PG Music Home
Hello everyone. My first post!

Surrounded by You _ARVORES.STY

Surrounded by You

https://soundcloud.com/paxalot/surrounded-by-you

A friend had recorded this already and I tried to sell him on BIAB by porting this song to BIAB.

All tracks BIAB except some piano and sax licks done using virtual instruments. The virtual Sax licks were done with SWAM Sample Modelling Saxophone. They fit in really well with the BIAB Sax.
Exported to and mixed in Pro Tools
Effects used: Reverb, compression
Welcome to the forum Jimmy.
Im not a Jazz person though I found this a good
quality mix. Thanks for posting. Rob4580
Welcome to the forums, Jimmy smile It flows gorgeously well, and the vocals are stunning. I thought the instrumentation was really lush, and the groove is easy to follow.

Looking forward to hearing more from you - thanks for sharing!
It's very nice to "meet" you. This is absolutely wonderful. You know your way around your DAW and gear. Great mix with really nice spread. I'm in love with your vocals--so full of grit and character yet still hits the notes. The light doubling and harmonies are perfect to my ears. Great arrangement and song. It seems to move effortlessly between a very accessible jazz and some genuine experimentation. "I" felt very comfortable with this--meaning, if I could, I would sing it myself to the one who surrounds me. Just great, and hugely enjoyed.
Posted By: rayc Re: First Post! Surrounded by You _ARVORES.STY - 08/27/19 07:49 AM
Good arrangement and an eccentric but effective mix - nice.
I do think that you could remove a little of the essing/sibilance/plosives so that the gritty, yet in tune, vocals can really be a fabulous way up front feature.
Welcome aboard and what a cool entry.

There's not a lot of jazz posted here so that makes this even more enjoyable.

Standouts are the arrangement, the vocals and the nice mix of RT's and virtual instruments.

And the mix sounds terrific on our monitors.

Kudos

J&B
Nicely done, Jimmy.

Nice arrangement, good mix (though at times the sax pulls my ear away from the vocal).

A very cool vocal!

Enjoyed the listen. Welcome to the Showcase...

fj
Terrific tune, unique vocals, vibey as can be - great intro to the User Showcase. Looking forward to hearing more!
Hello Jimmy,

welcome to the forum. And what an entry that is...

The song is wonderful by itself, but your singing is stunning. We have quite a few great vovalists here on the forum, but I think you walked right through into the very front line: Such a great voice and such a great phrasing.

If RayC says that the technical side could be improved he will most likely be right because he knows a darn lot about that. But to me the whole thing sounds just great and this will not be the only listen I'm going to give it.

Great work, Jimmy!

Cheers,

Stefan
Welcome Jimmy!! Always nice to "see a new face". Really like this track.....I love jazz, especially that older club sound! Wonderful job with vocals and production....you are catching on to BIAB much faster than I did. Really nice stuff!! Take care. Greg
Like Rob4580 posted: "Im not a Jazz person though I found this a good
quality mix." Nice interplay of sax with vocals. Enjoyed the listen.
Very good song! Nice vocal and good choice of RT's. I like it a lot!

Will
Welcome. As others have posted a really engaging vocal and an excellent first post.

Top quality song.

Peter
Jimmy,
welcome! Cool opening tune! I like the fusion of styles and vocal performance!
Mixed & listens very well.
I hope your friend is sold on BIAB smile

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
This sounds great Jimmy! What a great vocal! Beautiful work. Love the instrumentation coming into the song in stages. That little chorus/bridge section is wonderful! Kind of reminds me of some of Chicago's early work! Thanks, Torrey
hey Jimmy that is some mighty fine singing going on here.
Really enjoyed it
I really like the build, this has been cleverly done.

Great choice of style, and excellent lyrics.

This just gets better and better. Quality throughout.
Welcome, Jimmy! Great vocal--a lot of character and expression. Catchy song. Keep posting your work!
Sounded great to my ears. Welcome tot eh forum.Rob4580
Welcome Jimmy

I do like jazz although I do not think its a style I could do, I have been used to other styles.

Anyway this was a nice arrangement, vocals are well done, I did detect a wee bit of nervy sound in the vocals.

Put me in mind of my first post, things can only get better with the reviews/welcomes you are receiving.

There has got to be more.

Thanks
Posted By: dcuny Re: First Post! Surrounded by You _ARVORES.STY - 11/10/19 04:27 AM
Really well done.

I like the way you staggered the instrument entrances, and the mix has a "live" feel.

I agree with floyd jane - I think the sax would work much better if you removed the bits that overlapped with the vocals, and kept it to call and response. As lovely as it is, putting the sax a bit further back in the mix would help it sit better.

Great listen! smile
Very cool intro. Excellent vocal. Here a little Satchmo in your vocal style. Very cool. Well come to the forum.
Posted By: Jim Re: First Post! Surrounded by You _ARVORES.STY - 11/13/19 01:15 PM
Great 1st submission...
I love the sound of your voice on this tune...
Welcome to the forum!
Hi Jimmy,

This is excellent listening. Very classy music presented with flair. The mix is excellent. I wouldn't change a thing.

Really enjoyable.

Regards,
Noel
Really fantastic first post! I think you did a great job using that particular style. Thanks for sharing!
© PG Music Forums