PG Music Home
Posted By: Scott C Haunts - Updated - 10/22/19 08:27 PM
Here is a new instrumental. Took the title of the song from the original style I started with. Replaced most of the real tracks as the song progressed.

Haunts

Here is the band.

****** Song Summary *************
Title: HAUNTS

RT675 B3 Organ
RT2482-Bass
RT3278 Vocal Mmms
RT2457 Strings
RT3267 Cello
Real Guitar 854 12 String
Real Drums RockEven8

Guitars Gibson ES335 for first verse. Gretsch Penguin for the second and third verse.
Amp was a Marshall 1974x

Effects were processed through two Eventide H9's
Posted By: rayc Re: Haunts - 10/22/19 08:32 PM
Scott,
Really nice playing but the 1st minute and a half had the backing at almost buried level with the snares slap being the most prominent element after the solo guitar.
I reckon the solo playing would benefit from a more snug fitting backing level.
In terms of the song the guitar is alive and the backing is a ghostly visitation.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Haunts - 10/22/19 09:23 PM
This is a really lovely instrumental. I especially love the cello. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: bluage Re: Haunts - 10/23/19 04:11 AM
'Scott C'...

Where do you find the inspiration for your instrumental productions??? I feel that you are on some kind of mission to see how deep you can get into your soul. Every time I listen to your compositions, I hear less and less instrumentation, and what there is of it, is arranged in such a quiet way that it's like the other side of your song, but in another dimension.

Haunts doesn't suggest spooks, goblins, skeletons, or bats, but it does evoke spirits that desire to break through the veil that separates us from them, to reassure us that there is, indeed, a 'peaceable kingdom', somewhere...

There's more to music than sounds.

LOREN (a.k.a. 'bluage')
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Haunts - 10/23/19 06:30 AM
Nice instrumental, Scott! I always like your tone and note choices.

I think Ray might be right about the bed being too low in the mix, would be worth trying to bring that up and see how the track sounds; very hard to hear some of the elements you mention. And that would enhance the guitar because it would be playing off something.

Cool little lick at the end with your whammy pedal!
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Haunts - 10/23/19 11:11 AM
Nicely done, Scott - I found it flowed really nicely, and the cello was a great touch. Makes for a unique and engaging listen.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Haunts - 10/23/19 12:03 PM
Hi Scott,

I hadn't heard from you for a while. Than, this morning SC warned me, Scott has a new song! I listened to it first thing this morning! Well, morning... I mean 3 o'clock. I couldn't sleep, probably thinking of your absence.

As always, your soloplaying is swell and this melody is very nice, a bit dreamy (could be the time of day I listened). But as Ray stated, your backing band is too soft compared with your sologuitar. Give their volume a push (upwards!) then all will fit well. Unless you did it on purpose, therefore you called it Haunted, didn't you?

Nice day,
Hans
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Haunts - 10/23/19 12:40 PM
Scott,

Really like your tone and effects and playing in this. Might be my favorite of yours. Cool stuff...

(I agree with Ray and Dave about the backing levels.)

Really enjoyed your haunting melody... Cool ending...

fj
Posted By: Scott C Re: Haunts - 10/23/19 11:45 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Scott,
Really nice playing but the 1st minute and a half had the backing at almost buried level with the snares slap being the most prominent element after the solo guitar.
I reckon the solo playing would benefit from a more snug fitting backing level.
In terms of the song the guitar is alive and the backing is a ghostly visitation.

Thanks Ray for checking out the song. Thanks for the feedback on the mix. I have a new pair of hearing aids and I am totally lost with the backtrack solo volumes. I mix first with the headphones then try and adjust with the monitors after. I have bumped up the volume of the backtrack. Funny when I compared the original wav to the Soundcloud playback it is totally different.
Posted By: rayc Re: Haunts - 10/24/19 05:10 AM
NOW the true coolness of it comes across - fabulous.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Haunts - 10/24/19 10:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
This is a really lovely instrumental. I especially love the cello. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Ember Glad you liked the song.

Originally Posted By: bluage
'Scott C'...

Where do you find the inspiration for your instrumental productions??? I feel that you are on some kind of mission to see how deep you can get into your soul. Every time I listen to your compositions, I hear less and less instrumentation, and what there is of it, is arranged in such a quiet way that it's like the other side of your song, but in another dimension.

Haunts doesn't suggest spooks, goblins, skeletons, or bats, but it does evoke spirits that desire to break through the veil that separates us from them, to reassure us that there is, indeed, a 'peaceable kingdom', somewhere...

There's more to music than sounds.

LOREN (a.k.a. 'bluage')

Loren thanks so much for taking the time to write such a nice review. Definitely brought a smile to my face. Glad you liked the song.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Haunts - Updated - 10/24/19 02:13 PM
Sounds great Scott!
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Haunts - Updated - 10/24/19 03:46 PM
Nice playing and nice arrangement, guess I'm hearing the fixed version.

Again sounds just right on my go to Devices.

Thanks
Posted By: PeterF Re: Haunts - Updated - 10/24/19 07:18 PM
Scott

Very nice indeed. Some tasty melodic playing and excellent tone and nice use of effects.
Also liked the whammy ending.

Peter
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Haunts - Updated - 10/24/19 09:20 PM
Scott,
Very nice track! Your guitar works extremely well with orchestra strings. The only thing I would like to hear backing track a little louder, especially drums.
Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Haunts - Updated - 10/25/19 05:27 PM
Man, what a great idea to use the strings.
They are perfect for supporting the melody.

Your guitar playing is sublime and the
tone couldn't be better for the for this piece.

...so easy to get lost in it.

Excellent!

J&B

PS

Bud here: My audiologist and I designed a program for my hearing
aids just for my mixing. smile On the other hand Janice can hear a humming bird
a mile away!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Haunts - 10/27/19 11:12 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice instrumental, Scott! I always like your tone and note choices.

I think Ray might be right about the bed being too low in the mix, would be worth trying to bring that up and see how the track sounds; very hard to hear some of the elements you mention. And that would enhance the guitar because it would be playing off something.

Cool little lick at the end with your whammy pedal!

Thanks Dave for checking out the song I bumped up the backtrack a bit. Glad you liked the song..
Posted By: Scott C Re: Haunts - 10/27/19 11:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nicely done, Scott - I found it flowed really nicely, and the cello was a great touch. Makes for a unique and engaging listen.

Thanks for sharing smile

Thanks Derek for checking out the song. Glad you liked it..

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Scott,

I hadn't heard from you for a while. Than, this morning SC warned me, Scott has a new song! I listened to it first thing this morning! Well, morning... I mean 3 o'clock. I couldn't sleep, probably thinking of your absence.

As always, your solo playing is swell and this melody is very nice, a bit dreamy (could be the time of day I listened). But as Ray stated, your backing band is too soft compared with your solo guitar. Give their volume a push (upwards!) then all will fit well. Unless you did it on purpose, therefore you called it Haunted, didn't you?

Nice day,
Hans

Thanks Hans for checking out the song. Yes I agree the backing track was to far back in the mix. I have new hearing aids that were working a bit to good. Glad you liked the song.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Haunts - 10/27/19 02:33 PM
Scott,
Lots of emotion in your playing- especially when the tone changes.
This is one to drift away on- loved it!

Robert
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Haunts - Updated - 10/27/19 03:17 PM
hi scott I do like your style and choice of notes and medley as said backing tracks up a bit that said I enjoy your work always eric
Posted By: edshaw Re: Haunts - Updated - 10/27/19 08:15 PM
Yeah, Scott. Like the name says. (Just in time for Halloween)
I liked the background level because for my tastes it supported the essence of the guitar sounds. A lot of pure expression, there. Solid string striking.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Haunts - 10/29/19 07:50 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Scott,

Really like your tone and effects and playing in this. Might be my favorite of yours. Cool stuff...

fj

Thanks Floyd. Glad you liked the song. Gave the backtrack a bump after yours and Ray's suggestion.

Thanks for the help on the mix. I appreciated it.

Thanks for checking out the song. Good to hear from you David. Glad you liked the song
Posted By: Mark K Re: Haunts - 10/30/19 05:58 PM
Hauntingly beautiful. Enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Haunts - Updated - 10/30/19 06:09 PM
Hi Scott, very evocative tune. Guitar playing very good as usual.

Mike B.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Haunts - 10/31/19 07:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Mark K
Hauntingly beautiful. Enjoyed the listen.

Thanks Mark. Glad you liked the song.

Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Hi Scott, very evocative tune. Guitar playing very good as usual.

Mike B.

Thanks Mike for checking out the song. Gald you liked it
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Haunts - 10/31/19 08:56 AM
Well done on the guitar playing Scott! I like the piece and its laid back style. It something to sit back a listen to after a busy day. You can crawl up on a couch and lose yourself in this piece. Keep coming up with gems like this one!

I agree that hearing aids are a problem in mixing. I have them also. I still haven't found a great solution to getting the proper settings in them to but I have adjusted to them. I find that I can now hear those high frequencies and upper mid ranges and were driving me crazy in the mix. I had one piece that the cymbals were so loud they drowned the mix out but to my ears it sounded good (that was without the hearing aids).
Posted By: Scott C Re: Haunts - 10/31/19 07:59 PM
Originally Posted By: RichRayer
Well done on the guitar playing Scott! I like the piece and its laid back style. It something to sit back a listen to after a busy day. You can crawl up on a couch and lose yourself in this piece. Keep coming up with gems like this one!

I agree that hearing aids are a problem in mixing. I have them also. I still haven't found a great solution to getting the proper settings in them to but I have adjusted to them. I find that I can now hear those high frequencies and upper mid ranges and were driving me crazy in the mix. I had one piece that the cymbals were so loud they drowned the mix out but to my ears it sounded good (that was without the hearing aids).

Thanks Rich for checking out the song. Glad you liked it.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Haunts - Updated - 10/31/19 08:11 PM
Wow, what an ethereal melody and tone. You guitar tiptoes lightly over the backing tracks to produce such a pleasing composition.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Haunts - Updated - 11/02/19 11:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Wow, what an ethereal melody and tone. You guitar tiptoes lightly over the backing tracks to produce such a pleasing composition.

Thanks for checking out the song It is appreciated
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Haunts - Updated - 11/02/19 02:23 PM
A very nice instrumental song.

Gentle, delicate guitar work delivers the piece beautifully.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Haunts - Updated - 11/02/19 04:27 PM
Not what I expected from the title. wink

Interesting listen. I didn't initially grab my ear, but it grew on me the second through.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Haunts - Updated - 11/02/19 08:42 PM
Hi Scott.

This is a very restful presentation that seriously soothes the soul.

It's Sunday morning here in Melbourne, it's been raining overnight and the day looks a little bit gloomy and overcast... believe it or not your instrumental is a perfect fit and a terrific mood enhancer for the ambience the morning has created.

I enjoyed where you took me.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Haunts - Updated - 11/03/19 02:14 AM
Scott,

Very nice playing and nice Tone!
A typical Scott sound.
I also agree with Ray and Dave about the backing levels.
And I agree with floyd.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Haunts - Updated - 11/03/19 06:23 AM
Hi Scott,

this is excellent!

Very nice playing and I love the tone a lot. Creates a very special atmosphere. Like Ray mentioned the backing track might have been a bit louder for me, too, but maybe that might have even spoiled the vibe...

It's just great the way it is !'

Stefan
Posted By: Scott C Re: Haunts - Updated - 11/04/19 11:36 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
A very nice instrumental song.

Gentle, delicate guitar work delivers the piece beautifully.

Thanks for checking out the song I appreciated it

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Not what I expected from the title. wink

Interesting listen. I didn't initially grab my ear, but it grew on me the second through.

Thanks David Yes I started the song out quietly and tried to build through the second verse and finish softly again. Was struggling with my hearing aids and the mix with the head phones.

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Scott.

This is a very restful presentation that seriously soothes the soul.

It's Sunday morning here in Melbourne, it's been raining overnight and the day looks a little bit gloomy and overcast... believe it or not your instrumental is a perfect fit and a terrific mood enhancer for the ambience the morning has created.

I enjoyed where you took me.

All the best,
Noel

Thanks Noel for checking out the song. So glad you liked it. Have some new delays and they are proving most helpful with the ambient feel to the song.

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Scott,

Very nice playing and nice Tone!
A typical Scott sound.
I also agree with Ray and Dave about the backing levels.
And I agree with floyd.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks Shigeki Thanks for checking out the song. Will work on the backtrack and try and improve the levels.

Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Scott,

this is excellent!

Very nice playing and I love the tone a lot. Creates a very special atmosphere. Like Ray mentioned the backing track might have been a bit louder for me, too, but maybe that might have even spoiled the vibe...

It's just great the way it is !'

Stefan

Thanks Stefan

Glad you liked the song. Yes I was trying to change the effect of the different verses. Lost a little in the translation :-) will work on the backtrack volumes.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Haunts - 11/07/19 08:45 PM
Scott,

fj

Definitely agree with all that!! Very pretty but backing track is too buried. Nice stuff!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Jim Re: Haunts - Updated - 11/07/19 08:46 PM
Very nice haunting melody...
With lovely guitar tones...
I always like listening to your tunes!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Haunts - 11/08/19 01:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Scott,

fj

Definitely agree with all that!! Very pretty but backing track is too buried. Nice stuff!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg for checking out the song Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: Jim
Very nice haunting melody...
With lovely guitar tones...
I always like listening to your tunes!

Thanks Jim for the kind words Glad you liked the song
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Haunts - Updated - 11/10/19 11:09 PM
Perfect title for the tune Scott! The guitar sounds great! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Scott C Re: Haunts - Updated - 11/14/19 10:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Perfect title for the tune Scott! The guitar sounds great! Thanks, Torrey

Good to hear from you Torrey. Glad you liked the song
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: Haunts - Updated - 11/28/19 11:58 PM
Hi Scott. I've only just discovered this terrific, aptly titled song. Love your guitar work and tone.
The backing works really well too - great choice of tracks.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: Jim Re: Haunts - Updated - 12/15/19 06:34 PM
Thanks Scott...
For taking time to listen to “There Won't Be No Christmas This Year” ...
You will find my response to your comments there

Also I’d like to mention...
You really add to the success of this User Showcase forum!
Thanks again...
Posted By: Scott C Re: Haunts - Updated - 12/15/19 07:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim
Thanks Scott...
For taking time to listen to “There Won't Be No Christmas This Year” ...
You will find my response to your comments there

Also I’d like to mention...
You really add to the success of this User Showcase forum!

Thanks again...

Thanks Jim. I really own this forum allot. I have met some really cool people during my active time here. There is no doubt the forum has kept me engaged in my playing. My collaborations with Robert have been my favourite song I have been involved in
Posted By: RichMac Re: Haunts - Updated - 12/16/19 09:45 PM
Hi Scott.

That was beautiful.

Reminds me of my favorite guitar piece.
Peter green's Albatross.

Very tasty.

Oh yes and hearing aids.
What is the proper sound of something.
I guess it's all relative.
To something....... Somewhere.......

Cheers.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Haunts - Updated - 12/17/19 11:44 AM
Scott,
very peaceful and beautiful guitar playing!
I wish drums were more pronounced.
Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
© PG Music Forums