PG Music Home
Posted By: Will Josef Air 2019 - A JSB Variation - 10/14/19 12:14 AM
I recently listened to some very talented musicians playing a concert with Bach music and got inspired to make this piece. I hope you like it!

Air 2019 - A JSB Variation

RealTracks used:
RT2482
RT2718
RT1856
RT2718
RT2866
RT2863
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Air 2019 - A JSB Variation - 10/14/19 12:24 AM
Will, beautifully presented. This really captures the classical style so well, and then takes a pleasant twist with the piano.

Tell us more about the instruments and styles you used.
(Edit: the RealTracks list were added as I typed!)
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Air 2019 - A JSB Variation - 10/14/19 08:50 AM
Nice flow along sound.

Thanks
Posted By: bluage Re: Air 2019 - A JSB Variation - 10/15/19 04:22 AM
'Will Josef'...

Well, well, well, let's just see what we have, here, shall we, in this song of yours, Air 2019 - A JSB variation smile.

We have imagination...invention...passion...sensitivity...a understated sense of melancholy blended with moments of quiet joy...an obvious appreciation of classical musical form...and a piano section that takes a brief flight from the past into the present to deliver just a taste, a portent, of a modern pop, or even a jazz sensibility. I thought the piece was just about to make a hard turn around a corner and morph into something even more exciting, and cool, that would rock, even! But then, you return to the serenity of 'well-tempered' music-making and close the piece so quietly that it's like leaving a chapel after vespers.

If this represents what you are inspired to compose after listening "to some very talented musicians playing a concert with Bach music", I sure hope you keep your ears wide open and very busy, so us Users' Forum members can pick some more fruit off of the limbs of your eclectic musical tree!

LOREN (a.k.a. 'bluage')
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Air 2019 - A JSB Variation - 10/15/19 05:40 AM
Hi Will,

I am really enjoying listening to this creation. It travels really nicely.

It's very easy to hear the influence of Johann Sebastian and I greatly admire your creativity and sense of adventure.

Right now I can hear hints of "Air On G A String" and "Sheep May Safely Graze". Whoa! This is interesting... you've added a swing lilt! That was unexpected and got me sitting upright. Ahh... it's back to the Baroque styling now. The feeling of returning to the original style is very restful as the jazzier section.

This is a really lovely musical journey.
Noel
Posted By: rayc Re: Air 2019 - A JSB Variation - 10/15/19 07:29 AM
Will,
ambitious!
You pulled it off pretty well I think.
I do hear the bowed bass "dragging" rather than underpinning the piece though.
That could be becasue there's not a lot in the middle ground so it gets a lot of sonic space. A cello, oboe or similar would cover that territory - ah - here comes a cello and does just that.
Nice.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Air 2019 - A JSB Variation - 10/15/19 08:58 AM
Hi Will,

I can understand you got inspired when listening to 'Air'. It's a very beautiful song.
And you challenged yourself enormously with making your own impression of it. That in itself is worth a big compliment. A Dutch band in the late 70's called Focus did the same with the same song. It must be on internet I believe. One of them became very famous...
But in your performance, I have to agree with Loren, it appears your focus has been a bit too broad. Halfway your song I began to feel a bit unresty, although your playing is very nice. I couldn't do it, or dare to. that's why I only make my own songs grin

I hope you won't see this as a criticism, because that was not my point I wanted to make. I hope we can learn from each other all the time.

Hans
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Air 2019 - A JSB Variation - 10/16/19 01:24 PM
Nice flowing journey...like a rippling stream.

Enjoyed it.

J&B
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Air 2019 - A JSB Variation - 10/17/19 07:50 PM
Sorry for my late replies... I had some issues in real life that demanded my full attention for a few days...

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Will, beautifully presented. This really captures the classical style so well, and then takes a pleasant twist with the piano.

Tell us more about the instruments and styles you used.
(Edit: the RealTracks list were added as I typed!)

Thanks for you kind words and thank you for reminding me of listing the RT's.

Will
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Air 2019 - A JSB Variation - 10/17/19 07:51 PM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Nice flow along sound.

Thanks

Thanks for listening, beatmaster!
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Air 2019 - A JSB Variation - 10/17/19 07:54 PM
Originally Posted By: bluage
'Will Josef'...

Well, well, well, let's just see what we have, here, shall we, in this song of yours, Air 2019 - A JSB variation smile.

We have imagination...invention...passion...sensitivity...a understated sense of melancholy blended with moments of quiet joy...an obvious appreciation of classical musical form...and a piano section that takes a brief flight from the past into the present to deliver just a taste, a portent, of a modern pop, or even a jazz sensibility. I thought the piece was just about to make a hard turn around a corner and morph into something even more exciting, and cool, that would rock, even! But then, you return to the serenity of 'well-tempered' music-making and close the piece so quietly that it's like leaving a chapel after vespers.

If this represents what you are inspired to compose after listening "to some very talented musicians playing a concert with Bach music", I sure hope you keep your ears wide open and very busy, so us Users' Forum members can pick some more fruit off of the limbs of your eclectic musical tree!

LOREN (a.k.a. 'bluage')

Hi LOREN,
Like so many times before you almost make me blush with your kind words about my humble attempts to make something interesting with BiaB. Your kind comments are very much appreciated!
Will
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Air 2019 - A JSB Variation - 10/17/19 08:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Will,

I am really enjoying listening to this creation. It travels really nicely.

It's very easy to hear the influence of Johann Sebastian and I greatly admire your creativity and sense of adventure.

Right now I can hear hints of "Air On G A String" and "Sheep May Safely Graze". Whoa! This is interesting... you've added a swing lilt! That was unexpected and got me sitting upright. Ahh... it's back to the Baroque styling now. The feeling of returning to the original style is very restful as the jazzier section.

This is a really lovely musical journey.
Noel

Originally Posted By: rayc
Will,
ambitious!
You pulled it off pretty well I think.
I do hear the bowed bass "dragging" rather than underpinning the piece though.
That could be becasue there's not a lot in the middle ground so it gets a lot of sonic space. A cello, oboe or similar would cover that territory - ah - here comes a cello and does just that.
Nice.

Hi Noel and rayc,

Thank you to both of you for listening. I decided to keep my answer to your kind comments in the same post, because you both circle around the fact that there is a sort of sonic or style/stylish "resolve" in the last part of the song, which is exactly what I intended. I'm glad that you noticed that.

Your comments are very much appreciated. Thank you!

Will
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Air 2019 - A JSB Variation - 10/17/19 08:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Will,

I can understand you got inspired when listening to 'Air'. It's a very beautiful song.
And you challenged yourself enormously with making your own impression of it. That in itself is worth a big compliment. A Dutch band in the late 70's called Focus did the same with the same song. It must be on internet I believe. One of them became very famous...
But in your performance, I have to agree with Loren, it appears your focus has been a bit too broad. Halfway your song I began to feel a bit unresty, although your playing is very nice. I couldn't do it, or dare to. that's why I only make my own songs grin

I hope you won't see this as a criticism, because that was not my point I wanted to make. I hope we can learn from each other all the time.

Hans

Hi Hans,

Thanks for listening!
I grew up with the music from Focus and Jan Akkerman. I really liked it in the 70s. I still remember "Sylvia" and "Hokus Pokus", but I cannot recall a version of Air. I will have to look for that on youtube.

Anyway... I just made this tune inspired by a recent concert and wanted to share it with you guys... I have no intention of publishing it to a broader audience... I know my limitations. smile

All the best to you,
Will
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Air 2019 - A JSB Variation - 10/17/19 08:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Nice flowing journey...like a rippling stream.

Enjoyed it.

J&B

Janice & Bud,

Thanks a lot for listening - it is very much appreciated!
Will
Posted By: edshaw Re: Air 2019 - A JSB Variation - 10/17/19 09:34 PM
Great, Will !
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Air 2019 - A JSB Variation - 10/21/19 12:20 PM
Will, Will, Will - if anyone should be called Master of BIAB you're on top of my list.

I've loved air for all my life so much - it's so beautiful that it may work in many arrangements. But this one really stands out. Congratulations on this very, very fine and beautifully sounding production. It's just AWESOME !!!!

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Air 2019 - A JSB Variation - 10/21/19 10:33 PM
Will,
Nicely put together interpretation. Very cool & soothing arrangement. Piano was a nice addition, it stirred things in a modern direction smile Enjoyed it!

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Air 2019 - A JSB Variation - 10/21/19 10:39 PM
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Great, Will !

Thanks for listening, edshaw!
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Air 2019 - A JSB Variation - 10/21/19 10:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Will, Will, Will - if anyone should be called Master of BIAB you're on top of my list.

I've loved air for all my life so much - it's so beautiful that it may work in many arrangements. But this one really stands out. Congratulations on this very, very fine and beautifully sounding production. It's just AWESOME !!!!

Take care,

Stefan

You are so kind, Stefan! Thanks a lot for listening!

Will
Posted By: Scott C Re: Air 2019 - A JSB Variation - 10/22/19 07:07 PM
What a cool song Will. Well done
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Air 2019 - A JSB Variation - 10/23/19 01:30 PM
Will,
Deceptively simple- the tempo change @1:10 was a surprise- a very creative one that makes the resolution back to pastoral sounds even lovelier.AAh there`s the cello to swell the emotion-very well done!

Robert
Posted By: Mark K Re: Air 2019 - A JSB Variation - 10/29/19 05:42 PM
Really liked when the piano "jumped" in. Enjoyed the listen.
© PG Music Forums