PG Music Home
Posted By: jannesan A Healer Of The Hills - 10/06/19 05:25 AM
A Healer Of The Hills

This song was inspired by Celtic rock, at least according to my notes - I listened to Big Country in the 80's and Runrig's Searchlight album was my favorite in the 90's. I think those influences can be heard in the chording. Of course the use of bagpipes in the instrumental breaks is intentional. Lyrically I have tried to use some Celtic elements but naturally it's not authentic as I have mixed in many other cultures, for example, you can google where Dunland is smile

The Band:

RealDrums: Bodhran, TexasBluesRock
RealTracks:
Accordion #1752
Acoustic guitar #896, #1814, #1945
Electric bass #1717
Electric guitar #1684, #1718, #1719
Electric guitar soloist #1722

MIDI: bagpipes (VST Garritan World Instruments)

Vocals by me

Mixed in Cakewalk by BandLab

Lyrics:

I have walked down the green hills of grief
I have dreamt of a righteous relief
I have prayed for salvation to see
is the path of saints really for me.

I have walked the maroon misty moor
I have followed the sorrowful spoor
I have seen all the daring ones drown
now the shyest man carries the lei crown.

I'm a shamrock shepherd
I'm a balladry bard
a poetic preacher, a pagan.
Among daffodils
I'm a healer of the hills
a descendant of Druids from Dunland.

I have walked with the wisdom of wood
I have worshipped the goddess of good
I have learned sacred herbs of the earth
when I've climbed the rowan of rebirth.

I have walked to the door of deceased
I have danced through the fire and feast
I have sown hazel seeds of this spring
saving life on the glens lush and lasting.

[Chorus]

[Chorus]

-------------
Janne
Posted By: rayc Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/06/19 07:54 AM
Overall it's a pretty cool song/arrangement/mix though it sounds like a very aggressive edit at the nine seconds mark.
The good arrangement allows plenty of space in the sound.
I'm a huge fan of the Bodhran and it sounds fine in this song too.
Nothing like a little plain air worship - the music sounded open, fresh and free.
Normally I wouldn't mention it but as you start most lines with "I" it is reasonable, I think, to offer that your pronunciation as "oi" does sound a little odd with so many repetitions.
It's probably not an issue for anyone else but it was noticeable in my headphones
The bagpipes weren't bad and they do give that touch of Big Country, (or Slade's version of Big Country on Run Run Away).
well done Janne.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/06/19 04:04 PM
Janne,

I enjoyed the very descriptive lyric.

The music has a good drive to it. Playful.

fj
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/06/19 06:37 PM
Janne,
Interesting crossover of styles. It is fun & easy to listen. Cool lyrics!
Enjoyed it.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: PeterF Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/07/19 05:10 AM
Janne

A big sound, and a good listen. Nice use of different instruments and stylistic components.

Nicely done.

Peter
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/07/19 06:36 AM
Enjoyed the lyrics and your instrumentation choices.

Well done, Janne!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/07/19 02:21 PM
What a cool song!!! There is a great feel to the music.....has the sound of a classic melody....like a pop version of a traditional song!! Really like the band, arrangement, and vocal! Everything works!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: beatmaster Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/07/19 05:44 PM
Runrig , Big Country yea I'm in..

I enjoyed this.. the lyrics.. way out of my league the sound tracks fitted the song really well.

And your vocals suited the song, loved the bagpipes tho !!, all round a big and full sound on this.

Thanks
Posted By: bluage Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/08/19 01:51 AM
‘jannesan’…

The sound of Healer of the Hills has a golden sheen, like an old, forgotten heirloom that's had all the tarnish and discoloration cleaned off it and now shines in the light like a sought-after relic of bygone days. The lyrics are vivid, colorful, as they illuminate a picturesque place in a timeless space, and they also speak of a spiritual way of being that seems to have deep ancestral roots.

The music is lively with an energetic rhythm that keeps the song interesting to listen to, thanks to the inspired selection of Real Tracks. The electric guitar solo is charged and has an ever-ascending feel that is exciting to hear.

Your vocal performance is simply charming! I don’t know if you were trying to do this, but your voice sounds like you were characterizing a person of elderly stature who could be a wandering sage, and possibly possessed of magical powers.

This is a unique song that is saturated with a sense of historical time viewed through a nostalgic lens. It was fun to listen to!

Sincerely,

- bluage -
Posted By: jannesan Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/08/19 04:09 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Overall it's a pretty cool song/arrangement/mix though it sounds like a very aggressive edit at the nine seconds mark.
The good arrangement allows plenty of space in the sound.
I'm a huge fan of the Bodhran and it sounds fine in this song too.
Nothing like a little plain air worship - the music sounded open, fresh and free.
Normally I wouldn't mention it but as you start most lines with "I" it is reasonable, I think, to offer that your pronunciation as "oi" does sound a little odd with so many repetitions.
It's probably not an issue for anyone else but it was noticeable in my headphones
The bagpipes weren't bad and they do give that touch of Big Country, (or Slade's version of Big Country on Run Run Away).
well done Janne.

Thanks Ray, your positive comment is very encouraging smile I hesitated to showcase this because I felt the mix was not good enough in my ears, on headphones it sounded ok, but on speakers there was something strange. But when you didn't find more to complain then it has to be ok wink

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/08/19 04:10 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Janne,
I enjoyed the very descriptive lyric.
The music has a good drive to it. Playful.
fj

Thanks Floyd, I appreciate your positive words smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/08/19 04:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Janne,
Interesting crossover of styles. It is fun & easy to listen. Cool lyrics!
Enjoyed it.
Thank you for sharing!
Misha.

Thanks Misha for your kind feedback smile BIAB makes it really easy to find the right instrument for your vision and even experiment with possible alternatives.

Janne
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/08/19 04:27 PM
Very cool.

The lyric would come close to working for referencing Native American culture.
As Blueage said,"your vocal performance is simply charming! I don’t know if you were trying to do this,
but your voice sounds like you were characterizing a person of elderly stature who could be a wandering sage,
and possibly possessed of magical powers."

The style mashup works well and is nicely supportive of the engaging melody.

And you toped it off with a very good mix.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: Tangmo Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/08/19 06:03 PM
Fantastic lyric and chord progression. The little "jams" in the breaks were especially fun. This is one for your "keeper" folder for sure.
Posted By: dcuny Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/09/19 12:21 AM
I've never heard a song use the word "spoor" before! laugh

Like rayc, the "Oy" for "I" threw me a bit, but I figured it was you being "Oyrish" or something, right? wink

Fun listen! Definitely got the Big Country vibe.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/09/19 12:05 PM
Nicely done - really enjoyed the arrangement, and thought it flowed really well. As others mentioned, the lyrics on this really take it to the next level. Very vivid and it certainly sets a unique atmosphere.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Steve Young Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/09/19 03:23 PM
Very nice, Janne! Good lyrics, and refreshing sound.

Steve
Posted By: jannesan Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/10/19 04:16 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
A big sound, and a good listen. Nice use of different instruments and stylistic components.
Nicely done.
Peter

Thanks Peter, I'm glad you liked it smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/10/19 04:17 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Enjoyed the lyrics and your instrumentation choices.

Well done, Janne!

Thanks Dave for your kind feedback, glad you enjoyed the lyrics smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/10/19 04:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
What a cool song!!! There is a great feel to the music.....has the sound of a classic melody....like a pop version of a traditional song!! Really like the band, arrangement, and vocal! Everything works!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg for your very positive review smile "Pop version of a traditional song" - very nicely said, something like this I really tried to make smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/12/19 09:16 AM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Runrig , Big Country yea I'm in..
I enjoyed this.. the lyrics.. way out of my league the sound tracks fitted the song really well.
And your vocals suited the song, loved the bagpipes tho !!, all round a big and full sound on this.

Thanks beatmaster for your kind review smile I hope there were bagpipe RealTracks and other traditional pipes as well to get more authentic Celtic sound.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/12/19 09:32 AM
Originally Posted By: bluage
The sound of Healer of the Hills has a golden sheen, like an old, forgotten heirloom that's had all the tarnish and discoloration cleaned off it and now shines in the light like a sought-after relic of bygone days. The lyrics are vivid, colorful, as they illuminate a picturesque place in a timeless space, and they also speak of a spiritual way of being that seems to have deep ancestral roots.

The music is lively with an energetic rhythm that keeps the song interesting to listen to, thanks to the inspired selection of Real Tracks. The electric guitar solo is charged and has an ever-ascending feel that is exciting to hear.

Your vocal performance is simply charming! I don’t know if you were trying to do this, but your voice sounds like you were characterizing a person of elderly stature who could be a wandering sage, and possibly possessed of magical powers.

This is a unique song that is saturated with a sense of historical time viewed through a nostalgic lens. It was fun to listen to!

Sincerely,

- bluage -

Thanks bluage for your beautiful in-depth review of my little tune laugh It really cheered me up, and so many new words I had to use translator to understand all of them smile You are almost describing the feeling I had when I first heard that Searchlight album, touchingly timeless, spiritual and still somehow close to my soul from the ancient times. I wrote the lyrics first in 2013 and then revived some parts this year, the main theme was respect of nature, like ancient people had, and the role of a common man to carry the big responsibility (like in LOTR).

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/12/19 09:34 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Very cool.
The lyric would come close to working for referencing Native American culture.
The style mashup works well and is nicely supportive of the engaging melody.
And you toped it off with a very good mix.
Enjoyed it!
J&B

Thanks Janice and Bud, your kind words always mean much to me smile Nice that you mention Native American culture - they too had strong respect for nature.

Janne
Posted By: Scott C Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/13/19 09:02 AM
Cool lyric Janne. Excellent vocal. Super backtrack and choice of instruments... Well done
Posted By: jannesan Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/14/19 04:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Fantastic lyric and chord progression. The little "jams" in the breaks were especially fun. This is one for your "keeper" folder for sure.

Thanks Tangmo for your very positive comment smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/14/19 04:24 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I've never heard a song use the word "spoor" before! laugh

Like rayc, the "Oy" for "I" threw me a bit, but I figured it was you being "Oyrish" or something, right? wink

Fun listen! Definitely got the Big Country vibe.

Thanks David for your nice words smile Strange that I don't hear "oy" in my pronunciation, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong... maybe I need a dialect coach or something like that wink

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/14/19 04:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nicely done - really enjoyed the arrangement, and thought it flowed really well. As others mentioned, the lyrics on this really take it to the next level. Very vivid and it certainly sets a unique atmosphere.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Deryk for your kind review smile I'm especially glad to read words like vivid and unique in the context of my lyrics laugh

Janne
Posted By: Noel96 Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/14/19 09:00 PM
Hi Janne,

I'm sitting here listening as I type. This is a great production and you've created a really, really fine arrangement. In addition, your vocals sound great -- confident and polished

floyd used the word 'playful' in his comments and I have to agree. There is an element of playfulness in this presentation. I think that that might be use to the Celtic influences that you've incorporated. You're a very creative musician!

I thoroughly enjoyed listening!
Noel
Posted By: Birchwood Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/15/19 10:35 AM
Hi Janne,

Wel, this song of yours is really nice! A lovely/funny performance and similar lrics
You must surely be a balladry Bard (though Google could't translate the word Balladry) the way you sing this song. it looks like you did that with a lot of pleasure and probably also with a pint of something. And your accent suits very very nice!
I almost could see you hopping down the hills in a jester suit...

The melody is a bit intriguing. It has a loud guitar and busy percussion, but still gives an easy feeling.
Especially that intermezzo after the chorus works out that way and reminded me of another song (forgot the name of course).

Have a nice day,
Hans
Posted By: jannesan Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/16/19 03:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Very nice, Janne! Good lyrics, and refreshing sound.

Steve

Thanks Steve, nice to read your kind feedback smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/16/19 03:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Cool lyric Janne. Excellent vocal. Super backtrack and choice of instruments... Well done

Thanks Scott, I appreciate your positive review smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/16/19 03:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
I'm sitting here listening as I type. This is a great production and you've created a really, really fine arrangement. In addition, your vocals sound great -- confident and polished

floyd used the word 'playful' in his comments and I have to agree. There is an element of playfulness in this presentation. I think that that might be use to the Celtic influences that you've incorporated. You're a very creative musician!

I thoroughly enjoyed listening!
Noel

Thanks Noel, always pleasure to read your positive feedback smile I really appreciate what you say about my vocals… and "very creative musician" makes me blush blush

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/18/19 11:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Wel, this song of yours is really nice! A lovely/funny performance and similar lrics
You must surely be a balladry Bard (though Google could't translate the word Balladry) the way you sing this song. it looks like you did that with a lot of pleasure and probably also with a pint of something. And your accent suits very very nice!
I almost could see you hopping down the hills in a jester suit...

The melody is a bit intriguing. It has a loud guitar and busy percussion, but still gives an easy feeling.
Especially that intermezzo after the chorus works out that way and reminded me of another song (forgot the name of course).
Have a nice day,
Hans

Thanks Hans for your kind and humorous comment laugh down the hills in a jester suit, that I'm definitely not going to do wink always pleasure to write songs with a pint of B, I mean BIAB of course laugh

Janne
Posted By: cliftond Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/18/19 11:56 AM
Beautiful song, has a flavor of the group Kansas to me, I could sit and watch the deer while listening to this song, reminds me of outside of our house, all woods, animals. CLiff
Posted By: jannesan Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/18/19 12:08 PM
Originally Posted By: cliftond
Beautiful song, has a flavor of the group Kansas to me, I could sit and watch the deer while listening to this song, reminds me of outside of our house, all woods, animals. CLiff

Thanks Cliff for your kind feedback smile Very nice to hear that you live so close to wild nature.

Janne
Posted By: Mark K Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/28/19 06:01 PM
Janne,

Playful bounce to the song. I'm not sure if you ever tried, but I think your voice if driven hard and singing in the lower register would work well in a metal song such as by the group Rammstein. Enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: jannesan Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 10/30/19 12:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Mark K
Janne,
Playful bounce to the song. I'm not sure if you ever tried, but I think your voice if driven hard and singing in the lower register would work well in a metal song such as by the group Rammstein. Enjoyed the listen.

Thanks Mark for your kind comment smile I have made a thrash metal song, but I couldn't sing it like it should be sung, my voice is definitely not strong enough for screaming or growling laugh

Janne
Posted By: Jim Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 11/03/19 04:07 PM
Nicely done...
I enjoyed your combination of instruments & styles...
It all seems to mesh well with the lyrics...
I enjoyed listening.
Posted By: animarorecords Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 11/05/19 01:01 AM
Janne,

Interesting crossover of styles, as rayc said.
I'm glad to listen to these songs from you.
Powerful and tight rhythm is wonderful.
Your challenge to various genres will also encourage me.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: jannesan Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 11/05/19 12:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim
Nicely done...
I enjoyed your combination of instruments & styles...
It all seems to mesh well with the lyrics...
I enjoyed listening.

Thanks Jim for enjoying and your positive feedback smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: A Healer Of The Hills - 11/05/19 12:36 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Interesting crossover of styles, as rayc said.
I'm glad to listen to these songs from you.
Powerful and tight rhythm is wonderful.
Your challenge to various genres will also encourage me.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.
Shigeki Adachi

Thanks Shigeki Adachi, I'm glad to read your heartwarming feedback once again smile I'm very interested in hearing what style you might use in your next song wink

Janne
© PG Music Forums