgum "Waltzing Through A Dream" - 08/18/19 10:47 PM
https://soundcloud.com/user-427542889/waltzing-through-a-dream

BIAB Tracks: WHIMSY.STY (Whimsical Piano Waltz)
1122:Bass, Acoustic. CountryWaltz Sw 110
2049:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment Country WaltzJohn Sw 085
829:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Country Waltz SW 110
686:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 120
-------------------------------------------------
Bells, Strings, Acoustic Grand Piano, Oboe = Propellerhead Reason 10.0
using Korg K61P midi keyboard.

Construction: The melody of the 3rd stanza came to me first - composed on descant recorder. I recorded an oboe version in "Reason" and then set about composing two counter-melodies for bells, piano and strings (as heard in stanzas 1 & 2). I saved my favourite part (oboe) for the last stanza.
The next task was to find a BIAB style with backing instruments that would fit. I would have preferred 'even' to 'swing' waltz, but beggars can't afford to be too fussy! I'm reasonably content with the overall effect and am beginning to like it better than the 2008 version (which was 100% midi).
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: "Waltzing Through A Dream" - 08/20/19 10:46 AM
Really well done smile I thought it flowed tremendously well, and it has a nice ethereal quality to it. Very calming to listen to, and the bells have it a dreamy kind of vibe. I enjoyed the subtle changes throughout, also.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: "Waltzing Through A Dream" - 08/23/19 05:44 PM
Pretty song! Strings sound particularly nice! Enjoyed it! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: "Waltzing Through A Dream" - 08/23/19 09:46 PM
The piano sounds really great here, and the whole arrangement is on point. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: "Waltzing Through A Dream" - 08/24/19 05:17 AM
Thanks Ember. If the piano sounds ok it must be a miracle (never took a lesson in my life). And, if the right hand knew what the left hand was doing, it would probably prefer it to do be doing something else.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: "Waltzing Through A Dream" - 08/27/19 06:49 AM
That's a really pretty waltz-time piece. All the melodies are strong and feel right. The progression and backing fit beautifully. I'm wondering if you might have overstretched the natural range of the oboe? I'd also thought it was a lower-pitched instrument...but I could very well be wrong. Either way, the melody is still playing in my head as I type, and that's almost always a good thing.
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: "Waltzing Through A Dream" - 08/27/19 09:17 AM
Hi Tangmo. Thanks for listening to my piece and providing feedback.

I believe the normal range for an oboe is Bb3 to A6 (just under three octaves). However, the oboe in the "Orkester" suite in Reason 10.0 only goes as low as C4. And once it climbs past B5 (the highest note played in the composition in question is C6) it starts to sound a bit plastic. Until I upgrade my sound-sampling suite I'll have to do with second-best.

Kind regards,

Brian.
© PG Music Forums