PG Music Home
Posted By: edshaw Are You Washed in the Blood? - 09/14/19 11:51 PM
Are You Washed in the Blood?
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Are You Washed in the Blood? - 09/15/19 11:23 AM
A nice rendition, Ed. The vocals are loud and clear. Sounds like it was recorded live in a chapel...
Posted By: bluage Re: Are You Washed in the Blood? - 09/15/19 07:13 PM
Mr. Shaw...

Your singing, the accompanying, sparse instrumentation, the time-stopping tempo, the heavenly reverb FX and the familiar lyrics combined to create a soul-stirring, spiritually reassuring performance.

Thank you for it.

- bluage -
Posted By: edshaw Re: Are You Washed in the Blood? - 09/15/19 10:25 PM
Floyd, I certainly appreciate how fine tuned this ears of this forum are. Suppose that's a consequence of so much recording? Well, what you hear there results from isolating the vocal track in mastering mode, 1) bringing down the treble and upping the bass with EQ. The real change was came from 2) Using the multi band compression feature to adjust the voice volume in three ranges of the track, high medium and low. With the 3 options, I was able to adjust voice deficiencies and get the volume just where it ought. You know what a challenge levels have been for me.
Bluage, thank you for that kind response. Right you are, I have three elements: BB backing, Voice, Guitar. That permits me to mess around like you read about above while keeping it under control.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Are You Washed in the Blood? - 09/16/19 11:38 AM
Wow - I thought this was a powerful rendition smile It has a rustic feeling to it, but it actually suits the song really well. It has an almost haunting quality to it, I found.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Are You Washed in the Blood? - 09/17/19 07:55 AM
Super mix Ed. Loved this. I think this is my favorite tune of yours. Sounds like you are standing at the altar in the church. Well done
Posted By: edshaw Re: Are You Washed in the Blood? - 09/19/19 07:27 PM
Thank you, Good Fellows. You're too kind. For my next trick, I will introduce the sound of the actual PRS Standard, Made in USA, as opposed to the SE Santana on the previous tracks. The mike is a $48 Shure. It's not that I don't have better.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Are You Washed in the Blood? - 09/19/19 08:11 PM
Ed,
I`m with Floyd,this sounds like a church recording... and the feeling of your vocal made me think I`d walked into you singing to a congregation of one!
Timeless.

Robert
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Are You Washed in the Blood? - 09/19/19 09:25 PM
This song has an almost classic or timeless feel to it. It was really neat. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Are You Washed in the Blood? - 09/22/19 03:04 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
A nice rendition, Ed. The vocals are loud and clear. Sounds like it was recorded live in a chapel...

I agree!! Nicely done Ed!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: edshaw Re: Are You Washed in the Blood? - 09/22/19 09:50 PM
Thanks for the listens and kind comments, Forum Pals. Your comments help me prioritize impacts going forward. I'll be careful to try and preserve as much authenticity whilst continuing to tweak production values. Certainly YouTube has been experiencing an increase in traditional gospel content lately, by the way.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Are You Washed in the Blood? - 10/01/19 12:06 AM
Hi Ed,

I'm sitting here listening to you sing while I type.

This is an excellent performance.

I can hear and clearly understand every word you are singing. For me, the signature of all your work is the sincerity that underlies all your presentations and this one is up there with the very best of them. As floyd indicated, it sounds like you are using the natural acoustics of a fine cathedral and the effect is terrific, inspirational even.

I really enjoyed this journey.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Are You Washed in the Blood? - 10/01/19 02:42 PM
Well done Ed!

For a sparse (all you need) arrangement it sounds HUGE on our monitors.

As so many mentioned...like it was recorded in a church with great acoustics.

Nice!

J&B
Posted By: edshaw Re: Are You Washed in the Blood? - 10/04/19 07:50 AM
Thank you, Janice and Bud, for those kind words. Ah, the joy of a good monitor! A pair of CVS 1000 watt CP-8s changed my life. And my checkbook. And, right you are, I have settled on a simple formula: BB, vocal, guitar, overflow, two tracks each. (I know, now I need the 16 track frown Seriously, thank you for that monitoring. You know how I struggle with final render.
Hey, do you guys know, just up the road from you, (like Western N.C.)
https://www.soundslikereign.com/studio
Inspiring story for us all. I think they started with silo singing and apparently it got out of hand.

Posted By: beatmaster Re: Are You Washed in the Blood? - 10/04/19 04:35 PM
Sounds like you are standing at the altar in the church.

I honestly did think it was recorded In the church nicely done.

Thanks
© PG Music Forums