PG Music Home
Posted By: Charlie Fogle There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/02/19 12:17 PM
Hello to all;

I made this short, easy listening instrumental this morning using as many different aspects of BIAB as I could squeeze into 32 bars.

This song uses 2 Real Styles, a midi Style and an instrument generated from a second midi style. There are a total of 14 instruments on twelve tracks that are a mixture of RealTracks, Hi-Q Midi and a regular midi track. The Midi synths used are Coyote WT and Sforzando that are native to BIAB. I blended two midi pianos with an acoustic RT piano and also rendered a midi piano, the piano twill heard several times throughout the song to audio and edited that complete piano track using BIAB's Audio Editor, eliminating all but the piano twill. I copied and pasted the twill riff into the specific measures I wanted them to play. Finally, I created a medley using a four instrument RT Medley selection.

I used PGMusic plug ins compressor, EQ, and Reverb on various instruments.

The song was created, rendered, mixed and tracks converted to Performance Tracks and Audio tracks to complete a stereo master track and exclusively used BIAB. I exported the master as a WAV and converted it to MP3 in Audacity.

To recap. This song is a mixture of RealStyles, Midi Styles, RealTracks, HiQ Midi, regular Midi instruments and a RealTrack 4 instrument Medly.

There's A Place
Posted By: Tangmo Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/02/19 12:24 PM
Now that is getting under the hood and delivering big bang for the BIAB buck. The results are happy-making. Nice work.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/02/19 02:40 PM
Nice pleasant little tune Charlie!! Isn't BIAB great!! Well put together and mixed! Take care. Greg
Posted By: dani48 Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/02/19 04:35 PM
Hi, Charlie !

I loved your instro !
in fact it is really wonderful
it played on all the right
chords !

Congrats Charlie !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/02/19 07:16 PM
Wow Charlie! What a cool concept for a project. Best of all, that song is GREAT! I think it's so cool that you were able to do what you did. YOU should what BIAB is really capable of with some effort; but simultaneously not needing "more toys" to pull it off.

The proof is in the song. And I'm really liking the song! Real tracks fool me all the time. In the right hands, like yours, it's hard not to be amazed.

Nice job pulling this off! And thank you for posting it. It makes me want to try a few things here and there and post them without all the lyrics and singing. Sometimes I miss just writing music. Your work is inspiring for sure.

Thanks Charlie! (Keep 'em Coming)
Posted By: Scott C Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/02/19 08:07 PM
This is an excellent song. Loved the choice of instruments. Well done
Posted By: Noel96 Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/02/19 08:28 PM
Hi Charlie,

This is one to be proud of.

You've shown us all just how powerful BIAB is in the hands of someone who knows how to get the most from the software.

Truly a terrific listen!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/02/19 09:30 PM
Really fantastic use of Styles, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: bluage Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/03/19 02:04 AM
Hello, Mr. Fogle...

If your too-brief instrumental piece, There's A Place, isn't just the best example of how attention to technical details can produce something artful, then I don't know what is whistle.

It's a lovely, soulful, and wistful 'moment musical'. I was going to ask which instruments were Real Tracks, which one(s) were MIDI, Hi-Q MIDI, and so on, but then I realized I'd be destroying the magic I experienced as I listened to it by pitting each instrument against the other. The fact is, your composing and arranging skills made each instrument sound perfectly balanced and 'realistic' in performance, each complementing the other, the parts contributing to the greater whole.

Ultimately, you've only validated the old 'one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration' argument attributed to Thomas Alva Edison -- and then created something sweet and soulful out of both traits.

I would love to hear you do this kind of 'moment musical' thing again, Mr. Fogle!

Most sincerely,

- bluage -
Posted By: floyd jane Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/03/19 09:59 AM
Charlie,

Your understanding of BIAB and its many capabilities always impresses me.

A good listen. The trade off of solo instruments keeps the ear engaged (I especially liked the e. piano). A musical journey in under 2 minutes...

Nicely mixed. Enjoyed.

fj
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/03/19 10:20 AM
Wow - what a tune! You knocked this out of the park. Others said it already, but this is truly excellent use of the software. The fact you jam packed so much into barely a minute and a half is astounding. It flows amazingly well, the groove is perfect, and the progression is stunning.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/03/19 11:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Now that is getting under the hood and delivering big bang for the BIAB buck. The results are happy-making. Nice work.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Nice pleasant little tune Charlie!! Isn't BIAB great!! Well put together and mixed! Take care. Greg

Hi Greg. BIAB is really a great program. Thank you for commenting.

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Charlie !

I loved your instro !
in fact it is really wonderful
it played on all the right
chords !

Congrats Charlie !

Cheers
Dani

Hey Dani. Always good to hear from you. I appreciate your comment.

Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Wow Charlie! What a cool concept for a project. Best of all, that song is GREAT! I think it's so cool that you were able to do what you did. YOU should what BIAB is really capable of with some effort; but simultaneously not needing "more toys" to pull it off.

The proof is in the song. And I'm really liking the song! Real tracks fool me all the time. In the right hands, like yours, it's hard not to be amazed.

Nice job pulling this off! And thank you for posting it. It makes me want to try a few things here and there and post them without all the lyrics and singing. Sometimes I miss just writing music. Your work is inspiring for sure.

Thanks Charlie! (Keep 'em Coming)

Thanks for stopping by HTL. This project came together quite fast. BIAB is such a powerful tool. One of my favorite things is how similar to a multi track recorder BIAB can operate. It's not always as sophisticated as a DAW but I find there's not much that I can't accomplish from solely within the program with satisfactory results.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
This is an excellent song. Loved the choice of instruments. Well done

Thank you Scott.

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Charlie,

This is one to be proud of.

You've shown us all just how powerful BIAB is in the hands of someone who knows how to get the most from the software.

Truly a terrific listen!

All the best,
Noel

Hi Noel. A two minute instrumental is about all I can manage at the moment. I get into BIAB a bit everyday but some illness in my family requires a lot of attention and oversite and there are not long enough periods to sit and concentrate to produce a real project. I appreciate you taking time to comment. Sorry no lyrics this time. wink

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
Really fantastic use of Styles, thanks for sharing!

Thanks Ember. Fantastic Styles PGMusic has given us to use. You guys provide a lot of happiness.

Originally Posted By: bluage
Hello, Mr. Fogle...

If your too-brief instrumental piece, There's A Place, isn't just the best example of how attention to technical details can produce something artful, then I don't know what is whistle.

It's a lovely, soulful, and wistful 'moment musical'. I was going to ask which instruments were Real Tracks, which one(s) were MIDI, Hi-Q MIDI, and so on, but then I realized I'd be destroying the magic I experienced as I listened to it by pitting each instrument against the other. The fact is, your composing and arranging skills made each instrument sound perfectly balanced and 'realistic' in performance, each complementing the other, the parts contributing to the greater whole.

Ultimately, you've only validated the old 'one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration' argument attributed to Thomas Alva Edison -- and then created something sweet and soulful out of both traits.

I would love to hear you do this kind of 'moment musical' thing again, Mr. Fogle!

Most sincerely,

- bluage -

Wow. This made my day. I purposely was a bit vague in the total description hoping listeners would have to 'work' to tell differences between real and midi while at the same time demonstrate the clarity of a mix with a lot of instruments and tracks without the absolute necessity of a DAW. I truly appreciate your remarks. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Charlie,

Your understanding of BIAB and its many capabilities always impresses me.

A good listen. The trade off of solo instruments keeps the ear engaged (I especially liked the e. piano). A musical journey in under 2 minutes...

Nicely mixed. Enjoyed.

fj

Thanks for listening and posting Floyd. I almost regenerated the Medley Track because of a single note phrase by the electric piano part but after several listens, it fit the part for me so I left it as is. Glad you enjoyed your listen.

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - what a tune! You knocked this out of the park. Others said it already, but this is truly excellent use of the software. The fact you jam packed so much into barely a minute and a half is astounding. It flows amazingly well, the groove is perfect, and the progression is stunning.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile

Thank you so much Deryk for your kind comments. BIAB is such a blessing and joy to work with. The quality of the product is second to none.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/04/19 04:59 PM
Nice sounds and well layered Didn't know you done instrumentals enjoyed.

Thanks
Posted By: cubanpete Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/04/19 06:56 PM
Very nice Charlie. Reminds me a soap opera kind of theme. Lots of work in it.

Mike B.
Posted By: MarioD Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/04/19 08:59 PM
Charlie you did an expert job on this. PGMusic should use this as a selling point for both RTs, MIDI, and the combination of both.
Outstanding work here!

My only complaint is that it is way too short!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/07/19 07:59 PM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Nice sounds and well layered Didn't know you done instrumentals enjoyed.

Thanks

I don't do many instrumentals. This project evolved from just experimenting around with BIAB a bit. Glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Very nice Charlie. Reminds me a soap opera kind of theme. Lots of work in it.

Mike B.

Hi Mike. Yes, it does have a soap opera vibe I think. It was a fun project to do. Thanks for listening and posting.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Charlie you did an expert job on this. PGMusic should use this as a selling point for both RTs, MIDI, and the combination of both.
Outstanding work here!

My only complaint is that it is way too short!

32 repetitious bars doesn't leave much room for 4 instruments of 8 bars each playing over the same progression. I had taken this one about far as I could stretch it. wink

There was a lot going on in each section that made it sound a lot better than I was thinking it would but I agree, BIAB is a more capable program than it gets credit for sometimes. I appreciate you listening and commenting. Hope your wife continues to be recovering well.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/08/19 04:39 PM
Man, did you ever cram a lot of talent and BiaB expertise into two minutes!

A BiaB showcase for the User Showcase smile

Everything you did may our collective heads spin but we greatly
enjoyed the outcome!

The combo of pianos was amazing.

Kudos!

J&B

PS Cool title...
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/09/19 10:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Man, did you ever cram a lot of talent and BiaB expertise into two minutes!

A BiaB showcase for the User Showcase smile

Everything you did may our collective heads spin but we greatly
enjoyed the outcome!

The combo of pianos was amazing.

Kudos!

J&B

PS Cool title...

I always appreciate you stopping by for a listen. Glad you enjoyed it.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/09/19 02:33 PM
Certainly you packed plenty in Charlie, and at the same time you really 'tamed the beast'. Everything fits together just so well.

I liked everything. Great title also.

Nice!
Posted By: Steve Young Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/09/19 03:13 PM
Really nice, Charlie! I am always impressed at what can be done with Band in a Box! I've been using it for about 8-9 years now, and it continues to amaze me at how powerful this program is.

You have done a great job of putting together a nice arrangement. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Steve
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/11/19 09:07 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Certainly you packed plenty in Charlie, and at the same time you really 'tamed the beast'. Everything fits together just so well.

I liked everything. Great title also.

Nice!

Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Really nice, Charlie! I am always impressed at what can be done with Band in a Box! I've been using it for about 8-9 years now, and it continues to amaze me at how powerful this program is.

You have done a great job of putting together a nice arrangement. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Steve

Thanks for stopping by and posting.
Posted By: Crossroads Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/18/19 06:24 AM
Hi Charlie,

Short and good? No: short and excellent !!!! Marvellous song and a fantastic (and most adorable) usage of what PGM has to offer. Simply great all the way.

Stefan
Posted By: Mark K Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/28/19 12:38 PM
Lots going on, but everything "glides" together nicely (no abrupt transitions.) Well mixed and produced. Enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/28/19 02:42 PM
A nice blend of multiple instruments while keeping it all coherent.

Good work, and a pleasant listen.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 10/29/19 07:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Charlie,

Short and good? No: short and excellent !!!! Marvellous song and a fantastic (and most adorable) usage of what PGM has to offer. Simply great all the way.

Stefan

Thanks Stefan. I appreciate you taking time to listen and comment.

Originally Posted By: Mark K
Lots going on, but everything "glides" together nicely (no abrupt transitions.) Well mixed and produced. Enjoyed the listen.

Thanks for listening. Even with lots going on, the gliding and smooth transitions is mostly me taking advantage of seldom used features and tools that's been included in BIAB for a long time. BIAB is doing the heavy lifting. As a result of a recent discussion on another forum thread, I posted more details to how to get more than 8 tracks and 8 instruments from BIAB without having to use another program or DAW in the Tips and Tricks thread. You may want to try it out one day. BIAB is capable to create some quite complex arrangements beyond just choosing a Style and replacing instruments.

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
A nice blend of multiple instruments while keeping it all coherent.

Good work, and a pleasant listen.

Thanks Herb. I really like your latest post, "Old Tin Roof". It's a great song and production.
Posted By: Jim Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 11/01/19 05:24 PM
Nicely done...
It sounds like you have a great understanding Biab & all of its tools...
I enjoyed listening!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 11/01/19 11:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim
Nicely done...
It sounds like you have a great understanding Biab & all of its tools...
I enjoyed listening!

Thanks for listening and commenting. BIAB/RB is a wonderful tool and I was lucky to have it recommended to me back several years ago. It's been a blessing in so many ways.
Posted By: rayc Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 11/01/19 11:40 PM
A well constructed salad of BIAB capabilities and mixing ability.
Posted By: Al-David Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 11/02/19 01:49 AM
Hi Charlie ...

You have such a great understanding of the technical nuances and tools BIAB has to offer. I really enjoyed this ... Nice work in every way. What a really nice listen! Kudos!!! Wishing you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: dcuny Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 11/02/19 03:17 AM
When I saw your description, I figured that the song was going to be all over the place, but it held together as a single piece of music well.

That's quite a bit of cleverness to get it trigger different styles. As floyd jane said, nice trade off between the instruments, which really helped make it coherent.

Fun listen. smile
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: There's A Place (Instrumental) - 11/03/19 08:45 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
A well constructed salad of BIAB capabilities and mixing ability.

Thanks for taking time to listen. It was a fun and quick project.

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Charlie ...

You have such a great understanding of the technical nuances and tools BIAB has to offer. I really enjoyed this ... Nice work in every way. What a really nice listen! Kudos!!! Wishing you the very best ...

Alan

It's great to see you had time to listen and post. I hope all is going well with you and Mrs. Di. I saw in another post you replied to that you also use a lot of similar technical nuances and techniques when you create with BIAB. There's a lot of power built into this program and helps me take home recording to levels I can't achieve on my own or with local talent.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
When I saw your description, I figured that the song was going to be all over the place, but it held together as a single piece of music well.

That's quite a bit of cleverness to get it trigger different styles. As floyd jane said, nice trade off between the instruments, which really helped make it coherent.

Fun listen. smile

Thanks for listening. The lead instruments were from a medley put together by the PGMusic staff. It's a feature that's been around for quite a while but was expanded and enhanced and re-introduced as a feature in 2019. It really works a treat and is probably the easiest way to build up the dynamic feel of a project. This project was simply an 8 bar repetition to total 32 bars and the medley did a wonderful job of refocusing the listener's attention from the redundancy of the backing tracks.
© PG Music Forums