PG Music Home
Posted By: Steve Young New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/23/19 10:34 PM
I wasn't really planning on writing a song. But this phrase just popped into my brain, "a quarter to ten". I thought this could make a hook in a song. Then I thought there would be more rhyming and meter options if it was "a quarter to nine". Then, I realized that just happened to be about the time of evening that I had my first meaningful conversation (in other words, leading to our first date) with the beautiful girl that would become my wife of over 43 years now.

I met my wife briefly at South Padre (Texas), where we were both performing in a music festival. A few weeks later a mutual friend played matchmaker and brought to my attention that this beautiful girl was interested in me. Her band was playing at a mission in downtown Houston that Saturday night. I went to hear them, and the rest is history! (I hope I didn't overestimate your interest in this, and that you enjoy the song!)

Piano, organ, strings and percussion are all Native Instruments softsynth sounds I played. The rest is RealTracks and RealDrums...

A Quarter To Nine - Video

A Quarter To Nine - Soundcloud

A Quarter To Nine
©Stephen W. Young

There was a mission in downtown Houston
Singing songs of redemption
Saturday nights and a hot meal
Reaching out to the man on the run
Always sure to find one
Giving all for something real

I heard about her from an old friend
I went to hear the band she was in
At the mission in downtown Houston
And when she sat down next to me
It was plain that it was meant to be
I knew she was mine for the first time
At a quarter to nine

She had the voice of an angel
Could make you smile when it's painful
The one you look all your life to find
I was young and free as the wind
Not much money, but rich in friends
But it was clear, we started a lifetime
At a quarter to nine

At a quarter to nine...
That's when my heart started keeping time
At a quarter to nine...
I knew everything had changed
At a quarter to nine...
That's when my heart changed my mind
At a quarter to nine

I was young and free as the wind
Not much money, but rich in friends
But it was clear, we started a lifetime
At a quarter to nine
At a quarter to nine
At a quarter to nine

===

And here are the RT's/RD's...
RealTracks in song: 1254:Bass, Electric, PopShiningSync Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 2780:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Songwriter8thsBrent Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 2541:Pedal Steel, Background ModernPopCountry Ev 110
RealTracks in song: 1850:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopShiningGrittyMuted Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 3203:Guitar, Acoustic, Soloist RnBPopBrent Ev 110
RealDrums [in Song:NashvilleEven8^3-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat Open

[size:14pt][/size]
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/23/19 11:00 PM
Hello Steve. This ticks all the boxes as do all your songs.
I really enjoyed the chorus and the sentiment of the story line.
Thanks for posting. Rob4580
Posted By: rayc Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/24/19 02:31 AM
The RTs are well selected and the stuff you played really added the gloss.
You did a cool job recording the vocals.
Well done.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/24/19 07:32 AM
"That's when my heart changed my mind." Oh yeah.

You can never over-estimate my interest in the topic of this song. You really kept this kitchen-table close, lifted at the right moments with your fills and with the tasteful but exciting little instrumental breaks. Until. Until. You opened up with the change-up and the harmonies. SWEET!

Altogether a delicious package that has the added benefit of sounding good. I really like this.
Posted By: Scott C Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/24/19 10:55 AM
Lovely song Stephen. Super vocal and lyric. What a wonderful way to meet you future life partner. Thanks for sharing..
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/24/19 11:24 AM
Nice work on this - delightfully catchy and easy to follow. Some interesting lyrics too smile Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/24/19 04:58 PM
Hmmm....well we have a list of the excellent aspects of this tune:

- the lyric
- the melody
- the vocals - all of them
- the arrangement
- the instrumental performances
- the RT/RD choice
- the mix - wow, what a soundstage!

You have a wonderful way of delivering personal heartfelt vocals without getting all angsty...but with all the emotion needed to pull the listener in for the story. Nobody would walk away from this without understanding the depth of y'all's relationship.

Hey, nice photo in the vid!

J&B
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/24/19 07:18 PM
A lot to like here, but the background vocals especially were outstanding IMHO. The mix was terrific, too. And I liked the rhyming of angel and painful, worked very well for me.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/24/19 09:36 PM
Janice & Bud pretty much said everything I was thinking! Really wonderful job on the song.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/25/19 11:30 AM
Steve...

Awesome song in all regards.

Love! the beat of this - right off the bat.

The addition of the organ in the 2nd verse is the perfect touch (and man! it sounds good!)...and the steel at just the right time. Ditto the piano in the 3rd. Very cool BGVs. And that little touch of steel at the end. All indications of a man who knows how to produce a good song.

Your vocals are ALWAYS good.
Your mix is ALWAYS good.

"But it was clear, we started a lifetime
At a quarter to nine"
What a great line - and great summary...

A solid write start to finish.

This might be my favorite of yours (among so many).

SO good from every angle.

fj

Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/25/19 02:12 PM
SWEET!!!!! BEAUTIFUL!!!!! AWESOME!!!! If I were running advertising for PG music, I would use this track to show what the program can do in the right hands!! Beyond the great track, wonderful use of the instruments, and great vocal, the writing is AMAZING!!! "We started a life time at a quarter to nine"........what a creative and fresh approach to thinking and writing. So much of the way we speak and write is generic......we fall into the same patterns. This is SOOOOOOO creative!! LOVE THIS SONG Steve!!!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: jannesan Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/25/19 04:23 PM
Very nice romantic backstory for the appropriate title and the touching lyrics.
I like the development to the catchy chorus, the verses have that excitement of what's coming for the lifetime.
I like your vocals including the backing in the chorus. The arrangement is quite delicate, which is nice, although I was expecting fireworks in the end smile

Janne
Posted By: edshaw Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/25/19 06:37 PM
Wonderful record. Great story!
Posted By: Leon1 Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/26/19 12:16 AM
Hi Steve
First class in every respect. A really beautiful job.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: PeterF Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/26/19 05:36 AM
Steve

A lovely song and floyd & Janice & Bud all made excellent comments about just how lovely.

A really great piece of work with a memorable melody and top notch production.

Peter
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/26/19 07:15 AM
Excellent! I can't add more to what has already been said, I'll just say that I really enjoyed this song, my new favorite from you.
Posted By: Mark K Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/28/19 05:36 PM
Awesome song. I think I can learn a lot about arranging and production by careful listening to this.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/28/19 06:47 PM
All top notch and sounds full and complete , I really enjoyed this .

Thanks
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/29/19 08:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Hello Steve. This ticks all the boxes as do all your songs.
I really enjoyed the chorus and the sentiment of the story line.
Thanks for posting. Rob4580

Thanks so much,Rob! Glad you enjoyed it!

Originally Posted By: rayc
The RTs are well selected and the stuff you played really added the gloss.
You did a cool job recording the vocals.
Well done.

Thank you, Ray. Really appreciate your kind comments!

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
"That's when my heart changed my mind." Oh yeah.

You can never over-estimate my interest in the topic of this song. You really kept this kitchen-table close, lifted at the right moments with your fills and with the tasteful but exciting little instrumental breaks. Until. Until. You opened up with the change-up and the harmonies. SWEET!

Altogether a delicious package that has the added benefit of sounding good. I really like this.

Tangmo, thanks for dropping in and listening, and offering your kind words! Glad I didn't overestimate your interest in the how the song came about! smile So glad you like this one!

===

Steve
Posted By: dcuny Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/29/19 09:58 PM
Dang... you already had me hook, line and sinker, and then the harmonies kicked in.

I'll just say I agree with all the superlatives, and congratulate you on your excellent choice in friends. laugh
Posted By: Al-David Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/29/19 10:15 PM
Hi Steve ...

The problem with arriving late for the party is that all the good stuff has already been said. I watched the video first and then listened on SoundCloud. This is such a terrific song. You picked the perfect style for the backing tracks ... catchy from the opening measure. And your vocals, much like Greg Johnson's, just float and sweeten the air that carries it along.

And Rachel is, indeed, a lovely lady. And congrats on the endurance of your marriage.

Wishing you everything good.

Alan
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/29/19 10:30 PM
Hi Steve,

This is such a wonderful listen on all fronts.

Your writing, your arranging, your singing, your production and your mix radiate skill, sincerity and pizzazz.

What a brilliant choice of instruments, too! You kept me thoroughly engaged from start to end. I was so focused that when the end arrived, I blinked because it seemed like hardly any time had passed. Seriously... this presentation could easily have been from a world-class professional studio.

I really enjoyed this.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Chris37 Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/30/19 07:21 AM
Hi Steve,
Almost everything has already been said about your song…
I just can say that I like it very much.
Kudos to you. Christian
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 09/30/19 10:57 AM
My favorite from a long list of favorites from you. Lovin' it from start to finish.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 10/01/19 04:02 PM
I saw this mentioned and figured I'd have a listen. Glad I did. Those BGVs sounded like something CSN would have done.

Nice work.
Posted By: dani48 Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 10/01/19 05:44 PM
Hi, Steve !:))

How sweet isn´t this !
What a voice !!!!!!
Have to say it Steve,
this must be your best
so far at least it is
my new Stevefav !!!

Congrats !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Crossroads Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 10/02/19 06:53 AM
Hi Steve,

this one really caught me - what a great love song. To me it's almost perfect in it's frill-lessness (don't even know if this word exists, but you'll understand what I mean and that I mean this in the most positive sense).
What a great arrangement, very nice harmonic progressions, very appealingly sung. And the chorus (I call it chorus although it appears only once) struck me like a lightning. Hats off - love it!

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: musician17 Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 10/02/19 05:24 PM
Wonderful. So well done from every aspect - a great love song!
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 10/02/19 06:50 PM
It's all been said. I see your name and I think two things before even hearing it. Great song. I can't wait to hear those background vocals. Once again, as always, you delivered in a BIG way.

Thanks so much Steve!
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 10/05/19 08:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Lovely song Stephen. Super vocal and lyric. What a wonderful way to meet you future life partner. Thanks for sharing..

Thanks so much, Scott!

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nice work on this - delightfully catchy and easy to follow. Some interesting lyrics too smile Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, Deryk. Always good to hear from you. Glad you like this one!

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Hmmm....well we have a list of the excellent aspects of this tune:

- the lyric
- the melody
- the vocals - all of them
- the arrangement
- the instrumental performances
- the RT/RD choice
- the mix - wow, what a soundstage!

You have a wonderful way of delivering personal heartfelt vocals without getting all angsty...but with all the emotion needed to pull the listener in for the story. Nobody would walk away from this without understanding the depth of y'all's relationship.

Hey, nice photo in the vid!

J&B

Thanks, Janice and Bud! Always good to hear from y'all! Your kind words are so appreciated!

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
A lot to like here, but the background vocals especially were outstanding IMHO. The mix was terrific, too. And I liked the rhyming of angel and painful, worked very well for me.

Thanks so much, TuneMonger! Really appreciate your kind words, and glad you like the background vox.

===

Steve
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 10/09/19 03:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
Janice & Bud pretty much said everything I was thinking! Really wonderful job on the song.

Thanks so much, Ember!

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Steve...

Awesome song in all regards.

Love! the beat of this - right off the bat.

The addition of the organ in the 2nd verse is the perfect touch (and man! it sounds good!)...and the steel at just the right time. Ditto the piano in the 3rd. Very cool BGVs. And that little touch of steel at the end. All indications of a man who knows how to produce a good song.

Your vocals are ALWAYS good.
Your mix is ALWAYS good.

"But it was clear, we started a lifetime
At a quarter to nine"
What a great line - and great summary...

A solid write start to finish.

This might be my favorite of yours (among so many).

SO good from every angle.

fj

Thanks a bunch, Floyd! That really means a lot to me. So glad you like this one!

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
SWEET!!!!! BEAUTIFUL!!!!! AWESOME!!!! If I were running advertising for PG music, I would use this track to show what the program can do in the right hands!! Beyond the great track, wonderful use of the instruments, and great vocal, the writing is AMAZING!!! "We started a life time at a quarter to nine"........what a creative and fresh approach to thinking and writing. So much of the way we speak and write is generic......we fall into the same patterns. This is SOOOOOOO creative!! LOVE THIS SONG Steve!!!!! Take care. Greg

Greg, I so appreciate your very kind words!

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Very nice romantic backstory for the appropriate title and the touching lyrics.
I like the development to the catchy chorus, the verses have that excitement of what's coming for the lifetime.
I like your vocals including the backing in the chorus. The arrangement is quite delicate, which is nice, although I was expecting fireworks in the end smile

Janne

Thanks, Janne!
Posted By: Jim Re: New Song - A Quarter To Nine - 10/28/19 05:49 PM
Nicely written Steve...
Isn't it amazing what happens when a hook pops into your mind smile
© PG Music Forums