PG Music Home
Posted By: Steve Young Pro Crastinator - 10/09/19 03:37 PM
This is actually the first song I wrote with Band In A Box, about 8 years ago. I decided it was due an update. So I completely redid it. The original was so dated, it had a reference to a Palm Pilot! smile So I re-wrote the lyrics, completely redid the instrumentation and vocals, and added some talk-over at the end. This is just a fun, tongue in cheek song. I hope you enjoy it!

Pro Crastinator - Lyric Video

Pro Crastinator - SoundCloud Version

I played the organ parts. All the rest is RealTracks/RealDrums...

RealTracks in song: ~684:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesSync Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1726:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm HonkyTonkJohn Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1850:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopShiningGrittyMuted Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 845:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryRockPopping Ev 120 (A:sync)
RealTracks in song: 2635:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryBluesRockHigh Ev 110
RealTracks in song: 2689:Guitar, Electric, Soloist RockBrentSimple Ev 120 (Simple)
RealDrums [in Song:RockHardKick^01-a:Closed Hat, Snare, b:Open Hat, Snare

And here are the lyrics...

Pro Crastinator
©Stephen W. Young

I'm a pro crastinator
There’s nothing amateur about my nature
Some people think I’m lazy, but they don’t understand
That I’m just working on a well-made plan
I’m a pro

I spend my afternoons learning how to Google
To find a job, with good benefits too
They ought to make me the boss, to avoid the loss
From all the things that I refuse to do

Chorus

I’ve been to training sessions and seminars
I’ve got six day planners in the trunk of my car
I’ve got gizmos and gadgets, an iPad or two
Reminding me of what I won't do

Chorus

Solo

Now my family and friends are convinced
That I’m complacent, but I don’t care
Who knows, I might even work up the drive
To finish the words of this…

Mmmm, maybe tomorrow…

Chorus...
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/09/19 04:10 PM
Loved this it was an easy feel ,humorous, Talented song.

Well produced and mixed.

Your vocals do this proud ... and your right Steve you are a pro....operator !.

A bit like Dr Hook to me.

Thanks
Posted By: musician17 Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/09/19 04:27 PM
Yes!!! Brilliant!!! Love it. Danced like crazy in my seat from the very first note ... and when I could hear that piano, I was almost on the ceiling dancing :-)

I can (as more of us than would like to admit it, no doubt!) REALLY relate to the lyrics - and the final talked-over section, particularly the telephone conversation, had me laughing with tears in my eyes.

Technically also, spotlessly done - you may be a pro crastinator, but here it doesn't show in the slightest ... a truly PRO job!!!

Bravo, bravo, bravo - hats off to you, sir.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/10/19 03:20 AM
Shades of Ray Stevens. Funny lyric and the "shout outs" were priceless. That's some high-level putting it off. I look at it this way...if I wait till tomorrow, I'll be able to tackle it with a day's more seniority. I think the band may have been a bit subdued in the mix, but this one is all about the "message", and that's one I can definitely get behind (and stay behind). Much enjoyed.
Posted By: bluage Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/10/19 04:04 AM
Mr. Young...

Well, sir, you sure don't Pro-crastinate on the productions you post to the User's Forum smile.

Your lyrics for the song are so clever and inspired that I'm waiting for a sequel! The dial tone at the end of your abruptly terminated phone call to George Strait's receptionist triggered a a giggle, a laugh, and then a guffaw that had been building up steam from the first verse.

The number of Real Tracks you employed qualifies as an orchestra! The mix is an experience in smooth sailin' sound engineering. At a social event, the song would prompt the patrons to get on their feet and do some fine 'n fancy line dancing!

'A' side, or 'B' side, this one's a grand slam laugh !!!

Thoroughly entertained and tickled,

- bluage -
Posted By: PeterF Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/10/19 05:40 AM
Steve

Loved it, funny clever and catchy.

Loved the lyric jokes at the end and the overall performance was excellent.

Really top notch fun.

Peter
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/10/19 06:46 AM
Well, that was fun!

Love the shout outs to floyd and Noel!

Really well done, enjoyed!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/10/19 08:08 AM
Fun song. As others noted, clever and catchy. I enjoyed my listen.
Posted By: rayc Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/10/19 08:51 AM
Excellent stuff.
Amusing and well structured.
Terrific arrangement and mix too.
My obligatory bit - there are a few chs and esses that cold be tamed but no one else has commented so it's probably just me.
Posted By: dani48 Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/10/19 10:33 AM
Hi, Steve !

Haven´t heard anything better
from you so far though I may
have missed something due to
my long stays away from the computer !

I just simply love this Steve,
that is all I can say !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/10/19 11:07 AM
Nice work! I like how easy going and catchy it is, and boy is it ever oh-so-relatable. Makes for an engaging listen, and I found the mixing job to be top notch too.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/10/19 11:49 AM
"I’ve got gizmos and gadgets, an iPad or two
Reminding me of what I won't do"

HA! Love that. A clever, funny write (without getting "silly"). The ending is LaughOutLoud funny!! (my first cameo!! HA!)

Love the BAND and the overall sound. A sound (and song style) that was huge in 90's Nashville. Well captured.

The mix is "smooth" (of course). Sounds GREAT really loud and well balanced when played soft - always a good test of a mix. Well done.

Terrific.

fj
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/10/19 04:24 PM
A refreshing update. Great delivery, fun lyrics, perfect backings.

Really good throughout and finished off with a really funny ending...

Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/10/19 07:04 PM
Great lyrics, had me chair laughing, very clever!!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/10/19 10:46 PM
Steve,
Nice! Super positive & lighthearted tune. Feels you put a lot of effort in this one. Clever lyrics and very artistic production. Fun!

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/11/19 01:24 AM
Steve,

Very fun, very catch tune . . . some clever turns on the lyrics. And really well put together from a production standpoint. Love the shoutouts to Floyd and Noel at the end . . . a nice inside reference for us BIABers. Vey cool. Enjoyed this!

My best to you.

Deej
Posted By: dcuny Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/11/19 01:46 AM
floyd jane took my adjective - smooth. Smooth vocals, smooth mix. Clever rewrite.

Nice ending! You get the same "on hold" tone that I do! wink
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/11/19 01:21 PM
Really clever, cute song Steve!!! So well written.......love the "finish the words to this......."........classic!!! Really had me laughing!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/11/19 10:21 PM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Loved this it was an easy feel ,humorous, Talented song.

Well produced and mixed.

Your vocals do this proud ... and your right Steve you are a pro....operator !.

A bit like Dr Hook to me.

Thanks

Sorry it took so long to get around to thanking you for your kind words, Beatmaster, but you know...

Originally Posted By: musician17
Yes!!! Brilliant!!! Love it. Danced like crazy in my seat from the very first note ... and when I could hear that piano, I was almost on the ceiling dancing :-)

I can (as more of us than would like to admit it, no doubt!) REALLY relate to the lyrics - and the final talked-over section, particularly the telephone conversation, had me laughing with tears in my eyes.

Technically also, spotlessly done - you may be a pro crastinator, but here it doesn't show in the slightest ... a truly PRO job!!!

Bravo, bravo, bravo - hats off to you, sir.

Thanks so much! Keep dancing! I had a lot of fun with this one.

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Shades of Ray Stevens. Funny lyric and the "shout outs" were priceless. That's some high-level putting it off. I look at it this way...if I wait till tomorrow, I'll be able to tackle it with a day's more seniority. I think the band may have been a bit subdued in the mix, but this one is all about the "message", and that's one I can definitely get behind (and stay behind). Much enjoyed.

Thanks, Tangmo! Appreciate your comments!

===

Steve
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/12/19 03:39 AM
Steve,

I think you are a very versatile person, some time making ballads and some time making such humor songs.
Your vocals are perfect.
Nice ending as David says.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: jannesan Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/12/19 07:51 AM
Funny and catchy pop song, I'm glad you almost managed to finish it wink Great vocals and harmonies, the mix is nicely light and airy.

Janne
Posted By: gruverider Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/12/19 02:07 PM
Wonderful write! and production!

Really enjoyed it!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/13/19 09:10 AM
Steve I think you just described my high school years. Fortunately I outgrew that. Now that I am about to retire I want to get back to that frame of mine lol. Loved the lyric and always an awesome vocal. Super fun backtrack.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/13/19 08:33 PM
Hi Steve ...

My wife would argue that I'm the biggest procrastinator in the history of mankind. I do it quite well! As I told Di the other day, "I was gonna procrastinate on the job you wanted me to do, but I think I'll wait until tomorrow to start that process."

Her response is not appropriate to retell here ... after all, this is a family forum!

Good stuff, Steve. So much fun and absolutely perfectly presented. Totally loved it!

Wishing you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/15/19 04:04 PM
Love the clever funny write, all the "add ons," and the cameos.

As Janice said "eight years was well worth the wait" smile

The mix makes it sound like a live venue featuring a well honed band.

What to say about the vocals? How about...excellent as always.

I'd be pro crastinating for about a decade if I tried to put something like
this together...and make it work this well.

Lot's of fun Mr. Young

J&B

Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/15/19 04:28 PM
THAT was cool. Well thought out and imaginative. I was smiling all the way through and that ending..... wink

And I absolutely agree..... there's nothing on my schedule today that can't be done just as well tomorrow.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/18/19 11:48 AM
Steve, your humor and talent on full display here. Great write and the vocals and production is up to your very high standards. Loved it, Tom
Posted By: cliftond Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/18/19 11:53 AM
Now here is some top notch writing, vocal, instruments, super job Stephen, well made use of BIAB here alos. CLiff
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/21/19 11:57 AM
Hi Steve,

very, very, very funny! And that fun is perfectly wrapped in that gorgeous tune. Everything sounds good to me and your singing is great, too.

And most of all ... think I'm gonna tell you tomorrow, got to think about new adjectives. Or maybe the day after tomorrow...

Nightynight,

Stefan
Posted By: Sundance Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/22/19 12:30 AM
Great sounding song Steve, made me laugh out loud. Hope you had as much fun doing it as I had listening.
Posted By: Mark K Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/28/19 10:54 PM
The ad-libs are great. What a fun and engaging listen. Top notch production and mixing. Enjoyed.
Posted By: Jim Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/31/19 06:44 PM
A very creative song...
I love it...
Because I can relate to it...
But......
When are you going to finish writing it wink
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Pro Crastinator - 10/31/19 07:03 PM
Hi Steve,

What a listen!

Once again, you've manage to surpass what I define as "excellent music". I am a huge fan of your ability to write, to sing, to arrange, to orchestrate and to produce. Your musical skills are truly admirable. I love the way you lyrically play with "pro" and "procrastinator".

I'm still over the moon that my name is sandwiched between two musical heavy-weights such as floyd jane and George Strait! That's probably the closest I'll ever get to fame smile

Thank you for seriously making my day. I'm still smiling!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Pro Crastinator - 11/14/19 02:23 PM
I've been intending to respond to all of your wonderfully kind comments on this one but, well, you know...

I think it is so ironic that shortly after finishing and posting this song, an onslaught of life hit me head on! Mostly good things, and I am okay, but just all the stuff that life is made of teamed up at once and demanded all my time. I am slowly but surely getting a handle on my time, and intend to spend more of it with you fine folks.

I have commented many times that my forum friends here have become like an extended family to me over the past decade. Over this time, we've lost some really good friends, and gained even more good friends. I have seen some mediocre writers and performers develop into really good producers over this time, largely due to the phenomenal tools that Band In A Box gives us. Some of us don't really even care how good we are, we just love music, and BB gives us the opportunity to release a fresh expression of human emotions, and that's a good thing.

In this Thankgsgiving season, I would like to express my gratitude for all the kindness and goodness that is consistently displayed in this forum. I have visited other forums over the years, some good and some not so good. But this forum is overwhelmingly the most welcoming, and caring that I have seen. Thank you to all my friends here for giving me a place to park and share my creations with yours.

And thank you to Mr. Gannon, and all the great staff at PG Music. You guys are the best!

- Steve
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Pro Crastinator - 11/17/19 09:25 PM
Great work again Steve!! Everything and I mean everything you post is super high quality work!! Your vocals here once again are in top form! Great fun song! By the way, If George ever heard one of your tunes, I believe he would take your call!! Thanks, Torrey
© PG Music Forums