PG Music Home
Posted By: Tangmo On Third Thought - 09/20/19 10:45 AM
Though it's an instrumental, I hope it's not too "jammy". This started in BIAB playing again with modal progressions. There are two passes of three sections (roughly equal) in which I tried to follow the same progression in Major, Phrygian, and Mixolydian. Each ends resolved to tonic. Where it worked, I kept it. Where it didn't, I changed it. It ends on a Idim (Cdim) which, if you're keeping score, is a I (C) Locrian. This came out. BIAB is wonderful.

EDIT: Of course everyone is free to comment in any way they see fit. If you want to convince me or others that it is not important to know any theory to write songs/music...you're preaching to the choir. If it sounds good, it IS good.

But what if you want to write a piece using theory? That's what I attempted to do here. I'm no expert. Outside the key of C and without my charts, I'm completely lost. A year ago, I knew even less. But I'm learning, so I wanted to run an experiment. I didn't know how it would turn out. Now I do. I input the chords and BIAB delivered a piece that moved me emotionally. Who'da thunk it? BIAB made it "fun". BIAB made it possible, in my case.

So please don't think I'm just showing off (except the results of the experiment). I just had a nutty idea to "hear" if what I'd been learning was "true". It is. If it doesn't move you, I understand. If it does, thank "theory".

https://soundcloud.com/user-47797156/on-third-thought-1

Style is _ADAMANT.STY (Adamant Gtr Solo Pop Rock Ballad)

RealTracks in style: 1190:Bass, Electric, ModernRnBRock Ev 065
RealTracks in style: 3196:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopBalladBrent Ev 065
RealTracks in style: 2643:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModernPopHardHighMurray Ev16 075
RealTracks in style: 2644:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModernPopHardMurray Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 1949:Piano, Acoustic, Soloist PopRootsyJohn Ev16 100
RealTracks in song: 3267:Cello, Background CelticAirFlowingNatalie Ev 085
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2058:Strings, Rhythm CelticAir Ev 085
RealDrums [in style:RockNorthern^4-a:Snare, Loose HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

I rendered more than one take of both solo guitar and piano. It's possible I replaced one of the rhythm guitars with another one, but I don't have notes.

Mixed in Reaper till my ears bled. Mastered with Ozone 8 Elements.

The title comes from the mental state when one begins to think he or she might be wrong even while in the midst of making an argument. Humbling. Let the mood carry you more than anything.
Enjoy, if possible.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: On Third Thought - 09/20/19 07:09 PM
Very sweet production.
Really enjoyed the drums.
Nicely done Tangmo. Rob4580
Posted By: beatmaster Re: On Third Thought - 09/20/19 07:16 PM
Tangmo

There are two passes of three sections (roughly equal) in which I tried to follow the same progression in Major, Phrygian, and Mixolydian. Each ends resolved to tonic. Where it worked, I kept it. Where it didn't, I changed it. It ends on a Idim (Cdim) which, if you're keeping score

I enjoyed this , and I am intrigued to read the txt from the post, honest I'm baffled to what you are on about ?. to me if it sounds right , plays right, feels right. Well its right

Tangmo..Mixed in Reaper till my ears bled. Mastered with Ozone 8 Elements.

Now this I do Understand !!.

Take Care.

Thanks
Posted By: dcuny Re: On Third Thought - 09/21/19 01:19 AM
Enjoyed!

The lack of an intro was a bit jolting, and perhaps there was a bit too much going on at one time.

But I enjoyed it anyway. smile
Posted By: Deej56 Re: On Third Thought - 09/21/19 02:08 AM
Tangmo,

I generally shy away from instrumentals . . . but this one shows the power of a great title. “On Third Thought” (awesome title) in itself reveals a sense of the story and helps pulls the listener into the mood of the instrumental, such that they can imagine the story those instruments are telling. And everything throughout is executed so well. Nicely, nicely done!

My best regards,

Deej
Posted By: rayc Re: On Third Thought - 09/21/19 03:53 AM
That sounds pretty flash - it's begging for a melody & lyrics though.
I'm not fussed on the distorted rhythm guitar but otherwise your exercise produced some cool stuff.
Posted By: jannesan Re: On Third Thought - 09/21/19 04:59 PM
I really enjoyed the progression, it's very interesting and melodic without sounding arty. Mysterious and positive with some short moments of melancholy. The band supports the progression excellently, especially the piano and the solo guitarist.

Janne
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: On Third Thought - 09/22/19 03:22 PM
Cool song!!!! "Theoretically" (just teasing). I know a little bit of music theory. It seems to me that theory tells you more where not to go than where to go, and the basic concepts make a lot of sense in terms of what the ear "wants to hear". Anyway, enough blathering....This is REALLY COOL!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: On Third Thought - 09/22/19 04:36 PM
Tangmo,

This sounds good to me. A good listen throughout. Very good mix.

Knowing nothing about music, Phrygian, Mixolydian and Locrian always sound like mythical characters to me... So, I thought this fit that well - sounds like the score for a movie of the gods...

fj
Posted By: Noel96 Re: On Third Thought - 09/22/19 06:17 PM
Hi Tangmo,

This appealed to me and I enjoyed the journey you took me. The mix is great and the arrangement is inventive... nice. The collection of Realtracks that you've used work really well together. I love the title!

It's thumbs up from me! (I hope your ears are better. Mixing does indeed take its toll in many ways.)

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: On Third Thought - 09/22/19 08:37 PM
Tangmo,
Bloody ears.. or bleeding ears a perfect name for a punk band! (I am sure it was used more than once) Theory and I are very far apart, it is not a "divorce", but a long distance relationship, I can only speak on behalf of consciousness. "On Third Thought" sounded big and thoughtful. Kept me interested to the end. Very cool progression. Production and mix is very good and clear.
Since you are open to the comments, I thought that drums were a bit overwhelming for this composition. They kind of overpower all the rest of things, which I feel are more important than rhythm here.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: bluage Re: On Third Thought - 09/23/19 01:22 AM
Hello, 'tangmo'...

Concerning your thoughts about exploring music theory, I'll repeat what the late, great Miles Davis has been credited with saying: "You gotta learn the rules, to break the rules".

I get a sensuous thrill from listening to music that's got a lot of chordal movement in it. It makes music sound adventurous, heady, and colorful. I felt the same way about your instrumental composition, On Third Thought.

You 'hope it's not to "jammy" ??? Well, good gawd a'mighty, there, Mr. Tangmo, whut'd'ja go an' say a thang like that fer ??? smile Far as I'm concerned, I'm a "Hot damn, Sam, let's get down 'n' jam !!!" kind of guy. I'm thinking that maybe you approached your rock ballad composition in an orchestral frame-of-mind, as Pete Townshend did with his opera, Tommy.

Regardless, you sent me on an interesting, musically wayfaring voyage with On Third Thought.

Thanks for the ride !!! laugh

- bluage -
Posted By: PeterF Re: On Third Thought - 09/23/19 07:24 AM
Enjoyed that. Quite an interesting ride all the way through.

Very interesting work.

Peter
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: On Third Thought - 09/23/19 08:02 AM
Hey Tang,

Not too jammy for me, probably because you chose a melodic soloist.

Progression is pretty cool, I liked the way it moved.

Good instrumental, I enjoyed it!
Posted By: Crossroads Re: On Third Thought - 09/24/19 05:50 AM
Hi Tangmo,

it sound good and it IS good.

From the point of view of someone (like me) who does not actually know what he is doing when he's writing songs this work is something like a raised index finger: 'Boy, see how it would pay off if you had a close look at the theory of harmony!'

I have to admit that I didn't understand much of what you explained (shame on me!), but the result of your studies is just perplexingly awesome. Enjoyed every millisecond of it. Wow !

Really, really looking forward to your next 'attack' - keep 'em coming !!!!!

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: Scott C Re: On Third Thought - 09/24/19 10:47 AM
Guitar was excellent. Very cool listen. Well done.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: On Third Thought - 09/24/19 12:21 PM
Nicely done smile It flows tremendously well and has some nice dark tones to, I found. I didn't think it came off sounding jam-like, personally. I found it to sound very cohesive and full.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: On Third Thought - 09/24/19 04:38 PM
Enjoyed the backstory even if it was several fathoms above our heads smile

Like Dave mentioned the soloist is melodic enough not to take off into deep jam territory...nice choice.

We like the mystique of the whole production...is it up or is it down or is it both...it evokes lots of feelings.

Nice BiaB band showoff in the showcase! Mix sounds excellent on the monitors.

J&B
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: On Third Thought - 09/24/19 07:12 PM
After reading your intro, I was apprehensive about listening. But it was engaging and I enjoyed it. Great job, do some more after you've had a break!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: On Third Thought - 09/25/19 09:54 AM
Smooth and captivating. Really liked some to the key changes. Unique and innovative.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: On Third Thought - 09/25/19 01:17 PM
I admit instrumentals often get me drifting into lyric ideas... the changes in yours kybosh that tendency and kept me alert.This is one I`d have to employ the chord mapper to get what`s going on, especially bits I like and might "borrow"!
The melodic guitar keeps it together; the drums a little heavy for my taste.

Robert
Posted By: Mark K Re: On Third Thought - 09/28/19 01:22 PM
Changing of the modes is a good way to change the mood of the song; Ionian (major) is "happy", Phrygian is "dark", Mixylodian is "happy, but serious". Enjoyed how your song took advantage of these mood swings by changing the mode. The ending on Idim (Locrian) definitely gives a bit of unnerving feel and I think makes the song more memorable not resolving on the familiar major chord (from Ionian or Mixylodian)or minor chord (from Phrygian.) Enjoyed the listen and chance to use my music theory while listening.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: On Third Thought - 09/28/19 05:30 PM
Tangmo,

Musically this is very clever.

Intuitive, classy, surprising with anticipation and tension.

You've really have done justice to your song.
Posted By: Jim Re: On Third Thought - 10/27/19 01:43 PM
You've created a nice one here...
That's the neat thing about music...
Every song can be an experiment...
Keep experimenting & learning
Posted By: bluage Re: On Third Thought - 10/27/19 09:19 PM
Howdy, 'tangmo'...

I dig musical 'experiments', 'cause I regard the experimenters as questing souls who are not only trying to expand the boundaries of their theoretical musical knowledge, but also are following a path that their spirit is leading them on. As I've said on the Users' forum before, "music is more than sounds".

But as sounds go, your piece reminds me of the modal approach that the late film music composer, Fred Myrow, applied to his score for the 1972 sci-fi film, Soylent Green. His music for that movie has the same 'shape-shifting' feel that On Third Thought has: chordally restless, always seeking a higher musical ground, finding consonance in dissonance, and more.

I think On Third Thought is a novel, quietly other-wordly musical journey that also evokes some finely-felt emotions of the sublime kind. It could've gone on forever, as far as I'm concerned.

LOREN (a.k.a. 'bluage')

P.S. The 'jammy' thing -- you did not desire it to be such??? I think it provides a rhythmic base that sort of grounds and connects the modal flights of musical fancy you unleashed in your composition.
© PG Music Forums