PG Music Home
Posted By: musician17 Oh, What Wonderful News - 10/16/19 05:35 AM
SO sorry to share so many songs in such a short period of time. I promise I don't want to flood the forum or torture you endlessly with my songs :-) But ...

... this is one that my grandparents used to sing to me when I was a baby, at Christmas time. I know this is of special meaning to myself only, but I really thought this particular Christmas carol is worth sharing (yes, I know, it's not yet Christmas and this is my second Christmas song on this forum already - sorry :-) ), particularly since I just found out it's in the public domain - and because, as far as I'm aware, at least, it's not well-known at all (in the Western world, at least).

So, in brief (because I'm late for my doctor's appointment, too, haha), I woke up early this morning and got to work on it. Here's what I ended up with - hope you love this piece as much as I do - it's not about my efforts this time, it's purely because I think it's a stunning piece and it's amazing what the composer did with only two chords here: the tonic and the dominant. Enjoy :-)

https://soundcloud.com/jamesdelsono/oh-what-wonderful-news

The piano melody track is done with Sibelius / Kontakt 5 Upright Piano. EDIT: just added a panpipe (from NotePerfomer) in the final section.

P.S. THANK YOU PG Music ... I never thought I'd find a backing track for such a piece as this one ... and yet, you came up with the goods once more. Bravi :-)

EDIT: just added an orchestral version :-) Hope you like.

https://soundcloud.com/jamesdelsono/oh-what-wonderful-news-orchestral-version

Here, added panpipes (NotePerformer), horns and strings (Kontakt 5) - 25% reverb on the horns and mixed in Audacity.

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Oh, What Wonderful News
File:Oh, What Wonderful News.SGU
Key=Eb , Tempo 155, Length (m:s)=3:09
4 bar intro, 52 bar chorus, from bar 5 to bar 56. Repeat x3 choruses
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is HRPORK34.STY (Orchestral Waltz w/ Harp)
Style MIDI Instruments are : Slow Strings (50), Orchestral Strings (47), French Horn (61), Slow Strings (50),
MIDI Drums :1 Standard Drum Kit (1)

Posted By: floyd jane Re: Oh, What Wonderful News - 10/16/19 11:58 AM
A pleasant listen, James.

(the piano chord at 3:02 sounds a bit discordant).
Posted By: musician17 Re: Oh, What Wonderful News - 10/16/19 02:26 PM
Thanks floyd! Yes, there are a couple of "bugs" in the piano track, I've just noticed. I'll deal with them asap (i.e. tomorrow, most probably). Brilliant ear, thanks for noticing!!! :-)
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Oh, What Wonderful News - 10/19/19 11:02 AM
Man, you do get in the Christmas mood early! smile

We listened to both and tend to favor the orchestral version a wee bit.

Lovely,

J&B
Posted By: musician17 Re: Oh, What Wonderful News - 10/19/19 01:39 PM
Haha, re: getting into the Christmas mood early! Guilty as charged, I'm afraid :-)

This wasn't so much about me, but about bringing this beautiful carol to more people's attention through arranging it with Band-in-a-Box ... so I'm so happy you liked it! It's beautiful music, isn't it? :-)

Thanks again for listening and for your kind comment!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Oh, What Wonderful News - 10/20/19 07:25 PM
Very pretty music!! I would use a different sound for the broken chords.....kind of sounds like a timer. Really enjoyed the piece! Thanks for posting! Take care. Greg
Posted By: musician17 Re: Oh, What Wonderful News - 10/21/19 10:40 AM
Thanks Greg! I'll see what I can do for the broken chords ... hope I can find a similar instrument in BIAB that does that effect ... if not, I may have to write it by hand and I hope I don't have to, purely for time constraints - but, if need be, I will. Many thanks again!
© PG Music Forums