PG Music Home
Posted By: Rick Hansen American Child - 09/10/19 02:47 PM
Once again I have used the awesome BIB to compose and tweak and then I rendered into Studio One. I kept the Dobro and acoustic guitar tracks and fleshed out with live and VSTi's. Any comments on the mix would be most appreciated, the lyrics are 99% done and I like this mix best.

https://soundcloud.com/rick-hansen-170345161/american-child

Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: American Child - 09/11/19 10:57 AM
Nicely done, Rickey! Love the upbeat groove, and the chord progressions are on point. I thought you did a great job on the mix too. It sounds professional and concise. It has a really nice modern feel to it.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Rick Hansen Re: American Child - 09/11/19 03:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback. The Groove tempo is right out of BIB, I just used different drums.I have become so comfortable composing in BIB that I can't even imagine doing it any other way.

Rick
Posted By: Tangmo Re: American Child - 09/12/19 05:20 AM
Very well constructed. It felt "right" structurally and the progression is solid. I like the band--very upbeat with sweet drums and leads. Definitely "lyric-ready". Best wishes.

As per the mix. To my ears, the leads seemed a little hot in the overall mix. The final "master" may also be going for more loudness than is required. I'm not the mix-master, but I think you could lower the guitar and piano a bit and get a better blend.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: American Child - 09/12/19 12:19 PM
Sounds good to me, Rick...
Posted By: Scott C Re: American Child - 09/13/19 10:55 AM
Very nice backtrack. Cool chord progressions. Well done. Cant wait to hear the lyrics
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: American Child - 09/13/19 09:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very nice backtrack. Cool chord progressions. Well done. Cant wait to hear the lyrics

Yes, everything sounds REALLY good! Anxious to hear the final product! Take care. Greg
Posted By: rayc Re: American Child - 09/13/19 09:43 PM
This gallops along nicely - what are the "live" instruments?
Posted By: Mark K Re: American Child - 09/13/19 11:10 PM
Enjoyed the listen. Yes, it is ready to add your vocals - looking forward to listening again when you do.
Posted By: Rick Hansen Re: American Child - 09/14/19 02:02 PM
The "live" tracks are Organ, Bass, Lead Guitar, Crunch Guitar and Synth. VSTi's are drums and Piano and BIB provides Rhythm Guitar and Dobro. The Rhythm guitar provided most of the "glue" for the song and composition structure. I really had to try and not add some COWBELL !!!!LOL

Rick
Posted By: Robertkc Re: American Child - 09/14/19 07:11 PM
Rick,
Good rocking backtrack for a song in progress ( with an interesting title).
You don`t credit the live performers- all you?
Look forward to the vocals.

Robert
Posted By: Rick Hansen Re: American Child - 09/14/19 07:43 PM
All me...learning more everyday. I grew up on guitar, fell madly in love with the bass and my mother made me take a couple of piano lessons back in Jersey so I can dabble here and there. Glad you liked it, that means a lot.

Rick
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: American Child - 11/08/19 02:00 PM
Rick, nice tune that should work great behind a good vocal. Interesting choice of instruments, especially the drums! They all seem to mesh together in a cohesive unit! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Noel96 Re: American Child - 11/11/19 07:12 AM
Hi Rick,

This sounds great!!!

I love the chord progression that you've used and your choice of instruments is super.

As I'm sitting here listening, the thought passed through my mind that I'd like to hear the bass 1 - 2 dB louder and to compare it to this version and see what the difference sounds like.

I enjoyed the journey!
Noel
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: American Child - 11/11/19 08:09 AM
Rick, you've made exceptional use of the talented musicians in your arsenal.

This could just as easily be Floyd Cramer. Great delivery start to finish.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: American Child - 11/11/19 01:53 PM
Nice soundstage on our monitors...

Enjoyed it.

J&B
Posted By: Jim Re: American Child - 11/11/19 05:54 PM
Great backing track...
Where's the lyrics & vocals...
Its begging for them!
BTW...
I read your profile...
And you do pretty well musically for a "Beach Bum" smile!
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: American Child - 11/11/19 06:19 PM
Every thing sounds fine to me.
Good production. Rob4580
Posted By: Rick Hansen Re: American Child - 11/11/19 06:39 PM
Thank you all for the encouragement, I am humbled with the talent here.

Rick
Posted By: dcuny Re: American Child - 11/11/19 06:46 PM
Sounds excellent. smile

Of course, that mix balance goes out the window once the vocals are added. wink
Posted By: sslechta Re: American Child - 11/11/19 07:00 PM
Loved your instrumental version Rick. Reminded me a lot of what a Bob Seger track from the 70s would sound like. Looking forward to hearing your version with vocals.
© PG Music Forums