PG Music Home
Posted By: Ghostgum Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 09/23/19 03:35 AM
https://soundcloud.com/user-427542889/time-tide-and-tapestry-song

Different to the instrumental version - the key has changed from G to Eb. Tempo increased from 85 to 95 BPM. The lyrics did not fit the original melody so changes were required there. The bridge also has a different chord progression. The intro now has 8 bars instead of 4.

BIAB Tracks: GETAMP.STY Ev Pop Country w Amplitube Solo
366:Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065
2829:Guitar, Electric, CountryPopBrent12-key Ev 085
362:Guitar, Acoustic Strumming Ev 085
365:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 085
2825:Piano, Acoustic Rhythm CountryPopMike12-key Ev 085
3132:Guitar, Resonator, Background FolkCoolEddy SW16 075
RealDrums=NashvilleEven8^1

Music, lyrics and vocals Brian Raynor

Recording equipment:
Shure PG-58 microphone, Behringer XENYX QX1201 mixer, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface.
Recording software: Reaper DAW

LYRICS

Time, Tide And Tapestry

No backward glance, she starts the car and quickly drives away
There's nothing I could say to change her mind or make her stay
She tells me that its best this way, but if the truth be told
Someone else is waiting for her; and he's the one she'll hold

All our years of history surrendered to the flames
She's burned her bridges, scorched my soul,
said I'm the one to blame
Now raking through the ashes, I begin to count the cost
Seems ev’rything I trusted in is vaporized and lost

BRIDGE:
"Time and tide wait for no man," or so the poet said
And somehow our tapestry became a tangled thread,
just a tangled thread

INSTRUMENTAL

Raking through the ashes, I begin to count the cost
Seems ev’rything I trusted in is vaporized and lost

One day she may realise it wasn't worth the pain
And on that day, phoenix-like, I will rise again
We'll put the past behind us, and we'll forge ahead once more
Weaving tapestry together just like we did before.
Just like before
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 09/23/19 10:32 AM
nice tune. Mellow and well done.

The mix is nice and clear. It's easy to listen to and hear everything nicely in it's place.

Good clean job on the vocals too.

I like it.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 09/23/19 11:10 AM
Wow - really nicely done smile Your vocals are tremendous on this. It is delicate, relatable, tender, and just a solid write all around. I thought the mix on this was tremendous as well. It sounds extremely professional. I wouldn't bat an eyelash if I heard this on the radio.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Mark K Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 09/28/19 05:30 PM
Vocals added are a treat. Enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 09/28/19 05:36 PM
Nice clean vocals, and a great balance of instruments.

Adding lyrics has elevated this song again.

Excellent production, absolutely.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 09/28/19 07:40 PM
I really like the song title you picked, and I love how balanced the instruments sound in this arrangement. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 09/28/19 08:07 PM
Thanks Ember. When I composed the instrumental I wanted an alliterated title using the letter T. Not so hard. However, writing a lyric that incorporated all three words was bit more challenging. I wanted it to be clear the "Time and tide wait for no man" someone else's line and not of my own making, and that just left "tapestry," which I turned into a metaphor for either perfectly meshed or tangled relationships.
Posted By: rayc Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 09/28/19 11:26 PM
Brian,
a VERY tidy, compact and pleasant job.
You listed
Shure PG-58 microphone, Behringer XENYX QX1201 mixer, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface as your hardware.
Is that the signal chain for your vocal as well? I was wondering if you used the board before the interface for extra gain given it's a dynamic mic.
Your vocal is really well recorded and mixed - not a lot of folk use a dynamic for recording but yours is a great example of how it can get the job done.
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 09/29/19 01:39 AM
Yes, Ray, you are correct. Mic - Mixer - Interface.
It's the same mic I use for my live gigs and it's been a solid performer for almost four years.

The mixer not only has variables such as EQ, gain, compression, but also provides numerous FX presets (reverb, delay, chorus etc.).

Errata: My original post indicated the mixer is Behringer XENYX QX1201. It's actually a 1202 smile
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 09/29/19 07:31 PM
Hi Brian,

I'm sitting here in Melbourne at nearly 8:30 am on a Monday that's looking a bit gloomy and somehow this song is a perfect fit.

I love the arrangement that you've put together. Your choice of instruments is super. The effect of using a sw16 background track against ev8 tracks is really excellent. I love the mood that this combination creates.

Everything about this is strong... your writing, your arranging and mixing, your singing and your final production. As I sit here listening, it was very easy to imagine you on stage and your group behind you.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 09/29/19 08:17 PM
Very nice, beautiful song. Well crafted. Has a bit of a Jim Croce feel to it (that's a good thing.) Your vocals really sound nice and fit just right in the song.

Well done!

Steve
Posted By: bluage Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 09/30/19 01:22 AM
Hello, 'Ghostgum'...

You sure have a way with lyrics! They're so regretful, so sorrowful, that I felt as though I was the one who had 'done her wrong'. Great story-telling lyrics, man; compact, to-the-point, visually sharp and clear as the truth, loaded with feeling.

I made a remark in comments about another forum member's post concerning how richly musical the country-styled Real Tracks are, and the same thing applies in your song, Time, Tide and Tapestry. I must be opening up to the deeper pleasures of that genre!

This is the second song of your's that I've listened to. Your voice reminds me of a younger Willie Nelson, with its vulnerability to pain, but surprisingly hopeful in tone, regardless of the suffering.

- bluage -

Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 09/30/19 04:32 AM
Thanks, Noel. I'm amazed some of these efforts turn out as well as they do. The vocals for this one were more than a little rushed because our next-door neighbour was having a new air-con unit installed on the day in question (hammer-drills and angle-grinders to the fore!)
Fortunately, the tradies got peckish around noon and headed off to Hungry Jacks, giving me a brief window of opportunity.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 09/30/19 04:33 AM
Hi Brian ...

I had a real nice review written, hit the "submit" tab and whoosh ... it disappeared! More clutter in the dark regions of cyberspace, I would guess. That's the 2nd time this evening that's happened to me.

Anyway, to reiterate ...

I agree with all that's been said thus far. It's a great song and your delivery is so pleasant to the ears. The simplicity (yet perfectly full) of your backing tracks provides more than enough space for your voice shine ... and it does. You have a nice way with lyrics and a soothing voice. Thanks for the listening treat!

Alan
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 12/19/22 05:19 AM
Just learned this song won a prize in the 2021 ASA Songwriter's Contest (In know it's the end of 2022 but things can happen rather slowly in this part of the world).
My sincere thanks to the Band-In-A-Box team for providing such great tools for creating world-class backing tracks.

Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 12/19/22 05:40 AM
Congratulations, Brian!
Posted By: rayc Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 12/19/22 06:58 AM
Onya!
Posted By: vicarn Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 12/19/22 09:53 AM
Well done to you.

Vic
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 12/19/22 11:30 AM
Good song!

Congrats on the award!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 12/19/22 12:06 PM
Wow. So cool, Brian. Excellent song. Congratulations.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 12/19/22 02:36 PM
Cool. Congrats, Brian....
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 12/19/22 05:47 PM
One year...wow, that's REALLY slow.

Congratulations, Brian!
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 12/19/22 06:10 PM
Nicely done indeed, your vocals have a hint of John Denver to me.

Congrats on your award.
Posted By: nevnbron Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 12/19/22 07:54 PM
Well done Brian - and well deserved too. I think I've finally got here - with plenty of help and encouragement from your good self - thanks again I think - warm regards, Nev
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 12/19/22 08:40 PM
Brian, congratulations on that award - well deserved. The writing was really good and the music you chose and mix you had just perfected an already great song. I'm happy you got the award, and happy I got a chance to listen to your song!
Posted By: musician17 Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 12/20/22 05:10 AM
Beautiful melody, sad, sad song. Beautiful guitar solo. Everything is so clear in the mix, firstly the voice. A sound of resignation, and of hope against hope, towards the end. Superb from every standpoint: vocal, writing, production. Well done indeed.
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 12/20/22 08:19 AM
Thanks, everyone for the feedback. Much appreciated. smile
Posted By: jannesan Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 12/23/22 02:15 PM
Beautifully melancholic story. Excellent vocals and perfectly gentle instrumentation in the 70's style, I don't know whether it is the word tapestry, but reminds me of Carole King. Congratulation for the prize!

Janne
Posted By: nevnbron Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 01/03/23 06:47 PM
I really liked it - lovely use of the best features of BIAB, bringing in bits and pieces here and there and all supporting the vocal - well done
Posted By: firesong Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 01/03/23 07:31 PM
Brian...the story is so well presented and such a well constructed lyric...your vocals are so good and the track is outstanding...it's reminiscent of the great ballads of the 60's and 70's...I love the solo...well done indeed!
Posted By: PeterF Re: Time, Tide and Tapestry (song) - 01/03/23 09:24 PM
Brian
Congratulations lovely song.

Peter
© PG Music Forums