PG Music Home
Posted By: jannesan The Value Of ME - 09/02/19 12:52 PM
The Value Of ME

I composed this song in 2009. Since then I have made several versions of it, usually when new Vocaloid launched, I tried how it would sound with this song - so I have LEON, BigAl, Oliver and Ruby versions. I made the Ruby version in 2015 right after Ruby was launched, published it on YouTube and Vocaloid community found it, thus it has got quite many likes, comments and viewers (almost 1000 now, you can help me to reach that milestone smile ).

This year, I decided to do the new version with my own voice, so I made a bit more "adult" version. I have liked bands like Simply Red, and this song is similar kind of blue-eyed soul.

It's amazing how quickly it is possible to create a different but still professional sounding version with Band-in-a-box. Although this song has the strangest chords I have ever used, like B7susb5b9/A, and I couldn't use many instruments because BIAB didn't play well those chords, there were enough RTs that managed to sound good with my chording. So it's my perfect tool - really a stable and reliable companion, the cornerstone of my music-making, constant like love described in the lyrics of this song... I hope you can find that message among all those mathematical references smile

All comments welcome!

RealDrums: Cowbell, LatinFunkAlex
Loops: chillos_100a

RealTracks:
Electric bass #3111
Acoustic piano #2424
Electric piano #2526
Electric guitar #1638, #3255
Electric guitar soloist #1651
Strings #2953
Cello #1856, #3267
Vocal Mmms #3278

MIDI (style??):
Electric piano (SampleTank 3)

Vocals: Janne S

Mixed in Cakewalk by BandLab

Lyrics:

The Value Of ME

A stone is rough and old
what if I could turn it to gold
and make you see the value of ME.
It's not alchemy
an equation of the third degree
X, Y or Z
just the constant value of ME.

Calculate, evaluate,
always in range, you cannot change

A stone is...

Measure and rate, appreciate
always the same, permanent name

Not a diamond, not a prime,
just average every time,
not an approximation of pi
just easy to divide and multiply
a stone in the abacus
the basics of your calculus.

A stone is...

-----------
Janne
Posted By: Noel96 Re: The Value Of ME - 09/02/19 02:26 PM
Hi Janne,

I love the premise of 'The value of me' and how you've worked the concept of 'value' from a maths and measurement perspective and ended up with some very cool lyrics... nice smile And what a backing!!!! It's funky, smooth and very engaging.

Also, your singing really grabbed me. I compliment you on a fine performance! Your vocals sit perfectly and so confidently in the mix that I'm hearing in my headphones here in Melbourne at 3:20 a.m.

Great stuff!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: dcuny Re: The Value Of ME - 09/02/19 04:24 PM
Love it! Clever lyrics, great sound, nice singing. Clear mix, love the arrangement.

I had a quick listen to the Vocaloid version. Your singing is much better. smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Value Of ME - 09/02/19 04:50 PM
Janne,

A clever lyric. Good arrangement - nice instrumentation. And a good mix.

Nice "mellow" vocal...

A pleasant listen. Enjoyed it.

fj
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Value Of ME - 09/03/19 03:19 AM
Janne

Very nice arrangement, really has a Simply Red vibe.

A very good piece of writing with a clever lyric and some excellent dynamics.

Really well done.

Peter
Posted By: Tangmo Re: The Value Of ME - 09/03/19 06:10 AM
Can't say I've ever heard a math-nerd easy-listening piece. Unique and very lovely.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: The Value Of ME - 09/03/19 06:55 AM
Very cool, Janne, clever lyrics and nice arrangement.

I had a listen to both versions, the vocaloid version is better than I thought it would be, that technology is getting pretty good.

But I like the new version better of course smile
Posted By: rayc Re: The Value Of ME - 09/04/19 07:30 AM
I didn't know the Finns used the American version of the alphabet.
The backing track is pretty funky & cool.
You've treated you vocals quite well.
I like the ideas in your lyric.
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Value Of ME - 09/04/19 11:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
I love the premise of 'The value of me' and how you've worked the concept of 'value' from a maths and measurement perspective and ended up with some very cool lyrics... nice smile And what a backing!!!! It's funky, smooth and very engaging.
Also, your singing really grabbed me. I compliment you on a fine performance! Your vocals sit perfectly and so confidently in the mix that I'm hearing in my headphones here in Melbourne at 3:20 a.m.
Great stuff!
All the best,
Noel

Thanks Noel for your uplifting comment, especially concerning lyrics and vocals - you really give me confidence for my singing smile I'm glad the song worked also in the early hours of the morning.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Value Of ME - 09/04/19 11:44 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Love it! Clever lyrics, great sound, nice singing. Clear mix, love the arrangement.
I had a quick listen to the Vocaloid version. Your singing is much better. smile

Thanks Dave, I really appreciate your kind feedback, means a lot to me smile I'm very glad to hear that I can sing better than a Vocaloid, I never thought that could ever be possible wink

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Value Of ME - 09/04/19 11:46 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
A clever lyric. Good arrangement - nice instrumentation. And a good mix.
Nice "mellow" vocal...
A pleasant listen. Enjoyed it.
fj

Thanks Floyd for your kind words smile You are such a great songwriter that a word like 'clever' from you is really rewarding laugh

Janne
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: The Value Of ME - 09/04/19 04:29 PM
The lyrics are really fantastic, and I think people perhaps often don't value themselves enough, so it has a great message.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Value Of ME - 09/04/19 05:57 PM
"I love the premise of 'The value of me' and how you've worked the concept of 'value' from a maths and measurement perspective and ended up with some very cool lyrics... nice smile And what a backing!!!! It's funky, smooth and very engaging."

Quoting Noel above because it is so well stated and we agree with it!

Janice pointed out she's hearing a bit of a Steely Dan vibe.

A "B7susb5b9/A" chord? That is so far over our heads that it's somewhere in outer space smile

We like this a lot...the cool lyric, laid back vocal and the BiaB parts.

Most enjoyable.

J&B
Posted By: rsdean Re: The Value Of ME - 09/04/19 08:01 PM
Janne,

This is an excellent set of lyrics and a great vocal. I love the harmonies and the laid back performance.

Much enjoyed!

Bob
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: The Value Of ME - 09/05/19 12:12 PM
Nicely done! Really enjoyed the harmonies and the lyrics here. Your vocals soar, and the instrumentation works perfectly with your vocal delivery. It's nicely catchy too, and I thought the mix was concise and professional.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: The Value Of ME - 09/05/19 12:19 PM
Janne,

Fun and humorous tune! I like your "strange" cords, arrangement flows very smoothly. At times, strange chord progressions sound the most interesting...well at least to me. Mix and production is very good.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Value Of ME - 09/06/19 03:13 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Very nice arrangement, really has a Simply Red vibe.
A very good piece of writing with a clever lyric and some excellent dynamics.
Really well done.
Peter

Thanks Peter for your kind review smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Value Of ME - 09/06/19 03:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Can't say I've ever heard a math-nerd easy-listening piece. Unique and very lovely.

Thanks Tangmo for your kind words, nice and funny description smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Value Of ME - 09/06/19 03:25 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Very cool, Janne, clever lyrics and nice arrangement.
I had a listen to both versions, the vocaloid version is better than I thought it would be, that technology is getting pretty good.
But I like the new version better of course smile

Thanks Dave for your kind feedback smile Certainly technology is getting better and will replace all of us in singing and playing some day, but before that, let's enjoy the human way laugh Nowadays I use vocaloid only when I create the vocal track from the MIDI melody, it helps when trying to find a natural flow for the words or modify the melody for a better vocal range.

And thanks to all video viewers, I have now reached my first ever 1000 limit smile

Janne
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: The Value Of ME - 09/06/19 06:11 PM
There was a lot I liked in this. The math kept rubbing me the wrong way, but that's just me. Still, a lot of skill and talent here.
Posted By: Mark K Re: The Value Of ME - 09/07/19 03:58 PM
As a bit of an engineering nerd myself, I appreciate the math references. You did a great job with the vocals. I did like the Vocaloid version also. Well crafted and produced.
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Value Of ME - 09/08/19 03:43 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
I didn't know the Finns used the American version of the alphabet.
The backing track is pretty funky & cool.
You've treated you vocals quite well.
I like the ideas in your lyric.

Thanks Ray for your positive feedback smile I don't quite get what you mean with your first sentence…

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Value Of ME - 09/08/19 03:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
The lyrics are really fantastic, and I think people perhaps often don't value themselves enough, so it has a great message.
Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Ember for your very kind words about my lyrics smile I'm really glad you found a message there.

Janne
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: The Value Of ME - 09/08/19 03:56 PM
This is WONDERFUL!!! Such a creative lyric, and a jazzy tune that brings it across perfectly! Love everything about it Janne!! Probably my fave of yours! Take care. Greg
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Value Of ME - 09/08/19 03:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"I love the premise of 'The value of me' and how you've worked the concept of 'value' from a maths and measurement perspective and ended up with some very cool lyrics... nice smile And what a backing!!!! It's funky, smooth and very engaging."
Quoting Noel above because it is so well stated and we agree with it!
Janice pointed out she's hearing a bit of a Steely Dan vibe.
A "B7susb5b9/A" chord? That is so far over our heads that it's somewhere in outer space smile
We like this a lot...the cool lyric, laid back vocal and the BiaB parts.
Most enjoyable.
J&B

Thanks Janice and Bud for your kind words, I'm glad you liked it a lot, although my chords are, as usual, from another world smile Extra thanks for mentioning Steely Dan blush

Janne
Posted By: Crossroads Re: The Value Of ME - 09/09/19 04:29 AM
Hi Janne,

this is a very good song! Love the lyrics and the vocals (esp. those BGV parts) are simply excellent . I love the changes of tone of your voice. The solo is perfect chosen.
Very fine harmonic progressions, a great arrangement and a good general flow.
A very enjoyable listen !

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Value Of ME - 09/10/19 04:57 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
This is an excellent set of lyrics and a great vocal. I love the harmonies and the laid back performance.
Much enjoyed!
Bob

Thanks Bob for your kind feedback smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Value Of ME - 09/10/19 04:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nicely done! Really enjoyed the harmonies and the lyrics here. Your vocals soar, and the instrumentation works perfectly with your vocal delivery. It's nicely catchy too, and I thought the mix was concise and professional.
Thanks for sharing smile

Thanks Deryk for your very positive words smile I'm especially glad what you said about my vocals laugh

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Value Of ME - 09/10/19 05:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Fun and humorous tune! I like your "strange" cords, arrangement flows very smoothly. At times, strange chord progressions sound the most interesting...well at least to me. Mix and production is very good.
Thank you for sharing!
Misha.

Thanks Misha for your kind words smile To me, finding strange chords that still work well is one of the most enjoyable things in songwriting, so I'm glad to hear that it sometimes pays off laugh

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Value Of ME - 09/12/19 05:08 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
There was a lot I liked in this. The math kept rubbing me the wrong way, but that's just me. Still, a lot of skill and talent here.

Thanks TuneMonger for your positive words smile Sorry for the mathematical approach to the subject wink

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Value Of ME - 09/12/19 05:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Mark K
As a bit of an engineering nerd myself, I appreciate the math references. You did a great job with the vocals. I did like the Vocaloid version also. Well crafted and produced.

Thanks Mark, glad you were not put off by the math wink You have done good work with the vocaloids, so I appreciate your nice feedback concerning that version too. I like Ruby most from the Vocaloids, it is the clearest Vocaloid to me, although her voice is bit thin and child like.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Value Of ME - 09/12/19 05:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
This is WONDERFUL!!! Such a creative lyric, and a jazzy tune that brings it across perfectly! Love everything about it Janne!! Probably my fave of yours! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg for your kind feedback, I appreciate it very much smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Value Of ME - 09/12/19 05:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
this is a very good song! Love the lyrics and the vocals (esp. those BGV parts) are simply excellent . I love the changes of tone of your voice. The solo is perfect chosen.
Very fine harmonic progressions, a great arrangement and a good general flow.
A very enjoyable listen !
Take care,
Stefan

Thanks Stefan for your positive words smile I'm glad you managed to find so many things to love in my little song, especially my voice. This may have been first time I sang one backing vocal part an octave higher than the rest - I thought it sounded bit awkward, but good that you liked it.

I agree, that soloist is great. In the previous version, I used two different soloist at the same time, they were both good but here I chose something more AOR. BIAB has great selection of super soloist.

Janne
Posted By: animarorecords Re: The Value Of ME - 09/14/19 01:30 AM
Janne,

Excellent Chord Progression!
A very beautiful melody is on a somewhat complicated chord progression.
Exactly Janne Sound.
This tune is one of my favorite in your works.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Value Of ME - 09/14/19 11:48 AM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Excellent Chord Progression!
A very beautiful melody is on a somewhat complicated chord progression.
Exactly Janne Sound.
This tune is one of my favorite in your works.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.
Best regards.
Shigeki Adachi

Thanks Shigeki Adachi for your kind feedback smile I'm very happy that you rank the song high among my songs and that you liked my progression. "Janne Sound" - I really like that description laugh

Janne
Posted By: Jim Re: The Value Of ME - 10/26/19 04:28 PM
Very creative lyrics wrapped in a cool mix...
I enjoyed listening to your tune!
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Value Of ME - 10/26/19 04:37 PM
Excellent! You have a great voice. The instrumentation is super as was the mix. What took it over the top for me were the lyrics. I liked the way you inserted math references into this song. I liked the Pi reference because my password is the last 5 digits of Pi!

This is and excellent song.
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Value Of ME - 10/28/19 12:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim
Very creative lyrics wrapped in a cool mix...
I enjoyed listening to your tune!

Thanks Jim smile

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Excellent! You have a great voice. The instrumentation is super as was the mix. What took it over the top for me were the lyrics. I liked the way you inserted math references into this song. I liked the Pi reference because my password is the last 5 digits of Pi!

This is and excellent song.

Thanks Mario for your very positive words smile Yep, last 5 digits of Pi are very useful in many ways, too bad nobody seems to know what they are wink

Janne
© PG Music Forums