PG Music Home
Posted By: JoanneCooper Numb with Cindy Prince - 08/20/19 11:11 AM
Firstly, thank you to each of you who listened and commented on my previous song "I am thinking of you". I appreciate each and every one of you. I don't want to put my thanks on that thread because it will go to the top of the board and I would rather post a new song. I hope that is okay with everyone here and that no-one is offended...

This is the third song for 50 90 (long...way to go). This one was also a co-write with the prolific Cindy Prince. A good old drinking song.

https://soundcloud.com/joannecoopersa/numb-with-cindy-prince

The lyrics are:
Numb
© 2019 Cindy Prince

I taste regret at the bottom of the bottle
Can't seem to climb up and over that rim
I make excuses, and I make up reasons
Whiskey is a lady by the name of Jim

I hate myself every morning after
But the enticement is stronger than me
I try to hide that I have a problem
I'd rather live in a drunken fantasy

Chorus
It all started with her leavin'
I tried to fill the empty space
I know that's not a reason
that I drink away her face?

One glass..Two glass...Three glass
Numb

Others tried to coax me into rehab
Sounded like a good idea at first
Until I had another dream of her
And woke up with a powerful thirst

Repeat chorus

The band was:

RealTracks in style: 909:Bass, Electric, SmoothPoppy Ev16 090
RealTracks in style: 2195:Piano, ElectricVintage, Rhythm CoolJazzPopHeld Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 676:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming FolkRockBritEighths Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 2883:Pedal Steel, Background CountryEddy12-key Ev 085
RealDrums [in style:PopModernGrooveSync16^6-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
and RT805:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm DrivingCountryBalladClean Ev

Your listens and/or comments are always much appreciated.
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Numb with Cindy Prince - 08/20/19 12:27 PM
Hi Joanne, fantastic choice of instrumentation on this. This sounds very full and I dig the overall timbres. Looking forward to hear more!
Posted By: Jim Re: Numb with Cindy Prince - 08/20/19 03:44 PM
Another nice collaboration...
I see cindyrella has 141 set of lyrics...
She seems to quite a prolific popular lyricist with the 50/90 participants...
I listened to some of their collaborations also...
And like yours...
Some of them sound quite good...
So I'll bet you'll going to find more inspirational material from her you can use.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Numb with Cindy Prince - 08/20/19 09:25 PM
I think you used the pedal steel really well in this song. Thanks for taking the time to share your song with us here on the forums!
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Numb with Cindy Prince - 08/20/19 09:54 PM
Hi Joanne,

It is a very nice song which I truly enjoyed listening to!

Is it perfect? No. I think you should experiment a little bit when you make your next song, so that the background harmonies maybe becomes a bit more challenging by not just following the songs melody line, but also use complimentary harmonies that fits... not saying that you should start to make jazz music, but just be a little bit more adventurous... smile

I hope you don't get angry at me for writing that... I really like your song... just thinking a bit out of the box.

Will
Posted By: rayc Re: Numb with Cindy Prince - 08/21/19 03:40 AM
A good melody for and rendering of the lyric.
The arrangement is pretty good but I reckon you could soften the aggressive electric with a little EQ and reverb to make it a better fit.
Excellent stuff.
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Numb with Cindy Prince - 08/21/19 04:07 AM
Not a big fan of drinking songs generally but this one was definitely worth listening to. Strong, flowing melody with well-matched refrain. Great vocals (as usual). Nice job, ladies!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Numb with Cindy Prince - 08/21/19 11:28 AM
Oh yeah! You know I love your voice.... This sounds like it came straight off Joan Baez's Diamonds and Rust album......

I like this song. Nicely done.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Numb with Cindy Prince - 08/21/19 11:41 AM
Nicely done smile Really lush, and your vocals are tremendous on this one. Excellent execution and the harmonies are beautiful. Delightfully upbeat and catchy too, despite the somber subject matter.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Numb with Cindy Prince - 08/21/19 01:44 PM
Another good collaboration, Joanne.
The hard edges in the lyrics tempered by your lovely vocal.
I like the simple arrangement ( I agree with RayC that the driving el.gtr sounds a little harsh).
Keep them coming!

Robert
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Numb with Cindy Prince - 08/22/19 07:24 AM
Hi Joanne,

I think moste of us can realate to what you're singing about so appealingly. Yes, this one reminds on Joan Baez, but your voice is pretty unique - I love the way you sing.

Some folks mentioned that electric guitar - I might agree that it might be defused a bit by certain EQing, but after all that is a matter of taste, and one could argue for having it exactly that way, too, I think.

All in all a very, very nice collab !!!

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Numb with Cindy Prince - 08/22/19 07:29 AM
Joe, Ember, Ghostgum, Herb, Deryk, Robert and Stephan. Thanks so much for the comments. Keep them coming!

Jim, glad to see you keeping up-to-date with what is happening on 50 90... yes Cindy is an amazing lyricist. Just wish I had more time smile

Will, Thanks for listening and commenting. I do get a bit "stuck in a rut" with my harmonies. They are a little formulaic. I do need to switch it up a bit....

RayC - Thanks for your comments. I am always appreciative of the mixing tips you give.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Numb with Cindy Prince - 08/22/19 09:06 AM
I thought this to be a really good song, quality write. I enjoyed my listen.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Numb with Cindy Prince - 08/23/19 06:01 PM
Really well-written song!! Well sung too! Heavy subject matter handled in a creative and powerful way. Great job!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Scott C Re: Numb with Cindy Prince - 08/24/19 10:56 AM
Just a lovely song. Beautiful vocal.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Numb with Cindy Prince - 08/25/19 05:44 PM
Joanne/Cindy,

You did a fine job on this. If you "fix" that guitar (get it more in the background, diffused a bit), it works well. I like the harmonies, actually, though some of the higher ones need to be "softer" to avoid the "generated" sound. A good listen.

I thought I was about to listen to a song called "Numb With Cindy Prince" and I thought "What a COOL title!!" (I may have to steal it).
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Numb with Cindy Prince - 08/26/19 11:01 PM
I've become a big fan, love your voice, material and production. Not much to say except keep them coming!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Numb with Cindy Prince - 08/27/19 12:52 PM
Joan Baez...the lost tapes

Very nice!

J&B
Posted By: dcuny Re: Numb with Cindy Prince - 08/27/19 11:08 PM
What they said!

When I looked the first line of the song in the post the other day, I thought "Not a drinking song..." and skipped it.

Which is odd, because there's hasn't been a glut of drinking songs here or anything. I guess I just didn't feel like listening to some slow, morose tune.

But I thought better of it this evening, and scrolled down to have a listen.

Of course, I enjoyed it immensely. Thanks! laugh
Posted By: Mark K Re: Numb with Cindy Prince - 08/30/19 01:13 PM
Beautiful song for difficult subject.
© PG Music Forums