PG Music Home
Posted By: TuneMonger Regular Basis - 10/17/19 09:01 PM
https://soundcloud.com/user-770148857/regular-basis

770 Bass, 771 Piano, 938 Guitar, 2376 Phil Woods alto, 2593 Crooner Horns vocals by Sam Ford of fiverr

I did this thinking 1920s or so, which may help explain some of the lyrics.

So much in this world flies by, everything moves so fast,
If it slows, it's bound to die, nothing seems to last
But what if I told you that I've got, a notion to change all of that,
Maybe we might have just one shot, a motion to seal things pat,

Could we be a gal and guy, on a regular basis?
If you need a reason why just, look at our faces,
Oh, I've never known such elation, and I'm not the type to jive,
A regular basis would put us aces high

Things don't get fixed anymore, folks buy something new
Darn your socks, no, damn those socks and in the trash, they're through
But what if I've figured a way out, to change things just for us?
Maybe I've secured a bailout, arranged things with no muss?

Repeat chorus

Sax break

Repeat chorus
Put us aces high...
Put us aces high...

Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Regular Basis - 10/18/19 02:57 AM
Well, you certainly captured that 1920's feel perfectly.

The crooner horns slotted in so extremely well.

I wasn't sure of some of the timing of the phrasing in the vocals, but I'm assuming that's what you were looking for. Nevertheless, great job.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Regular Basis - 10/18/19 04:51 AM
Hey Videotrack, thanks, I wasn't happy with the vox, I get one revision for my money and I think I will ask for it. I'm not sure how to describe to him what it needs. He just needs to sing more with the beat? Any suggestions appreciated.
Posted By: rayc Re: Regular Basis - 10/18/19 06:01 AM
Send the singer a mix with the bass, drums and guitar and ask him to sing to the beat.
It may be that the horn riffs and piano stabs put him off or he hears crooning as across the beat but needs to swing with it.
In addition you can cut up the vocal into phrases and slide them about to sit better.
Nice work - he's a bit essy as well.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Regular Basis - 10/18/19 06:11 AM
Good song, certainly has that old time feel in both the lyrics and groove.

I agree with Trev about the vocal, it doesn't feel right. Not sure how best to explain it to the singer, needs to be more syncopated maybe?
Posted By: Scott C Re: Regular Basis - 10/18/19 10:34 AM
Cool tune and vocal. Well done
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Regular Basis - 10/18/19 11:11 AM
TuneMonger,

You really nailed the era with the write. Both the lyric and melody.
The arrangement/production, too...
A good mix.

"Things don't get fixed anymore, folks buy something new
Darn your socks, no, damn those socks and in the trash, they're through"

Nice.

I agree that the vocal needs a re-do. Sam's tone is perfect for the song/style, but as Dave suggested, it needs syncopation - it's too "smooth". I'd suggest finding an old song with that syncopated kind of vocal to give him the idea of what you envision - that shouldn't be too hard...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSrHvNr8QQQ
(get past the intro section into the "I get a kick..")

Very cool song.

fj
Posted By: cliftond Re: Regular Basis - 10/18/19 11:15 AM
You did a great job on this song, vocal and instruments both off the charts!!! Cliff
Posted By: bluage Re: Regular Basis - 10/18/19 03:04 PM
'Tunemonger' & Mr. Ford...

As I listened to Regular Basis, it wasn't necessary for me to close my eyes, even, to see a high-ceilinged, expansive ballroom decorated for some popular holiday, the dance floor a-swirl with smiling, cheek-to-cheek couples enraptured by the cool bounce of the rhythm section, the mellow horn arrangement, and the easy, almost teasing vocal styling of Mr. Ford. The lyrics are inspired, playful and hiply romantic. The Real Tracks are arranged in a manner that truly shows-off Band-in-a-Box's 'crooner' style.

Gents, this is smooth, sleek n' swingin' big band-styled dance music for people who love to dance...like me!

- bluage -
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Regular Basis - 10/19/19 10:52 AM
Maybe more post 20's and into the Big Band era especially with the horn section.

This is one of our favorite genres of many smile

My parents listened to it and the two of us frequently return to it.
Benny Goodman live at Carnegie Hall is one of our go tos . Recorded
live in the 1930's over a telephone line and it sounds amazing.

Sorry to get off track smile

All meaning this is in our wheelhouse and we enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Regular Basis - 10/19/19 06:06 PM
Sam revised the vocal and it's much better now. He might've gone too much in the other direction now but it's still a major improvement. Thanks to all for the help, it's great to have other opinions, especially since I wasn't sure if I were right. Rayc, I did send him a barebones backing track, seems to have helped. Floyd, I sent him a link to a video I liked on singing swing and it included a sample song, so I imagine that helped as well.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Regular Basis (new vocal) - 10/19/19 06:21 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Sam revised the vocal and it's much better now. He might've gone too much in the other direction now but it's still a major improvement. Thanks to all for the help, it's great to have other opinions, especially since I wasn't sure if I were right. Rayc, I did send him a barebones backing track, seems to have helped. Floyd, I sent him a link to a video I liked on singing swing and it included a sample song, so I imagine that helped as well.

"...gone too much in the other direction.."

Definitely NOT!!

Sam's new vocal is a DELIGHT. Just what it needs to be. Has all that "Frank swagger" to it...

SO very nice! The song is a scorcher!

fj
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Regular Basis (new vocal) - 10/19/19 07:41 PM
I really love the 1920s inspiration with the song. I actually really enjoy music inspired by the 20s. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Regular Basis (new vocal) - 10/19/19 10:23 PM
Excellent song and comments. Everyone has said something about your vocalist, Sam. The thing I like is his elocution is very clear. Every word is precise.

The overall mix is spot on. Radio quality and well balanced
Posted By: PeterF Re: Regular Basis - 10/20/19 02:13 AM
Listened to the original but didn't comment - the vocal now sounds very nice.

Really captures the vibe of the era - very good work indeed.

Peter
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Regular Basis - 10/20/19 07:31 PM
Excellent job!!! I love this style myself.....will post one in the near future. This is very well composed and written.....your lyrics really capture that classic songwriting style! Vocal is also very, very good! LOVE THIS!!! Take care. Greg

P.S. Love the basis/faces rhyme.... fresh and clever!!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Regular Basis - 10/21/19 11:00 PM
TuneMonger,
Nice track! I only heard it now, with revised vocals... To me it sounds super!
Great job of putting this all together! 1920s is a special, game changing period in music. I believe you captured the mood of the era. Enjoyed it!
Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Regular Basis - 10/21/19 11:33 PM
Sounds terrific! I could see/hear Michael Buble doing this. Great lyrics and arrangement. Well done.
Posted By: bluage Re: Regular Basis - 10/22/19 12:34 AM
'Tunemonger' and Mr. Ford...

Just listened to the 'new' version -- pure sterling on silver, gents smile.

This is a song that will bring joy to every girl and boy, and I don't mean only at Christmas !!!

I'll be listening out for more...and, on a Regular Basis, too laugh.

LOREN (a.k.a. 'bluage')
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Regular Basis - 10/22/19 04:05 AM
Hi TuneMonger,

cool song, very appealing lyrics and - you know IÄm a horn section maniac - I LOVE the arrangement a lot.

Can't say that the tune reminds me of the roaring twenties, because I may be old, but not THAT old (others seem to be LOL).

As to the vocals: My feeling twords them switched to and fro - on the one side I like the voice's tone, on the other hand I felt that something wasn't okay with the timing. I think Ray is absolutely right: The horns may make it a bit complicated to keep the beat.

But nevertheless: A truly nice thing !

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Regular Basis - 10/22/19 08:29 AM
Hi Tunemonger,

I first listened to this with the original vocal and today when I returned to have another listen, I could immediately hear the difference. The vocal and the backing are definitely sailing along in the same boat now. It's a great song and a really enjoyable listen.

Tin Pan Alley music is my all-time favourite genre and you've composed a song that sits comfortably in this period. The big bands were amazing. I must compliment your singer, too. Sam Ford has just the right voice to transport listeners to yesteryear!

You instrument choices, your arrangement and your mixing are a real credit to you!

I was with you all the way
Noel
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Regular Basis - 10/22/19 08:31 AM
The whole song transported me to that era we see and hear in films of that time, it was brilliantly done.

I then had a problem , who is Sam from fivver ?, your writing buddy ?,

Mixing ,production are all bang on.

Thanks
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Regular Basis - 10/28/19 09:27 PM
Hi Beatmaster,

Sam Efford (Sam Ford) is a singer for hire on fiverr.com. I'm very happy with his work, would recommend him to anyone, and he's quite reasonable, as well.

Thanks again to all for your help with getting this tune right. I appreciate it a lot. It was a lot of work. The horns particularly, took six hours (six renders, then cutting and pasting in the DAW the parts that fit the song best.) They were far from perfect and probably not even good compared to what a horn arranger could do, but I was very happy with the result and once again amazed at what power exists in BIAB.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Regular Basis - 10/28/19 09:53 PM
Things don't get fixed anymore, folks buy something new
Darn your socks, no, damn those socks and in the trash, they're through
But what if I've figured a way out, to change things just for us?
Maybe I've secured a bailout, arranged things with no muss?

Clever lyrics Tunemonger!
Sweet arrangement,love the horns and a great feel to the singers tone ( can you put up a link to that swing vocal video- need help there myself).
Very cool song and collaboration.

Robert
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Regular Basis - 10/29/19 01:37 AM
Hello TuneMonger,

Nice Jazz song!
I entirely agree with Trevor(VideoTrack).
You certainly captured that 1920's feel perfectly.
The crooner horns slotted in so extremely well.
It's a treasure for anyone who likes this genre of music.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: dcuny Re: Regular Basis - 10/29/19 01:52 AM
Nice work! Whatever the issues were with the singer, they were fixed by the time I got to it.

Good job with the horns! laugh
Posted By: Mark K Re: Regular Basis - 10/30/19 01:59 PM
Professional radio ready quality. I didn't listen before vocal redo - like the end result. Sam sounds like someone you should continue a work relation on future projects. Enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: Jim Re: Regular Basis - 11/02/19 05:00 PM
Songs like this fall into no time period...
They are timeless...
I really enjoy listening...
In fact I playing it again!
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Regular Basis - 11/02/19 08:40 PM
Oh yeah! You are right on the money with this. It's like I'm spinning a 78. Sounds great in all aspects: vocal, melody, instrumentation, and production.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Regular Basis - 11/03/19 12:41 AM
Hello!

Loved it! My wife and I do a lot of these old swing tunes. I felt it was more of a late 30's or early 40's tune. Regardless, it was a terrific listen! Had the swing and "stuff" that symbolized the era. Very nice lyric, too! Enjoyed it a bunch! best to you ...

Alan
© PG Music Forums