PG Music Home
Posted By: JoanneCooper Clear and Serene - 09/16/19 03:21 AM
Hello music lovers

As some of you may know I am (sort of) taking part in 50 90 songwriting challenge. I know I am not going to get anywhere close to 50 but am hoping for at least a few new songs. I am generally putting music to the wonderful lyrics of others on this fantastic forum. Cindy Prince is up to 213 and counting! She is a perfect example of how writing a lot makes you better. Her lyrics are just getting better all the time.

I want to thank all who have listened and commented on my other 50 90 songs. I have read and taken note of each comment but don't want to bump the threads.

I seem to have been listening to a bit of Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (my current favourite song to jam live with Lebz and other musicians is "Will the Circle be Unbroken") so this one has a Nitty Gritty influence.

Lyrics again by Cindy Prince

https://soundcloud.com/joannecoopersa/clear-and-serene-lyrics-by-cindy-prince

Before I was in a fog
But with you I see clear
I feel light and love too
Every time you are near

I felt so lost and alone
Now the sun shines its light
Wish that I would have known
Now my life seems so right

Chorus
Things are clear and serene
Today, tomorrow and in between
Just Like romantic movie scenes
You make me feel clear and serene

Im not sure what fate holds
I'll keep holding you close
life is ready to unfold
I'm so glad it's me you chose

Repeat chorus

RealTracks:

RealTracks in style: 2421:Bass, Acoustic, RockabillySlapBoomChicka Ev16 100
RealTracks in style: 2708:Autoharp, Rhythm OldTime Ev16 110
RealTracks in style: 2517:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking BoomChickHighJoe Ev16 110 (Simple)
RealTracks in style: 2518:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking BoomChickJoe Ev16 110 (Simple)
RealDrums [in style:TrainBeatBrushes: a: Brushes, Kickb: BusyBrushes, Kick
RT1601:Mandolin, Rhythm Pop16Melodic Ev 065

If anybody is interested in how I did the melody/guitar thing in the instrumental I did a post on the Facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BIABusers

Comments and feedback is always much appreciated.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Clear and Serene - 09/16/19 04:28 AM
Joanne

Nice work and the harmonies are lovely.

Peter
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Clear and Serene - 09/16/19 05:57 AM
Hi Joanne,

You've done a great job with Cindy's words.

I found this very easy on the ears. Your composing shines and your arrangement kept me involved and entertained. And kudos on your vocals, too. Your singing overflowed with clarity and your harmonies were excellent.

All in all, very enjoyable listening!
Noel
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Clear and Serene - 09/16/19 07:30 AM
Hi Joanne,

Couldn't translate 'to bump the threads' in a proper way, but I think I know what you mean with that.
You have taken quite a challenge with writing so much songs! Do you want to beat Cindy? Do my songs with you in it counts too? Then I have some. Maybe you win ;-)

But about your song Clear and Serene: Although it's not a Joan Baez-type of song, it a very nice, easy-listening (love)song. And you performed very well with it. With (of course) very clear vocals and harmony. Enjoyed it,

Hans
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Clear and Serene - 09/16/19 12:50 PM
Joanne (and Cindy),

A very pleasant write - both lyric and melody.

Your production chops are really shining here. And a good mix.

Might be one of your best recorded/mixed vocals ever - "comfortable" and in-the-pocket. Good harmonies, too.

fj
Posted By: rayc Re: Clear and Serene - 09/16/19 09:58 PM
Ah, that voice, those harmonies - must be Ms. cooper.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Clear and Serene - 09/17/19 09:48 AM
Oh wow - what a tune smile Your harmonies are absolutely beautiful on this. Incredibly lush, and the mix work on it is phenomenal too. It's truly like candy for the ears. Love the upbeat vibes on it - it was hard to listen and not be instantly put in a better mood.

You should be proud of this one - thanks so much for sharing!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Clear and Serene - 09/17/19 01:10 PM
Joanne,
A sweet singalong song set up nicely by those boomchick guitars and the bass.
I agree with the praise for your vocal and the quality/balance of lead with harmonies- amazing!

Robert
Posted By: edshaw Re: Clear and Serene - 09/18/19 12:02 AM
Very nice. I just happened to be listening to some old Linda Ronstadt and Emmy Lou Harris duets this afternoon...then, this!
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Clear and Serene - 09/18/19 07:03 PM
Oh, that was such a pleasure to listen to. Perfection! I'm watching Ken Burns' Country Music documentary right now and that would fit right in.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Clear and Serene - 09/18/19 10:22 PM
Joanne & Cindy

Sweet track! Lyrics worked very well. Vocal performance / recording - top tier! Excellent all around, especially considering "challenge" write.
Mandolin added magical touch, but I do think autoharp is a bit too strong at couple of places.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Clear and Serene - 09/19/19 10:23 AM
Excellent song. I get the sing a long vibe as well. Lovely lyric and very cool backtrack. Super vocal. Well done
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Clear and Serene - 09/19/19 12:37 PM

We enjoyed this production. You and Cindy work well together. The harmony is really well mixed -- as are the backing tracks.

Nice!!

J&B

PS:
"I want to thank all who have listened and commented on my other 50 90 songs. I have read and taken note of each comment but don't want to bump the threads."

I think you should have no concern about bumping your threads. That's the difference in a forum and social media platforms which are so transient you never catch half of what comes through. Given how many songs are posted nowadays that is even more reason to keep yours active for a while. Heck some folks have posted more songs in six weeks than we have in the past six years!
Posted By: jannesan Re: Clear and Serene - 09/19/19 12:47 PM
Nice folky tune with positive feeling. Enjoyable clear vocals and the simple arrangement remind me of Eddie Reader songs.

Janne
Posted By: dani48 Re: Clear and Serene - 09/19/19 04:57 PM
Hi, Jo !

What a lovely tune this and so
serenely sung ! One of your
absolute best ! My Jofav
from now on !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Clear and Serene - 09/22/19 02:55 PM
Really pretty folky thing!! I can hear the Nitty Gritty influence....also love "Will the circle...". This is really a great mix and vocal.....wonderful!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Mark K Re: Clear and Serene - 09/22/19 07:59 PM
Great harmony with level between lead and harmony just right. Well recorded and clear. Enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Clear and Serene - 09/23/19 10:35 AM
Nice job on this. Co-writes are cool things.

Yep, I can hear the NGDB in the vibe. I used to listen to NGDB quite a bit.

Excellent work on the production end of things too.

Thumbs up....!!
© PG Music Forums