PG Music Home
Posted By: Robertkc Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 09/26/19 04:14 PM
Last year Scott recorded an instrumental, Oeming Rd I thought one of his best. I often hear snippets of lyrics listening to instrumentals and Scott was kind enough to let me run with ideas for a song based on his track.

Pendulum

RealTracks in song: 564:Bass, Electric, Blues Monday Sw 065
RealTracks in song: ~~425:Organ, B3, Background Blues Sw 120
RealTracks in style: ~530:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Hank Sw 085
RealTracks in song: 2624:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm BluesShuffleBassAndLicks Sw 085
RealDrums HardRockShuffle
Scott`s Guitars: Gretsch/Marshall amp,DLX Purdy
Loops:Floyd`s handclaps/Guiro 8ths

Pendulum

white bird cries at sunrise
blackbird laughs at the moon
sailor dreams in his hammock
crazy cat swings from the boom

at sea in his glass tower
upside man watches numbers fall
missed the buy on Gravity
between the sword and the wall

listen to the clock in the cupboard
babe hums along
laid out in death bed beauty
old man nods in delerium
time winds down on the pendulum
will you sway with me

who are we
where do we come from
where are we going
who are we
where do we come from
where are we going

from New York to north of Never Never
downside man sails from the lagoon
starts to swing in his hammock
crazy cat bothers the moon

listen to the clock in the cupboard
babe hums along
laid out in death bed beauty
old man nods in delerium
will you sway with me
will you sway with me

© Robert Cordrey Sept. 2019
Posted By: bluage Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 09/26/19 05:53 PM
'Robertkc' & 'ScottC'...

Whoa! This Pendulum track somethin' ELSE cool.

Love the swaggering, momentous, 'boom, bop-ba-boom' rhythm (sounded like a MONSTER was chasing me -- YIKES !!! I gotta get outta here :o), the steady, patterned rain of echoic blue notes on the 'lectric guitar, the wildly mystical lyrics and their incantational vocal delivery, the tick-tick-ticking scratch of the guiro, all combining to conjure up a spine-tingling atmosphere.

It’s kaleidoscopic musical experience, gents!

- bluage -
Posted By: rayc Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 09/26/19 11:24 PM
Interesting stuff...the percussion loop kept grabbing my attention - probably becasue the rhythm was a little different to the drums and my head was trying to reconcile them.
Cool, impressionistic almost German Expressionistic images from the lyric.
Cool stuff.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 09/27/19 11:48 AM
Nicely done! It makes for a unique and engaging listen, and it is certainly attention grabbing. Nicely catchy, and your voice pairs with the instrumentation gorgeously. Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 09/27/19 01:17 PM
Robert/Scott...

A very cool overall sound. Interesting BAND - Scott's guitar fits in nicely. (I thought the rasp was louder than it needed to be). As a whole, thouhg, it works nicely.

An interesting lyric - as always. Your vocals on these style rock songs work really well - a real "personality" to them. (I thought it was "back" just slightly more than it needed to be).

Unique and original.

fj
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 09/27/19 06:17 PM
There's enough fine imagery within this tune for at least a couple of videos.

If you're gonna write something as creative as this it certainly helps to have an equally creative band.
And to have the vocal chops to pull it off and, of course, to have a fine guitar picker.

And then you have to put all that together with a creative arrangement and mix.

You scored on all those aspects.

As Blueage aptly said, "spine-tingling atmosphere."

Really cool!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 09/27/19 07:21 PM
Originally Posted By: bluage
'Robertkc' & 'ScottC'...

Whoa! This Pendulum track somethin' ELSE cool.

Love the swaggering, momentous, 'boom, bop-ba-boom' rhythm (sounded like a MONSTER was chasing me -- YIKES !!! I gotta get outta here :o), the steady, patterned rain of echoic blue notes on the 'lectric guitar, the wildly mystical lyrics and their incantational vocal delivery, the tick-tick-ticking scratch of the guiro, all combining to conjure up a spine-tingling atmosphere.

It’s kaleidoscopic musical experience, gents!

- bluage -

Bluage,
You write reviews at least as Whoa! as this song- in fact, I like yours so much I`m not bothered at all if its the only one!
Thank you for not running away on hearing our boom, bop-ba-boom.

Originally Posted By: rayc
Interesting stuff...the percussion loop kept grabbing my attention - probably becasue the rhythm was a little different to the drums and my head was trying to reconcile them.
Cool, impressionistic almost German Expressionistic images from the lyric.
Cool stuff.

I worked on changing up that rhythm- its meant to sound on the edge of being "wrong" and still good.
Thanks for your comments.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Robert/Scott...

A very cool overall sound. Interesting BAND - Scott's guitar fits in nicely. (I thought the rasp was louder than it needed to be). As a whole, thouhg, it works nicely.

An interesting lyric - as always. Your vocals on these style rock songs work really well - a real "personality" to them. (I thought it was "back" just slightly more than it needed to be).

Unique and original.

fj

Floyd,
A tough one to mix, this- I`ll have another listen to the percussion and vocal levels.
BTW I used your Flamenco Claps, removing the single claps to put in the Guiro.
Thanks as always for your helpful feedback.

Robert
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 09/27/19 07:57 PM
Sounded like the shadows on the start, I thought it was going to be an instrumental. then the vocals kicked in,

Nice write and arrangement well done guys ,
Posted By: PeterF Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 09/27/19 09:12 PM
Scott & Robert

Amazing stuff! A really interesting composition and one of your best melodies and vocals.
Enjoyed it all. Needed a couple of plays to appreciate the intricacies.

Peter
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 09/27/19 09:39 PM
Really great use of Realtracks! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 09/27/19 09:54 PM
Trippy retro style tune!! Love the processing which is quite psychedelic! Always love your poetic and unique lyrics Robert.......and Scott's guitar keeps them great company!! Nice job guys!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 09/28/19 05:47 AM
Excellent writing, as usual! Good vocal too.

Mix wise I thought the vocal could have been louder, especially during the chorus when the guiro comes in.

I like the little instrumental bits from Scott, really worked well.

Cool ending! What is that BTW?

Another good collaboration, nicely done Robert and Scott!
Posted By: edshaw Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 09/28/19 06:43 AM
What an accomplishment, Robert.
The body of Scott C's collaborations continues to grow, impressively.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 09/28/19 12:36 PM
Robert (and Scott),

Terrific intro . . . intrigues the ear and pulls you right in. Love the vocals . . . very Chris Isaak sound to it. The solo guitar slays. Not sure I’m crazy about the guiro in the chorus I think if that’s what I’m hearing—I found it a little distracting, but that’s a subjective thing and it doesn’t seem to have struck anyone else similarly, so give it what little weight it may be due. Cool, imaginative, poetic lyrics . . . great stuff!

All the best,

Deej
Posted By: Mark K Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 09/28/19 06:06 PM
Great job guys. A mind-bending experience.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 09/28/19 07:12 PM
Hi Robert,

Nice job with every aspect of the production, as usual. What is the upside man and the downside man, are those nautical terms? They didn't google for me.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 09/28/19 08:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
There's enough fine imagery within this tune for at least a couple of videos.

If you're gonna write something as creative as this it certainly helps to have an equally creative band.
And to have the vocal chops to pull it off and, of course, to have a fine guitar picker.

And then you have to put all that together with a creative arrangement and mix.

You scored on all those aspects.

As Blueage aptly said, "spine-tingling atmosphere."

Really cool!

I really appreciate those positive comments,J&B...any videographers wanting to use this as soundtrack for a dystopian epic are most welcome!

Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Sounded like the shadows on the start, I thought it was going to be an instrumental. then the vocals kicked in,

Nice write and arrangement well done guys ,

Scott`s original instrumental is linked at the top.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Scott & Robert

Amazing stuff! A really interesting composition and one of your best melodies and vocals.
Enjoyed it all. Needed a couple of plays to appreciate the intricacies.

Peter

Thanks very much, Peter!

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
Really great use of Realtracks! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Ember.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Trippy retro style tune!! Love the processing which is quite psychedelic! Always love your poetic and unique lyrics Robert.......and Scott's guitar keeps them great company!! Nice job guys!! Take care. Greg

Greg,
Glad you enjoyed the strangeness here.

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Excellent writing, as usual! Good vocal too.

Mix wise I thought the vocal could have been louder, especially during the chorus when the guiro comes in.

I like the little instrumental bits from Scott, really worked well.

Cool ending! What is that BTW?

Another good collaboration, nicely done Robert and Scott!

Dave,
Vocal nudged up/Guiro down now.
That`s the pendulum of an old clock at the close.
Thanks for your listen and feedback.

Robert
Posted By: jannesan Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 09/29/19 03:03 PM
Enjoyed minor chording and Scott's fine playing. The chorus is quite catchy, I also like that strange rhythm of that crazy cuckoo clock combined with some strange chords and guiro. The baritone guitar sounds familiar wink I didn't quite get into the lyrical landscape, but "time winds down on the pendulum will you sway with me" part contains intriquing mystery.

Janne
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 09/29/19 07:11 PM
Hi Robert and Scott,

I love this one!

The blues shuffle is a perfect backdrop for some really poweful lyric imagery. Stunning.

What really captivated me was how a guiro sound in even eight notes sat so well with a backing in swing eight notes. Normally these two combinations of rhythm are antagonistic to one another. In the hands of your two, though, the effect is magical. To my ears it the guiro sound was a 'tic--tictoc tic--tictoc' sound that suited the concept of clocks and pendulums really well. Wonderful prosody!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Al-David Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 09/30/19 04:52 AM
Scott & Robert ...

What a terrific and interesting song! The b/g tracks fit just right but I would never have thought to put them together ... kudos to you gentlemen for having that creative approach! loved the lyric and Scott's guitar blazed through exactly as it should have. Loved everything about it!

Wishing both of you the best ...

Alan
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 09/30/19 08:09 PM
Originally Posted By: edshaw
What an accomplishment, Robert.
The body of Scott C's collaborations continues to grow, impressively.

Thanks, Ed!

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Robert (and Scott),

Terrific intro . . . intrigues the ear and pulls you right in. Love the vocals . . . very Chris Isaak sound to it. The solo guitar slays. Not sure I’m crazy about the guiro in the chorus I think if that’s what I’m hearing—I found it a little distracting, but that’s a subjective thing and it doesn’t seem to have struck anyone else similarly, so give it what little weight it may be due. Cool, imaginative, poetic lyrics . . . great stuff!

All the best,

Deej

Deej,
The intro follows Scott`s original instrumental... from there I wanted to make the song go in a very different direction.
Others have mentioned Chris Isaak similarities on my vocals before... I`LL have a listen to him again.
Guiro is a bit of strangeness I like... I appreciate your listen and feedback.

Robert
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 10/02/19 01:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Mark K
Great job guys. A mind-bending experience.

Thanks Mark!

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Hi Robert,

Nice job with every aspect of the production, as usual. What is the upside man and the downside man, are those nautical terms? They didn't google for me.

Those are both stocktrader terms- I just personified them.
Thanks for your comments.

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Enjoyed minor chording and Scott's fine playing. The chorus is quite catchy, I also like that strange rhythm of that crazy cuckoo clock combined with some strange chords and guiro. The baritone guitar sounds familiar wink I didn't quite get into the lyrical landscape, but "time winds down on the pendulum will you sway with me" part contains intriquing mystery.

Janne

Janne,
Yes, that`s a "crazy cuckoo clock"... apply the sound to a life and you`ll get the lyrics!
I appreciate the positive comments.

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Robert and Scott,

I love this one!

The blues shuffle is a perfect backdrop for some really poweful lyric imagery. Stunning.

What really captivated me was how a guiro sound in even eight notes sat so well with a backing in swing eight notes. Normally these two combinations of rhythm are antagonistic to one another. In the hands of your two, though, the effect is magical. To my ears it the guiro sound was a 'tic--tictoc tic--tictoc' sound that suited the concept of clocks and pendulums really well. Wonderful prosody!

All the best,
Noel

Noel,
When I had the idea of playing with that shuffle beat in an unusual way I figured someone would throw the rhythm rule book at the result! Thanks for being open to the strangeness and for your supportive comments.

Robert
Posted By: Scott C Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 10/02/19 08:02 PM
Thanks everyone. Had a great time with the project. Was very happy to have Robert convert my instrumental to lyrics.
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 10/09/19 05:13 AM
Hi Robert, hi Scott,

wow, that's a really cool one. Great rhythim, very nice guitar job, well-sung. Enjoyed my listen.

Stefan
Posted By: Jim Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 10/28/19 05:01 PM
Good collaboration...
I liked the mood & tone of the song...
And Scott's silky guitar playing really highlighted the tune!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 10/28/19 09:32 PM
Thanks Crossroads and Jim ( wow, you are digging into the backpages for some songs- good onya!)

Robert
Posted By: dcuny Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 10/29/19 02:06 AM
Missed this the first time - glad I got a chance to listen this time around.

Trippy! cool
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 10/29/19 03:18 AM
Scott & Robert,

I also enjoyed minor chording and Scott's fine playing as Janne says.
The combination of Scott & Robert is always really good.
I think that it is an exquisite collaboration.
Each other pulls out each other's charm very well.
This song also uses a very strange complex rhythm.
I love it.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Scott C Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 10/29/19 05:39 PM
What a nice surprise to see the song pop up again. Thanks David and Shigeki for checking out the song. Robert really made the song special. Glad you liked it..
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 10/29/19 10:53 PM
Fantastic set of lyrics, wrapped up in a remarkable ballad.

Enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Pendulum ( with ScottC) - 10/31/19 07:53 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Fantastic set of lyrics, wrapped up in a remarkable ballad.

Enjoyed the listen.

Thanks for checking out the song. Glad you liked it
© PG Music Forums