PG Music Home
Posted By: Deej56 Just a Dream - 10/11/19 01:41 AM
Hi, all:

Some weeks back Dave Rice and I got to thinking it might be worth working on a second tune together . . . and this is the one we chose, a song Dave had written and recorded some years ago. I really liked Dave's original version, a sweet sounding county ballad . . . so rather than trying to recreate it, I thought I'd try to take this cover in a little different direction. For better or worse, that road led us to this version of the song. We hope you enjoy the listen (and I hope I did Dave's lovely song some degree of justice). Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Here's the song:

JUST A DREAM

Here are the lyrics:

I close my eyes, then they appear,
and I still feel it can’t be true . . .
those peaceful times I hold so dear
return again . . . and I’m with you . . .
I’m with you.

Then night descends and it begins;
the visions fade and I’m afraid
you won’t return, I’ll never learn . . .
It’s just a dream… I’ll never learn….
It’s just a dream.

To my surprise the dreams return.
It’s so surreal; I’m still with you.
Your visions rise and teardrops burn.
The way I feel . . . it can’t be true . . .
It can’t be true.

Then night descends and it begins;
it starts to fade and I’m afraid
It’s just a dream.

And here's the band:

Drums: Rock Thrash Half Time Ev16^9
Bass: Real 1825, Electric, PopModern Groove Held
Guitar: Real 839, Pop Ballad Clean
Guitar: Real 639 Electric, Hard Rock Thrash
Guitar: Real 642 Electric, Hard Rock Thrash Hollow
Guitar (Lead): Real 2690 Slow 16ths Pop (Simple)
Piano: Real 2461, New Age Pretty
Synth: Real 2704 Cloud Rap Low Organ

Words and Music by Dave Rice
Vocals and Arrangement by DJ Lekich
Posted By: rayc Re: Just a Dream - 10/11/19 05:50 AM
It has the hallmarks of a Roy Orbison drama ballad.
I'd be inclined to slap some classic guitar delay on the solo though.
That effect on the repeat or delay of "It's just a dream" at the end & just before the play out solo starts seems to have driven the demons of essing a little nuts.
I reckon you could add some dynamics to the choruses - a gentle lift of a couple of things to add some more drama or slowly ramp up that organ so that the song builds and builds and builds again.
All just thoughts - as it is it's Cool and well crafted.
Cool
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Just a Dream - 10/11/19 06:15 AM
This was nice loved the lyrics your voice compliments all you have done here, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat comes to mind.

The guitars and the feel of the song gives a dynamic feel to this.

(Ah-Ahh) loved it. L.O.L.

Thanks
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Just a Dream - 10/11/19 11:09 AM
Deej,

Terrific job on this. Your skills with BIAB and with your mixes are "shining" these days. Your vocal on this is excellent - it has a nice "roundness" to it and sits well in the mix.

Excellent arrangement. The guitar solos are superb (I like ray's suggestion about a delay). I thought the drums could have been a little louder and "bigger" for the style.

Who knew Dave was such a fine ROCK writer!! A super nice guy. Tell him I said "Hi!" (JPF is so little about music and so very toxic these days I couldn't take it anymore).

Y'all did good on this. Enjoyed.

fj
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Just a Dream - 10/11/19 11:11 AM
What a tune! Nicely catchy and really easy on the ears. I liked the instrumentation as well, and your vocals fit with it really well. Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: musician17 Re: Just a Dream - 10/11/19 12:01 PM
I want to say extraordinary, but scared you'll think I'm exaggerating. So what ... I genuinely find it so. It took me back to those "peaceful times" in my life also, and I don't think there's a soul alive who wouldn't identify with those lyrics, which you sing with your customary raw sincerity. On the technical side, it's (I will say it) staggering how professionally done this sounds. But, as you may have realised by now, I don't care about technicalities - this is a stunning song, stunning lyrics that say it all in only a few words, stunningly and heartwrenchingly delivered. And that's what matters to me. Hats off to both of you.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Just a Dream - 10/11/19 01:57 PM
This is really lovely!! Such a great production! Such a pleasant listen! Excellent!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Just a Dream - 10/11/19 09:28 PM
Hey Deej,

This is an excellent listen.

Your vocals are perfect for carrying these lyrics. From start to finish, I was mesmerised by the journey you and Dave carried me on.

I really like the rhyme scheme used for the verses here. You and Dave have been meticulous in maintaining the rhyme and lyrical rhythm and it leads to a wonderful presentation. When I separate the lyrics into the sung phrases, it's easy to see the ABCABCC rhyme's motion.

Quote:
(A) I close my eyes
(B) then they appear,
(C) and I still feel it can’t be true . . .
(A) those peaceful times
(B) I hold so dear
(C) return again and I’m with you . . .
(C) I’m with you.

Personally, I always find it fascinating to try and understand why some song lyrics work so well. These lyrics worked for me and the rhyme scheme is certainly one of the big reasons 'why'.

I really enjoyed this work of yours and Dave's immensely.

All the best,
Noel

Posted By: Steve Young Re: Just a Dream - 10/11/19 09:55 PM
Love it! For some reason, it sort of reminds me of some of Pink Floyd.

Nicely done!

Steve
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Just a Dream - 10/11/19 11:43 PM
Really classic slow rock, with an excellent delivery from all aspects.

Everything about this song works so well. The key change is a really cool feature. Thoroughly enjoyed this.
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Just a Dream - 10/12/19 03:08 AM
Deej,

Wonderful Song!
I agree with floyd.
Terrific job on this.
Your skills with BIAB and with your mixes are "shining" these days.
Your vocal on this is excellent - it has a nice "roundness" to it and sits well in the mix.
The modulation in the middle is wonderful.
I think it has a great effect on this tune.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: jannesan Re: Just a Dream - 10/12/19 08:05 AM
Classic rock ballad with excellent chording. Noel already mentioned the rhyming scheme in the verses, I also like the way it changes in the chorus. Great solo guitar selection. Piano sounds quite distant and ethereal, maybe that is intentional? Your interpretation of the lyrics is goosebumpingly amazing.

Janne
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Just a Dream - 10/12/19 01:08 PM
Smooth collaboration! Everything in arrangement works very well to my ears. Vocals are super!
Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Just a Dream - 10/13/19 06:29 AM
Man, what a vocal!

Love the write and I really like the production too, track sounds good!

Really good song, nice collaboration!
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Just a Dream - 10/15/19 01:50 AM
rayc, beatmaster, Floyd, Deryk, James, Greg, Noel, Steve, VideoTrack, Shigeki, Janne, Misha, and BlueAttitude:

Thanks so much for giving this a listen and the great feedback. It’s usually one step forward and two steps back on my efforts . . . so it’s nice to hear this one generally worked out pretty well. Dave is such a terrific guy, and I didn’t want to disappoint.

rayc and Floyd: I’ve posted a modest remix that ups the lead vocal a bit, ups the drums a bit, and adds some delay on the lead guitar. Hoping it’s a slight improvement and I didn’t overdo anything.

Floyd: I sent Dave a link to this thread, so hopefully he pops in for a visit and sees your comment. I let him know you send your regards.

beatmaster: LOL! smile

James: You do wonderful things for my confidence! Thanks so much for the kind words.

Noel: The lyrics and rhyme scheme are all Dave’s. I often tinker with my collaborator’s melodies and lyrics, as Dave knows . . . but not here. It all just worked.

Steve: Great ears! Here’s what I wrote to Dave Rice when I sent him the first draft: “The song isn’t quite as alternative rock as I had thought I would go . . . it’s more a straightforward rock ballad (though there’s a hint of Pink Floyd in there a bit).”

Janne: The piano is pretty much the sound I was shooting for . . . I wanted something dreamy. The early drafts were a bit too much, so I took off some of the reverb and brightened it a bit, still trying to keep that same feel. I had also done a version with a stripped intro playing only that ethereal piano and layering in the guitars later, but Dave and i both agreed it was a bit too sleepy of an intro. Nice set of ears on you as well!

Thanks one and all for the input!

Deej
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Just a Dream - 10/15/19 10:52 AM
Hello Deej,

This song cuts through your vains, I should say!
It is beautifully performed and at the end you wanna die, 'cause there is no hope left. Just a dream...
All suffering one can imagine is situated in your voice. And I mean that as a big compliment.
I couldn't add more compliments to what others already told you. It's just a good song!
What I also liked was how the drums enter in the song, Rock Trash half time. Did you put them on halftime yourself, or do I say something stupid now?

Hans
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Just a Dream - 10/15/19 05:49 PM
"Then night descends and it begins;
the visions fade and I’m afraid
It’s just a dream."

Strong!

Nice collab with a nice person.

Rock on Dave!

An emotional write and an emotional soulful vocal -- what a good and
somewhat rare combination. Stellar.

Also a nice production featuring a tight band...sounds like those guys
have been at it for a while smile Excellent choice with that lead guitar.
Mix sounds excellent on the monitors.

Well done and worthy of many plays or streams or whatever nowadays!

J&B

PS Hi from us to Dave. Ask him to drop by! smile
Posted By: PeterF Re: Just a Dream - 10/15/19 07:17 PM

Excellent song nice effects and a lovely big sound.

I'm listening to the latest mix and it sounds very good in all aspects.

Top notch.

Peter
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Just a Dream - 10/15/19 07:25 PM
Wow, this got to me. Despite the title, I found myself hoping it wasn't a dream. Powerful. And great singing as usual.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Just a Dream - 10/16/19 12:45 AM
Really nice - the lyrics, vocals and effects do a great job capturing the emotional moment and transporting me there.
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Just a Dream - 10/21/19 12:05 PM
Hi Deej,

that's just awesome. A very good composition, greatly arranged by a good choice of RTs. Fine solos, too.Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Regards,

Stefan
Posted By: Mark K Re: Just a Dream - 10/29/19 03:04 PM
Loved your vocals. The harmony/backing vocal gave me a David Bowie vibe. Guitar solos fit in nicely. Enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: Jim Re: Just a Dream - 10/29/19 03:24 PM
Nicely written & performed...
I really enjoyed listening.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Just a Dream - 11/09/19 04:17 AM
Hans, J&B, Peter, Tunemonger, David, Stefan, Mark and Jim:

Thanks to you all for the kind comments. Glad you each seemed to enjoy the listen. My best to you all.

Deej
Posted By: Scott C Re: Just a Dream - 11/10/19 12:01 PM
This one slipped by me. So glad I had a listen. This is such an excellent song. Super vocal and just loved the backtrack and chord selection. Guitar was excellent. Very cool tone and phrasing... Well done
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Just a Dream - 11/10/19 12:18 PM
Scott,

Thanks for the listen and support. I"m please it was worth the spin!

My best to you,

Deej
© PG Music Forums