PG Music Home
Posted By: BlueAttitude Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/06/19 09:42 AM
Midnight Romp

This is a remix of an instrumental I did around 10 years ago. I never did anything with it because I wasn't happy with the guitar sound I had, and back then I wasn't using amp sims so difficult to change after the fact without re-recording the entire part which is something I don't like to do do.

But! I have better tools now than I did then so was able to get the guitar part sounding better.

Spoken word and Sax is from Andy Wigzell, someone I knew from another music website that I used to belong to.

For the remix I replaced the BIAB drums with EZDrummer2.

Realtrack Bass: 2285
Realtrack Rhythm guitar: 1102

I used CLA Unplugged on the lead Guitar and Sax (also Blue Cat's Re-Guitar plugin on the guitar), and Neutron 2 on the Bass and Drums.

Mixed with Reaper, mastered with Ozone8.

Song is also up on SoundCloud, here: https://soundcloud.com/blue-attitude/midnight-romp-instrumental

All comments appreciated!

EDIT: Doubled the rhythm guitar and panned right during the Sax solo as per an excellent suggestion from floyd.

Photo of the sax player is from Victor Freitas at Pexels.com
Wow - nice work! Love the groove on this, and the upbeat vibes. I can imagine it filling a dancefloor in seconds flat. All the instruments play off one another perfectly, and it really makes for an engaging listen.

Thanks for sharing smile
Dave & Andy...

Nice!

A terrific listen. Y'all both did an excellent job on your respective parts.

Well played, good balance of back-and-forth. A good mix. The sax has a great sound. So does the guitar (I think!). During the sax solo from 1:23- 1:50(ish) doubling those gentle hits with another on the right side would be nice for some "balance" there... Ah, Andy's "vocals" are cool, too..

Super instrumental.

fj
The spoken word adds a really cool effect to this song. I definitely think it suits the song.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/06/19 06:44 PM
Dave

That was certainly worth the effort. Sounds excellent to me. Some wonderful playing by both of you,and the guitar sounds lovely. Some serious back and forth and the whole song is infectious.

Top notch.

Peter
Posted By: rsdean Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/06/19 08:53 PM
Dave,

Love this! It sounds like you guys were transported back to 1948 - an awesome sound!

Great mix and tremendous playing...

Bob
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/06/19 09:50 PM
Dave & Andy,
That was super cool! Instrumentals are a killer! I wish there would be more spoken word elements in random, unexpected places smile
Very nice resurrection! Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/07/19 05:20 AM
Big Fun! I'm not the "tone expert", but the licks were fluid and purposeful. Really enjoyed the back-and-forth between guitar and sax. He can sure play, and his spoken intro set this for me. Much enjoyed.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/07/19 10:36 AM
Very cool tune Dave. Guitar was just awesome. Sax and guitar playing back and forth to each other was just awesome. Well done.
Posted By: Mark K Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/07/19 04:43 PM
Professional sounding production. The bits of spoken vocal worked well - wished for more. Enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/07/19 05:33 PM
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!!!

Wow!

Two guys that know their stuff having fun and we are all the better for it!

Cookin'!

As they say in S Georgia...stronger than a garlic milkshake!

Love every thing about it.

J&B
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/07/19 07:16 PM
Transported back to a bluesy 50s sound,big dance band …big hall...big event big playing...big production....big well That's some brilliant playing and sound I rest my case .

Loved it !!.
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/07/19 09:24 PM
Hi Dave,

That is a true brilliant piece of music! I was sitting here, sipping on a glass of red wine and accidentally pushed the glass out of pure excitement while listening to your tune. What a mess I made on the table... but listening to your music while cleaning made life much better for me!

Thanks for sharing that gem from the past!
Will
Posted By: dcuny Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/07/19 11:17 PM
Goodness gracious! Fun tune! smile
Posted By: rayc Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/08/19 12:54 AM
That's swinging cool.
Nice work - love the parpping.
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - nice work! Love the groove on this, and the upbeat vibes. I can imagine it filling a dancefloor in seconds flat. All the instruments play off one another perfectly, and it really makes for an engaging listen.

Thanks for sharing smile

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
The spoken word adds a really cool effect to this song. I definitely think it suits the song.

Thanks, guys!
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Dave & Andy...

Nice!

A terrific listen. Y'all both did an excellent job on your respective parts.

Well played, good balance of back-and-forth. A good mix. The sax has a great sound. So does the guitar (I think!). During the sax solo from 1:23- 1:50(ish) doubling those gentle hits with another on the right side would be nice for some "balance" there... Ah, Andy's "vocals" are cool, too..

Super instrumental.

fj

Hi floyd,

Re: the guitar; I downloaded the demo of this new plugin from Blue Cat that is supposed to model one type of guitar to make it sound like another, tele to gibson, gibson to acoustic, etc.
Mostly I think it is doing some complicated EQ changes and adding some harmonics. It is designed to be used on a guitar signal that has been recorded direct but I thought I would try it on the guitar part for this song, which was a strat recorded through a Line6 PODxt. It never sounded "right" for the song, too bright and harsh. But the blue cat plugin really smoothed things out and made it sound more jazz guitar like IMHO.

Thanks for the suggestion about adding the other rhythm guitar panned right during the sax solo, worked a treat smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/08/19 06:52 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Dave

That was certainly worth the effort. Sounds excellent to me. Some wonderful playing by both of you,and the guitar sounds lovely. Some serious back and forth and the whole song is infectious.

Top notch.

Peter

Thanks Peter!

I have a bunch more that I did back in the day that I might bring back to life. Christiane is on vacation for a month, so I need something to keep me busy!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/08/19 07:04 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Dave,

Love this! It sounds like you guys were transported back to 1948 - an awesome sound!

Great mix and tremendous playing...

Bob

Hey Bob,

My dad was really into big band music and swing, and I heard lots of it growing up. Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Glenn Miller .... I love all those guys.

Thanks, I'm happy you liked this one!
Posted By: Seb Craig Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/08/19 08:46 AM
Sounds good to me, Dave!

Great synergy between sax and guitar riffs. Masterful grooves with an upbeat fervor that gives the tune a timeless feel.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/08/19 06:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Dave & Andy,
That was super cool! Instrumentals are a killer! I wish there would be more spoken word elements in random, unexpected places smile
Very nice resurrection! Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Thanks for the support, Misha, I appreciate it! smile
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/08/19 07:20 PM
Dave,
Infectious is a good description already used- its cool to hear another style of your playing that`s pure fun.
Wonderful interplay with the saxman!

Robert
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/08/19 10:46 PM
Really nice, guys! Definitely a lot of fun here!

Great job. Like this one a lot.

Steve
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/09/19 05:26 AM
Hi Dave,

Midnight Romp - Daytime Fun. That is just awesome. A leap back in time, but sounding as freshky as can be. Like your guitar abilities a LOT (said that before), and Andy sure knows how to blow that thing, too.

Toe-tapping, head-nodding, finger-snapping, ear-wiggling, butt-shaking stuff - LOVED IT SO MUCH !!!!

All the best,

Stefan
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/09/19 07:29 AM
Hi Dave,

While listening to your song, I imagined me sitting in that old brown pub, almost empty, and me only with my beer...
And then this music starts playing. I shove my feet under the table, take a big sip and relaxed. But with a smile, that wasn't there before. Got the picture? That's what this song did to me.

So very nicely done. I enjoyed it, although Valentines Way is still unbeaten!

Hans
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/09/19 02:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Big Fun! I'm not the "tone expert", but the licks were fluid and purposeful. Really enjoyed the back-and-forth between guitar and sax. He can sure play, and his spoken intro set this for me. Much enjoyed.

Yeah, I love that intro too. Wasn't expecting the vocal track, I thought he was just going to send me a sax track. I'll have to see if he is still around, been many years since I last talked to him.

Happy you enjoyed this!

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool tune Dave. Guitar was just awesome. Sax and guitar playing back and forth to each other was just awesome. Well done.

Thanks, Scott!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/09/19 02:35 PM
THAT is cool stuff.

Juking groove. Nice, lovely clean tone. Very well put together and my only nit if there is one is that the drums, especially in the fill, need to be louder.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/10/19 06:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Mark K
Professional sounding production. The bits of spoken vocal worked well - wished for more. Enjoyed the listen.

Thanks, Mark!

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!!!

Wow!

Two guys that know their stuff having fun and we are all the better for it!

Cookin'!

As they say in S Georgia...stronger than a garlic milkshake!

Love every thing about it.

J&B

Hi Bud and Janice,

I listened to lots of swing when I was young, my dad was a big fan. Some of it rubbed off on me I guess smile

I'm happy you liked this one!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/11/19 05:32 AM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Transported back to a bluesy 50s sound,big dance band …big hall...big event big playing...big production....big well That's some brilliant playing and sound I rest my case .

Loved it !!.

Thanks, Beatmaster!

Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Hi Dave,

That is a true brilliant piece of music! I was sitting here, sipping on a glass of red wine and accidentally pushed the glass out of pure excitement while listening to your tune. What a mess I made on the table... but listening to your music while cleaning made life much better for me!

Thanks for sharing that gem from the past!
Will

Happy you liked this one, Will!

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Goodness gracious! Fun tune! smile

Thanks, David!

Originally Posted By: rayc
That's swinging cool.
Nice work - love the parpping.

Cheers, Ray!

Originally Posted By: Seb Craig
Sounds good to me, Dave!

Great synergy between sax and guitar riffs. Masterful grooves with an upbeat fervor that gives the tune a timeless feel.

Thanks for stopping by, Seg, and welcome to the forum!

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Dave,
Infectious is a good description already used- its cool to hear another style of your playing that`s pure fun.
Wonderful interplay with the saxman!

Robert

Thanks for the listen and comment, Robert!

Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Really nice, guys! Definitely a lot of fun here!

Great job. Like this one a lot.

Steve

Thanks, Steve!

Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/12/19 11:31 AM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Dave,

Midnight Romp - Daytime Fun. That is just awesome. A leap back in time, but sounding as freshky as can be. Like your guitar abilities a LOT (said that before), and Andy sure knows how to blow that thing, too.

Toe-tapping, head-nodding, finger-snapping, ear-wiggling, butt-shaking stuff - LOVED IT SO MUCH !!!!

All the best,

Stefan

I thought you might like this one, and always great to get feedback from a fellow guitarist. Thanks, Stefan!

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Dave,

While listening to your song, I imagined me sitting in that old brown pub, almost empty, and me only with my beer...
And then this music starts playing. I shove my feet under the table, take a big sip and relaxed. But with a smile, that wasn't there before. Got the picture? That's what this song did to me.

So very nicely done. I enjoyed it, although Valentines Way is still unbeaten!

Hans

Thanks, Hans!

Well, I'm sure we will do more Rock Ballads in the future. Next one up is a blues/rock tune though, just waiting for Chris to get back from her vacation.

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
THAT is cool stuff.

Juking groove. Nice, lovely clean tone. Very well put together and my only nit if there is one is that the drums, especially in the fill, need to be louder.

Appreciate the listen and comments, Herb!

I think you are right about the drums. I bumped them up 2db and will revisit the mix again if I decide to do more with this song.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/12/19 12:14 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

....adding the other rhythm guitar panned right during the sax solo, worked a treat smile

Yes!!
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/12/19 09:18 PM
Great guitar, sounded like J Geils Bluestime (post J Geils band). Could listen to that all night.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/13/19 09:01 PM
Very sweet stuff!!! Great playing, great vibe!! Love Andy's playing (and yours of course) as well as his spoken lead-in. Wonderful!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/14/19 06:55 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

....adding the other rhythm guitar panned right during the sax solo, worked a treat smile

Yes!!

wink

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Great guitar, sounded like J Geils Bluestime (post J Geils band). Could listen to that all night.

Not familiar with his work post J Geils band, will need to check that out. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very sweet stuff!!! Great playing, great vibe!! Love Andy's playing (and yours of course) as well as his spoken lead-in. Wonderful!!! Take care. Greg

Thanks for stopping by, Greg!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/14/19 10:32 AM
Hi Dave,

This is an incredible listen! The music is lively, Andy's sax playing immediately captures the imagination, and your guitar work gleams! In addition, your production chops are superb. The clarity of each component of this mix is a real credit to you. The audio quality that I heard is the epitome of "first class production".

This song would be at home on any radio station or TV/film placement anywhere around the world.

You are certainly a master craftsman!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 09/15/19 05:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Dave,

This is an incredible listen! The music is lively, Andy's sax playing immediately captures the imagination, and your guitar work gleams! In addition, your production chops are superb. The clarity of each component of this mix is a real credit to you. The audio quality that I heard is the epitome of "first class production".

This song would be at home on any radio station or TV/film placement anywhere around the world.

You are certainly a master craftsman!

All the best,
Noel

Wonderful review, thanks, Noel! smile
Posted By: Jim Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 10/26/19 04:37 PM
Excellently crafted swinging tune...
I'm glad you shared with us what goes on after midnight!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Midnight Romp (instrumental) - 10/26/19 04:55 PM
Dave, you play a mean axe! Your chops were outstanding as was your guitar tone; that Blue Cat's Re-Guitar plugin was a great find wasn't it! That sax guitar interplay was spot on, but that happens when two excellent musicians get together. Your mix was perfect.

A number of people remarked about this sounding like a song in the late 40s and 50s but to me it sounded like a Brian Setzer song.

Midnight Romp, I think that you should stay but late more often!

You two should be very proud of this.
© PG Music Forums