PG Music Home
Posted By: BlueAttitude High Hopes - 10/29/19 08:15 AM
Rock Ballad this time up: High Hopes

The Band:

1036:Bass, Electric, NorthernRockBallad Ev 065
2644:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModernPopHardMurray Ev16 075
1003:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Rhythm ClassicRockPicking Ev16 065
1037:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm NorthernRockBallad Ev 065

I also used the UJAM Iron VSTi during the last chorus.

Chris is playing the piano, and I'm playing the acoustic guitar leads.

Drums and percussion are EZDrummer2

Mixed with Reaper using plugins from Waves and iZotope, mastered with Ozone 8.

HIGH HOPES (2019 Christiane Spruit)

Let alone, what I feel
let alone, time can heal
cut and run and don't look back
for those we left behind
the one we stood by
the scar of a heartfelt goodbye

High Hopes
that the wind of change will blow
It is easier when you know
the light will finally show

SOLO

no matter who we upset
let alone, my regrets
we don’t turn around, to forget
but nothing, nothing will last

High Hopes
that the wind of change will blow
so much easier when you know
high hopes, high hopes
it is easier, when the light finally shows

The reason you go
For I will not know
your darkness, your night and day
who you care for, While closing a door?
But You'll never know until you go

All comments welcome!

Edit: Chris just did a video:
Posted By: floyd jane Re: High Hopes - 10/29/19 09:02 AM
Dave & Chris,

SO many good things here.

Chris' vocal is OUTSTANDING. She just seems to get better and better - though, I don't know that ANYONE could sing this ANY better.

And, again, kudos for the how well the vocal sits in the mix. Perfectly. Often the thing that folks struggle with the most.

The arrangement is awesome. Great build. The acoustic lead is super...goosebumps-good - and MAN! does it sit in the mix right!! Dave, your mixing skills - through the roof... Ear candy all over the place.

And...another excellent write.

Stellar mix.

Repeat... this is SO good!!

fj
Posted By: sslechta Re: High Hopes - 10/29/19 11:49 AM
So disappointed it wasn't the cover of Sammy Hagar's song of the same name..... just kidding! smile

Really loved Chris's piano sound. Was that direct from a keyboard or through a synth module? Interested in the details sir.

Her singing awesome as usual. I did recognize your UJAM Iron again. Sounds great!

I did end up getting the UJAM Virtual Bassist ROYAL. Liking the Bass sounds so far.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: High Hopes - 10/29/19 12:20 PM
Nicely done - a really good mix, and the vocals on this are tremendous. It really showcases a strong understanding of songwriting - delightfully catchy without being overbearing.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: High Hopes - 10/29/19 01:58 PM
Dave & Chris,
Wonderful dynamics again on the build of this - Chris knocks the vocal out of the park ( love the way she punches out "high hopes" and then reins in the intensity a little).
Very cool acoustic guitar and keyboard together, totally pro production... you guys are the real deal.

Robert
Posted By: beatmaster Re: High Hopes - 10/29/19 04:14 PM
This was awesome vocals and playing were fantastic, overall sound tops and mixed so well.

This is what its all about .

Thanks
Posted By: Scott C Re: High Hopes - 10/29/19 05:44 PM
Wow what an awesome vocal. Just loved the piano intro. Boy does your acoustic sound cool as well. Such a quality song.. Well done..
Posted By: MarioD Re: High Hopes - 10/29/19 08:59 PM
Great intro!

Chris's vocal is outstanding.

Your mix was outstanding. Everything about this one is spot on!

Super guitar chops also!

We need more songs like this!
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: High Hopes - 10/29/19 09:17 PM
I really like what you did with the drums and the acoustic! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: PeterF Re: High Hopes - 10/29/19 09:46 PM
Dave & Chris

Beautiful and powerful vocal and a gorgeous composition.

Lovely touch on the acoustic and an excellent choice of notes.

Simply superb work all round.

Peter
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: High Hopes - 10/29/19 10:49 PM
Oh yes, this is really sensational.

Vocally perfect, musically beautiful, production: outstanding.

A really beautiful ballad from every aspect.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: High Hopes - 10/29/19 11:28 PM
Dave and Chris
Quality all the way. Superb vocal and beautiful tone and clarity on the acoustic.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: rayc Re: High Hopes - 10/29/19 11:56 PM
Excellent - yep, excellent.
Posted By: Al-David Re: High Hopes - 10/30/19 01:31 AM
Hi Dave & Chris ...

WOW! This is just so good in so many ways. Love that intro ... exceptional!

The tone on your guitar is always so perfect for the song it complements. And Chris has such a wonderful voice. You two never disappoint ... ever! On this particular song, I felt a bit of a Stevie Nix element in Chris' vocal. That is a good thing, in my opinion.

Kudos!!!!

Alan
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Hopes - 10/30/19 06:05 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Dave & Chris,

SO many good things here.

Chris' vocal is OUTSTANDING. She just seems to get better and better - though, I don't know that ANYONE could sing this ANY better.

And, again, kudos for the how well the vocal sits in the mix. Perfectly. Often the thing that folks struggle with the most.

The arrangement is awesome. Great build. The acoustic lead is super...goosebumps-good - and MAN! does it sit in the mix right!! Dave, your mixing skills - through the roof... Ear candy all over the place.

And...another excellent write.

Stellar mix.

Repeat... this is SO good!!

fj

Thanks as always, floyd!

You have been there for us ever since we first started posting songs here a few years ago, and we both really appreciate it smile
Posted By: jannesan Re: High Hopes - 10/30/19 01:31 PM
Excellent mix, rich and still has great clarity. Great sound in piano and the lead guitar. Super vocals with enjoyable dynamics. Beautiful chorus melody and chording. Classic rock ballad.

And the video is really lovely with all the mist and clouds.

Janne
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Hopes - 10/30/19 07:01 PM
Originally Posted By: sslechta
So disappointed it wasn't the cover of Sammy Hagar's song of the same name..... just kidding! smile

Really loved Chris's piano sound. Was that direct from a keyboard or through a synth module? Interested in the details sir.

Her singing awesome as usual. I did recognize your UJAM Iron again. Sounds great!

I did end up getting the UJAM Virtual Bassist ROYAL. Liking the Bass sounds so far.

Hey Steve,

Chris uses a midi keyboard and then processes through a VSTi. Not sure which one to be honest, but she was pretty happy with a new Rhodes one she just got. From Toontrack maybe? (Still waiting for them to release EZBass, should be soon now!)

Thanks for the listen and comments, appreciated!
Posted By: sslechta Re: High Hopes - 10/30/19 07:33 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Not sure which one to be honest, but she was pretty happy with a new Rhodes one she just got.

I was getting a classic electric piano vibe on the song. That's probably it. Thanks!
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: High Hopes - 10/30/19 08:57 PM
Great gestalt on this song, it all fit so well and gave much more than its sum.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: High Hopes - 10/31/19 02:43 AM
Dave and Chris,

You should be famous!

This is a spectacular listen.

Chris: Your singing is magical. The angst in your voice plus your ability to carry the listener along created an extraordinary listening effect for me. Very nice piano work too. All I could think of at the end was, "More please!"

Dave: Your instrumental work and your productions are outstandingly good. You've picked up lots of producing abilities over the years and your productions now sound truly beyond wonderful. I'm very impressed with how you've tamed that Bass Realtracks (1036). As I listened, a ton of thoughts of admiration for your skills filled my mind.

Magnificent listening.... from absolutely every direction!

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Hopes - 10/31/19 08:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nicely done - a really good mix, and the vocals on this are tremendous. It really showcases a strong understanding of songwriting - delightfully catchy without being overbearing.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the listen and comment!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Hopes - 10/31/19 08:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Dave & Chris,
Wonderful dynamics again on the build of this - Chris knocks the vocal out of the park ( love the way she punches out "high hopes" and then reins in the intensity a little).
Very cool acoustic guitar and keyboard together, totally pro production... you guys are the real deal.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Well, at the end of the day it’s all about having fun as far as I’m concerned. If we can produce a decent sounding track as part of that, it’s a bonus wink

Thanks for the support, always appreciated!
Posted By: Tangmo Re: High Hopes - 11/01/19 03:37 AM
Loaded with muted power that bursts through on the title line. Chris' voice and EP carry the song well with the BIAB tracks pulling it all together. I'm not sure I've ever heard you play acoustic lead. This was just great here. Proof you are a player who well uses, but does not rely on, electric tone to deliver the emotion. Very much enjoyed.
Posted By: PeterF Re: High Hopes - 11/01/19 06:50 AM
Dave / Chris

Just watched the video - fits the song mood very well - nice video clip choices to compliment the mood.

Peter
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Hopes - 11/01/19 10:25 PM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
This was awesome vocals and playing were fantastic, overall sound tops and mixed so well.

This is what its all about .

Thanks

Thanks so much, we appreciate it smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Hopes - 11/01/19 10:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Wow what an awesome vocal. Just loved the piano intro. Boy does your acoustic sound cool as well. Such a quality song.. Well done..

Thanks, Scott!

I’ve been wanting to get an acoustic lead in one of our songs for a while now, this one just seemed right. I used CLA Unplugged on it BTW, great plugin.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: High Hopes - 11/02/19 09:10 AM
Hi Dave and Chris,

A very nice song with a strong build up to the choruses in the final part.
Chris did -of course- an outstanding job on the vocals and you on all the other instruments!

But given the drama in the song, I expected a more 'howling' electric solo guitar. One that cries out the misery. I hope I made myself clear on this. But that's a matter of taste of course, and no criticism whatsoever. That is not possible with such a good song.

Bye,
Hans
Posted By: dcuny Re: High Hopes - 11/02/19 10:58 AM
I also got a strong Stevie Nicks feel listening to the vocal.

Really nice work all around.

The final drum fill fooled me - I expected one more round of the chorus after that. It really gave the ending a powerful ending.

Loved it all - superb work all around. laugh

The ToonTrack bass is coming out soon? Dang, this is the last day the Modo bass is on sale for $99. Now you've given me something else to think about spending my money on. frown
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Hopes - 11/03/19 08:16 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Great intro!

Chris's vocal is outstanding.

Your mix was outstanding. Everything about this one is spot on!

Super guitar chops also!

We need more songs like this!

Thanks very much, Mario!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Hopes - 11/03/19 08:18 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Dave & Chris

Beautiful and powerful vocal and a gorgeous composition.

Lovely touch on the acoustic and an excellent choice of notes.

Simply superb work all round.

Peter

Thanks for the listen and comments, Peter!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Hopes - 11/03/19 08:19 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Oh yes, this is really sensational.

Vocally perfect, musically beautiful, production: outstanding.

A really beautiful ballad from every aspect.

Thanks for stopping by, Trev!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Hopes - 11/03/19 05:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Dave and Chris
Quality all the way. Superb vocal and beautiful tone and clarity on the acoustic.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks, Leon!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Hopes - 11/04/19 12:51 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Excellent - yep, excellent.

Cheers, Ray!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Hopes - 11/05/19 10:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Dave & Chris ...

WOW! This is just so good in so many ways. Love that intro ... exceptional!

The tone on your guitar is always so perfect for the song it complements. And Chris has such a wonderful voice. You two never disappoint ... ever! On this particular song, I felt a bit of a Stevie Nix element in Chris' vocal. That is a good thing, in my opinion.

Kudos!!!!

Alan

I very much appreciate that, Alan, thanks!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: High Hopes - 11/05/19 11:01 AM
That was really good. Totally enjoyed it...and the video is well done.

Personally, I had a hard time making out the lyrics. If it wasn't for the written words, I would have missed a bunch of the meaning. I'm not sure if it was just my ears or the EQ on the vox, or the cheap speakers I'm listening on. I noticed this on an earlier song with Chris singing also.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Hopes - 11/06/19 08:12 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Excellent mix, rich and still has great clarity. Great sound in piano and the lead guitar. Super vocals with enjoyable dynamics. Beautiful chorus melody and chording. Classic rock ballad.

And the video is really lovely with all the mist and clouds.

Janne

Thanks for the comments and checking out the video, Janne!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Hopes - 11/06/19 08:15 AM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Great gestalt on this song, it all fit so well and gave much more than its sum.

Needed to google "gestalt", never heard that word before. Thanks!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Hopes - 11/06/19 08:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Dave and Chris,

You should be famous!

This is a spectacular listen.

Chris: Your singing is magical. The angst in your voice plus your ability to carry the listener along created an extraordinary listening effect for me. Very nice piano work too. All I could think of at the end was, "More please!"

Dave: Your instrumental work and your productions are outstandingly good. You've picked up lots of producing abilities over the years and your productions now sound truly beyond wonderful. I'm very impressed with how you've tamed that Bass Realtracks (1036). As I listened, a ton of thoughts of admiration for your skills filled my mind.

Magnificent listening.... from absolutely every direction!

Regards,
Noel

Well, that is one of the nicest reviews we have ever received! Thanks, Noel smile

As far as the production side of things go, it has been a fun journey over the last few years learning new things and seeing everyone else's skills improve too. Hanging out here has certainly helped!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: High Hopes - 11/06/19 07:05 PM
Janice immediately commented on how powerful yet pure Chris's voice is.
And Bud adds, yep, but it also has that slight edge that gives it a
lot of soul.

This tune is a showcase for one of BlueAttitude's signature traits and that
is wonderful dynamics. Outstanding.

And the acoustic guitar and piano performances add just the right
amount of tasteful support.

Strong production in all aspects and a very nice video that added to
and distracted nothing from the song.

Y'all are so consistent in quality productions and us listeners are all
the better for it.

J&B
Posted By: Crossroads Re: High Hopes - 11/07/19 04:58 AM
Hi Dave hiChris,

that's just another beautiful dish coming out of your musical kitchen. Very soulfully sung, Chris, and I DO LIKE those acoustic solo parts dave a lot (like I love all your guitar jobs anyway).

A beautiful video with terrific sights, Chris, perfectly fitting the song.

Really well done, guys, enjoyed my listen and watch a lot.

All the best,

Stefan
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Hopes - 11/07/19 07:52 AM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Loaded with muted power that bursts through on the title line. Chris' voice and EP carry the song well with the BIAB tracks pulling it all together. I'm not sure I've ever heard you play acoustic lead. This was just great here. Proof you are a player who well uses, but does not rely on, electric tone to deliver the emotion. Very much enjoyed.

Hey Tangmo, I did acoustic leads a couple of times back in the AP days when I was doing those latin/rock instrumentals, but it is not something I do that often.

Thanks, happy you liked it!

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Dave and Chris,

A very nice song with a strong build up to the choruses in the final part.
Chris did -of course- an outstanding job on the vocals and you on all the other instruments!

But given the drama in the song, I expected a more 'howling' electric solo guitar. One that cries out the misery. I hope I made myself clear on this. But that's a matter of taste of course, and no criticism whatsoever. That is not possible with such a good song.

Bye,
Hans

Hi Hans,

Well, a screaming electric guitar solo would have been the obvious choice, I agree. But, we have done many songs using that particular formula. For this song I wanted to do something different.

Thanks for the listen and comment!

Originally Posted By: dcuny
I also got a strong Stevie Nicks feel listening to the vocal.

Really nice work all around.

The final drum fill fooled me - I expected one more round of the chorus after that. It really gave the ending a powerful ending.

Loved it all - superb work all around. laugh

The ToonTrack bass is coming out soon? Dang, this is the last day the Modo bass is on sale for $99. Now you've given me something else to think about spending my money on. frown

Hi David,

ezBass was supposed to be released Q4 of this year, but I read over on the Toontrack FB group the other day that they are going to hold off until 2020.

Thanks for the listen and comments smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Hopes - 11/07/19 07:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
That was really good. Totally enjoyed it...and the video is well done.

Personally, I had a hard time making out the lyrics. If it wasn't for the written words, I would have missed a bunch of the meaning. I'm not sure if it was just my ears or the EQ on the vox, or the cheap speakers I'm listening on. I noticed this on an earlier song with Chris singing also.

I have no problem making out the lyrics, but of course I know what they are ;P

Thanks for stopping by, Herb.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Janice immediately commented on how powerful yet pure Chris's voice is.
And Bud adds, yep, but it also has that slight edge that gives it a
lot of soul.

This tune is a showcase for one of BlueAttitude's signature traits and that
is wonderful dynamics. Outstanding.

And the acoustic guitar and piano performances add just the right
amount of tasteful support.

Strong production in all aspects and a very nice video that added to
and distracted nothing from the song.

Y'all are so consistent in quality productions and us listeners are all
the better for it.

J&B

Thanks as always Janice and Bud!

Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Dave hiChris,

that's just another beautiful dish coming out of your musical kitchen. Very soulfully sung, Chris, and I DO LIKE those acoustic solo parts dave a lot (like I love all your guitar jobs anyway).

A beautiful video with terrific sights, Chris, perfectly fitting the song.

Really well done, guys, enjoyed my listen and watch a lot.

All the best,

Stefan

I'm happy you liked this one, Stefan!

P.S. the video is pretty amateur compared to the amazing stuff you guys do! But, fun to do anyway.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: High Hopes - 11/07/19 10:07 AM
Back again, still love this song !!.

Thanks
Posted By: Mark K Re: High Hopes - 11/07/19 08:03 PM
Quality without being antiseptic. Awesome vocals. Great use of dynamics to build up the emotion. Enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: High Hopes - 11/07/19 10:14 PM
The opening piano really hooked me in. And the minute the vocal came in, the song reeled me in completely. Once again, your guitar meshes in so nicely around the vocal.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: High Hopes - 11/08/19 08:13 AM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Back again, still love this song !!.

Thanks

Thanks for giving up another spin!

Originally Posted By: Mark K
Quality without being antiseptic. Awesome vocals. Great use of dynamics to build up the emotion. Enjoyed the listen.

Thanks, Mark.

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
The opening piano really hooked me in. And the minute the vocal came in, the song reeled me in completely. Once again, your guitar meshes in so nicely around the vocal.

Thanks for the listen and comments!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: High Hopes - 11/10/19 10:01 AM
Beautiful tune Dave and Chris! Everything sits just right in this one! The vocal phrasing and delivery are excellent! Chris always records top notch vocals on your tracks and this is no different! Guitar work is stellar once again Dave! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Deej56 Re: High Hopes - 11/10/19 12:24 PM
Dave and Chris,

Love that opening—really pretty . . . and then that subtle introduction of the acoustic guitar—nicely done. Impressive vocal. And an expertly accomplished mix. Outstanding work!

My humble regards,

Deej
Posted By: Jim Re: High Hopes - 11/11/19 05:29 PM
Another great collaboration...
Your guitar work...
Chris' vocals...
The mix...
The production...
All nicely done...
I enjoyed listening!
Posted By: Jim Re: High Hopes - 12/07/19 12:39 AM
Thanks Dave...
Here’s a bump & a gold star for you ...
For taking time to listen to “There Won't Be No Christmas This Year”...
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=568839&gonew=1#UNREAD
You will find more comments there...
You really add to the success of this User Showcase forum!
Thanks again...
© PG Music Forums